This topic contains 52 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Mopgrass 10 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    The Scare Crow Rises
    Participant

I believe it begins at the draft lottery, I have a feeling we land the 3rd pick and after Embiid and Wiggins go 1 and 2 respectively, we select F Jabarri Parker. Watching the Pelicans pick closely it’s safe to assume it’ll be another lottery pick in the 10-14 range. I am open to trading this pick if we can get a young starting SG back in the deal, I’d move the pick for Jeremy Lamb or Terrence Ross for example, if a trade like that isn’t available I’d target Gary Harris, Zach Lavine and James Young to play SG, unless of course a guy like Smart/Vonleh or Exum falls into our lap. As far as the second round picks go, I’d use them all to move into the top 20, especially if Aaron Gordon or Adrien Payne are still on the board. Harris and Payne would be the safe picks to pair up with Parker, although James Young and Aaron Gordon could turn into absolute studs in an NBA environment and have higher ceilings/lower floors than the Michigan State duo. We’d leave the draft with Jabari Parker and either duo of prospects in the 10-20 range(Harris/Payne or J.Young/Gordon) Enter free agency. We have a ton of cap space and could make a strong push at Greg Monroe and Lance Stephanson to start at SG and Pf/C while we let our rookies develop behind them. If we strike out on Lance and Monroe in 14′ we’d still have our cap space for future trades/signings and can look forward to adding another high draft pick in ’15 with a gamblers shot at signing Kevin Love as the missing piece in a market that would make Kevin Love a local Landmark

delco610
    Participant

I’m totally ok with the players you’ve mentioned the Sixers potentially drafting as I think they could be good fits in the style of play they’re trying to adapt. In regards to the free agent signings I do like Monroe but I think he is more of a complimentary piece. Stephenson, IMO is a good player but not worth over spending for. From reading and listening to Sam Hinkie it sounds like he is more inclined to wait for that superstar player to become available and then make his move. If i’m the Sixers this off-season I look to sign a couple mid tier free agents to go along with MCW, Noel and whoever we end up drafting. In the summer of 2016 Durant is a free agent and you push your chips all in an attempt to get him here.

ThunderHog35
      Participant

LOL @ Durant going to Philly

ThunderHog35
      Participant

LOL @ Durant going to Philly

delco610
    Participant

I’m totally ok with the players you’ve mentioned the Sixers potentially drafting as I think they could be good fits in the style of play they’re trying to adapt. In regards to the free agent signings I do like Monroe but I think he is more of a complimentary piece. Stephenson, IMO is a good player but not worth over spending for. From reading and listening to Sam Hinkie it sounds like he is more inclined to wait for that superstar player to become available and then make his move. If i’m the Sixers this off-season I look to sign a couple mid tier free agents to go along with MCW, Noel and whoever we end up drafting. In the summer of 2016 Durant is a free agent and you push your chips all in an attempt to get him here.

Lotto Stud
    Participant

Hope and a prayer…

Lotto Stud
    Participant

Hope and a prayer…

PhillytheKid

I agree…only I think you have your college players mixed up.

a 6’4” shooting guard is not a game changer.  Even D. Wade can’t carry a team by himself.  None of these guys are close to D. Wade.

You get either Wiggins/Parker, and you get the 2 in the draft.  You’d rather have Lamb or Terrence Ross than Zach Lavine?  Have you seen Zach Lavine shoot?  Most guys in the NBA cannot shoot, and Lavine’s shot is so pretty.  It flows like Steph Curry and Durants.

Gary Harris is just a body in the NBA, nothing special.  Read this post again in 4 years.  There is nothing dynamic to his game, he’ll just a solid body in the NBA, I dont’think any different then Willie Green and less dynamic than Cuttino Mobley.

Adrien Payne is a good player, he’s just a senior with no upside that I think is easily addressable through free agency.  At the 4 via this draft, Vonleh is it.  Your 4 needs to GRAB BOARDS and be able to stick an elbow shot and throw an outlet pass on the money.  

at the 4 its Vonleh, and maybe Jerami Grant if his body develops.  You can try to get Clint Capela.  The European kid is a European 4.  I woudn’t be surprised if the Sixers took him, but he reminds me of Tony Kukoc, too soft, we need a 4 with some meat that can guard the big boys because Noel’s legs are toothpicks.

