Private Workout with Stephen Zimmerman, #1 Player in 2015

McDunkin
McDunkin's picture
Private Workout with Stephen Zimmerman, #1 Player in 2015

McDunkin note: MikeyV put me onto this kid over the weekend. He was one of the 2 youngest players at Pangos

Coast2CoastHoops.com watched Stephen Zimmerman, the top ranked player in the class of 2015, in a private workout at Bishop Gorman High School in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Standing at 6’10″ with a wiry frame, it’s obvious that Zimmerman has excellent height and length for the high school level and beyond. He is also mobile and coordinated enough to operate on the perimeter, making him a very intriguing prospect.

“He’s grown gradually, there hasn’t been one big spurt,” said Zimmerman’s mother, Lori. “When he was 12 he was 6’1″, and now he’s 6’10″. The only growth spurts he goes through are with those feet. It seemed like he went from a size 12 to a size 18 overnight, and now he says he’s ready for 19.”

Zimmerman ran one on one drills with his trainer that showcased his offensive skills for most of the session. He looked comfortable in the low block area and as his footwork develops, his quickness and touch around the basket will make him difficult to defend. Zimmerman is still adding post moves to his game, but shows promise as a back to the basket player.

A lefty, Zimmerman can step out and hit the elbow jumper. More importantly, though, he shows the ability to develop range out to the three point line. With a quick release and good rotation on his shot, he should be able to get his shot off against most defenders and has potential as a stretch four at the power forward spot.

Zimmerman hasn’t officially received any offers, however some of the nation’s elite basketball programs have contacted him, including UCLA, Arizona, and Kansas.

I know its way too early to talk about NBA or even being a great D-1 player but i like his potential.

Anton123
Anton123's picture
Is he like 14? Damn that's a

Is he like 14? Damn that's a tall kid.

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
Surprisingly agile

For someone so tall and young, he looks like he has some skills man. We have seen projects like this before, but you have to like that he is going to a really competitive school and already playing against some solid comp. Definitely one to keep an eye on, I do not know if he is the #1 prospect necessarily, but he is definitely one too watch.

NJHooper95
NJHooper95's picture
I like his game already

This kid seems to have a high IQ for someone so young and shows some decent moves down low. He is not just tall but can play. We will be watching!1

UNITEDweRISE31
UNITEDweRISE31's picture
For his age,he has some good

For his age,he has some good footwork in the post & damm thas a big kidd. I'm a year older & only 5''5 lol

aamir543
aamir543's picture
Holy s***! I am 14 and 6 foot

Holy s***! I am 14 and 6 foot 1, and people tell me to shrink! This guy may even grow more! And th fact that he hasn't evren started High School! I just finished my freshman year and there was this 6'4 guy and everyone thought he was some freak of nature! This guy might not even be done with his growth spurt. But for this guy to be number 1, the brothers in the hood have some work to do.

the U 327
Holy mother of ass, that kids

Holy mother of ass, that kids tall as SHlT! I'm 14 and I'm like 5'3

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
Guy I am hearing could be #1 in 2015

This kid's name is Kejuan Johnson, he is 6'6 and built like a tank. Plus, I just turned 27 and I can not grow a goat like this kid, so, damn. I guess he is still 14 (have no idea), but he has legs like tree trunks and looks incredibly athletic for someone his age and size. Have to wonder how much he will grow (again, the goatee makes you think), but still, this kid appears to be well ahead of the curve. Will see if he keeps it up.

paradigmn
paradigmn's picture
going even YOUNGER

Hoarce Spencer, Tyler Dorsey and Zimmerman were the three 8th graders at the PANGOS TOURNAMENT...but if we want to go young look no further than CODEY RILEY class of 2017. Standing 6'6'' and in the 6th grade, he will be a name 2 remember...take a look at a quick dunk...http://www.youtube.com/user/PARADIGMN13?feature=mhee#p/c/02C63DDA6A6ED9B2/2/FylmllZCARY...but he also has skill as a big man as well...http://www.youtube.com/user/PARADIGMN13?feature=mhee#p/c/02C63DDA6A6ED9B2/2/FylmllZCARY

aamir543
aamir543's picture
Kejuan johnson is raw, but I

Kejuan johnson is raw, but I dont think he will grow anymore. I am fourteen, and i have a goatee, and i have not grown much in the last year, but that guy seems like he's gonna be somthing special.

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
Totally jokes

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1027628/index.htm

This is an article Rick Reilly wrote back in 2002. It was on, surprisingly enough, Kendall Marshall. The kid did not turn out to do too badly for himself, thankfully. But, he was ranked as the #1 5th Grader(!) by Hoop Scoop back in 2002, all while being a resounding 5'1 and 90 pounds. Sure, the kid did not slip too far in the rankings, was a McDonald's All-American and just had a fantastic freshman season at UNC. But, Rick Reilly just points out how ridiculous it is too rank kids this young. His last line is classic.

