This topic contains 17 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar JunkYardDog 12 years, 6 months ago.

• Author
    projectpat310
    Participant

Where every NBA Free Agent (who matters) should go once the lockout is done: http://www.baselinej.com/2011-nba-free-agents/ The lack of stars is startling… LOL. I guess all of them were free agents last summer.

Charlie Sheen
    Participant

1. Tyson Chandler- Mavericks if not, Heat

2. Nene- Nuggets if not, Knicks

3. David West- Hornets if not, Pacers

4. Jamal Crawford- Bulls if not, Celtics, Hawks, Knicks or Lakers

5. Shannon Brown- Lakers if not, Celtics

6. Jeff Green- Celtics if not, Thunder

7. JJ Barea- Mavericks if not, Heat

8. Caron Butler- Mavericks if not, Lakers

9. Kris Humphries- Nets if not Lakers or Pacers

10. Greg Oden- Trailblazers if not, Heat, Knicks or Celtics

11. Nick Young- Wizards if not, Bulls, Celtics or Magic 

12. Delonte West- Lakers if not, Knicks, Celtics or Magic

13. Glen Davis- Celtics if not, Magic

14. Marc Gasol- Grizzles if not, Knicks

15. Tayshaun Prince- Magic if not, Thunder

16. Deandre Jordan- Clippers if not, Heat, Knicks or Celtics

17. Shane Battier- Grizzles if not, Heat, Knicks, Celtics, Magic or Warriors

18. Jason Richardson- Magic if not, Bulls, Knicks or Hornets

19. Carl Landry- Pacers if not, Hornets or Wizards

20. Arron Afflalo- Nuggets(Most Obvious) if not Bulls

JunkYardDog
    Participant

I love afflalo…

I don’t understande why he has not been more chased.

He is from a wininng program  (UCLA several years ago), always worked hard to make his name, is a great teammate, in constant porgress, can shoot the 3 at a great percentage, great defensive threat too.

He is the perfect player from the bench for contender such as the bulls or the celtics. 

Charlie Sheen
    Participant

Denver has already lost Chandler and Smith no way they let Afflalo go and if they do and throw big money at Nick Young, David West and Nene then Afflalo will fit perfectly so perfect in Chicago

Rose-Afflalo-Deng-Boozer-Noah

Woooooooooooooo That’s scary 

dmo21
    Participant

I really doubt that pretty much every free agent ends up with one of the top teams in the league like the people above me believe.

According to espn’s trade machine the Lakers already have 12 players under contract and then the 3 players they drafted this year (they may not make the team though). With 12 players on the team and your starting lineup intact by paying them a lot of money, do you think they have money to bring over Crawford to back up Kobe and I don’t think Crawford would fit the system either as the triangle doesn’t look to have ball dominant scoring point guards if you think he is going to backup Fisher as well.

And for Redd, of course he would want to go to the Celtics to win a championship but why would they pay a guy that is getting up in age and is injured lots of the time. Celtics are already old and they do lack a bench so they would probably want some guys who they know for sure would actually be able to play and maybe be a part of there future.

In the end I just don’t see every free agent being picked up by the top 5 or 6 teams in the league. There are lots of other teams that have a chance to flash some money at them to make them play. And if a harsher cap rule comes into place, very few will have the chance to get picked up by contenders.

omphalos
    Participant

Here are some alternate suggestions for those I care about;

Jamal Crawford, Hawks – The Thunder. They need scoring off the bench to allow Harden to move into the starting unit, and he and Russ could play together in the 4th quarter, with Westbrook having the size to guard most 2-guards at a reasonable capacity. Crawford would be with a legitimate contender, and so long as he wasn’t looking for a huge payday everybody wins.

Jeff Green, Celtics (R) – The Celtics. They are grooming him to be a part of their long-term future, he needs to stick around.

Delonte West, Celtics – Hopefully not the Celtics. Not a fan of his attitude.

Glen Davis, Celtics – The Celtics. They need an inside presence, and with more consistent minutes Davis has shown he can produce.

JJ Barea, Mavericks – I see him sticking with the Mavs, even if they have to overpay a little, it’s Cuban after all.

Tyson Chandler, Mavericks – Same as above.