Remember in the NBA you must have elite athleticism and a high Basketball IQ to win.  Gary Harris and Adrien Payne are just replaceable cogs, not standout players you want coming out of the lottery.   

juves4783
      Participant

clint capela to toni kukoc analogy is probably the worst analogy i’ve read on this site in a long time.  kukoc was an unathletic sf that had stretch pf capabilities.  capela is a super athletic hustle guy with zero perimeter skills.  

juves4783
      Participant

clint capela to toni kukoc analogy is probably the worst analogy i’ve read on this site in a long time.  kukoc was an unathletic sf that had stretch pf capabilities.  capela is a super athletic hustle guy with zero perimeter skills.  

Prime Time
      Participant

While I agree that none of those players are Dwyane Wade, how many players actually can carry a team by themselves?

The top two players in the world are LeBron and Durant, and neither of those guys can make a team a championship team by themselves. It’s why LeBron went to Miami in the first place.

Now, a 6’4" guard can definitely be a game changer. Wade is a game changer every time he’s on the floor. Like I said, I don’t believe any of those players are a game changer, so let’s use another example. How about Bradley Beal, he’s not an all-star(yet?) but he’s also a game changer. Why? Because he has the ability to take over a game offensively if he gets in the zone.

We don’t know how good any of these players will be in the NBA, but to write them off  is crazy. Truthfully, I think a backcourt of MCW and Gary Harris would not only be successful for the 76ers offensively, but they’d cause a lot of teams problems with their defense. 

juves4783
        Participant

i agree.  dude acts like zach lavine is a giant compared to gary harris.  he’s an inch taller and 30 lbs lighter.  harris is put together better and has a lot of bradley beal to him.  lavine is a super athlete and shoots at a good percentage but is a potential pick.  harris can come in and play right away.  at best, maybe he’s bradley beal.  at worst, he’s a cj mccollum.

juves4783
        Participant

i agree.  dude acts like zach lavine is a giant compared to gary harris.  he’s an inch taller and 30 lbs lighter.  harris is put together better and has a lot of bradley beal to him.  lavine is a super athlete and shoots at a good percentage but is a potential pick.  harris can come in and play right away.  at best, maybe he’s bradley beal.  at worst, he’s a cj mccollum.

The Scare Crow Rises
        Participant

Gary Harris could be a real nice shooter/defender next to MCW for years, and he’s ready to step in and contribute, will he struggle? Hell Yes, he’ll be a 20-21 year old learning the ropes of his new job, Harris is a solid guard that can fit in with any combo of players, he’d be great with MCW and Noel and let’s say Parker or Wiggins…the big upcoming free agents are all F’s(Anthony, Monroe, James maybe?, Love and Aldridge maybe?) and they all need floor spacers and defenders, Harris and Payne are great role players IMO, AP is like a poor man’s David West and GH looks like a Beal at best/Mayo at worst type prospect. I love Young and Lavine as SG prospects too, I just think they are risky picks in comparison to Harris, the same can be said of Gordon vs Payne in the mid teens/early 20’s, AG has a higher ceiling and Payne is older and plays below the rim, skill wise though Payne is better than Gordon and half the other Pf’s aside from Randle, Vonleh is younger and has some mystery to his game still, if Payne can defend and rebound at the next level he will be very good, if Vonleh adds to his range and interior defense he will be a stud PF/C as well. Since I’m only working with who I think will be available with the Pelican’s pick I choose Harris, Young and Lavine to pick from. I then posed a hypothetical trade in which we’d move some if not all the 2nd round picks for another F in the 20-25 range to take a guy like Payne or Aaron Gordon if they were still on the board, again Gordon would be a longer term pick, and Payne would probably spot start for the 76ers unless we get lucky and sign Monroe to play next to a healthy Noel

