Ricky Rubio into the 2009 Draft?

don042488
don042488's picture
Ricky Rubio into the 2009 Draft?

Word is, that if Ricky Rubio is selected in the top 3, of the 2009 NBA Draft, his agent just may make enter this year, instead of next year. Rubio's father, stated that his son would have to be one of the top 3 picks, to buyout his $4.7 million contract in Europe.

kpi03

That would make this draft class much better. I think he is a lock for the top two, probably going second after blake griffin if he comes out.

ejsix
ejsix's picture
Buyout a problem

The only problem I see is that $4.7M buyout. In this day and age, would one of the bottom feeding teams be willing to buyout that contract? Everyone is trying to save now.

Evan_Milberg
Depends on how the lottery shapes up

The two lottery teams that I think are most likely to take a PG in the lottery are Sacramento and Minnesota. As the standings are right now, Sacramento has a much better chance of getting a top 3 pick than Minnesota. Minnesota will probably move Foye to SG permanently next year and try to upgrade over Telfair. I think both would jump all over Rubio with a top 3 pick. Also if Memphis were to land a top 3 pick, they would have to take a serious look at Rubio too even though Conley's getting better.

I think there's a very good chance he could end up with the Kings. If you look at their depth chart, they have solid players at every position, but they could stand to upgrade over Udrih at PG by taking Rubio.

gberg23
gberg23's picture
Yeah it's a good thought,

Yeah it's a good thought, but their isn't any chance it will happen.

James-Harden-13
James-Harden-13's picture

do you think don would post this if he hadn't read somewhere there is a chance rubio is entering the '09 draft? obviously we all know he has stated he will go out for the '10 draft. but apparently there is some new information that has come light. instead of saying it isn't going to happen because that is what previous information has lead us to believe, how about we think about the fact that it might happen. i can't believe i am typing this but you kids on here are so stubborn and act like you know it all, grow up.

James-Harden-13
i assume this is the article that don read
gberg23
gberg23's picture
Don't have to freak out

Don't have to freak out about it, if it happens then I'll admit I was wrong until then, stop calling people kids. I said what I said because I have read a lot about Rubio and that it is very unlikely that he will enter. Not to act better then Don. Don is one of the best writers on this site and certainly knows more then me on most subjects. I do know a lot about this topic though, so I made it known.

baller03
yeah

i know jamesharden13 u dont have to suddenly get all pissed. jeeez callin these people kids cmon now

auber
auber's picture
Rubio

I think if rubio declares even the team at number one will have to consider drafting him over griffin, who im not entirely sold on. Although the chances Rubio does declare for the 09 Draft are very slim, I think he's better off coming over sooner than later. The 2010 Class is nothing to slouch about so why not take advantage of the lack luster 09 Draft and assure yourself a top 5 spot rather than gambling on a top 2 in 2010

James-Harden-13
freak out

you are kids and i will freak out. the people on this site have nearly ruined it for me. the site was so much better when the experts with actual ncaa and nba contacts were the only ones voicing their opinions. berg, regardless of the fact that you have 'read a lot' about rubio, whatever that means. the article and the information about rubio possibly coming out for the '09 draft is brand new, so your point is moot. and i find it highly impossible that any one on this forum would admit to something when they are wrong, yourself included.

twolf
twolf's picture
I totally agree with Harden.

I totally agree with Harden. Why can't everybody just stop acting like experts and give people like Aran Smith a reason to speak?

don042488
don042488's picture
James Harden 13

Good looks on the support...U guys neva know, Rubio just may enter this year because it's such a weak draft and one that lacks any international flavor to it. The 2010 draft is setting up to be much like the 2008 draft, dominated by an abundance of freshmen. Derrick Favors, John Wall, Xavier Henry, Lance Stephenson, Renardo Sidney, DeMarcus Cousins, and possibly Avery Bradley are likely one and dones...Stephenson probably not off production, but because his financial issues, he has a 1 year old son already at 18.

Coherent
I read that story on another

I read that story on another site as well that Rubio may come out this year. It is a possibility, but the team will have to agree to buy out his contract or he will return to europe and play one more season. But even if he is drafted, he can choose to play in Euro League another year anyway.

gberg23
gberg23's picture
Harden, calm down

I didn't make the comment to offend anyone. Definitely not to ruin your site. I'll keep my word and if he enters I will admit I was wrong. Just because some people won't admit they are wrong, doesn't mean i won't. Honestly it's not that hard, I don't know why you can't understand that. Your comment about me reading a lot about Rubio and you saying whatever that means, that makes no sense. That is you being pissed off for no apparent reason. I have absolutely nothing against you. And to Don, I'm sorry I made the comment, and you're the best writer on this site, hands down. I didn't mean to offend you.

don042488
don042488's picture
No Insult

To gberg23: Thanks a lot...U didn't offend me, it's okay, everyone has their own opinion, that's why debates exist...lol

cyclo
Ricky Rubio

The Clippers will take Rubio if he's available.

Mr. Basketball
Mr. Basketball's picture
i agree: Clippers + rubio =

i agree: Clippers + rubio = will happen

Sheed36
"Sources close to the

"Sources close to the situation indicate that Rubio’s family is now in favor of him entering this year, and that will almost certainly be on the early-entry list when it’s released on April 27th. His buyout still needs to be negotiated, which is easier said than done, but a final decision on whether to stay in likely won’t come until very close to the pull-out deadline, on June 19th." DX

dtmfr
Rubio can't shoot the ball.

Rubio can't shoot the ball. Very good at everything else. Maybe another Jason Kidd type. Can you win an NBA title with Rubio. I have my doubts.

VIC82
Ricky like Kidd - It is not a bad deal

I am so sorry but you do not know anything about Ricky. He is a tremendous player with just 18. Plays in Spanish league from 14 and was very near wining the Olimpyc games with Spanish national team being the main play maker after Carlderon injury. I watch his games everyweek here in Spain and maybe he is not a player to score 30 points per game but this does not mean you can not win NBA title with Ricky. For sure, you prefer players like OJ Mayo (just an example from the last draft) who scores a lot of points but can´t play as a team. Ok, but it has been proved that you need a team to win even if you are Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant. Ricky can give a lot of assitance, steal balls, defense with a great intensity, conduct a team and score too. Yes, maybe he is similar to Jason Kidd but on my opinion he has even more talent and, in any case, I think if he reachs Kidd´s level this would be a great deal for any team.

By the way, it is not already decided if Ricky is going to take part of the next draft but it is almost sure he will do it. On my opinion, he is a fantastic player but he is too young and would be usefull for him to spend a couple of more years here in Europe to mature.

RSS: Syndicate content