NBA Draft: Marcus Smart may end up declaring for 2013 NBA Draft

lakeshow22
NBA Draft: Marcus Smart may end up declaring for 2013 NBA Draft

word is out that marcus smart is having seconds thoughts and could end up declaring for the draft after all.

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2013/4/26/4271506/2013-nba-draft-ru...

Windy City Assassin
It would be a sad day for

It would be a sad day for NCAA fans if he reconsiders. However if he did declare it would be nice to see him go #1 overall since he has created so much buzz recently.

ShekiruBoom
ShekiruBoom's picture
ironically the source for

ironically the source for your source is the site you are posting your source

TheArtistPaysth...
TheArtistPaysthePrice's picture
If I could have 2+ed that

If I could have 2+ed that comment instead of 1, I would have.

DefenseWinsChamps
DefenseWinsChamps's picture
Sites that make wild general

Sites that make wild general statements, citing no source, or even an anonymous source, lose their journalistic credibility.

PointFourSeconds
PointFourSeconds's picture
This would be a great move

This would be a great move for him. I feel like he is one of the few players in this draft who can come into the NBA next season, make an impact, and make a strong run for rookie of the year.

Siggy
I think he'd be a big project

I think he'd be a big project as a rookie, especially if he's gonna be running the point. His skills need a lot of work, so does his decision making.

lakeshow22
siggy is that why you have

siggy is that why you have him ranked lower than most people?

Siggy
Yep. Maybe I just don't see

Yep. Maybe I just don't see what others see. I certainly don't see him being good enough to be a ROY type player as soon as next yr. His shot needs a lot of work and so does his handle. He's had exactly one yr in his LIFE manning the PG full time. His decision making was spotty, so was his shot selection. That sounds like a project to me. For as competitive of a player as he is, he's not going to will his way into being a much better shooter and ball-handler or learn the position well enough to be the coach on the floor within a yr.

There are other reason why I had him ranked lower, like his below average athleticism and because I don't think he has a good enough handle to be a primary ball-handler. I see him playing off the ball more, in which case he loses some of his luster as a prospect.

lakeshow22
A lot of the things you said

A lot of the things you said didn't stop mkg from being the 2nd pick and his handle and offensive game is much worst than smarts. If you saw mkg play this year he looked much like a project. Ya this was his first year actually playing point guard but all through out high school the ball was mostly in his hands. Why don't you think his handle or jump shot wont improve? Also he's not a great athlete but in no way is he below average. Beliw average is Like Andre miller and he's certainly not that.

Siggy
The difference, and it's a

The difference, and it's a huge difference, is that one player plays a position where he plays on the ball, so ball skills and decision making are a necessity. MKG can play the utility, energy, defender role while not having nearly as much offensive responsibility.

Actually he played all over the floor in HS, not just on the ball. He even spent a lot of time as a PF for his team, operating from the high post or working the baseline and short corners, especially vs zones.

Jump shots can improve. Do I think that he has a good enough jump shot (among other skills) to be an impact player as soon as next yr, enough to be ROY? No.

Improving a handle is a different story. Historically, it's only something that can be improved only to a certain degree. Besides, having a good handle is a requirement for the PG position. How many NBA PGs are there that don't have a good handle?

lakeshow22
Was tyreke Evans jump shot

Was tyreke Evans jump shot good enough to win ROY? I think marcus smart ability to fill out the box sheet along with his defense could put him in the running for Roy depending on the situation

Siggy
Evans' rookie yr was a sham.

Evans' rookie yr was a sham. The reason he won was because the coaching staff and organization gave him carte blanche and got out of his way in an effort to build him up as a future superstar since the franchise had nothing else to sell. After subsequent years you can see just how "real" his rookie season was. Sure, if Smart was given that type of freedom, then there's a maybe, but I'd still take the field. For as broke of a jumper that Tyreke had, and still has, he had a tremendous handle that allowed him to get to wherever he wanted to on the floor. Can't say the same about Smart, who I think will be very reliant on ball screens to get past his man.

lakeshow22
Ya I would also take the

Ya I would also take the field, but I also don't think that smarts jumpshot is as bad as some think and a lot of his low percentages has more to do with his shot selection. Still smart could average around 15, 5, and 5 to go along with like 2 steals which would give him a good chance of winning it. Ya his ball handling isn't great and could tighten up, but with everything he brings to the table he should be a top 3 pick

NYFLAVA2K9
+1... I agree on being a

+1... I agree on being a project as a rookie.. He's a jack of all trades and a master of none. I think best case scenario he's Jason Kidd with less vision... a low 40's shooter, but will be one of the best at his position getting rebounds and steals. The problem with that comparison is Kidd's passing is what made his shooting tolerable, and with Smart his passing just isn't at that level. A very solid prospect and person all around, I just don't see number one pick when I look at him.

Tyrober
Tyrober's picture
Maybe he got tired of people

Maybe he got tired of people telling him how many millions he was losing..

strobox88
Or maybe he's realized

Or maybe he's realized usually potential top 5 projected freshman usually don't end up in the top 5 after their sophomore seasons. Ultimately, it's Smart's decision, but I think father time is calling for him to go now. He's still a long ways (3 years) from graduation, so staying an extra year won't earn him a degree next year. Go and make your money, compete and improve with the best basketball players in the world, and login school hours during the offseason.

mamadou

Yep, maybe he saw sullinger, zeller and barnes lately...

FastAndFurious
FastAndFurious's picture
If he really thought it out

If he really thought it out then I can see why he's changing his mind, besides the millions, being able to live out your dream, and everything else, the main thing is INJURY, what happens if he tears his ACL? Anything can happen tommorow is not promised, he should just declare!

IknoBall12
Idk why he's having 2nd thoughts

I mean he had more than enough time to weigh his options. Teams are going to wonder is this guy going to be invested in the while season after hearing of rumors like this if they are true. And can you imagine the ok state fan base if this turns out to be true

strobox88
Assuming it's true, I bet the

Assuming it's true, I bet the teams who were planning on drafting him have their tongues soaking wet in anticipation.

CavFanPR
I absolutely saw this coming.

I absolutely saw this coming. He's projected to go top 3, and next years draft is loaded. This is great news for the Magic, who desperately need a point guard moving forward. Pairing him with Harkless, Harris and Vucevic is a dream come true for them. However, if another team like the Jazz (major luck) or the Hornets win the lottery, they might pull the trigger.

ph90702
I hope Marcus Smart changes

I hope Marcus Smart changes his mind and declares for the 2013 NBA Draft. He's a top 5 pick if he comes out. He can lose out on millions of dollars if he gets injured.

halfdecayed
and

This would make the Magic happy

FastAndFurious
FastAndFurious's picture
I mean I don't get why people

I mean I don't get why people are saying I don't know why he changed his mind lol hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....who wouldn't change their mind or think hard if a Million + dollars was standing on the other side????? it's a position none of us have been in! A million + dollars just to hoop, yea I'd think about that everyday as well.

RSS: Syndicate content