This topic contains 20 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar aamir543 12 years ago.

• Author
    mikeyvthedon
    Participant

For those who missed part 1 (was not much, I promise you. Tyler will have you covered), here it is:

http://www.nbadraft.net/forum/nike-hoop-summit-2012-practice-notes-part-i

Skipped the triple crown and went to the International and US practices at the Trail Blazers practice facility (in Tualatin, fantastic facility). Lots of scouts, even saw David Kahn, Masai Ujiri (great guy), Rich Cho (another great guy, did not meet the others but the two I met were awesome), Kevin Pritchard and Geoff Petrie among others. Everyone was approachable and really cool. Will just give a breakdown of today’s happenings.

International:

• Scouts were here all week, do not think they left which much hope from the players on this years squad, especially not for 2012
    • Andrew Wiggins was far and away deemed the best prospect on the International team, most might even say on either team
    • Dario Saric can do it all at I believe a legit 6’10 (measured in shoes, but he is tall). Looks like there is a good chance that he goes lottery in 2013. Tyler through out the Danilo Gallinari comparison which I think is solid. Should have a nice impact on the game tomorrow, he and Wiggins have both been making a good number of triples.
    • Leo Westermann has impressed a few people as well. Great leadership ability, not a lot of lateral quickness but a really tall PG. Expect him to get quite a few minutes tomorrow.
    • Only 5 minutes of scrimmaging today, pretty disappointing. No one really stood out much quite honestly. For a team that has usually been filled with size and lacking at guard, this is a switch around. If the US big men do not kill these guys in the post, it is their own fault.
    • Roy Rana is a great guy. He did not give me the starting line-ups, but if I had to guess it would be Leo Westermann, Michal Michalak, Andrew Wiggins, Dario Saric and Wang Zhelin. Expect to see a lot of Anthony Bennett as well, but he or Saric may come off of the bench. Do not worry, Enes Kanter came off of the bench and I think we all know how he ended up doing in the 2010 Hoop Summit. Aleks Cvetkovic seemed like a really nice kid and should get some good PT as well, if not have a chance at starting.

US:

• Missed the morning practice where they went to a school for underpriviledged kids, but heard there was next to no scrimmaging, which was the case on Thursday as well. Also heard Nerlens Noel looked a bit out of it, though he just arrived the night before so he was given the benefit of the doubt.
    • Tonights practice was the only practice where the NBA scouts were allowed to watch and it was as full of a gym as the previous International practices. As you might have guessed, this time there was scrimmaging after a pretty brief warm-up
    • They played a team of what one scout called "Club Sport’s Finest" (that is the fitness club across the street from the practice facility). The guys were certainly not bad and seemed to be in good shape plus had little fear of who they were playing. BUT, I will say, they were not close to the size, speed or athleticism of the US team and I doubt that they had ever been close to top recruits out of HS.
    • Team USA played 4 10 minute quarters against the 6 man group (who had one sub, compared to 5 for the US). The first two quarters was a running score of 51-37 for the US (26-19 after one). The last two was one tied 27-27 (they literally reset the score) with the last 10 minute session being 31-28 for the "Club Sport’s Finest". The US team was outmuscled and outhustled by these guys and were fouling at the end to try and win the quarter. In fact, Kyle Anderson’s 40 foot prayer was the only reason they came within 3.
    • (McDunkin will like this) Shabazz Muhammad is the best player in the class of 2012. Noel may have more upside (I am not so sure), but it is a landslide in my opinion. Shabazz is the guy in 2012 and is looking like a strong possibility as the first pick in 2013 barring unforeseen circumstances. I know what people were saying about the dunk contest, but no one here is close to him athletically or has his instincts as a scorer, not to mention competitor.
    • I like Kyle Anderson, but people are mixed on his NBA prospects. I think he should start at PG in the game and that Ben Howland will put the ball in his hands at UCLA. The pace he plays at might be an issue at the NBA level and I think eventually he will have to learn to play more off of the ball. But, he never seems to lose the ball and makes people look ridiculous off of the dribble. He is super versatile, but the lack of top end speed and lateral quickness lead to question marks about his NBA future.
    • Only one and done’s in this group look like Shabazz and Nerlens. They might not be the only ones who leave after one year, but they probably should be. Nerlens might even benefit from another year of college, but he has upside and is a freak athlete for his size. Still, he is incredibly skinny (205 is what he is listed at) and he had no post game of note. His release on his shot is not bad and he flew up for some rebounds, but comparisons to Anthony Davis seem a tad untrue. Do not think he has that type of aggression. Will see at the game tomorrow, but do not expect Anthony Davis.
    • Tony Parker easily played the best out of any of the bigs in the scrimmage. He was the only one who had good hands and might have gotten more offensive rebounds than any of the others combined (maybe slight exaggeration, but he definitely was the best offensive rebounder). Not an explosive athlete, but he got into the middle of the paint and did some damage. He seems like a long term college player, but I would count the school getting him as lucky, especially if he slims down a bit.
    • Archie Goodwin was great in transition and a nice slasher. He let his guy score on him a few times, but I liked his level of effort. Seems like a great fit at Kentucky, but those expecting him to fill in for Doron Lamb be warned that he is not close to his class as a shooter.
    • Gary Harris also looked pretty good in the scrimmages after not standing out much yesterday. Might be the best overall SG as far as skill set goes and has a nice looking shot. Not flashy but should be a solid long term player for Tom Izzo.
    • Rasheed Sulaimon definitely has the nicest looking shot, but did very little off of the dribble plus I felt he passed up some open looks. He seems to fit that Seth Curry/Andre Dawkins type for Duke, though he is also the smallest SG here (around 6’3 if that)
    • Mitch McGary. Ugh. I am sorry, I might be too hard on the guy, but I just do not see what people were so enamored with. He built a house and was constantly out of position. He had a nice steal and dunk at one point, definitely his highlight, but he lost a band aid, lol. Just nothing seemed to be going right for the dude. Plus I heard some whispers surrounding, of course, his being a year older than everyone on the team. Safe to say, people were a bit premature in crowning him the crown jewel of 2012’s big men. Kaleb Tarczewski is much more athletic and seems to have more to work with down the line. Neither look like one and done’s, though.

