My 2013 NBA Mock Draft with comments.

Pistol Pete. Th...
My 2013 NBA Mock Draft with comments.

I did comments for every 1st round pick, if you enjoyed it, I will go back and do comments for the 2nd round picks as well and explain why I put each player where. I can do every 2nd round pick or just the ones you guys want. Tell me if you like it. what you disagree with. If you disliked my comments.

I enjoy feedback and we all want to see really good mock drafts. I'm willing to change picks if i'm convinced another way.
SO here it is..

http://nbadraft.net/nba_mock_drafts/comments/20289

kazam
kazam's picture
Pistol Pete, I like the mock

Pistol Pete,

I like the mock man. Only thing I will say is that if history shows anything its that Joe D in Detroit has been fascinated by the combo guard. With that said I wouldnt be surprised to see them take a guy like cj mccollum. If that were to happen maybe MCW falls all the way to OKC? With Minnesota reaching for Caldwell-Pope

Pistol Pete. Th...
You're right, but you here

You're right, but you here the rumblings of Joe D, may be reaching the end of his time in Detroit. Also Phil Jackson is advising Joe D, in the coaching search, maybe he will have some draft tidbits as well. But if Detroit doesn't draft him, I think he falls to Dallas or Milwaukee. I think OKC would pass him up. They could get a another player later in the draft and a big is the number 1 priority.

TFC
TFC's picture
Looks like a good mock to

Looks like a good mock to me.

Not sure about Alex Len for NO, they already have a nice rotation with Davis-Lopez-Anderson and not much playing time to develop another young big.

I think the Pelicans should be looking for a PG like Burke or MCW (I really like both), McCollum also makes sense if they want to trade Eric Gordon.

Pistol Pete. Th...
Supposedly Ryan Anderson will

Supposedly Ryan Anderson will be getting more minutes at the 3 next year, but I would be all for drafting a point guard over Len, He scares me. He has potential but that doesn't mean he will fill it. I think he should have dominated more at Maryland, but we're looking for big man and help, and we won't be making any guard moves until we figure out the Gordon situation, so I was kind of forced to put Len there. The Eric Gordon situation is holding up the franchise, even though we're going to move him, I just don't think it will be before the draft. As long as he's on the roster, he's a starter.

FutureNBAGM
I think Olynyk at #21 is a

I think Olynyk at #21 is a little too low

Pistol Pete. Th...
Do you think he should be

Do you think he should be wear Adams, Dieng or Plumlee is? the only reason I dropped him so low, is I don't think he is the type of player the Hawks or Thunder would draft, and Steven Adams is moving up the draft boards every day. Olynyk has no athleticism, extremely short arms, he's an okay rebounder, not a shot blocker. He does have a good jumper, some okay moves and some good handles at the Forward/Center position. Also besides John Stockton Gonzaga players aren't really great NBA players. I'm not as high on Olynyk as everyone else is. He won't be able to get his shot off unless open in the pros, he'll be an okay passer, provide nothing on defense, no athleticism.

So why should he be drafted so high? I've seen him go as high as Sacramento. An you're probably right someone will draft him higher, but that doesn't mean he should be.

FutureNBAGM
I think Olynyk could go as

I think Olynyk could go as high as #11 to Philly. OKC sounds like a fit too. Ive seen Adams goin lottery in many mocks recently but just my opinion I dont think he'll go that high

Pistol Pete. Th...
Like I said i've seen Olynyk

Like I said i've seen Olynyk going higher than that, I just don't think OKC would want someone that can't rebound or play defense, they'll be fine on offense once Westbrook gets back.

Philly is possible!

Adams is really moving, people like Olynyk's game but you know how draft time is, one good workout and a player can move up to 4.(Dion Waiters) Anything can happen. People loved when they saw he could shoot and dribble at the combine, with his size and athleticism, we also have to remember before the year, everyone had him in the top 10.

drk3351
drk3351's picture
Allen Crabbe at 45? guys fall

Allen Crabbe at 45? guys fall in the draft but 0 chance Crabbe goes 45

Pistol Pete. Th...
You're right that he's too

You're right that he's too low but I do think there is a chance he falls that far.