The Scare Crow Rises
        Participant

Gary Harris could be a real nice shooter/defender next to MCW for years, and he’s ready to step in and contribute, will he struggle? Hell Yes, he’ll be a 20-21 year old learning the ropes of his new job, Harris is a solid guard that can fit in with any combo of players, he’d be great with MCW and Noel and let’s say Parker or Wiggins…the big upcoming free agents are all F’s(Anthony, Monroe, James maybe?, Love and Aldridge maybe?) and they all need floor spacers and defenders, Harris and Payne are great role players IMO, AP is like a poor man’s David West and GH looks like a Beal at best/Mayo at worst type prospect. I love Young and Lavine as SG prospects too, I just think they are risky picks in comparison to Harris, the same can be said of Gordon vs Payne in the mid teens/early 20’s, AG has a higher ceiling and Payne is older and plays below the rim, skill wise though Payne is better than Gordon and half the other Pf’s aside from Randle, Vonleh is younger and has some mystery to his game still, if Payne can defend and rebound at the next level he will be very good, if Vonleh adds to his range and interior defense he will be a stud PF/C as well. Since I’m only working with who I think will be available with the Pelican’s pick I choose Harris, Young and Lavine to pick from. I then posed a hypothetical trade in which we’d move some if not all the 2nd round picks for another F in the 20-25 range to take a guy like Payne or Aaron Gordon if they were still on the board, again Gordon would be a longer term pick, and Payne would probably spot start for the 76ers unless we get lucky and sign Monroe to play next to a healthy Noel

Prime Time
      Participant

While I agree that none of those players are Dwyane Wade, how many players actually can carry a team by themselves?

The top two players in the world are LeBron and Durant, and neither of those guys can make a team a championship team by themselves. It’s why LeBron went to Miami in the first place.

Now, a 6’4" guard can definitely be a game changer. Wade is a game changer every time he’s on the floor. Like I said, I don’t believe any of those players are a game changer, so let’s use another example. How about Bradley Beal, he’s not an all-star(yet?) but he’s also a game changer. Why? Because he has the ability to take over a game offensively if he gets in the zone.

We don’t know how good any of these players will be in the NBA, but to write them off  is crazy. Truthfully, I think a backcourt of MCW and Gary Harris would not only be successful for the 76ers offensively, but they’d cause a lot of teams problems with their defense. 

SpartanGlory
      Participant

Pretty horrible assessments of the overall situation and all the draft picks mentioned. Harris is one of the top shooting guards an two way players in the country and he’s just a body in the NBA? You must not watch very much college ball. Payne is going to be a very good player in the NBA, and he’ll be even more valuable with the direction that the league is moving towards which is floor spacing. Vonleh would be a great pick if he fell that far, but that leaves our team EXTREMELY young. Maybe Payne could be a leader on a young team if they went that route. I think that the sixers for sure get another pick in the first round through a trade, and round out their roster. 

As as for free agency, Monroe and Stephenson aren’t really worth it IMO, we should wait and go for a big fish in free agency. 

PhillytheKid

Does nothing for me.  Inconsistent shot.  He’s a good player in college bball, but in the NBA and for the Sixers you are looking for someone Dynamic if he’s there.  That player is Zach Lavine.  I’d take him all day over Gary Harris.  Gary Harris would not be able to stay in front of Zach Lavine.  Zach Lavine gives you a shot at guarding the more athletic guards in the game. 

And yes that 1 inch definitely makes a difference when you take into account his build.  The guy is long and full of fast twitch muscle fibers, he’s explosive.  I guarantee you Lavine’s reach is a few inches longer than Harris.  I gurantee you Lavine is a far better pro than Harris.

I just don’t think Lavine has had the moment to shine.  If I’m the Sixers GM I am drafting on potential.  I don’t need just another serviceable body.  I don’t need an average 2-guard in the NBA.  I need Zach Lavine!

juves4783
          Participant

draftexpress.com says lavine’s wingspan is 6′-6" and gary harris’ is 6′-7".

juves4783
          Participant

draftexpress.com says lavine’s wingspan is 6′-6" and gary harris’ is 6′-7".

PhillytheKid

Does nothing for me.  Inconsistent shot.  He’s a good player in college bball, but in the NBA and for the Sixers you are looking for someone Dynamic if he’s there.  That player is Zach Lavine.  I’d take him all day over Gary Harris.  Gary Harris would not be able to stay in front of Zach Lavine.  Zach Lavine gives you a shot at guarding the more athletic guards in the game. 