I mean, I like hearing stories about youngsters excelling and the next great thing, but too put all of this pressure on kids this young is crazy. If you go to a site like Middle School Elite, which I did not realize was created by Jerron Love's father, it just has to put a tremendous amount of pressure on these young men. I am not in school of people who thinks that the attention will necessarily get them too stop working hard, but the pressure has to be real.

But, I am a little disappointed that Jerry Love seems to put so much stock into where his son is ranked on these websites, especially at this early stage in the game. I wish him and his son all of the best, and it seems like Jerron is an incredibly hard worker and talent, but rather than slam a guy who is pretty easy to slam in Clark Francis of Hoop Scoop, maybe put less stock into the rankings of players who mostly have yet to even come close to their physical peak. That is the scary thing of ranking players like these, as not only are you ranking kids, but you are ranking them with only minimal knowledge of what their physical capabilities will be in a few years. Some of them are success stories, but I think those are far fewer than the well publicized successes.

paradigmn
paradigmn's picture
SO RIGHT MIKEY!!!

You hit it right on the nose Mikey. While I don't hold too much stock in Middle school rankings, I still enjoy following future basketball prospects. I was also suprised that Jeron Loves dad was the founder of middle school elite. I would have like Mr. Love to have been honest with his rankings and not put his son #1 in 2015. Thats not to say Jeron can't ball, because he's very good for an 8th grader and should be one of the better PG throughout his HS carrer, but he's not the best player in 2015. I try not to post about these youngsters just for the fact they are so young and if they happen to read all these posts and articles about them, they might start 2 believe the hype and not work as hard there for never reaching there maximim potential. And if thats the case, everyone loses. There are certain kids however that are just freaks of nature as far as their athleticism and skillsets that its hard not to talk about them, exaple CODY RILEY from my above post. I mean 6'6'' sixth grader is one thing, but to play the way he does, it's kinda scary. He will have huge expectations, fair or not. Its the nature of the beast. What he does with his talent is up to him.

LeroyJenkins
LeroyJenkins's picture
What is this? PedoScout.com?

What is this? PedoScout.com?

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
Who is Leroy Jenkins?

Because I would like to send him a medal of hilarity!

paradigmn
paradigmn's picture
Steve Zimmerman

Playing at the Adidas 64 tournament going on right now....Zimmerman is an incoming freshmen and soon to be teammate of Shabazz Muhammad at Bishop Gorman in Las Vegas.....hasn't played a second of high school ball an just got offered scholarships from UCLA and UNLV...http://www.lvrj.com/sports/gorman-freshman-has-big-reach-promising-basketball-future-126050928.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter...side note...UNLV was spotted recruting Shabazz Muhammad real HARD today at the tournament...watching all his games about 10 deep with staff and pass players from UNLV including "plastic man" Stacey Augmon and "Grand ma ma" Larry Johnson.

rileymcshea3
rileymcshea3's picture
I checked out that sight that

I checked out that sight that mikeyv said and this is the first thing that stood out to me

http://middleschoolelite.com/2011/04/07/mse-national-basketball-camp-elite-4th-graders/

haha it makes me laugh when i see how serious these kids are and how they are doing photoshoots in 5th grade. These kids should just be enjoying the game and training hard , they dont need to be taking photoshoots ,thats just pathetic and its not the kids fault, all he knows is thats its cool and he wants to be famous but you really cant say there is no doubt a kid will go far . I remember when i was in 4th grade and a kid on my aau team had 50 points in a game and i was mainly on the bench ...... 4 years later where in 8th grade and he doesnt even make his basketball team while for me i put up 22 points vrs his middle school team ...yeah you cant predict how good a kid is gonna be at that age

aamir543
aamir543's picture
No wonder Lebron is

No wonder Lebron is as arrogant and big headed as he is. I am 14, and if people started telling me I am the best and started doing things for me too, I would also become arrogant and big headed.

