Philadelphia 76ers future
As a 76ers fan I think that considering the way they are currently playing they are a lock for a top 5 pick. So with that being said here is how I would rank the top prospects:
1) Andrew Wiggins- Do I really need to explain this one? His athleticism and potential would fit perfectly with the young high octane Sixers. I can already imagine him flying down on the fast break catching lobs from MCW. Defensively, with the combination of MCW, Wiggins, and Noel that is a very scary trio! With Brett Brown as the head coach who is known for his skills at player development he would make AW into something very very scary.
2) Jabari Parker- While he may not be the athletic freak that Wiggins is his game is already NBA ready. He could come in from day one and be an absolute beast. People compare him to Carmelo, but I think he is more of a Thad Young but with a much MUCH better offensive game. They are about the same size, they will both give you everything they’ve got, a very team oriented player who will give you everything that they have every night. Oh and did I forget to mention that Parkers offensive game is just a little bit better that Thads? Parker has it all when it comes to O, step back, post moves, 3 ball range, midrange, hes a jack of all trades. He is a high character player who would fit in great with the Sixers and help carry them back to being a respectable team in the NBA once again.
3) Julius Randle- I am not the highest on Randle. Don’t get me wrong his is a beast, but Im still wondering how well it will translate to the pros. In college he can easily just bully people out of the way and dominate, but you can’t do that in the pros. I think he is also slightly undersized at 6’9’’ for the PF where in the NBA post players are now 6’10’’ or more but his muscle/athleticism could even that out. But enough with the negative, if he can live up to his hype as Chris Webber 2.0 I would gladly have him on the Sixers. Having him playing alongside Noel would be a match made in heaven. Defensively, have him being able to cover the more athletic forwards on the wing and leave Noel to patrol the paint and swat anything that comes close to him. Offensively, as we all know Noel doesn’t have any skills other than dunking really; so having Randle go to work in the post would be perfect and let Noel clean up anything else.
4) Marcus Smart- I think Marcus Smart could be great with Philly. People will complain that he is a PG but I see him as more of a James Harden type. Does he have the offensive skill set to be able to take over game? Clearly. Can he distribute the ball? Yes. Aside from Jabari Parker I think that Smart is the most NBA ready prospect in college. Could he and MCW survive together in the backcourt? Not only could they survive, but they would thrive. If you watch any Sixers games they are a run and gun team. They want to get up court and make a play. The faster you can find a guard the faster you can get up court so having both MCW and Smart to play interchangeable positions would work wonders.
5) Dante Exum- I don’t know much about him since I cant watch him play, but from what I read about him is very similar to Penny Hardaway (who just so happens to be one of my favorite players of all time). Similarly to Smart having another PG/SG in the backcourt with MCW could be very beneficial to the Sixers. He would fit in very well with his speed, vision, and ability to finish. Not to mention the thought of having a 6’6’’ PG and SG could be very intimidating defensively. The only thing I would worry about with Exum is how similar to MCW he is with great vision and attacking skills but struggles with his shot.
6) Joel Embiid- I would have him higher on my list, but I really don’t see the Sixers management moving Nerlins to PF, but if they did I don’t think anyone would ever score on us in the paint…EVER! The combination of Embiid and Noel down low is just scary defensively that could single handedly carry a team right there. Embiid has much more potential on the offensive side of the ball then Noel. He has phenomenal footwork and seems to be picking up the game quite quickly for someone who just started playing a few years ago. As I noted Brett Brown is known for developing young players. So giving him someone like Embiid could be a the thing that changes us from a miserable bottom feeding organization so a contender very quickly. Starting with a defense which could potentially be as intimidating as teams like the Bulls or Pacers. But again I really don’t see the Sixers drafting Embiid to play Center when they already Noel.
As I previously stated I think that the Sixers are absolutely end up with a top 5 pick. So any of those players would be a lock to be taken depending on what pick we get. With Anthony Davis out for an extended period of time and Eric Gordon most likely getting injured at some point in this season Im guessing the Pelicans pick will be closer to the 9-12 range. So with that being said I think the Sixers have some great talent to pick from in that range. So depending on who is available I would love for them to pick up any of these guys:
Noah Vonleh- This pick is assuming that we don’t take either Randle or Embiid. Vonleh has the perfect size to be a great PF in the NBA. 6’10’’ 240lbs with a 7’3’’ wingspan. That has beast written all over it. He is a bright young kid who doesn’t have a lot of polish just yet but is a hard worker who wants to get better. As I have said quite a bit so far Brett Brown could make him into a future All Star.
