This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Demarcus Nelson 9 years, 10 months ago.

• Author
    drk3351
    Participant

Hey guys a made a PG draft video analyzing the players and giving my bold predictions and rankings. You guys are bound to disagree so hit me with negs if you want I guess. Let me know what you think and thanks for watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch

Ballinmvp
    Participant

Very nice video, it’s good to see people go in different directions but why do you have Payton over exum and smart if you don’t  mind me asking?

Ballinmvp
    Participant

Very nice video, it’s good to see people go in different directions but why do you have Payton over exum and smart if you don’t  mind me asking?

SwatLakeCity
    Participant

I think your rankings are just a little off but I’m not gonna argue that, especially when I haven’t seen your formula. 

My Rankings for the PGs:

1. Dante Exum (Although I don’t consider him a Point Guard more of a 2 guard)
    2. Marcus Smart
    3. Elfrid Payton
    4. Tyler Ennis
    5. Shabazz Napier
    6. Jordan Clarkson
    7. Semaj Christon
    8. Deonte Burton
    9. Jahii Carson
    10. Deandre Kane (the last are interchangeable, but I have a little bias towards guys from small schools)

Other Notables: Bryce Cotton (haven’t seen too much of him), Russ Smith, Kendall Williams (I don’t think I remember seeing him in your rankings)

I also think your comparisons are a little off. You really need to look at these player’s stock before you compare them. How can you compare Deandre Kane to Tyreke Evans? Evans was a top 5 pick in the 2009 draft. He’s not a bust, and had an outstanding rookie year. Do you really think Kane can have that outstanding of a rookie year when he is a late second rounder? (I sure hope not.) And Ennis really, he’s not that impressive? (okay maybe that is an argument) but does he really need to be able to create for himself? Certainly its a bonus if you can, but not necessary from the PG position. Look at the PG’s today, there are alot that can’t create for themselves (Mike Conley, Mario Chalmers, Jose Calderon, Brandon Knight, Derek Fisher, Trey Burke(but he’s young so I guess you can leave him off this list)) yet all are still good PG’s. Yes, it certainly does make or break a pick but you still can’t count out his cerebral impact he should have. 

SwatLakeCity
    Participant

I think your rankings are just a little off but I’m not gonna argue that, especially when I haven’t seen your formula. 

My Rankings for the PGs:

1. Dante Exum (Although I don’t consider him a Point Guard more of a 2 guard)
    2. Marcus Smart
    3. Elfrid Payton
    4. Tyler Ennis
    5. Shabazz Napier
    6. Jordan Clarkson
    7. Semaj Christon
    8. Deonte Burton
    9. Jahii Carson
    10. Deandre Kane (the last are interchangeable, but I have a little bias towards guys from small schools)

Other Notables: Bryce Cotton (haven’t seen too much of him), Russ Smith, Kendall Williams (I don’t think I remember seeing him in your rankings)

I also think your comparisons are a little off. You really need to look at these player’s stock before you compare them. How can you compare Deandre Kane to Tyreke Evans? Evans was a top 5 pick in the 2009 draft. He’s not a bust, and had an outstanding rookie year. Do you really think Kane can have that outstanding of a rookie year when he is a late second rounder? (I sure hope not.) And Ennis really, he’s not that impressive? (okay maybe that is an argument) but does he really need to be able to create for himself? Certainly its a bonus if you can, but not necessary from the PG position. Look at the PG’s today, there are alot that can’t create for themselves (Mike Conley, Mario Chalmers, Jose Calderon, Brandon Knight, Derek Fisher, Trey Burke(but he’s young so I guess you can leave him off this list)) yet all are still good PG’s. Yes, it certainly does make or break a pick but you still can’t count out his cerebral impact he should have. 

Biggysmalls
    Participant

I hate to nitpick but Conley is like a top 10 PG in the league right now when you take into account his 2 way ability. He creates for himself plenty. But I get your point that there are a lot of spot up shooter type "Point Guards" who are classified as Pgs moreso because of their size than playing style.

PGs need to be good decision makers. They need to be able to survey defenses and make quick decisions, get other players into the right spots where they can be effective. I think its imperative that they are also at least a threat to score because of the likelihood that they will be handling the ball so often, they need to at least stress the defense with potential scoring ability.

An underrated quality that these guys need is the ability to fight through screens defensively, because most of em will get picked about 500 times a game nowadays

Biggysmalls
    Participant

I hate to nitpick but Conley is like a top 10 PG in the league right now when you take into account his 2 way ability. He creates for himself plenty. But I get your point that there are a lot of spot up shooter type "Point Guards" who are classified as Pgs moreso because of their size than playing style.

PGs need to be good decision makers. They need to be able to survey defenses and make quick decisions, get other players into the right spots where they can be effective. I think its imperative that they are also at least a threat to score because of the likelihood that they will be handling the ball so often, they need to at least stress the defense with potential scoring ability.

An underrated quality that these guys need is the ability to fight through screens defensively, because most of em will get picked about 500 times a game nowadays

SwatLakeCity
    Participant

I agree biggysmalls, but being a decision maker or even a threat to score does not require that the PG be able to create for himself. You can have a 3 point shot or be great at driving yet not be able to create for yourself. I’d even argue that its more important and absolutely critical that a PG needs to be able to create for his team rather than for himself. This was the point I was trying to make about Tyler Ennis and him not being able to create for himself.

SwatLakeCity
    Participant

I agree biggysmalls, but being a decision maker or even a threat to score does not require that the PG be able to create for himself. You can have a 3 point shot or be great at driving yet not be able to create for yourself. I’d even argue that its more important and absolutely critical that a PG needs to be able to create for his team rather than for himself. This was the point I was trying to make about Tyler Ennis and him not being able to create for himself.

Demarcus Nelson
    Participant

I really do he will get drafted. This guy can score and would dunk on you. 2nd round pick

Demarcus Nelson
    Participant

I really do he will get drafted. This guy can score and would dunk on you. 2nd round pick

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login