Deshawn Stevenson, Mavericks – Clippers; they need depth at the SF, he’d provide toughness, experience and ranged shooting to the Clippers.

Arron Afflalo, Nuggets (R) – I think he sticks around with the Nuggets, he has a chance to be the new face of the franchise alongside Lawson and their young players. He has an opportunity to be a real leader here, and with more offensive freedom could really put up numbers, his skill-set is a lot more solid than people realise.

Nene Hilario, Nuggets – Indiana Pacers. They need an inside presence at the PF, and Nene is an efficient scorer who would fit perfectly here.

Rodney Stuckey, Pistons (R) – The Phoenix Suns. Nash is on the way out, and Stuckey’s aggressiveness and playmaking, as well as his size to guard the 2 fits well with Brooks’ shooting and scoring mentality. Stocks are thin at this position for the Suns also.

Tracy McGrady, Pistons – Chicago Bulls really is the perfect fit. He’s proved his health this season, and he could still contribute to a contender and take the pressure off Rose offensively.

Tayshaun Prince, Pistons – I wrote a piece about this, but he’d be a good fit with the Nets in my opinion. They mean to make an impact immediately, and Deron Williams needs veteran help. SF is their weakest position so Prince would fit right in.

DeAndre Jordan, Clippers (R) – Yeah he’s staying put. You’d have to be daft to jump ship before it really to

Shannon Brown, Lakers – I really don’t think he’s worth all the money people might throw at him, Kobe made him look good a lot of the time, and he disappeared in the playoffs. Very hot and cold player, he’s best served as a spark plug off the bench, and I’m thinking OKC is the perfect fit for him.

Marc Gasol, Grizzlies (R) – Did you just say Gasol might have been the best player on the Grizz? Come on now. He’ll stay put though.

Shane Battier, Grizzlies – Another candidate for the Clippers or Nets who need veteran depth. Both teams would benefit from his D and his leadership like Memphis did.

Michael Redd, Bucks – I can see him ending up in Chicago for the veteran’s minimum. He hasn’t got a whole lot of burn the past few years, so he could be surprisingly fresh when (if) healthy.

David West, Hornets – The Hornets are in the process of being sold by the NBA to a new owner. They won’t want to tie up their payroll with any more long term deals, which means West’s time in New Orleans is done. The Magic could definitely use a player of West’s talents at the 4 next to Dwight Howard, but they don’t have the cap space. The Charlotte Bobcats look like the ideal destination.

Carl LandryHornets – One of the best energy guys in the league. Landry can come into the game and make a difference immediately. The Hornets will likely retain his services since they’ll be letting their starting power forward go in free agency. Landry will be the beneficiary of Chris Paul’s vision and will easily average a double double with starters minutes.

Jason Richardson, Magic – I think the Magic need to give Gilbert a chance to find his form, so Richardson is gone. Richardson is a nice role player, but Gilbert has a higher ceiling if he’s in form, so they gotta follow through with their investment.

Spencer Hawes76ers R – Might get bought by a team like the Knicks who need a big, passing bigman.

Thaddeus Young76ers R – I could see him ending up with the Suns, they are pretty holllow beyond Grant Hill, and Pietrus is supposedly trying to bail. They need to get younger, and Thad has stud potential if they can bring it out. Charlotte is another candidate, they need someone who’ll excite the fanbase, and they are thin at the SF with Jackson and Wallace gone. Their only rotation calibre player at the SF is Maggette, and we know he isn’t a long-term solution.

Samuel Dalembert, Kings – I see him going to the Knicks or maybe Miami. Boston is also a possibility, as their frontline has lost a bit of depth with Shaq retiring and Semih being traded. Hawks also come to mind.

Nick Young, Wizards (R) – Wizards won’t want to overpay now that they’ve got Jordan Crawford, who is the same age as Wall and a perfect compliment to him. Young would be great in Chicago alongside Rose as that secondary scorer/dead-eye shooter they need, but I can see him ending up somewhere he’ll get paid a lot, get his shots, but not necessarily win a whole heap. Phoenix comes to mind.