Sorry if I left something out but that is a rough draft of what I will bring in my US practice report that should be up soon. Would like to thank Aran for this opportunity, Tyler for being an awesome person to work with and to the people involved in the Nike Hoop Summit who have been as nice as can be. If you guys have any more questions or opinions, post below. Hope you all check out the game tomorrow at 10 ET/7 PT, should be on some Fox Sports channel. Tyler was the first to predict an International victory and I think I will still roll with the US. But, I have to say, it could be a close game and I would not be surprised if the World won. The US better have more urgency than they did in the scrimmages today, or it might even get ugly.

paradigmn
    Participant

Nice rundown Mikey….Thanx!!!

Have to say I agree with your assesment.

1 questions for you:

Looks like Bennet’s height might be an issuse with his NBA future???….DANG…I like his game…you think he an play the 3 at the next level???

anyways…good stuff like always man.

nick5354
    Participant

Great read, thanks mate

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

He is a tank and should be a beast at the college level. But, I think his size could be an issue as far as the NBA is concerned. He definitely does not have prototypical NBA PF size, even with his long arms. Plus, I am not sure he is quick enough to guard the 3. Again, am not sure he is a one and done, plus his injury concerns are already slightly there. I would love for him to do well because he seems like a great kid, but his NBA prospects do not seem to be immediate and I am not sure where he fits in. If he measured at 6’8 in shoes at the 2013 Draft camp (if he enters, which I think is no guarantee), he has either grown or it is a miracle.  

BleedingBlue
    Participant

Thank you so much for the report.

I also have a question: from you saw during the scrimmage, does Rasheed Sulaimon’s penetrating ability come even close to that of Austin Rivers? Because if the answer is no, we’ll be in pretty big trouble next year with absolutely no penetrating threat in half-court offense.

butidonthavemoney

"part 1 (was not much, I promise you. Tyler will have you covered),"

Actually, I’m just copying the text from that topic and sending it to Aran in an e-mail.

Rafter
    Participant

Excellent read man i’d +10 if i could, would love to read an extended report, but great job on giving on us the insight.

I look forward to reading your posts throughout the event in the future.

