This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar OhCanada- 9 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
    high floor
    Participant

As a life long fan of the Magic I am looking forward to this years draft (regardless of where we select) as much as the 1992, 1993, and 2004 where we owned the #1 overall pick. Orlando seems to have a clear plan in place, and next year I expect GM Rob Hennigan and company to focus purely on earning more wins & competing for a playoff spot. For Orlando’s first selection, it is highly likely that they will receive a top 4 pick. Whew… they can go so many different ways. All the scenario’s below assume each prospect is available since draft positioning & ranks are so fluid right now:

Do they select Joel Embiid? – With Nikola Vucevic as your starting Center, and depending his health checks out, I actually think Orlando would consider this. Mostly because Hennigan drafted Oladipo, and had both Jameer and Afflalo to help bring Oladipo along slowly & mentor him during his transition to PG. They could do the same with Joel, and maybe even give him 5-10 minutes a night at PF to increase his overall skill level. He should make an immediate impact in limited minutes.

Do they select Jabari Parker – This is a tough. For starters, they already have Tobias Harris and on the surface their skills don’t seem to compliment each other well (particularly on defense). Also, how would Harris feel about accepting a potential bench role behind a rookie? If available, I don’t think Orlando can afford to pass on Parker because of their current pieces & may ultimately look to move Harris.

Do they select Andrew Wiggins? – This is my personal hope. As much as I like Maurice Harkless & believe in his potential (especially on defense) Wiggins would be an upgrade for the SF position. I’m really intrigued by a potential Wiggins/Oladipo pairing. Incredibly athletic duo.

Do the select Dante Exum? – Probably the biggest Risk vs. Reward option for Orlando. How would he mesh with Oladipo in the backcourt? I love Dante’s potential, but there may be too many question marks surrounding his fit & ability to make an immediate impact to justify.

**I’ll post another thread about Orlando’s options for their second lottery pick in a little bit.

Jeffreyharden
    Participant

I believe that the Magic should select Dante Exum with their 1st pick regardless of who is available. The Oladipo experiment at point guard was good but you can’t pass on the next Penny Hardaway. This kid will bring a lot of excitement to the Magic team and they would have a core 5 of 
    Dante Exum

Victor Oladipo 

Aaron Affalo 

Tobias Harris

Nikola Vucevic

that starting 5 would be sick and dangerous at each position, plus they would have Nelson to mentor both Oladipo and Exum, They could keep Harkless as a back up for both forward spots because all the defense he brings he doesn’t bring the offense and he would be a perfect 6th man for them. This team along with a 2nd lottery pick (Nik Stauskas combo guard who can shoot) would make the Magic a playoff team next year with a few more vets. 

Jeffreyharden
    Participant

I believe that the Magic should select Dante Exum with their 1st pick regardless of who is available. The Oladipo experiment at point guard was good but you can’t pass on the next Penny Hardaway. This kid will bring a lot of excitement to the Magic team and they would have a core 5 of 
    Dante Exum

Victor Oladipo 

Aaron Affalo 

Tobias Harris

Nikola Vucevic

that starting 5 would be sick and dangerous at each position, plus they would have Nelson to mentor both Oladipo and Exum, They could keep Harkless as a back up for both forward spots because all the defense he brings he doesn’t bring the offense and he would be a perfect 6th man for them. This team along with a 2nd lottery pick (Nik Stauskas combo guard who can shoot) would make the Magic a playoff team next year with a few more vets. 

Lotto Stud
      Participant

Does not make any sense to reach for him that high with the Top 3 guys ranked ahead of him. They most certainly can select a PG at #12, the value does not drastically drop off there.

Lotto Stud
      Participant

Does not make any sense to reach for him that high with the Top 3 guys ranked ahead of him. They most certainly can select a PG at #12, the value does not drastically drop off there.

Four
    Participant

Though they are not alone in this situation I don’t think that the Magic can afford to "miss" with this pick.  So I think the smart move for them is to play it safe and get Parker – everyone knows he may not have as high a ceiling as the other top 4-5 but everyone also knows that he has a much higher floor than those other guys as well.  I like the fit a bit better as well as I think Wiggins’ and Oladipo’s strengths are a bit similar.

I also completely agree with Windy City in that there is PG depth and you can get a decent one at 12.