strong2thehoop
strong2thehoop's picture
2015 National Rankings

2015 National Rankings (Compliments of No Politics Athletics (NPA)

Name
Height
Position
Hometown, State

1.Malik Newman
6'2
2G
Jackson, MS

2.Stephen Zimmerman
6'10
C
Las Vegas, NV

3.Jordan Ash
6'2
PG
Boilingbrook, IL

4.Justin Jackson
6'7
PF
Toronto, ON

5.Tyler Dorsey
6'4
2G
Pasadena, CA

6.Mickey Mithchell
6'6
WF
Piano, TX

7.Kejuan Johnson
6'5
WF
Atlanta, GA

8.Kendall Small
5'10
PG
Anaheim, CA

9.Jalen Jenkins FEDERAL WAY WA
6'3
SG
Phoenix, AZ

10.Perry Dozier
5'11
PG
Columbia, SC

11.Austin Grandstaff
6'3
SG
Rowlett, TX

12.Allonzo Trier FEDERAL WAY WA
6'0
PG
Oklahoma City, OK

13.Karl Towns
6'8
C
Piscataway,NJ

14.Jesse Pistokache
6'2
WF
McAllen, TX

15.Elijah Thomas
6'8
C
Rowlett, TX

16.Jaylen Grant
6'6
WF
Hyattsville, MD

17.Devonte Green
6'0
2G
Manhasset, NY

18.Sedrick Barefield
5'11
PG
Temecula, CA

19.Danjel Purefoy
6'6
WF
Bibbcounty, AL

20.Josh Jackson
6'3
2G
Southfield, MI

21.Jayln Juan
6'4
SF
Tucson, AZ

22.Brandon Hutton
6'5
WF
Chicago, IL

23.Roy Hemsley
6'8
PF
Los Angeles, CA

24.Mathew McQuaid
6'3
WF
Ovilla, TX

25.Mason Shephard
6'6
PF
Santa Monica, CA

26.Marcus Lovett
5'10
SG
Altadena, CA

27.AJ Harris
5'8
PG
Dayton, OH

28.Broderick Jones
6'9
C
Inglewood, CA

29.Jeremy Hemsley
6'2
SG
Alta Loma, CA

30.Isaiah Briscoe
6'2
WF
Union, NJ

31.Tyler Williams
6'4
PF
Dallas, TX

32.Jordan Green
5'9
PG
Jackson, MS

33.Leroy Butts
6'6
C
Clinton. MD

34.Justin Jenifer
5'6
PG
Woodlawn, MD

35.Nick Smith
5'10
PG
Memphis, TN

36.Jerron Love
5'7
PG
Bronx, NY

37.Terrance Birdsong
6'5
PF
Memphis, TN

38.Joshere Hardnett
5'9
PG
Gulfport, MS

39.Anthony Mathis
6'1
2G
West Linn, OR

40.Dakota Kordsiemon
6'3
WF
Tucson, AZ

41.King Mc Clure
6'3
2G
Dallas, TX

42.Mo Lawal
5'11
2G
Minneapolis, MN

43.Daquan Hickman
5'10
PG
New York, NY

44.Aaron Holiday
6'0
PG
N. Hollywood, CA

45.Markeese Fair
6'3
WF
East St Louis, IL

46.K.J. Walton
6'2
2G
Brownburg, IN

47.Chance Comanche
6'8
PF
Los Angeles, CA

48.Bryant Crawford
6'1
2G
Silver Springs, MD

49.Donovan Mitchell
6'1
2G
Westchester, NY

50.Darion King
6'3
WF
Racine, WI

51.Juwan Gooding
5'8
PG
Boston, MA

52.Bobby Martin
6'6
PF
Newton Square, PA

53.Julius Barnes
5'8
PG
Raleigh, NC

54.Caleb Tregue
5'6
PG
Cincinnati, OH

55.Tyler Williams
6'5
WF
Carrolton, TX

56.Troy Green
6'4
PF
Denver, CO

57.La Monte Stone
5'5
PG
Bowling Green, OH

58.Joshua Jackson
5'3
PG
Edwardsville, IL

59.Kelan Lawson
6'4
WF
Memphis, TN

60.Cameron Walker
6'4
WF
Santa Maria, CA

61.Marcus Floyd
5'8
PG
Wilmington, DE

62.Andrew Fleming
6'2
2G
Jacksonville, FL

63.La Quan Hawkins
5'9
PG
Las Vegas, NV

64.Nathan Fowler
6'8
C
Cincinnati, OH

65.Joffery Brown
6'1
WF
Burridge, IL

66.Kerryon Johnson
5'11
PG
Huntsville, AL

67.Sam Bitter
6'4
2G
Las Vegas, NV

68.Joseph Binyoti
5'10
2G
Milwaukee, WI

69.Ivy Smith
5'0
PG
Tacoma, WA

70.Terry Beckner
6'4
PF
East St Louis, IL

71.Malik Ellison
5'9
PG
Voorhees, NJ

72.Jaqualis Matlock
6'4
2G
Hopkinsville, KY

73.Kai Locksley
6'0
WF
Albuquerque, NM

74.Stephen Thompson
5'11
SG
Gardena, CA

75.Rodderick Barney
5'4
PG
Woodbridge, VA

76.Darius Henderson
5'11
2G
Los Angeles, CA

77.Charles Simmons
6'2
WF
Houston, TX

78.Donovan Franklin
6'3
2G
O'Fallon, IL

79.Tyler Jackson
6'9
C
Naperville, IL

80.Eric Turner
6'4
WF
Gainesville, FL

81.Elijah Mc Neely-Davy
5'10
PG
Queens, NY

82.Isaiah Jones
5'8
2G
Hamilton, OH

83.Karim Cole
5'7
PG
Milwaukee, WI

84.Shane Cavanaugh
6'4
SG
Irvine, CA