Sewok15
Sewok15's picture
Your mock draft itself looks

Your mock draft itself looks pretty solid....but you lost me when you said MCW is the best PG in the draft...I would take Burke, McCollum, Schroeder and Shane Larkin over him in a heartbeat. He put up great numbers against the crappy preseason competition that Syracuse always seems to play. He had 15 points and 16 assists in a 50 point beatdown of Monmouth. He had 18 and 14 in a 34 point blowout against Central Connecticut State.

He had 12 double digit assist games last year. They were against Wagner, Colgate, Long Beach State, Eastern Michigan, Monmouth, Canisus, Detroit, Central Conn State, Rutgers, Providence and Seton Hall...not exactly the best competition around.

His shooting percentage also dropped dramatically once he played better competition. In two games I watched him against two local Philly schools in Temple and Nova he shot 3-17 and 4-17 respectively in two losses. He had another game against USF where he shot 1-13. He shot 39 % from the field for the year. He shot 3 threes a game and only hit 29%. He averaged 3.4 turnovers per game as well which leads all players likely to be drafted other than Phil Pressey. He did score 24 against Indiana in the tourney but he took 19 shots that game and only had one assist.

In other words If my teams drafts MCW to be their point guard I would be terrified.

Pistol Pete. Th...
Every scout says MCW's

Every scout says MCW's problem is his shooting, and how his numbers fell during Big East play, but in workouts recently, scouts have seen the problem isn't his form(he's been shooting well in workouts, not CJ McCollum well but over 50% in all areas the highest being 65% from college 3) it's his confidence. Every scout agrees he's the best pure passing point guard in the draft, every scout agrees he's a great 6'6" athlete at the one. Scouts also view him as having the most defensive potential. Unless you count Archie Goodwin as a point guard.

So from a potential standpoint I still think he's the best point guard in the draft, that's why I said under Burke's pick that Burke is the more sure thing. Because players don't always reach their potential, but all of MCW'S weaknesses can be fixed. So I still will say from a potential standpoint he's better than Burke, he's a jump shot away. His jump shot improving will open up his already great passing even more. Also most of his turnovers in college were win Syracuse's plays broke down and he tried to be superman and make things happen. Won't have to do that as much in the league.

Sewok15
Sewok15's picture
No doubt he is a very good

No doubt he is a very good athlete with great size for a point guard. When it comes to measurables MCW clearly has the best potential of the point guard prospects. I don't doubt his defensive abilities at all but I don't see him being able to score consistently in the NBA. I could shoot great in practice too but if you can't do it in the game it is irrelevant. I am also concerned about his ability to get all the way to the basket and finish. He is a good passer and defender but to be a great NBA point guard you have to score. From what I have seen I just worry that he will never really develop enough offensively to be a good starting point guard.

Despite being the same age Burke is light years ahead of MCW when it comes to confidence and offensive polish. That is why I see him as the top PG for sure. He was incredibly clutch and tough in the NCAA tourney and those are two things I really want in my young point guard. I haven't seen anything from MCW that impresses me besides his potential...and potential just means you didn't really do anything yet.

Pistol Pete. Th...
I totally agree with

I totally agree with everything you just said, that's why Burke is 2 in the draft and MCW is 8 and he may move down when I do my final. Like I said in the comment, Burke is the sure thing, but MCW could be better and has the potential to be. I don't think Burke will ever hurt your team, but I also don't think he will ever be a star. Somewhere in between Jameer Nelson and Tony Parker, he's a fringe all-star but not leading any team to the finals or even the playoffs as the main guy.

MCW is kind of like Jason Kidd in the 90s. I'm not saying he's as good, just saying the way he impacts the game.