And yes that 1 inch definitely makes a difference when you take into account his build.  The guy is long and full of fast twitch muscle fibers, he’s explosive.  I guarantee you Lavine’s reach is a few inches longer than Harris.  I gurantee you Lavine is a far better pro than Harris.

I just don’t think Lavine has had the moment to shine.  If I’m the Sixers GM I am drafting on potential.  I don’t need just another serviceable body.  I don’t need an average 2-guard in the NBA.  I need Zach Lavine!

SpartanGlory
      Participant

Pretty horrible assessments of the overall situation and all the draft picks mentioned. Harris is one of the top shooting guards an two way players in the country and he’s just a body in the NBA? You must not watch very much college ball. Payne is going to be a very good player in the NBA, and he’ll be even more valuable with the direction that the league is moving towards which is floor spacing. Vonleh would be a great pick if he fell that far, but that leaves our team EXTREMELY young. Maybe Payne could be a leader on a young team if they went that route. I think that the sixers for sure get another pick in the first round through a trade, and round out their roster. 

As as for free agency, Monroe and Stephenson aren’t really worth it IMO, we should wait and go for a big fish in free agency. 

Scott42444
      Participant

Jordan wasn’t really 6’6".  He was measured at 6’4.88" at the 1992 Olympics and I think we can agree that he was a game changing SG.  Wade very much WAS a game changing SG.  Yes, Shaq was still Shaq when they won the first Miami title but D. Wade won the Finals MVP for a reason.  He was a Top 5 player for a good portion of his career and saying otherwise is silly.

Scott42444
      Participant

Jordan wasn’t really 6’6".  He was measured at 6’4.88" at the 1992 Olympics and I think we can agree that he was a game changing SG.  Wade very much WAS a game changing SG.  Yes, Shaq was still Shaq when they won the first Miami title but D. Wade won the Finals MVP for a reason.  He was a Top 5 player for a good portion of his career and saying otherwise is silly.

Mopgrass
      Participant

I know Harris isn’t shooting a great percentage, but he has a great looking shot and I think he’ll be a shooter in the NBA. He can do most everything you need. I do, however, agree that he is close to how good he will get. I wouldn’t draft him unless I was an established team who needs someone steady on day 1.

I would draft according to upside and I only expect Harris to be a solid role player.

Overall, shooting guards are underrated in the draft. Guys that I like include Jabari Brown and Markel Brown. Both are underrated (I don’t consider Levine a SG).

Mopgrass
      Participant

I know Harris isn’t shooting a great percentage, but he has a great looking shot and I think he’ll be a shooter in the NBA. He can do most everything you need. I do, however, agree that he is close to how good he will get. I wouldn’t draft him unless I was an established team who needs someone steady on day 1.

I would draft according to upside and I only expect Harris to be a solid role player.

Overall, shooting guards are underrated in the draft. Guys that I like include Jabari Brown and Markel Brown. Both are underrated (I don’t consider Levine a SG).

PhillytheKid

I agree…only I think you have your college players mixed up.

a 6’4” shooting guard is not a game changer.  Even D. Wade can’t carry a team by himself.  None of these guys are close to D. Wade.

You get either Wiggins/Parker, and you get the 2 in the draft.  You’d rather have Lamb or Terrence Ross than Zach Lavine?  Have you seen Zach Lavine shoot?  Most guys in the NBA cannot shoot, and Lavine’s shot is so pretty.  It flows like Steph Curry and Durants.

Gary Harris is just a body in the NBA, nothing special.  Read this post again in 4 years.  There is nothing dynamic to his game, he’ll just a solid body in the NBA, I dont’think any different then Willie Green and less dynamic than Cuttino Mobley.

Adrien Payne is a good player, he’s just a senior with no upside that I think is easily addressable through free agency.  At the 4 via this draft, Vonleh is it.  Your 4 needs to GRAB BOARDS and be able to stick an elbow shot and throw an outlet pass on the money.  

at the 4 its Vonleh, and maybe Jerami Grant if his body develops.  You can try to get Clint Capela.  The European kid is a European 4.  I woudn’t be surprised if the Sixers took him, but he reminds me of Tony Kukoc, too soft, we need a 4 with some meat that can guard the big boys because Noel’s legs are toothpicks.

