Hi there. My Atlanta Hawks should make a 5-year, $100 million offer to Josh Smith or a 3-year, $52 million offer to Al Jefferson. 2-year, $10 million offer to Jarret Jack, 1-year, $3 million offer to Martell Webster, 1-year, $4 million offer to Mike Dunleavy and a 1-year, $3 million offer to Samuel Dalembert. In the draft, we should target Rudy Gobert and Archie Goodwin. We need bench vet depth in the worst way. Also, we might not get J-Smoove or Big Al(they might want to go to a contender). Touch and go right now. You never know what will happen in free agency. I'm comfortable with the offers. Sometimes, you gotta overpay a little to get what you need. The draft is a lot easier way to build. Basically for Atlanta, TAKE A &$#%#&@! AND DIVE IN!!!! Take care. Thanks.
lol I'll tell you what we know.. Josh Smith is not resigning.. take care mark lolll
Awful offseason. Only way I sign Josh Smith is if we got Dwight Howard and CP3 and it obviously wouldn't be a max contract. If not S&T him.
Sign CP3 Dwight Howard
Resign Josh Smith, Kyle Korver and Devin Harris as well as Ivan Johnson/Mike Scott
Draft KCP and Dieng or trade both picks to move into the lottery
PG: Chris Paul / Devin Harris
SG: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope / Lou Williams / John Jenkins
SF: Josh Smith / Kyle Korver
PF: Al Horford / Ivan Johnson / Mike Scott
C: Dwight Howard / Gorgui Dieng
IMO Josh Smith is gone and the Hawks really look to do 2 things:
1. Re-sign Jeff Teague, he is getting better and better.
2. Find a legit starting C to let Horford play PF. (Pekovic, Kaman, Mozgov?)
If they can't sign Chris Paul and Dwight Howard, I think it would be smartest for Hawks to resign only Jeff Teague (for some reasonable price, 6-7 milion) and let other free agents go. They should sacriface next season and wait for 2014 draft.
For next season Hawks have Al Horford, Lou Williams, John Jenkins and DeShawn Stevenson, Mike Scott, Shelvin Mack unguaranteed. They also have four picks this year, 17th, 18th, 47th and 50th. They can draft Rudy Gobert/Steven Adams/Mason Plumlee/Gorgui Dieng, Giannis Adetokoubo/Dario Saric, Kenny Kadji, Ricardo Ledo and sign few guys on one year minimum contracts.
This roster would struggle and wouldn't get the play-off, but they would develop few rookies and would have a chance to draft some really talented player in next year draft, with a little lack maybe even the best ones. Also they would have a lot of cap space in a years to come to pursue some top free agents.
Let's see...Paying Josh Smith 20 million dollars a year, for five years CHECK!...Paying Al Jefferson 17.33 million dollars a year for three year CHECK! Congrats! You are the 2nd worst GM ever! You can blame your dissapointing ranking on KAHN!
Signing Pek to play next to Horford is a good call. That would be a awfully intimidating pair...
after all those years of 1st and 2nd round exits i think its time to rebuild. its time to finish with the josh smith project. he is a good player who does a lot of things well but never developed into the consistent force that shouldve been great.
this offseason id say they gotta do a few things:
1) sign and trade josh smith. he wants max money but hes not gonna take this team over the top so get whatever you can for him. any kinds of picks will help you navigate up and down in this or next years draft.
2) commit to teague, give him a fair deal as hes showed improvement every year and although is not going to be a superstar, has the physical tools to be a starting pg in the nba
3) find a centre to play beside horford so he can play pf. Whether this means signing a vet or drafting someone like robert (or whichever centre is available). although horford may not have great athleticism in terms of speed and hops, he has enough and possesses incredible strength to dominate in the paint.
4) they have 2 1st round picks so id say they should take a risk with one of them. go with a prospect who offers a high ceiling (ex: adams, gobert, giannis, etc). theyre not going to be competing next year anyways so why not take a chance on 1 of the 2.
dont think this team will be a contender next year or two since i cant see paul and howard leaving $30 mill on the table after paul has had issues with his meniscus and howard with his back. therefore take a long term approach. build around horford and teague for now, let them continue to improve as you look to sign or develop a star.