Jason Kidd at 21 in 34 minutes a game averaged. 12 points, 2 steals, 8 assists, 5 rebounds while shooting 39% from the field, 27% from three, and 70% from the line. Now I'm not saying MCW will have that kind of impact but if he gets 25 minutes a game, he'll get 7 points, 5 assists, 4 rebounds, .1.5 steals while shooting almost the same percentages. MCW could become that type of all around player, like a Jason Kidd with some work and I think one day he will be better than Burke.

But I agree with your assessment about the two of them at the moment. You can't argue with facts.

cuseflynn10
cuseflynn10's picture
New Orleans

Since your a New Orleans fan, I'd like to hear your thoughts on who you think they should take. I know you said you like Len, Bennett, and MCW, but what if any of Burke, Porter, or Oladipo fall? Would that change your preference? Especially for Burke, since a handful of people think Burke could either go #2 or #6.

Pistol Pete. Th...
If anyone of those players

If anyone of those players fall, it would change everything. I'm personally not as high on Burke as everyone else is. I think he'll be a solid pro, but I just don't see a franchise player. New Orleans fans will look at him as being the next Chris Paul and that will do him and the city a disservice because he just isn't. I also think it's redundant because I don't think he and Rivers will be able to play together. I don't believe in drafting the same position like that 2 years in a row. I don't think that gives give enough time for your players to work out, unless this was really a CP3 type player coming out.

Oladipo and Porter if either falls.... SNAP EM UP!! We lost Aminu and most believe Porter is an upgrade anyway. I like Aminu on the defensive end still, but his offense never came around, if we didn't have Anderson he could be used as a back up 4. Oladipo, wow, I didn't believe at first but Im falling in love with this guys game. Like I said I don't think he'll be D-Wade, but I think he's one of those infectious players that will make everyone around him work harder in practice and on the court. Also like I said I think he can be a rich man's Tony Allen.

Guards we're really stuck until we trade Gordon and figure out if we're going to give Grevis the extension or let him go or trade him. But Oladipo can fit no matter what. he's one of the only players in this draft that can fit with any team, no matter who's there. I would like a back court of MCW and Rivers for the potential and versatility it would bring us on offense and defense but if we got Oladipo and Rivers I'd love it.

I know everyone thought Rivers was overrated last year, and he definitely didn't do anything to disprove them last year, but after January it was a small sample but he was really turning things around. Besides with his father being able to have time to give him a little more advice, and him being a player that doesn't mind watching tape or working, I think he will be much better next year, and we just can't give up on a top 10 pick. Most of the year he was played out of place. Let him have the ball and see what he can do. If he comes back as just a 75% free throw shooter, he'll average about 5 more points. Right now he's an inefficient scorer but I can name tons of inefficient scoring point guards. He needs a jumper to compliment his great driving ability. Something people don't realize is he got to the basket at a great rate last year, just couldn't finish, he didn't know how to attack the 2nd line of the defense after he passed the free throw line, he has an ugly floater, but he needs a Westbrook/Curry mid range jumper. His great ball handling ability doesn't help when he passes the first man.

But back to the topic. If any one those player fall i'd draft them, because it's an improvement over what we have, and i'm not fully sold on Len, but there's a lot of talk here about him, and Eric Gordon is holding us up on the guard front right now, but he will be gone by the trade deadline if we can get someone to take him.

reed4185
bucks

im a bucks fan and this would be great for them to get those two players but i hope KCP falls to 15

hylandpt
hylandpt's picture
Knicks definitely take

Knicks definitely take Larkins over Myck

Grobert is too low.

JoeWolf1
JoeWolf1's picture
Pistol, I really enjoy

Pistol, I really enjoy reading your posts and I think you have a good mock going. An area where I disagree is Myck Kabongo being ranked ahead of much better PG options. I understand the strategy behind you're projected pick, but I think that's a huge reach for Kabongo who was one of the worse shooting players in the combine, and even from a defensive standpoint, he's got the length, but his athletic ability is only above average and despite potential, there are a lot of holes in his game.

