Nikola Vucevic in 2013

JoeWolf1
JoeWolf1's picture
Nikola Vucevic in 2013

Since the new year Nikola Vucevic is playing out of his mind for Orlando. In 20 games since the beginning of 2013 he has been putting up...

15.1 ppg 13.3 rpg 1.8 apg 1.1 bpg while shooting 50+ from the feild and 70+ from the stripe.

This is only Vucevic's 2nd year and compared to many center prospects of late, his offensive skillset is more advanced at an early stage of his career.

What do you think his ceiling is? and is Vucevic the next contender to be the best center in the game in 6 or 7 years?

I personally think Vucevic has the potential to be a 20 ppg 14 rpg center, and be active in the pick and pop, like centers of the past like Robinson and Ewing. He is not the defensive rim protector many of the best centers of the past were, but with his size and mobility I think he can continue to develop on that end.

llperez
llperez's picture
i havent seen much of the

i havent seen much of the magic these last 2 years, but loved vucevic in college. He carried the trojans to the ncaa tournament and the very next year after he left the trojans went 6-26 and were one of the worst teams in college. They crumbled without him. He was right in the mix with derrick williams, klay thompson and isiah thomas for pac 12 player of the year.

ItsVictorOladipo
ItsVictorOladipo's picture
As weird as it sounds to say

As weird as it sounds to say we might have come out as winners from the Dwight Howard trade. We shed contract, rebuilt for the future and picked up Vucevic who looks like he has the makeup of a future all-star and Arran Afflalo a very underrated SG who plays hard at both ends of the on the court on a decent contract. Considering how terrible we still are we should be able to secure a high draft pick this year (I'm hoping top 3) and maybe next year as well, and after next year (provided we don't take on players with high long term contracts) we should have the financial flexibility to go after a top FA in 2014.

Things are looking up in Orlando!

Pyron
i agree that any big man in

i agree that any big man in orlando is a winner from howard leaving but i think vucevic's accelerated development is all thanks to big baby being injured. just like paul george's development because granger is out... without big baby, vucevic is free to roam in the paint

ah.. unexpected opportunities created in the nba due to injury.. its nice to find a gem in the rough

razorSHARPE
razorSHARPE's picture
I see Vucci's ceiling

I see Vucci's ceiling reaching 18 and 13. What will potentially keep him from being a 20-pointer guy is the fact that he doesn't get to the charity stripe often and I see the Magic giving Andrew Nicholson more opportunities to score down low while Vucci cleans up his mistakes by offensive rebounding and making 2nd chance points.

invalid
invalid's picture
whoaa 20 and 14 .. sure he

whoaa 20 and 14 .. sure he can average that for long stretches . but its tough to maintain in a whole season. he's very good no doubt, but as of now he has no one on the team that shares what a big man does. im going with 18 and 12.

Lebron's Hairline
Lebron's Hairline's picture
Not sure about 20 and 14,

Not sure about 20 and 14, more like 18 and 11; he's having a very good year but your putting him in Kevin Love talks with 20 and 14

ItsVictorOladipo
ItsVictorOladipo's picture
Not sure about 20 and 14,

Not sure about 20 and 14, more like 18 and 11; he's having a very good year but your putting him in Kevin Love talks with 20 and 14
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be fair he's already averaging 11.6 RPG this year as a 22 year old. The kid is an absolute beast on the boards. He might never be a Kevin Love type of volume scorer but I honestly do think he is capable of 14 RPG in his prime.

aamir543
aamir543's picture
Sky is the limit, saw this

Sky is the limit, saw this guy in person at Warriors and Magic, and I think he grabbed like 15 boards, he was all over the glass, he's making the Dwight Hoaward trade look good right now.

Hale
Hale's picture
BTPH was the first guy to

BTPH was the first guy to talk about him and said he belonged in the lottery. I guess he was right.

BrentSuriaga01
BrentSuriaga01's picture
As a sixer fan

I'm happy he's getting the minutes he deserved in Orlando. The dude ballin right now and all we had in exchange was an injury-prone damage good. I hope Bynum will be back asap or else we're screwed.

Sewok15
Sewok15's picture
As a Sixers fan I never

As a Sixers fan I never wanted to see him go. I didn't think he was an elite rebounder here but he didn't get consistent minutes. I was thrilled about him as an offensive player though. He had a nice array of post moves for a rookie and he was even hitting some 3's. If the Sixers still had him and Harkless and moved Iggy for Barnes like they could have the Sixers would have some of the most exciting young talent in the league. Instead we are still stuck in mediocrity (slightly worse this year). We could have been watching this team ascend as Miami got older (or Lebron went back to Cleveland) but instead we traded for Bynum (who may never even play a game in Philly). Way to go Sixers!!!

White Chocolate
White Chocolate's picture
Imagine if the Magic could

Imagine if the Magic could land this guy in the draft:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Sewok15
Sewok15's picture
That would be a decent fit

That would be a decent fit but with Afflalo and Harkless what the really need is a PG. Unfortunately there are no elite PG prospects this year. I think Burke could be a decent fit as well but I don't know if they will want to take him top 6 or wherever they end up picking.

JoeyGladstone
JoeyGladstone's picture
I hope they get a top 2 pick

I hope they get a top 2 pick & go with Noel to be the defensive monster next to Vuc & Nicholson can come off the bench & score, & hopefully trade JJ & company for possibly another lottery pick & target Burke.

JoeWolf1
JoeWolf1's picture
I say he has the potential to

I say he has the potential to be a 20 ppg scorer, because he actually has a jump shot. He's been facing people up since college, and with that foundation in a professional environment, I feel he'll be a guy who can hit shots in the mid-range and off pick and pops down the line. Not to mention he pulls down 3.6 offensive rebounds per game ( pulled down 5 or more 10 times in 20 games since the start of the new year), in only 32 mpg. I feel as he continues to refine his game those opportunities around the rim off misses will be sure fire buckets.

Right now, he barely gets to the line, but as he continues to make a name for himself, he'll get more attention on the block and he's near a 70% foul shooter.

As far as the 14 rebounds per game, he's already averaging 11.6 in just 32 minutes and has been averaging 13.3 for a quarter of an NBA season. I suspect he'll finish the year at 12.5 in not even 36 minutes per game.

I know those numbers seem loft, but those are my reasons. If a 22 year old old is hitting his stride in his 2nd season and dropping 15/13 over a long period of time( 1/4 of an NBA season with no signs of slowing down), there's no reason to think he won't continue to game. He's averaging 12.5 ppg and 13.25 rpg in 4 games vs. Tyson Chandler and Dwight Howard, this season.

Lebron's Hairline
I like this guy but there's

I like this guy but there's always the"he's putting up numbers because his team sucks" argument that people throw out

JoeWolf1
JoeWolf1's picture
He only takes 12 shots per

He only takes 12 shots per game ( while pulling down 4 offensive rebounds per game), during the stretch when he's been averaging 15 ppg, and out rebounding everyone in sight doesn't have anything to do with your team being bad.

Lebron's Hairline
I know I like his skillset I

I know I like his skillset I was just saying that's real the only argument people will make against him

RSS: Syndicate content