Potential undrafted steals for 2017

Purp-n-yellow
Potential undrafted steals for 2017

Pretty self explanatory, but in short, who do you think is going to get overlooked but wind up sticking in the league? Why will they be overlooked? Why will they succeed? What needs to happen for them to succeed etc. I'll throw a few names out there to get the ball rolling:

-Malik Pope SDSU- If his physicals go well, he could get drafted, but I doubt it at this point. He's been up and down on ppl's big boards but is off of most of them at this point. He can shoot and he's got length and some athleticism for a player his size.

-Alec Peters Valpo- This site has him getting drafted, but after suffering a serious injury in his last season at valpo, his uphill battle became more steep. I'm rooting for him. If he can switch onto guards in the pick and roll he'll make a niche for himself with his shot making, court savvy, and grit.

-Aleksandar Vezenkov- I can't see him going undrafted and if he does, i dont see him coming to the states to play. Not for a while at least. I think he stacks up well next to Tyler Lydon who's projected in the first.

-Andrew White Syracuse- Strong bodied and deadly from three. If he can prove to be a reliable defender, I think he could have a long career ala PJ Tucker

-Davon Reed Miami- A bit of a 'one year wonder' but tested well at the combine and has serious tools to be a very good perimeter defender. Reminds me of a David Nwaba type.

-Isaac Hamilton UCLA- NBA pedigree with NBA size and NBA range. Everything else is up in the air though... I could see him getting drafted.

-Borisa Simanic- Under the radar Euro big with unique athleticism and dexterity. To me, that potential is too tantalyzing at the end of the second for him to go undrafted but I could be wrong. Also not positive he's still in this draft but what the heck

-Moses Kingsley Arkansas- Prolific rebounder in the SEC and a defensive force as well. He reminds me of a less polished Rakeem Christmas as a prospect. Could be a solid rotational big

-EC Matthews Rhode Island- His stock (and knees) has seen better days, and it looks like he's a longshot at getting drafted. Crafty ball handler that can play both guard spots and score in many ways. I could see him being a poor man's Lou Williams.

-Jonah Bolden- Enigmatic combo forward with greating shooting numbers so far in his short career in Europe. I think he'll need some time to develop and an organization that really gets behind him. I doubt it, but wont be entirely surprised if he has some NBA success.

-Nigel Hayes- Undersized stretch 4 that plays with power like a Rodney Rogers. Can shoot the ball from deep and attack closeouts while still having the strength to score downlow with his back to the basket.

christophwilkins
There are a couple things wrong with your post

EC Matthews and Malik Pope did not declare for the draft lol.

Davon Reed can shoot better than Nwaba.

The rest of your assessments are solid. However, improve your researching skills pupper. You dropped the ball on some obvious shit.

On another note, IMO Vezenkov is not worthy of a draft selection. I believe there are only 9 international players (players who played outside the US) who are worthy of a draft pick: Ntilikina, Ferguson, Hartenstein, Pasecniks, Kurucs, Jeanne, Bolden, Lessort, and Mushidi.

Purp-n-yellow

Idid zero research and went with offhand knowledge. Honestly wasn't planning on listing anyone but figured that'd be too lazy. I'm interested in hearing other ppl's opinions

I didn't think EC had any eligibility left. I've always had a soft spot for crafty lefties.

Thank god Pope went back to school. I think he can be a first rounder if he can stay healthy for a full season and show some consistency and further development

warson24

It's just sad you are that bad at international scouting (nbadraft.net also struggling in that for years...)
Vezenkov should be a second rounder for sure, he's a Mirza Teletovic 2.0
The International Class of 1995 is one of the strongest in recent memory, there's a lot of quality prospects to stash, much more than in other years.
Anyway, Bolden has a very good chance to be selected and that's right Pope and EC not in this draft (note: Pope won't be a first rounder ever... he had the chance thanks to overhyping in his FR year, but he stayed). Most likely Simanic will be withdrawing his name, if not, he'll be drafted 55-60 for his potential (Spurs has a pick there).

christophwilkins
It's just sad

That you got butthurt over my personal opinion, Mr. International Talent Expert. I seem to have struck a nerve with some posters cause I got negged a little lmao.

This year's draft is very deep in terms of NCAA talent. That is why I believe there won't be that many international players selected in this draft, in comparison to previous years. IMO, the addition of the two-way contract could also have an impact on the amount of international players selected. More NBA teams COULD opt to select an NCAA prospect to develop on the end of their bench or in the G League. Or they COULD opt for an international player.