Four
    Participant

Though they are not alone in this situation I don’t think that the Magic can afford to "miss" with this pick.  So I think the smart move for them is to play it safe and get Parker – everyone knows he may not have as high a ceiling as the other top 4-5 but everyone also knows that he has a much higher floor than those other guys as well.  I like the fit a bit better as well as I think Wiggins’ and Oladipo’s strengths are a bit similar.

I also completely agree with Windy City in that there is PG depth and you can get a decent one at 12.

Andrew1984
    Participant

I think they’re going to end up with Julius Randle. He’s a 4-8 range pick and that’s where they’ll end up. He’s an immediate upgrade over the current mediocre platoon at his position. Look at this breakdown of starts at PF:

Baby: 43
    Kyle O’Quinn: 19
    Maxiell: 13
    Nicholson: 5

Randle would be an ideal intersection of BPA and need. They may be fortunate enough to land in the top three, but if not, Randle and Orlando are a match made in heaven. Darkhorse candidate would be Aaron Gordon (if Randle is gone).

Andrew1984
    Participant

I think they’re going to end up with Julius Randle. He’s a 4-8 range pick and that’s where they’ll end up. He’s an immediate upgrade over the current mediocre platoon at his position. Look at this breakdown of starts at PF:

Baby: 43
    Kyle O’Quinn: 19
    Maxiell: 13
    Nicholson: 5

Randle would be an ideal intersection of BPA and need. They may be fortunate enough to land in the top three, but if not, Randle and Orlando are a match made in heaven. Darkhorse candidate would be Aaron Gordon (if Randle is gone).

OhCanada-
      Participant

I agree 100%. Orlando has been struggling pairing someone up with Vucevic. I think if Parker and Wiggins are on the board they pass on Embiid for Randle.

Dont get me wrong I love the resume on Embiid. Great athlete, good motor, always learning, good touch, great length, developing post skills. Cant go wrong with Embiid. But he is not a PF and although Vucevic has some perimeter skills he would get exposed from a lateral quickness perspective most nights at PF.

Not only that but Im very high on Randle. He may not be flashy and pretty with his skillset and physical atrributes but he gets it done. He has proven he can be a teams rock and foundation rebounding. He has shown he is unstoppable down low and I have no reason to believe that wont continue in the NBA. 

Orlando cant pass on a cant miss prospect at PF to draft another cant miss prospect at C when arguably the best player on the roster Vucevic is a C.

OhCanada-
      Participant

I agree 100%. Orlando has been struggling pairing someone up with Vucevic. I think if Parker and Wiggins are on the board they pass on Embiid for Randle.

Dont get me wrong I love the resume on Embiid. Great athlete, good motor, always learning, good touch, great length, developing post skills. Cant go wrong with Embiid. But he is not a PF and although Vucevic has some perimeter skills he would get exposed from a lateral quickness perspective most nights at PF.

Not only that but Im very high on Randle. He may not be flashy and pretty with his skillset and physical atrributes but he gets it done. He has proven he can be a teams rock and foundation rebounding. He has shown he is unstoppable down low and I have no reason to believe that wont continue in the NBA. 

Orlando cant pass on a cant miss prospect at PF to draft another cant miss prospect at C when arguably the best player on the roster Vucevic is a C.

OhCanada-
        Participant

I mean if Parker and Wiggins are not on the board I wish we could edit our comments.

OhCanada-
        Participant

I mean if Parker and Wiggins are not on the board I wish we could edit our comments.

vulture711
    Participant

I don’t find any of these posts terribly useful until the draft order has been set.  Come May 20, then we can discuss – by then we’ll be through Chicago and know who is picking where

OhCanada-
      Participant

This post is fine he is exploring all options. 

OhCanada-
      Participant

This post is fine he is exploring all options. 

vulture711
    Participant

I don’t find any of these posts terribly useful until the draft order has been set.  Come May 20, then we can discuss – by then we’ll be through Chicago and know who is picking where

morestealsthanscores
    Participant

Orlando is in an interesting position, because it seems to depend just as much on how much faith they have in their current guys to improve. Do they back Harris? Harkless? Vucevic? If they got a top 3 pick, one of these 3 guys potentially loses their starting spot. So I think it depends just as much on how they feel about these guys.

morestealsthanscores
    Participant

Orlando is in an interesting position, because it seems to depend just as much on how much faith they have in their current guys to improve. Do they back Harris? Harkless? Vucevic? If they got a top 3 pick, one of these 3 guys potentially loses their starting spot. So I think it depends just as much on how they feel about these guys.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login