85.Matt Million
6'3
WF
Orlando, FL

86.Spencer Wilson
5'5
PG
High Point, NC

87.Tavon White
5'9
2G
Wilmington, DE

88.Max Hazzard
5'10
SG
Los Angeles, CA

89.Emmanuel Taylor
6'6
PF
Newark, NJ

90.Quentin Henson
6'2
2G
Las Vegas, NV

91.Eric Marbury
5'6
PG
Saylorsburg, PA

92.Brandon Hardesty
6'5
C
Franklin, IN

93.Daniel Giddens
6'7
SF
Atlanta, GA

94.Latrell Franklin
5'5
PG
Temecula, CA

95.Martez Cameron
5'9
5'9
Chicago, IL

96.Colby Myles
5'11
2G
Las Vegas, NV

97.Khali Spencer
6'2
2G
Memphis, TN

98.James Washington
5'9
PG
Norwalk, CA

99.William Jackson
6'4
2G
Athens, GA

100.Nick Blair
6'4
WF
Las Vegas, NV

Select Language
Afrikaans
Albanian
Arabic
Belarusian
Bulgarian
Catalan
Chinese (Simplified)
Chinese (Traditional)
Croatian
Czech
Danish
Dutch
Estonian
Filipino
Finnish
French
Galician
German
Greek
Haitian Creole
Hebrew
Hindi
Hungarian
Icelandic
Indonesian
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Korean
Latvian
Lithuanian
Macedonian
Malay
Maltese
Norwegian
Persian
Polish
Portuguese
Romanian
Russian
Serbian
Slovak
Slovenian
Spanish
Swahili
Swedish
Thai
Turkish
Ukrainian
Vietnamese
Welsh
Yiddish

paradigmn
paradigmn's picture
ummmm

Wheres 6'9'' 220 HORACE SPENCER??? He is def one of the TOP incoming Freshmen...and there is NO mention of his name at all (unless I missed it).

paradigmn
paradigmn's picture
dang

Just noticed...NO Jamar Ergas either....SMH

omphalos
omphalos's picture
From that video K. Johnson

From that video K. Johnson seems to have a pretty low release point, I'm guessing it's because he's so tall very few people would be able to block him, but I'd like to see him fix that before it becomes too ingrained or it'll cause him trouble later on.

Also, for anyone who didn't know before, after reading it in this thread like 5 times, aamir is 14 and 6'1 haha.

strong2thehoop
strong2thehoop's picture
A T0P 2015 PROSPECT NATIONALLY MOVING UP!

Jalen Jenkins Burkett Positions: (PG, SG) Height: 6' 4". Weight: 185 lbs. Class: Freshman (2015) MESA (AZ)

The Top Frosh in the state Arizona Jalen Jenkins Burkett (Mesa High) left little doubt he deserved that title by looking like the best player on the floor regardless of who was on it with him. Jalen is silky smooth and has the ability to hurt you from the outside or the inside.

Jalen Jenkins (Burkett), 2015 – Jenkins Burkett is a special player and has the athletic ability to take over a game. At 6 foot 4 and only an eighth grader is the best I have seen in his class. Jenkins Burkett has heart on the floor and can score in traffic and likes to attack the basket. Another Arizona player making his way to the Compton Magic this spring and summer.

Jalen is super athletic with tons of potential. He is old school in his approach always looking to attack both offensively and defensively. The Seattle transplant has been in Arizona for only a short time and has already made a name for himself. He was one of the best players in any class and didn’t care who was guarding him as he had one plan in mind and that was to get buckets.

Jalen is a special talent who has a very good motor, good defense and great athleticism. Jalen put his total game on display this weekend doing everything from grabbing rebounds, playing the post to playing (PG) all of which he played at a very high level. Jalen has the chance to be a top 50-top 75 prospect nationally in the class of 2015 as long as he continues to improve.
CURRENT PROJECTED LEVEL: HIGH MAJOR

RSS: Syndicate content