Remember in the NBA you must have elite athleticism and a high Basketball IQ to win.  Gary Harris and Adrien Payne are just replaceable cogs, not standout players you want coming out of the lottery.   

ibe12
    Participant

I think the Sixers have a chance to move up one or two spots if they package some of their second round picks along with the Pelican pick but I’d only do that if someone like Vonleh or Randle were to fall. Even if they don’t make any trades I think they will be able to get a good player. They got MCW at 11 last year in a much weaker draft.

ibe12
    Participant

I think the Sixers have a chance to move up one or two spots if they package some of their second round picks along with the Pelican pick but I’d only do that if someone like Vonleh or Randle were to fall. Even if they don’t make any trades I think they will be able to get a good player. They got MCW at 11 last year in a much weaker draft.

vulture711
    Participant

I’m hoping they take Shawn Bradley – I heard he was tall.  Wait – maybe send the pick in a package for a Center coming off two knee surgeries.

Actually, now that Hinkie is here, I have less fear of the stupid and absurd from the teams ample history of both

vulture711
    Participant

I’m hoping they take Shawn Bradley – I heard he was tall.  Wait – maybe send the pick in a package for a Center coming off two knee surgeries.

Actually, now that Hinkie is here, I have less fear of the stupid and absurd from the teams ample history of both

The Scare Crow Rises
    Participant

And getting Gary Harris with the Pelicans pick is realistically reasonable. And here you guys on board with trading a bulk of those 2nd rounders for a guy like Payne to pair with Noel and MCW. I also gather that we shouldn’t sign a Born Ready or Greg Monroe this year. I’m a bigger fan of waiting a year and trying to pry away Kevin Love from the Wolves in 15′. Gives our young core more playing experience before we see this team fully complete.

The Scare Crow Rises
    Participant

And getting Gary Harris with the Pelicans pick is realistically reasonable. And here you guys on board with trading a bulk of those 2nd rounders for a guy like Payne to pair with Noel and MCW. I also gather that we shouldn’t sign a Born Ready or Greg Monroe this year. I’m a bigger fan of waiting a year and trying to pry away Kevin Love from the Wolves in 15′. Gives our young core more playing experience before we see this team fully complete.

runBruce
    Participant

There is no way on God’s Green Earth that love comes to Philly via free agency. Period. He just won’t. No reason to even tease yourself. It would be great if he did for us philly fans, but it’s not happening…and Honestly, I think we have to stop thinking about this draft fixing the team. I think we need to start realizing that this is a two year deal. We are going to need another lottery pick next year to right this ship. If we are really lucky, we get wiggins or Embiid, because I don’t see Parker as a Brett Brown guy. He’s not tall enough to be a defensive presence inside and he is not quick enough to be a premeire defender on the perimeter. Brett is all about D. Not to mention the obvious that Parker is a Mormon and may just decide to up and go on a mission, and(no disrespect to mormons but) the sixers have terrible luck with Mormons (see Shawn Bradley). With the pelicans pick, It would be great if we got another wing player(SG) but we might have to settle for bench depth. It is not always feasible to obtain a long term starter with picks 8-12 in the draft.

runBruce
    Participant

There is no way on God’s Green Earth that love comes to Philly via free agency. Period. He just won’t. No reason to even tease yourself. It would be great if he did for us philly fans, but it’s not happening…and Honestly, I think we have to stop thinking about this draft fixing the team. I think we need to start realizing that this is a two year deal. We are going to need another lottery pick next year to right this ship. If we are really lucky, we get wiggins or Embiid, because I don’t see Parker as a Brett Brown guy. He’s not tall enough to be a defensive presence inside and he is not quick enough to be a premeire defender on the perimeter. Brett is all about D. Not to mention the obvious that Parker is a Mormon and may just decide to up and go on a mission, and(no disrespect to mormons but) the sixers have terrible luck with Mormons (see Shawn Bradley). With the pelicans pick, It would be great if we got another wing player(SG) but we might have to settle for bench depth. It is not always feasible to obtain a long term starter with picks 8-12 in the draft.

