I have been impressed with the potential of Shabazz Muhammed - Why?
1. I Iove his physicality, great body strength, tenaciousness, and hungry desire to score at a high level in any possible way
2. He has the potential to be a very good all around scorer in the nba.
3. He moves well with-out the ball, has great awareness to flash to open spots on the court, and has great catch and shoot skills.
4. He has very good shooting mechanics and shooting skills ( especially when he sets his feet and shoots on balance )
5. He has an efficient and unorthodox mid range game ( pull-up jumpers, fadeaway jumpers, runners, teardrops,etc)
6. He has pretty good offensive footwork when working from the tripple threat position
7. He has the ability to create and make difficult shots against tough defense
8.He knows how to use his body strength to initiate contact and force his defender to play off balance.
9. He has a very underrated first-step ( he uses a combination of strength and quickness to create space) and can play above the rim when needed
10. He has the strength, bodycontrol, and skillset to finish lay-ups around the rim in traffic and against size, length, contact, and athleticism
11. He has mature, efficient, and very dynamic post-up skills
12. He's not a very creative ball-handler, but he has the ability to use the dribble to get to spots on the court where he can be the most effective as a scorer and shooter
13. I don't think he will be a star, but I think shabazz will be a very effective scorer for many years In the NBA
1. He's a below average shot creator for others.
2. He shot creating instincts off the dribble need improvement to maximize his ability to be a special and dynamic scorer in the NBA
3. His defensive footwork needs refinement for the purpose of improving the defensive posture that will maximize his balance and allow him to move in a efficient manner. Which will help him utilize his great physical tools at a higher level when he has to guard the best scorers and athletes in the NBA who play the shooting guard and small forward positions
NBA Comparison: Nick Anderson / Isiah Rider ( AKA: JR Rider )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO0QGmumuRE ( Shabazz showing good and bad qualities )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=q1clejSvlIs ( Shabazz showing good and bad qualities )
Rumor has it (atleast on twitter) that he's 20 years old and it will negatively impact his draft stock..
EDIT: just saw the other forum, my bad. still find it quite interesting. I wonder if he will slide very far or if at all.
Where would you take him in the draft?
Anthony bennett is scoring about the same with more rebounds more blocks more steals more athleticism....
and both have question marks about position in the NBA, bass could end up being this year Austin Rivers.
Question marks about position? It's different if your 6'6" and people aren't sure if you're a SG or a SF vs if you're 6'7" and people don't know if you're a SF or a PF.
He's not 20, who the hell told you that
I forget who first said it, but the best comparison for me as well so far is Jerry Stackhouse.
I also started to come to the conclusion that Bazz' game is going to translate very similar to Stackhouse except there are a few big differences. For one, Bazz is a much better shooter then Stackhouse was at UNC and even his first few years in the league. It took Stack a few years to get a consistent outside shot, Bazz already has one. And Stackhouse despite having a super strong and bouncy lower body, had a weak upper body. Bazz already has a well built upper body however he's not as bouncy as Stack was tho he's probably more powerful.
Good scouting report.
I think there are several guys who have top 5 potential this year, with whoever goes at number 1 depending a lot on who is drafting.
I like Shabbazz if he projects out as a bigger 2 guard on the next level. That would be really good for him. 2 guards with size and skill create a ton of problems for other teams.
He is 20, Chad Ford's twitter
His athleticism and being able to finish at the rim is average by NBA standards at best. He wants the ball in every possession, but is very limited because his iso/creating is poor, that is his biggest weakness. Isn't a good defender on or off the ball. Good at using his strength and body down low for hook shots. A very good spot up shooter with 3 point range. NBA comparison CDR/Jerry Stackhouse. How old is he ?
I think Nick Anderson and JR Rider are by far the best player comparisons for Shabazz Muhammad . Their overall skill set and style of play is very similar to Shabazz Muhammad overall talent and skill level. And they in my opinion have the same strength and weaknesses with-in their skill set that shabazz possesses
And who cares how old shabazz is, it's his father's fault for lying about his son age. Shabazz should ignore the foolish issue and just focus on playing well for ucla and then continue to prepare himself to have a successful career in NBA. NBA teams are not going to prevent themselves from drafting a talented prospect because of the mistakes of his father
Nah. Dude is 25 easily.
I've broken down Bazz's game a few other times. It is important to separate the myths that follow players from the early evaluations (started in college) from what we are seeing on television. I saw someone compare him to Stackhouse. Stack was an explosive athlete who moved more fluidly than Bazz. Bazz is a line bit of a straight line guy but it's not a completely off base comparison. The big red flag to me about him being successful in the NBA is that he simply cannot go right or create space with a dribble move. And that is a problem because his best asset is supposed to be his ability to score. If he was a MKG who was an intangibles guy then this would not be as big an issue because MKG brings so much else to the table. But Bazz's main attribute is supposed to be his scoring ability. But I'm not drafting a wing and giving him the keys in THIS league of ridiculous wings when I know he simply cannot create for himself.
Surprisingly he is very good coming off pin downs for catch and shoots. That was supposed to be the area he was weakest in and I find that his strongest attribute offensively.
Simply stated offensively he lacks creativity and he does not impact the game in any other way. Personally for me he is more of a 3/4 than a 2/3 (position wise) and he is going to have to work REALLY hard on his game to make himself into a scorer at the next level. Right now I see him being a role player at the next level.
"Personally for me he is more of a 3/4 than a 2/3 (position wise) and he is going to have to work REALLY hard on his game to make himself into a scorer at the next level. Right now I see him being a role player at the next level."
The Pessimest, one of the best posters here.
bazz stock will not go down for his age. there is a chance it slips a little though due to the parade that follows the fact that the truth was not told in the first place. while bazz is a top tier prospect, there are other players that are about the same level without the parade. i think noel's stock with the acl injury is about the same.