Isaiah Canaan is a good defender too, but he brings you a more complete player, a player that can play right away ( The Knicks have the oldest core out of all the playoff teams, and waiting for Kabongo to develop may result in key players dropping off production wise ). Canaan average 1.6 steals per game while bearing the majority of his teams offensive load and has a strong body a 6'5'' wingspan and great open court speed.

I just feel Canaan would give New York a defender, but also a more NBA ready guy and someone who can hit an open jumper without taking as big of a risk or quite frankly passing over 3 or 4 better point guards in favor of a team need.

Pistol Pete. Th...
That was one of the harder

That was one of the harder things to project, I had like 4-5 different point guards there, and I totally agree with you. I chose Kabongo for thinking of the future and team need but Canaan and a few other players are better players and projections at the moment. I l was also thinking about Canaan measuring smaller than everyone though, and playing for Murray State, so I'll have to put a lot of thought into that pick in the coming weeks. Thanks for the comment.

The UnderKanter
Dieng too high, and Jazz aren't picking Schroeder

No way Dieng goes in the lottery. He is the next Kendrick Perkins, but that doesn't mean he's going to OKC. No, he won't be available for them at 29, but that doesn't mean they should pick him 12th. He doesn't deserve to go in the lottery, there are better talents to be had.

Adams will definitely be in the lottery but I don't think he's going to the Sixers. They have Bynum and Hawes. That's a good big man rotation. True, Bynum gets hurt a lot, but Hawes isn't a bad starter either. Besides, the Sixers didn't trade for Bynum, just to have him leave again. The fans were happy when they traded Iggy for him. They may not seem to happy now, but they are just impatient because they want to see results, and right now they are the losers of the Dwight trade. They will see results, they just have to be patient, and if they are, it will pay off, big time. They just need a PF to fill Brand's shoes. I see them more selecting Zeller, who I think in the end will turn out to be more of 4 instead of a 5. Adams should go to the Thunder, because they have the ability to develop him behind Perkins and Ibaka. You may think that a development big isn't the way to go because of what happened to Aldrich, but I'll tell you why he is. 1, he is better than Aldrich already, and two Aldrich was drafted into a bad situation. They wanted him to start right away, because that's all they needed. Krstic was there Center at the time, and they did not like starting him, so drafted Aldrich with the intent on starting him if he worked out. He didn't so they traded him. Now they have Perkins and Ibaka who can start, while Adams develops. They have the ability to develop him, before they didn't, but now they do, so they need to take advantage of the big man that is available.

I know many of you think the Jazz promised Schroeder at the combine, but I don't believe they did. And here's why. One: The Jazz don't make draft promises, and if they did, they wouldn't let it leak out into the public. They like to be secret with who they are going to pick, so they can be sure he's available at their pick. Two: He doesn't have the attitude the Jazz are looking for. They always look for players that not only want to stay but have an even keel, humility attitude. Why do you think they picked Hayward above George? It wasn't because they thought Hayward would be the better player long term. Schroeder doesn't have that. He is kind of a brat. This site had a link about him from one of his old teammates. I didn't read it all, but I do it remember it saying that he has a lot of pride in him, and he think he's the best. Well, that's great, but he puts that attitude not only on himself but also his teammates. In a way, he's kind of like Mario Henzonja or Shabazz, in terms of attitude. And that kind of attitude is not for the Jazz. I'm almost sure the Jazz will pick Olynyk and Larkin or Wolters with their two 1st round picks. All three of those players seem like the right kind of players for the Jazz. Larkin may not seem like the kind of PG that can start and be good, but that won't matter. The Jazz have the cap room this offseason to sign a young PG. (Teague, Collison, Jennings, or Bledsoe come to mind)

RSS: Syndicate content