juves4783
    Participant

starters under contract for next year: mcw, young, noel

bench players under contract: wroten, j-rich, moultrie, mullens 

free agent spending money: $23M

draft picks: 2 lottery, 5 2nd rounders

for the 1st draft pick, i think they go wiggins because he can play sg as well as sf.  parker if they fall to 3rd pick.  for the 2nd draft pick, draft a guy that can step in and play sf/sg right away dependent on if they get wiggins.  harris, mcdermott, hood, lavine, saric, young, stauskas, clarkson are all options.  use 2nd round picks on guys to fill the roster and be role players (hairston, fair, markel brown, prather, kilpatrick) and euros (capela, nurkic, bogdanovic, antetokounmpo) and maybe underclassmen (petteway, walker, carson).  fill in the pf position with monroe for big money or randolph for moderate money or patterson for cheap money.  fill in the rest of the bench with a sg (anthony morrow, jodie meeks, marshon brooks, sefelosha) and frontcourt guy (ed davis, jordan hill, okafor, seraphin, darrel arthur)

so my end roster would look something like this.

starting 5: mcw, wiggins or parker, other pick, free agent, noel

bench: wroten, j-rich, moultrie, mullens, +3 2nd rounders, + 1 free agent sg, +1 free agent pf/c

that would leave 1 open roster spot and 2 guys marinating overseas.  then, they can get the 1st pick in 2015 to go after okafor, turner or alexander.

juves4783
    Participant

starters under contract for next year: mcw, young, noel

bench players under contract: wroten, j-rich, moultrie, mullens 

free agent spending money: $23M

draft picks: 2 lottery, 5 2nd rounders

for the 1st draft pick, i think they go wiggins because he can play sg as well as sf.  parker if they fall to 3rd pick.  for the 2nd draft pick, draft a guy that can step in and play sf/sg right away dependent on if they get wiggins.  harris, mcdermott, hood, lavine, saric, young, stauskas, clarkson are all options.  use 2nd round picks on guys to fill the roster and be role players (hairston, fair, markel brown, prather, kilpatrick) and euros (capela, nurkic, bogdanovic, antetokounmpo) and maybe underclassmen (petteway, walker, carson).  fill in the pf position with monroe for big money or randolph for moderate money or patterson for cheap money.  fill in the rest of the bench with a sg (anthony morrow, jodie meeks, marshon brooks, sefelosha) and frontcourt guy (ed davis, jordan hill, okafor, seraphin, darrel arthur)

so my end roster would look something like this.

starting 5: mcw, wiggins or parker, other pick, free agent, noel

bench: wroten, j-rich, moultrie, mullens, +3 2nd rounders, + 1 free agent sg, +1 free agent pf/c

that would leave 1 open roster spot and 2 guys marinating overseas.  then, they can get the 1st pick in 2015 to go after okafor, turner or alexander.

juves4783
      Participant

just realized i forgot young….

throw him in the mix for 6th man of the year.  

juves4783
      Participant

just realized i forgot young….

throw him in the mix for 6th man of the year.  

Purple-and-gold17
    Participant

Im not sure if anyone has said this but i can see Lakers making a trade with philly for two of their picks if somehow Philly gets screwed in this draft where they fall out of the top three and lakers getting the top 1 or 2 picks.

I think everyone knows that if Dantoni is still the coach of the lakers next season they will get a pg i bet no matter what even  if they get the top pick. 

Purple-and-gold17
    Participant

Im not sure if anyone has said this but i can see Lakers making a trade with philly for two of their picks if somehow Philly gets screwed in this draft where they fall out of the top three and lakers getting the top 1 or 2 picks.

I think everyone knows that if Dantoni is still the coach of the lakers next season they will get a pg i bet no matter what even  if they get the top pick. 

runBruce
      Participant

Huh? I don’t know if anyone has said this yet, but you are out of your mind.

runBruce
      Participant

Huh? I don’t know if anyone has said this yet, but you are out of your mind.

r377r377
    r377
    Participant

I personally dislike what the Sixers have done.  They are going to be too young and not enough vets to help out the young guys both on and off the court.