Danny Ferry will NOT sign a bunch of decent-good FA just bc he has all that cap space. He will only use the space if he can bring in both Paul and Howards. If not, no other group of FAs will make Atlanta title contenders. They will be the same team that consistently makes the playoffs and are out within the first two rounds. This was ok years ok, bc the Hawks sucked for too long. Making the playoffs was a great a spark and the owners profited off that. Now, making the playoffs doesn't mean much and "we want more, we want more". Ferry is a smart GM and he will build this team the right way. As far as FAs, again he will target BOTH Paul and Howard. Only one will not help nor would just one of those come unless the other agrees to come as well. Ferry has the owners backing and is free to take a step back in terms of building correctly.
Keep this in mind, Ferry is coming from San Antonio and Cleveland. He knows the value of having a true franchise player. With potential franchise players in 2014 draft, this is something he is looking towards.
1. For this draft, I would love for them to get a center. For weeks, I have been hoping that they could get Adetokoubo and Gobert with their two 1st rounders, but Im afraid both of their stocks has risen too much. I wouldn't mind packaging either pick and Lou Williams to be able to move up to grab Len or Gobert.
2. Smith is gone! Both he and the team wants to part ways. Atl would do a sign-n-trade (for young players and/or picks) and this may happen. Not many teams with cap space that Smith would be interested in. I can see Lakers pursuing him again in 3 team trade with Gasol going somewhere else and Atl getting young players and picks.
3. Resign Teague. Teague has shown flashes of being a very good player this year, when he was more aggressive and not deferring to Josh Smith. Ill like to see a full season of Teague, minus Smith, to see what he can do. Hopefully we can keep him on a one year tender or match a very friendly deal.
4. I might be one of a few on here, but I still like Tyreke Evans potential. If we can get him on a good deal, hoping Sac-town doesn't matches, Ill personally take a stab at him. I think he and Teague compliments each other very very well. Teague s very good shooter, Evans can set up teammates, while both are exceptionally good slashers. Both very good on the defensive end as well.
Resign Smoove to a max? Man fellow Hawks fans would hate you. That would be Joe Johnson all over again.
If the hawks can sign Howard, would him and Horford clash like Howard and Gasol did in LA? Horford does work in the low post and has some range, just like Pau, but he doesn't have the passing ability. So would we see the same problem that we saw in la with the lane clogging up and not enough spacing for Howard?
I highly doubt CP3 and Dwight will come to Atlanta. Both are attention seekers who love the big city and all the attention and media that come with it (more so Dwight than Chris Paul)
I like the Pekovic idea with Horford at PF. Teague is proving himself. Lou Will, Devin Harris and John Jenkins. They might try and sign iggy or corey brewer at the 3 spot.
I think this years draft they will take Gobert or Withey with one of their picks. Having a vet like Zaza to help them is a good idea.
They might even do something with the Suns with Gortart and possibly Beasley or Wes Johnson (before we all jump up and down remember this was team that started Marvin Williams for yrs)
PHX is definitely a trade partner Hawks can pursue if all else fails. Gortat will pair well with Horford and they can probably grab a 3 from them, ie Dudley.
I live in Atlanta, Hawks my 2nd team. Josh Smith is not re-signing in Atlanta. We don't need to draft Archie, We drafted Jenkins last year and he barely played. The Hawks will suck next year and hopefully we can get a good lottery pick.
Hi there. You all gotta consider the salary cap, too. Dwight Howard is a nice idea. So is Big Al and I agree the vibe I get is J-Smoove is moving on. Also agree that Jenkins is solid as a backup 2. CP3 would be nice, but matching any offer for Teague makes sense, too. Bottom line:Danny Ferry should be aggressive in free agency, but it looks more than likely that all the big name free agents are going elsewhere. I was taught to never quit in life, though, and you gotta explore all options. Especially if you have Atlanta's cap room. Free agents, unfortunately, tend to gravitate to existing contenders, not potential ones. My two cents. Take care. Thanks.