Zouldiers
Zouldiers's picture
Whoever Miami Heat gets has

Whoever Miami Heat gets has the potential to be an undrafted steal, they seem to get solid rotation players from undrafted free agency. Tyler Johnson, Udonis Haslem and Rodney Mcgruder are examples just to name a few.

Choppy
Choppy's picture
Bolden

Jonah Bolden should be drafted. He's got an intriguing skill set. Could sneak into the first round if someone falls in love with him in workouts, but should be gone early-mid second round.

machu46
I'd be pretty shocked if

I'd be pretty shocked if Bolden isn't drafted.

As a Cuse fan, I'm rooting for Andrew White; he's seriously an incredible shooter. Never seen a player at Syracuse bothered so little when shooting contested jumpers. Having said that, if he ever reaches the NBA, he'll probably be the worst ball-handling guard in NBA history.

Purp-n-yellow
agreed

Yea, you're right about Bolden. I cant imagine established teams who are going to be putting their rookies in the D-league anyhow, passing on him in the late second. I honestly think he has one of the biggest draft ranges of any prospect, anywhere from late first to late second. But I cant imagine him going undrafted on second thought.

Andrew White's a shot maker and doesn't dominate the ball, which should bode well given how many of the good point guards in the league are ball dominant. White on a second unit with Lou Williams in Houston could be deadly. The lack of ball handling is concerning though...

kikikiki
undrafted steals

I would throw in! these as well.

Bronson Koening-WI -looks similar to T.J McConnell and Maybe Matthew Dellavedova

Austin Nichols- Virginia-If he can keeps clean.

Kennedy meeks-UNC-with a little conditioning perhaps!

Kadeem allen-Arizona-needs a little help with his handle! improve his defense.

Peter Jok-Iowa -also needs a little seasoning.

Melo Trimble- Maybe not really sold on him but with a little seasoning perhaps. Needs to work on his defense & conditioning also his shot!

I'm sure there will be others that surprise!

kikikiki
undrafted steals

Also add Chance commanche-Arizona raw but has potential!

Purp-n-yellow
I like your list

I like that list alot. I could see Koenig as a Delly type backup pg. Meeks did himself some favors at the combine measuring out at 6'10" and having a lower body fat% than Tyler Lydon. Trimble and Jok are going to be D-league heroes for the next year or two but I can see them both contributing at the NBA level. Austin Nichols is a prototypical stretch 4 offensively but is limited in length and athleticism. His biggest issues are between his ears tho... I can still see him getting his crap together and becoming a productive NBA player.

Idk about Kadeem Allen though... His height and size is killing him. He's not going to be bullyin any NBA shooting guards... If he can become a true pg he could make it but I'm doubtful...

iguapops420
iguapops420's picture
Vezenkov is a better player

Vezenkov is a better player than Teletovic. Better trigger, better at making stuff happen. Plays with more heart and is a sneaky backdoor cutter. Small assist numbers, but he moves the ball well. Doesn't let if stagnate. Equally good coming off of screens as he is spotting up.

Purp-n-yellow
agree

I'm more with your take than anybody else's. Admittedly I haven't watched too many of his games and have had to go by highlights more than I'd like, but I think he's a very high IQ player that does the little things, like cutting well, spacing, moving the ball etc, like you said. He's limited athletically but isn't the stiff that his detractors make him out to be. He reminds me of a Mike Dunleavy Jr/Mirotic hybrid with his ability to spread the floor, run off screens, attack closeouts, handle the ball etc. I think he's somewhere inbetween those two athletically as well.

mamadou

I don't know that Vezenkov guy, but you're describing Kuzminskas ! lol,

He was great in preseason, had his moments in RS.

OhCanada-
OhCanada-'s picture
Kuran Iverson

My top guy for this list is Kuran Iverson. In highschool he showed alot of ballskills he didnt really display in college. He bounced around alot after initially being recruited by Pastner at Memphis which never seemed to work out for anyone. His development took a hit until going to Rhode Island but I feel there is some untapped potential there and quite possibly a decent role player.

This draft is deep even at the bottom though. Its really a three round draft. For instance some people may think Nigel Hayes goes 30-40 but theres a chance he goes undrafted. LJ Peak is another guy. Ben Moore, Luke Kornet, Kingsley, Burton, Walton etc.

With the number of decent undrafted free agents teams like Golden State and Cleveland can add thier choice of decent young talent for next to nothing.

ConsiderableUpside
ConsiderableUpside's picture
I would be shocked if Derrick

I would be shocked if Derrick White isn't drafted. If not, he's at the top of this list though.

RSS: Syndicate content