Iggy left so they could give Evan Turner more time.  Now they get rid of Turner, Hawes and also Holiday.

What message does that send to the young guys coming in ?

r377r377
    r377
    Participant

I personally dislike what the Sixers have done.  They are going to be too young and not enough vets to help out the young guys both on and off the court.

Iggy left so they could give Evan Turner more time.  Now they get rid of Turner, Hawes and also Holiday.

What message does that send to the young guys coming in ?

burgessfour
      Participant

The focus is on 2 years from now. It’s really a numbers game at this point. Pre-draft (without any deals) the sixers will have 8 players under contract totaling about 26 million. Add the 7 draft picks this year and they’re at 15 players but only about 35 million in payroll. That means they’re likely to use, say, 3 of the picks on players not expected to play in the L next year (stash intl. players), or for trading up purposes. Those 3 slots will go to veterans at about 8 million each to get to the payroll “floor”. They will all probably be 1 year deals. Thad will stick around unless they’re blown away by a trade offer. They need his veteran presence, just like they need the 3 vets they’ll sign this summer. Even if they get pick @ 4 I don’t see them trading into the top 3 because it will be too expensive to do so. Maybe someone takes 3 second round picks to move from 3 to 4, but I highly doubt it. They also really don’t want to make the playoffs next year because than they’re first pick goes to the dreaded Celtics. Can’t have that. Don’t expect them to go for any home runs this summer, much more likely in the summer of 2015.

But think about it. If you’re a sixers fan and they draft @ 4 and take Randle, then say one of the SG’s mentioned in this thread with the N.O. pick. Add Noel, MCW and Thad, at least there’s reason to be optimistic. Add another lotto pick in 2015. Or, maybe they actually make progress next year and don’t get to keep their pick. Then they go into free agency in 2015 with an improved team and 30 million+ in cap space, maybe the situation is attractive enough to snag a stud in free agency.

Or maybe I’m drinking the kool aid.

burgessfour
      Participant

The focus is on 2 years from now. It’s really a numbers game at this point. Pre-draft (without any deals) the sixers will have 8 players under contract totaling about 26 million. Add the 7 draft picks this year and they’re at 15 players but only about 35 million in payroll. That means they’re likely to use, say, 3 of the picks on players not expected to play in the L next year (stash intl. players), or for trading up purposes. Those 3 slots will go to veterans at about 8 million each to get to the payroll “floor”. They will all probably be 1 year deals. Thad will stick around unless they’re blown away by a trade offer. They need his veteran presence, just like they need the 3 vets they’ll sign this summer. Even if they get pick @ 4 I don’t see them trading into the top 3 because it will be too expensive to do so. Maybe someone takes 3 second round picks to move from 3 to 4, but I highly doubt it. They also really don’t want to make the playoffs next year because than they’re first pick goes to the dreaded Celtics. Can’t have that. Don’t expect them to go for any home runs this summer, much more likely in the summer of 2015.

But think about it. If you’re a sixers fan and they draft @ 4 and take Randle, then say one of the SG’s mentioned in this thread with the N.O. pick. Add Noel, MCW and Thad, at least there’s reason to be optimistic. Add another lotto pick in 2015. Or, maybe they actually make progress next year and don’t get to keep their pick. Then they go into free agency in 2015 with an improved team and 30 million+ in cap space, maybe the situation is attractive enough to snag a stud in free agency.

Or maybe I’m drinking the kool aid.

Crossyboy
    Participant

This team will still be lottery-bound next year, probably looking at a 6-10 pick, so better to put together, high-ceiling players and give them a year to play together.  2015 will be the draft that gives you that final piece, then hopefully make Philly attractive to a top 10 free agent, so don’t do anything to jeapordise that this year.

The team wants to run and play hard defence, but currently lacks size and shooters.  Going from where Draft Express currently has players & Philly drafting, these would be my picks:

2 – Wiggins – Speed, athleticism, defence & the ability to play either wing position depending on other players.  Seems an ideal fit.

11 – LaVine – Not convinced he’ll pan ou, but would be an excellent fit next to MCW

32 – Another SG to cover the LaVine pick.  PJ Hairston would be a nice fit, though Stauskas is also available.