James Young- Anyone who is a 76ers fan knows exactly what the Sixers have been missing for years now, and that is a lights out shooter. The last real shooter they had was Kyle Korver and he is not a guy that you could lean on for a good 22+ a night. In comes James Young who is arguably the best shooter in the nation. He could step right in and be the knockdown shooter that Philly has been begging for years.
Wayne Selden- Another guy who can step in and do it all. He has a great jumpshot, he is a willing distributor, a great defender 6’5’’ with a 6’10’’ wingspan. He is a very powerful offensive threat likes to take it to the hole and draw contact.
With all of this being said if the Sixers draft and combination of 2 of all these people I listed I think the Sixers will have a bright BRIGHT future ahead of them. I also think that they will be trading one of Turner/Young/Hawes and getting another late first round pick but that will be a discussion for another day.
Excellent first post
I don't think it's realistic that they would take Smart or Exum. There are too many other holes on that squad. I think it's realistic (and what I would like to see) that they end up with something like Wiggins and Harrell or a Randle and Selden. I think in terms of trading any combo of Turner, Young or Hawes, they should try to get a pick next year as I doubt some GM's value that draft class as highly and they may be able to get a better return in that case. For s***'s and giggs, let's say they do that and will still probably be an early lottery team, they could come out with like a LaVine/Oubre and another big later on (Austin Nichols maybe). That would be a hell of a core and really whatever way you spin it, this team has a bright future
As a Sixers fan i would want a combo of Randle and Parker or Gordon and Parker/Wiggins.. We have NO pick so maybe we can get our PF/C there. Noel can play both i think but Pairing him with Joel/Gordon/Randle would be key. Sign ET and keep wroten backing up. A lineup of MCW, ET, Parker, Gordon and Noel would be great. But like i said i would want a big next to Noel like AG, Randle, Joel, Zeus or even Chris Walker
I think Parker an Payne with the picks would be good for them. They are both forwards with solid offensive games, that can help make up for Noel's lack of offense, and it would give them a talented young front court going forward
I know that a lot of people are high on Aaron Gordon, but I am not one of them. I feel that he relies on his athleticism too much and doesn’t really have much game other than that. A lot of people compare him to Blake Griffin, but Blake in college was 6’10’’ 245lbs and averaged 22 pts and 14 rebs. Aaron on the other hand is 6’8’’ 225lbs and is averaging 12 pts and 9 rebs. Those are two VERY different people. I would much rather have someone like Noah Vonleh who isn’t averaging much more than Gordon, but has much better size at 6’10’’ 250lbs.
I saw someone mention Adrien Payne. I am also a big Sparty fan and I think he would be a great addition, but I think he is a guy that you can get in the late 1st or early 2nd. I also said in my first post that I expect that the Sixers trade one of their current assets (Turner, Young, or Hawes) to a contender (OKC, Huston, SA) and will get a late 1st. Also, you cant count out that they have 3 second round picks so what is to say that they don’t package those for ANOTHER first. Theoretically, I could see the 76ers with 4 yes that’s right 4 first round draft picks.
This would be my ultimate draft if EVERYTHING works in the Sixers favor and they end up with 4 first rounders:
1st overall (Sixers Pick): Andrew Wiggins
7-10 pick (Pelicans Pick): Noah Vonleh
27th pick (Trade Thad Young to OKC): Mario Hezonja
28/29th pick (package second rounders to Spurs): Adrien Payne
Again that is rather unrealistic, but that is one of my dream scenarios and if it did somehow work out, I would buy season tickets the next day!
Since it will take MCW a while to get his FG% up, for Noel to pack on pounds and develop something we could call offense, they should take a project like Wiggins.
They could use a shooter with the 2nd pick. McDermott is THE shooter in the draft. It'd be nice if they could get him too.