BothTeamsPlayedHard
    Participant

I don’t care what anyone else says, I prefer the Nikos Pappas updates.

chocboywndr
    Participant

Does anybody know if it will be streamed online

I know wiggins went to 2 years of high school at vaughn could he reclassify to 2013 if he wanted too?

Malcolmx
    Participant

I think he can go to 2013 if he wanted to but he would have to go to summer school this summer instead of going to camps and tournaments.Also I believe Bennett is one and done regardlesss of size.He is going to Kill in college.Did anyone ever see the article on him about how he wants to make his mother stop working the 2 jobs that she has been working for years. He says she barely gets to sleep because she has to always work and he wants to put an end to that. I’m cheering for A.Bennett

chocboywndr
    Participant

If Bennett is going to be a one and done kind of guy for sure and he is hearing already these rumors about his position, height and health he needs to do a few things over next 12 months. Seeing as he is in Vegas try to get in touch with Larry Johnson see if he can steal some insight and post moves they are a similar size and build. They also both seem to have the explosiveness in common. He also needs really work on his handle and dribble footwork so he can show he can take advantage of bigger players of the dribble and pull up for mid range shot. Get his body right bring down body fat get as lean and strong without losing athletic ability to take away as many concerns about his health and if it "good weight" he is carrying. Being a Toronto guy really want to see him succeed.

Zaratuk
    Participant

Thanks alot, for doind this my friend! I think if he wants to get the nba as fast as possible, he will end up at UK

peZt93
    Participant

You can watch the game here

http://www.fibatv.premiumtv.co.uk/

uknation
    Participant

Bennett should be fine in the NBA. Watched him a couple of times in Vegas the past two years, has a very good jump shot with range and can get to the hole. Needs to work more on his handles but that’s fixable.   People who haven’t watched him much think he’s strictly a PF but anyone who has watched him a lot knows he should be able to transition to the three pretty easily.

uknation
    Participant

I wonder if Mitch M started reading his press clippings, he doesn’t run as hard as he did this summer and he looks to be more out of shape than he was during the summer.  I’ve always been concerned with his upside since he will be 20 in June.  Wiggins is good regardless but he’s another one who,s a year older for his class. He will be 18 in Feb 

draft2017
    Participant

Anthony Bennett will be a 3 man when its time for him to enter the draft whether thats 1 or 2 years, he has a mans body , he can shoot and has enough handles to get to the rim. He need work on is lateral quickness and his handle a bit more but i see him as a kawai lenord type player

draft2017
    Participant

If wiggins was in the 2013 hs class where would he be ranked?

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

All indications are that he would more than likely be #2 in the class behind Jabari Parker. Though, a scout I talked to said that he feels Parker and Wiggins are the two best prospects in HS basketball right now, even taking Shabazz Muhammad and Nerlens Noel into consideration. Also, Quincey, Wiggins will indeed be 18 in about 10 months from now and is older than Jabari Parker. But, he is also a much better player and prospect than Mitch McGary right now.

Grandmama
    Participant

Good sh*t Mikey, good read…

“Though, a scout I talked to said that he feels Parker and Wiggins are the two best prospects in HS basketball right now,”

I feel the same way. Parker and Wiggins are the two best prospects in high school.

McDunkin

McDunkin will like this) Shabazz Muhammad is the best player in the class of 2012. Noel may have more upside (I am not so sure), but it is a landslide in my opinion. Shabazz is the guy in 2012 and is looking like a strong possibility as the first pick in 2013.

Now for those of you wondering about this. A looooong time ago It was I the man people think knows nothing about basketball that said Shabazz Muhammad was THE best prospect in the 2012 class…this was when isaiah austin was still considered the best big and I was still saying it when the Andre Drummond is the next Dwight article came out

I also predicted Chu Chu would get drafted last year

Give me my props

aamir543
    Participant

Proud Gramps and MikeyV are neck and neck for the right to represent nbadraft.net vs Shredog Lifer in the finals, baring a llperez miracle. Gramps is up 5-4, but is only up by 1 steal, 85-86. That catagory will most likely decide the winner. Gramps has 5 players suiting up tommorow, and MikeyV has 7 if you include D-Rose, who is a gametime decision, should be a good one.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login