45 – Swing for the fences.  Chris Walker if he impresses in work-outs, or Bogdanovic to stash if he doesn’t.

56 – Jordan Bachynski – Not much to go for here.  Might as well take a solid guy who offers size and can help protect players like Noel.

PG – MCW / Wroten

SG – LaVine / Hairston

C – Noel / Bachynski

SF – Wiggins

PF – Young / Walker

That team has a scary amount of potential, with another likely lottery pick in 2015 & money to sign at least 1 big FA.  You could be looking at another OKC.  Of course, you could be looking at an early 2000’s Clippers, but it looks to me like a team that can grow together, where players all fit into a similar philosophy and where they complement each other.  However, Noel could be the key.  If he can bulk-up sufficiently to play centre, they’ve got a shot.  If he can’t, they’ve got a massive hole to fill.  Also, hoping that MCW continues to develop (cutting down turnovers, increasing FG%).  He could become a poor-man’s Kidd or Agent Zero (minus the off-court issues), equally, he could become Steve Francis/Tyreke Evans.  Really hoping for the former…

Crossyboy
    Participant

This team will still be lottery-bound next year, probably looking at a 6-10 pick, so better to put together, high-ceiling players and give them a year to play together.  2015 will be the draft that gives you that final piece, then hopefully make Philly attractive to a top 10 free agent, so don’t do anything to jeapordise that this year.

The team wants to run and play hard defence, but currently lacks size and shooters.  Going from where Draft Express currently has players & Philly drafting, these would be my picks:

2 – Wiggins – Speed, athleticism, defence & the ability to play either wing position depending on other players.  Seems an ideal fit.

11 – LaVine – Not convinced he’ll pan ou, but would be an excellent fit next to MCW

32 – Another SG to cover the LaVine pick.  PJ Hairston would be a nice fit, though Stauskas is also available.

45 – Swing for the fences.  Chris Walker if he impresses in work-outs, or Bogdanovic to stash if he doesn’t.

56 – Jordan Bachynski – Not much to go for here.  Might as well take a solid guy who offers size and can help protect players like Noel.

PG – MCW / Wroten

SG – LaVine / Hairston

C – Noel / Bachynski

SF – Wiggins

PF – Young / Walker

That team has a scary amount of potential, with another likely lottery pick in 2015 & money to sign at least 1 big FA.  You could be looking at another OKC.  Of course, you could be looking at an early 2000’s Clippers, but it looks to me like a team that can grow together, where players all fit into a similar philosophy and where they complement each other.  However, Noel could be the key.  If he can bulk-up sufficiently to play centre, they’ve got a shot.  If he can’t, they’ve got a massive hole to fill.  Also, hoping that MCW continues to develop (cutting down turnovers, increasing FG%).  He could become a poor-man’s Kidd or Agent Zero (minus the off-court issues), equally, he could become Steve Francis/Tyreke Evans.  Really hoping for the former…

burgessfour
      Participant

Love the LaVine / Hairston drafting.

Don’t forget, they also get picks 39 & 44 from the Hawes deal.

Maybe with one of them you take Melvin Ejim.

burgessfour
      Participant

Love the LaVine / Hairston drafting.

Don’t forget, they also get picks 39 & 44 from the Hawes deal.

Maybe with one of them you take Melvin Ejim.

CavFanPR
    Participant

The 76ers are looking good for this stacked draft. Some of the premium prospects will probably stay for another year but overall, it’s a solid draft.

First of all, you already found the face of your franchise in Michael Carter-Williams with the 13th pick so consider yourself lucky. He’s the type of guy you build around.

To be honest, you just have to add the best possible talent in the draft and try to move up with the second round picks. You could trade those second rounders for future picks as well.

CavFanPR
    Participant

The 76ers are looking good for this stacked draft. Some of the premium prospects will probably stay for another year but overall, it’s a solid draft.

First of all, you already found the face of your franchise in Michael Carter-Williams with the 13th pick so consider yourself lucky. He’s the type of guy you build around.

To be honest, you just have to add the best possible talent in the draft and try to move up with the second round picks. You could trade those second rounders for future picks as well.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login