Pitino Calls Joel Embiid the 2014 #2 Draft Pick

DefenseWinsChamps
DefenseWinsChamps's picture
Pitino Calls Joel Embiid the 2014 #2 Draft Pick

from this article

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post?id=350

"Pitino said he felt as though Kansas freshman Joel Embiid was the most impressive high school player he saw in the Class of 2013.

'I think Kansas could have the No. 1 and No. 2 picks in the draft with [Andrew] Wiggins and Embiid. [Embiid] does everything,' Pitino said."

Windy City Assassin
I really would like to see

I really would like to see Randle go #1 but if Embiid plays to part this could be really interesting come draft day. Wiggins Randle Embiid shake up, loving this already.

Tongue-Out-Like-23
Tongue-Out-Like-23's picture

The negs on this comment shows exactly how overrated Andrew Wiggins is on this site. I do not think he is a 100% lock to be #1 and if Julius Randle has a fantastic year and the 'Cats win a title, he could very well be #1.

RUDEBOY_
RUDEBOY_'s picture
Pitino has been around a long

Pitino has been around a long time,has seen alot of players and knows his stuff..But its too soon to be placing that much pressure on a kid...

But for someone that only starting playing basketball a few years ago,Embiid can do alot of things well..Maybe his most impressive trait is his footwork on the defensive end,he knows how to defend the pick & roll...Alot of veteran nba big men struggle in that department...Yes,his post game is a work in progress,but he has a nice shooting stoke and while he was in high school he proved he could hit 3 pointers..........

Michael.S.
He would be an abosulte non

He would be an abosulte non factor in the nba for at least 3 years. Randle will be a perennial all star by his third year.

Aran_Smith
Administrator
Wishful thinking. Get him

Wishful thinking. Get him outta Kansas ASAP! Pitino also called Perry Jones the top prospect in Vegas when he was a senior. Granted, everyone expected Jones to become a superstar, but not exactly a perfect track record anointing future top picks. Embiid has a lot of promise with that size, agility and touch but his skill level and particularly feel for the game is extremely raw at this point. Nonetheless, interesting to hear Pitino's point of view on it.

RichieRebel
I agree that Embiid is very

I agree that Embiid is very raw, but I think there is a distinction between him and Perry Jones. Jones was stuck between positions and never had a clear skillset for either forward spot. Embiid is clearly a Center who's defense will easily translate to the NBA game, Also his offense has potential unlike someone like Bismack Biyombo. If I was a team in need of a Center I would take a risk on him with a top 5 pick.

wenich
Hey Aran........

You're calling Pitino out on what he said about Perry Jones going into his senior season in H.S......Weren't you and your site saying the same thing? And had him projected as the #1 pick

Michael.S.
It is a travesty perry jones

It is a travesty perry jones is on the thunder. Hr is too talented to be rotting away on somebodys bench. Xant really criticize the mans opinion because perry jones has yet to be given the oportunity

TimeForNine
Pitino is sort of notorious

Pitino is sort of notorious for this kind of thing. He's prone to overhype players, such as calling Mike Marra the best shooter he's ever seen. Embiid will no doubt be a very high pick, but I don't see him coming out in 2014 and definitely not getting picked before Parker, Randle, and Smart

BasketballJunkie224
BasketballJunkie224's picture
to the guy who said pitino

to the guy who said pitino knows his stuff, your right he definitely does! But whenever I hear pitino talk i feel like he thinks he is the smartest basketball mind in the world. Not saying the guy is ignorant but I mean he seems to just throw things out there that are kind of far fetched. On the other hand hes a national championship coach so you gotta listen to him.....as far as embidd, i think hes gonna be awesome @ kansas and have a great career in the NBA. To say that he will be the #2 pick is absurd tho..Andrew Wiggins is pretty much a lock for #1 unless something goes terribly wrong and he just totally underachieves but IMO for embiid to be the #2 pick he would have to 1.) lead kansas to the national championship 2.)out perform wiggins 3.) standout as a franchise changer in the pre draft camps/workouts.......just hard to believe all this would happen...Probable lottery pick whenever he declares tho.. I mean if he stayed a couple years then I could see him maybe going in the top 5 but to say #2 pick in next years LOADED draft is just INSANE..much respect to pitino tho!

Mopgrass
I don't think he's entirely

I don't think he's entirely wrong, but there's no way he should declare after this year. He should play in Kansas 2-3 years since he's only been playing basketball for 2 years.

Maybe, eventually he can be the top pick. Maybe.

ph90702
Just because somebody is a

Just because somebody is a great coach doesn't mean they're an expert on the NBA Draft. Joel Embiid could very well be the #2 pick in the 2014 NBA Draft. However, there are safer players at #2 who project to be All-Stars.

Ghost01
Ghost01's picture
...And Larry Brown guaranteed

...And Larry Brown guaranteed as a rookie Anthony Davis could carry the Bobcats to the playoffs.

When coaches make outlandish comments about players, it means absolutely nothing.

RUDEBOY_
RUDEBOY_'s picture
Embiid's defense alone makes

Embiid's defense alone makes him a potential lottery pick next year, if he can stay healthy...Maybe even top 5,but i dont see him going ahead of Wiggins or Randle.....

And I didnt mean Pitino was a draft expert..I was saying he's a great coach...

ph90702
Even if he can go in the

Even if he can go in the lottery, he should stay for another year. He needs to develop his game in college. It's much harder to develop as a big in the NBA.

JordanC20
Hmm he must have forgot about

Hmm he must have forgot about Randle...imagine that!

CameronCrazy11
CameronCrazy11's picture
Whenever I hear coaches say

Whenever I hear coaches say things like "He's the best athlete I've ever coached", I always wonder what their former players think about it

TheArtistPaysth...
TheArtistPaysthePrice's picture
This was somehow a veiled

This was somehow a veiled shot at Coach Cal and Kentucky.

Hitster
Hitster's picture
Coach Pitino is a HOF Coach

Coach Pitino is a HOF Coach with vast NCAA success to his name so even if he overhypes players, his view has to be respected. Also Joe Embiid will be playing for another top Coach in Bill Self and will have Andrew Wiggins on his team so if he is in a perfect position to gain a lot of attention and it only needs one GM to like him and he could go very high.

But I'd consider him maybe more a two year guy as Aran thinks on his mock and if he did go next year, I'd doubt he'd crack the top 3 but could certainly creep into the top 5 depending who drafts where.

GoJOSH HUESTIS
GoJOSH HUESTIS's picture
LMAO. The kid is Hassem

LMAO. The kid is Hassem Thabeet raw right now. His defense is overrated ( a whopping 1blk a game in h.s and a bunch of foul trouble). He has hands of stones as well and reports out of the KU open run is he's dropping passes, no offense and fouls on every other play. Looks like the JMm Derrick Favors AllStar game circuit hype train added a new member. People are going to be very disappointed in year one when he looks totally lost

JoeWolf1
JoeWolf1's picture
I read today that Embiid has

I read today that Embiid has already put on 15 lbs since coming to Kansas and is at 250 lbs. Andrea Hudy is a phenomenal trainer and Embiid seems to be a guy who can actually put on muscle, as opposed to the type of tall lean guy that have a hard time putting on mass. That is a great sign for the young big man.

RSS: Syndicate content