This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar NCarmean18 9 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
    NCarmean18
    Participant

Hello forum.  I have been doing a lot of thinking and thus have decided to share my personal opinion as to who the top ten players are at each position so far in this 2014-15 NBA season.  Now as I have said, these picks are just my humble opinion, generated to raise speculation and debate within the forum.  

#10. Tony Parker – San Antonio Spurs

You cannot argue that when healthy, Tony Parker is one of the elite point guards within the association.  He has struggled with some health issues this season, however whenever he has played, he has been very efficient and has shot the ball extremely well from behind the three point arc for the first time in his career.  

Tony Parker always seems to be one of the most uunderrated point guards in the NBA, yet his true value is always put on display during the NBA playoffs.  He is unselfish and is a team-oriented player.  Any coach would be lucky to have a guy like T.A. on their squad, and for Coach Pop, well, there is a reason why this team has won so many championships throughout the last decade and a half.  

#9. Rajon Rondo – Dallas Mavericks

Rajon Rondo has looked rejuvenated since being traded to the Dallas Mavericks last month.  Some may argue that Rondo should be higher on this list due to his rebounding, defensive versatility, and championship nature, however to me #9 is a good fit.  He can still rise and fall throughout the remainder of the season too.  

Rondo is a versatile player as I mentioned above.  He is a two-way player that shines bright during the biggest games (29 points, 5-7 3Pt in his return to Boston).  Dallas is going to need his toughness and play-making ability for the postseason.  If he can provide Dallas with the spark that they need to make a deep postseason run, well, I’d be terrified to draw Dallas in the Western Conference playoffs.  

#8. Jeff Teague – Atlanta Hawks

This is where I am going to piss a lot of people off, but so be it.  I love Jeff Teague’s game, and he is having an amazing season.  The Atlanta Hawks currently sit at the top of the Southeast division standings with a record of 26-8.  While Paul Millsap will likely get a bulk of the credit, people need to understand just how good Jeff Teague has been for the Eastern Conference’s Spurs squad. 

Thus far, Teague is averaging 17 points, 3 rebounds, and 7 assists per night while shooting 48% from the floor, 35% from three point land, and 87% from the charity stripe.  He has been both efficient and explosive, providing the Hawks with the floor general presence that Tony Parker similarly provides San Antonio with. 

I know that the Hawks are not a Nationally televised team, but they should be with the way they play.  Jeff Teague is a big reason that the Hawks are performing well above their expectations, and he should be a first-time All-Star this season as long as his continues to find success.  That’s just my humble opinion on the matter. 

#7. Kyrie Irving – Cleveland Cavaliers

It has been a season of drama for Kyrie Irving.  Coming off of a brand new, 5-year, $90 million extension with the Cavs and LeBron James and Kevin Love on board, Kyrie Irving has played pretty well so far this season.  He has not been spectacular, but chemistry issues and nagging injuries can take a lot of the blame for that.  

Kyrie Irving has all of the tools to be a top 5 point guard in the league.  While he is on the cusp of this, I still think he needs to improve on his perimeter shooting and playing better team basketball.  If he can do that, the sky is the limit for young Kyrie Irving.  

#6. Kyle Lowry – Toronto Raptors

What a ride it has been for the Toronto Raptors and Kyle Lowry.  After suffering through a multitude of injuries in the early stages of his career, Kyle Lowry never really played up to his expectations, until last season of course.  Lowry broke out as the Raptors went on an amazing run after trading Rudy Gay 18 games into the regular season last year.  Ever since then, Kyle Lowry has been completely and utterly elite for the Toronto Raptors.  

Lowry is a perfect fit in Toronto.  With a defensive-minded head coach in Dwane Casey, Lowry is the perfect fit for this tough, rugged defensive squad.  Lowry is a bulldog.  Night in and night out, his toughness is unmatched.  He is a very good scorer, and shows his willingness as a distributor.  He has the full package, and could leap into the top 5 very soon. 

#5. Damian Lillard – Portland Trail Blazers. 

Wow.  How did this guy end up playing college basketball at Weber State.  It just doesn’t make sense to me.  Needless to say, Damian Lillard is good.  No.  That’s an understatement.  Damian Lillard is great, and he is a player that I have a ton of respect for.  

Even at his young age, Lillard is the co-leader on one of, if not the best squad in basketball.  Him and LaMarcus Aldridge are a perfect tandem in Portland, and together, the sky is the limit.  

Offensively, Lillard is great.  He can hit a shot from anywhere on the court (just ask Houston).  He can also take it to the hole and finish around or above taller defenders.  Defensively, he still has some work to do, but if he works as hard on that portion of his game as he does in general on the game of basketball, Damian Lillard will be a bonifide superstar. 

#4. John Wall – Washington Wizards.

I love John Wall’s game.  Without any doubt in my mind, he is an elite point guard in this league.  He’s extremely versatile, as he can provide this young Wizards squad with so many different abilities.  He can pass, score, rebound, and defend at a high level.  Also, his athleticism is out of this world.  

The thing that I like the most about Wall is that he is becoming the voice that this team so desperately needed.  John Wall is becoming THE MAN in our nation’s capital, and I love how veterans and young players alike follow under his leadership.  The next step for Wall is playoff success.  As long as he continues to play the way he has, that too should follow suit. 

#3. Chris Paul – Los Angeles Clippers. 

Ahh yes, now the big debate.  The top three picks.  Many may be surprised that CP3 is ranked #3 and not #2, or even #1 for that matter.  However, I think CP3 is on the edge of of his prime.  While he is still an out-standing two-way player, Chris Paul is no longer the games best point guard. 

The reason that I like Chris Paul so much in this spot is because of what he provides for the Clippers.  Vocal leadership both on and off of the court.  He has always been an undervalued player to me, yet he is so vital to this Clippers squad.  On offense, he is the leader of that team.  Without him, there would be no one to run the offense.  He just understands the game so well, and he is so unselfish that he makes everyone around him that much better. 

On defense, Paul is a pesky defender who plays the passing lanes very well and does not back down from a challenge, even though he is often times a little smaller than some of the players that he has to defend.  

#2. Russell Westbrook – Oklahoma City Thunder

"R-Dubya" as I like to call him, Russell Westbrook is a beast.  Kevin Durant will likely get most of the attention on the Thunder, and rightfully so, but Russell Westbrook is an elite point guard.  

His athleticism is off of the charts good.  He can bounce around the gym like a mad man, and has little trouble using this to his advantage.  Westbrook is also very confident in his game, as he was single-handedly winning games for the Thunder early in the season whenever Durant was out. 

While his shot selection has been questioned in the past, Westbrook has done a great job picking and choosing his spots this season, thus performing better than he ever has before.  He could be the #1 option on a playoff team for sure, but the Thunder are lucky enough to pair him with Kevin Durant.  With two potential MVP candidates in OKC, the sky is the limit for the Thunder, and Russell Westbrook alike. 

#1. Stephen Curry – Golden State Warriors

Never did I expect Stephen Curry to be the best point guard in the NBA.  I honestly never did.  But he has impressed the hell out of me, and without a doubt in my mind, he is the best point guard in the NBA right now. 

His handles are silky smooth, his jump shot is untouchable, and he is now the leader of a Golden State Warriors team who has their eyes set on an NBA Championship.  Curry has also become a much better defender than he used to be, and his leadership qualities just continue to get better.  

Steph Curry right now to me is the best point guard in the NBA.  

Just missed the cut: Mike Conley, Brandon Knight, Derrick Rose, Goran Dragic, & Ty Lawson. 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login