Greg OdenBlazers (R) – I think Phoenix is the best fit, and Oden might sacrifice some money in the short term to get healthy and have a better career. The only thing standing in his way is Gortat, who has shown himself to be a starting calibre player. If the Hawks had the money, he’d be a great fit. Smith, Horford and Oden would be a great frontline for the future, and might just put them over the edge into true contender status.

projectpat310
      Participant

Awesome reply. I like all of those. When I said Gasol MIGHT have been the best player, that’s exactly right. He was definitely the most consistent. Z-Bo had bigger games for sure. 

omphalos
    Participant

Should add I forgot to delete his comments on Landry and West, those aren’t mine.

raybeas
    Participant

with cap room would help determine where the free agents are likely to go. But I guess we wont know cap room untill (if) the lockout ends with a new CBA.

Hitster
    Participant

The Nuggets have lost two restricted FA’s to China and K-Mart has also sgned up to play over there so they have lost 3 rotation players straight up and would surely want to keep Afflalo as he is still relatively young and would not be on a huge contract.

Nene is more interesting as although he has spent all his career there, he decided to opt out and Denver mght wish to preserve cap space for a stronger 2012 FA market and with an eye on the loaded 2012 draft could feel that a year’s struggle would be better long term than resigning a solid starter in Nene who whilst he would help them is not the sort of player to build a team around. Thus they might feel that the sort of hefty contract Nene mght want would be better saved than spent on a guy who is now 29 years old.

Nene would be in demand and like David West could be an excellent fit at say the Nets to give Brook Lopez and D-Will so support or as a more senior player on a team like the Pacers.

Denver may even look to do an S and T for Nene to bring in a possible extra pick to help with rebuildng or to bring other teams into play for him.

With lottery teams having the majority of cap space we could well see the top FA’s perhaps going to those type of teams as the big hitters wait for the 2012 FA season.

A fun idea might be Nene moves on and David West goes to Denver to fill K-Mart’s role!  

tareef32
    Participant

As a celtics fan it would be nice if the celtics could sign Jordan and Oden

natedoggg
    Participant

with what cap space could boston sign them?

I know everyone wishes for certain things but in free agency you need to look at things more logically, like who has cap space, team needs/depth charts etc.

JunkYardDog
    Participant

It’s difficult to talk about cap without knowing nothing about futur decision : hard or soft and how big it will be (nothing sexual calm down) ? exceptions : number and amount ?… 

JayhawkFan23
    Participant

i dont think the thunder would want another pg in shannon brown…
    they have Westbrook, Maynor, Robinson, Jackson, and Ivey

even if they use him as a sg they already have..
    Harden, Sefolosha, Cook, and Vaden.

projectpat310
    Participant

Oden is the biggest wildcard. He may get a late career resurgence into greatness (a la Steve Nash). He’s going to sign a midlevel type of deal (I’m referring to salary range, since the new CBA probably won’t have midlevel exceptions). 

Getting a STUD center for $5 mill a year? What a steal… I think several teams will take the risk on him.

http://www.baselineJ.com

omphalos
    Participant

I think they’d play him at the SG spot if the Thunder were to take Brown. It looks like Harden will be moved into the starting lineup, so they’ll need to replace his scoring off the bench. Thabo can play the SF, Cook is strictly a shooter, and Vaden isn’t really a reason not to pick up Brown.

Celtics should either target Oden or hold out for the Dwight Howard sweepstakes where they’ll have the cap space to make a run at him.

projectpat310
      Participant

Orlando won’t let Howard get to Free Agency. He will resign or be traded. They’re not about to watch this scenario play out again and get nothing in return (Shaq). 

JunkYardDog
    Participant

It’s too late for orlando to wake up and cry, they don’t have any word to say…. that’s up to howard only. They should have been enough clever to build something solid around him, no bets (arenas, turk’ 2.0…)

I think the celtics should wait for next FA (that’s to say 2012, they will have great money to spend) and forget about this false soon to be season. Oden is too risky and jordan not good enoughvto change things.

They can rebuild around rondo, jeff green, wether howard or make a run at love or hibbert, sign a sg : mayo or fields ?… , and if they don’t manage to take love (difficult bet) or howard make a run at kaman. With kg and allen as complementary pieces and a 10 to 15 draft pick in 2012 (from the clippers) they should be contender.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login