Mr.6000's Countdown to The Draft: 60 Prospects in 30 Days (24 & 23)

JNixon
JNixon's picture
Mr.6000's Countdown to The Draft: 60 Prospects in 30 Days (24 & 23)

24: Armon Johnson, 6'3 195, PG/SG, Univ.of Nevada-Reno

Johnson is a physically gifted PG. His frame is very similar to that of Stephon Marbury, to give you an image. He's got good height, strength, a 6'8 wingspan, and he's a very good athlete. Safe to say, you can't make any arguments about his physical tools. He's not exactly a natural playmaker, but he's decent enough to play the PG position for good minutes at a time. He has decent floor vision, and he can make some nice passes from time to time, but he also will go into tunnel vision and look for his own shots, while stopping offensive flow. He can finish very well at the rim when he decides to go all the way to the rim, as he has the handle and physical ability to get to the basket, but too often he'll pull up for jump shots, when that's not his strength. Shooting is his biggest weakness. He has a lefty shooting stroke and can make some shots when spotting up and sometimes even off the dribble, but he lacks range and he has inconsistent form, as most lefty's do. His shot changes after every shot he takes. On D, he's a monster. He was one of the very best defenders I remember on the perimeter. He'll rarely give up dribble penetration, he gets through screens, and he put pressure on the ball and turns his man at least 3 times when they bring the ball up court. This is where he has the most potential. If I had to make a comparison, Armon Johnson is very similar to Marcus Banks. Both are physical marvels who aren't true PG's, defend well, and are not quite efficient scorers.

23: Daniel Orton: 6'10 270, C/PF, Kentucky

Here goes nothing.....Daniel Orton is statistically the worst player in this draft by a wide margin. Just thought I'd air that out. Physically, he is impressive. He's about 6'10", has a 7'4 wingspan, has a good frame and already has good strength. Does need to lose some body fat though, as he has nearly 14% of that. Athletically, he's decent. Pretty good leaper for his size, and has decent feet down low as well. On offense, Orton looks bad down low in limited action. He, at times, played nervous (which is kinda unacceptable for an NBA prospect), and pretty much looked robotic in his moves down low the vast majority of the time. He did make a few nice moves down low every now and then, but he doesn't appear to be any more than a 5th option in the NBA. Orton did show the ability to establish position on his guy routinely throughout the season, because of how wide he is, so maybe there is hope he can at least be serviceable if he gets fluid in his moves. Rebounding and D are the 2 things Orton does best. Even though he's not the scrappy player he should've been, as he should've been trying to prove he should play more minutes, his length and frame make him a decent rebounder. He probably will need to show more activity level to reach his potential as a rebounder though, because everybody in the League is big. Defensively, Orton is a bull. He's not likely to be backed down at any level, and he contests or blocks everything thrown up around him. In a game against Tennessee, Wayne Chism tried to lay the ball up around him. And Orton grabbed the ball out of mid-air instead of simply blocking it. That showed the type of intimidator he can be on this end to me. Orton has the physical tools to be an NBA player, but he's likely to be a defensive role-player IMO. He's along that Kwame Brown (with less expectations) or Erick Dampier line it seems, but whoever picks him shouldn't expect a big-time NBA C who creates their own shots or provide much offense. I would've liked to see him return for his Soph. season....

whyyouhating
good assessment

I think Armon Johnson could develop into a marginal starter in the NBA because of his size and athleticism.
I think like the Banks comparison because I have played against him and he is 5'11" at best.

I can see Orton having a Dampier like career. He will be a defender and rebounder. the only thing that makes
him attractive is the lack of centers in the NBA.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
Johnson good be a starter on

Johnson good be a starter on an uptempo team defintitely, but he's not really polished or good enough at anything offensively to run the show for a good NBA team. For a team like Toronto, Miami or Sacremento he'd be a decent fit if he wanted to be giving extended PT.

rtbt
Mr.6000 on Orton

Mr.6000 said, "I would've liked to see him return for his Soph. season."

You know what Mr.6000, just like BJ Mulllens last season, I think Orton made a huge mistake.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
Is it just a BIZARRE

Is it just a BIZARRE coincidence that Mullens and Orton are like the same player, except that Mullens is 2 inches taller? lol....Yea, he's about to realize that he could've used a 2nd or even 3rd year of college to reach his true potential, instad of being in the D-League or being nailed to the bench.

kobyz
kobyz's picture
Daniel Orton = Etan Thomas

Daniel Orton = Etan Thomas

JNixon
JNixon's picture
"Daniel Orton = Etan

"Daniel Orton = Etan Thomas"

Heyyyyy, that's a good call. I like that comparison alot too.

McWinning
Daniel Orton=Sean Williams

Daniel Orton=Sean Williams

JNixon
JNixon's picture
Ehh...Not that level a

Ehh...Not that level a shot-blocker or athlete. Also alot better as a man-to-man post defender than Williams was due to having more strength and girth.

Mr.Knick 32
Mr.Knick 32's picture
I dunno. I disagree about

I dunno. I disagree about Orton.

I feel had he went to a school who needed a big man to start ( Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, etc) We would be talking Orton in the lotto then Orton comparable to Brown.

knicksfan7
Knicksboy32, I agree with you

Knicksboy32,

I agree with you on Orton that had he gone to a school that fit his style of play more we would be talking about him in a different light. Though, he knew from May 2009 that Calipari was going to be the head coach at Kentucky and ran the dribble drive offense, he had 7 months to train himself to be in the best shape of his life as well as be able to play in it. I don't question his game as much as others, rather his ability to adjust because if you can't adjust well in the NBA you will be out of the league quickly.

Windy City Assassin
I see Orton maybe going to

I see Orton maybe going to Houston.

Mr.Knick 32
Mr.Knick 32's picture
I agree up until the out of

I agree up until the out of the league quickly part because

He will be 19 in his 1st season, 23 at his second and 27-28 for his 3rd.

It's tough giving up on a big man who will 27-28 years old with 3 contracts down. If he shows stides, that may keep in the NBA even if he never hits that potential superstar wall.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
Even if he played more he's

Even if he played more he's still not very talented down low, and he doesn't project favorably as an weapon in the NBA. The only way I'd think of him in a different light is if I felt he had a chance to succeed in a bigger role. I'm sure he could've gotten more numbers, he's better than the numbers he put up obviously, but I don't think he would've proven to be a 1-and-done prospect with more time. I don't see that kind of ability in him. Maybe had he returned as a Sophomore, or went to another and showed better skills I would've seen more potential.

And why did he even go to Kentucky? He had to know he would've gotten limited PT behind Patterson and Cousins. He seemed to care about his PT throughout the season and he didn't really like how he was used, so it made no sense to even go to Kentucky.

knicksfan7
I don't see Orton ever being

I don't see Orton ever being a superstar because college basketball is the final time you will actually learn how to play basketball. Once you play on the professional level it is about production exclusively. A best case scenario for Orton would be averaging near a double-double and 2 blocks, but I don't see that happening. He may be in the nba for close to 10 years because of his age, but it won't mean he will necessarily be playing a role. Rather as a emergency reserve.

Mr.Knick 32
Mr.Knick 32's picture
Orton went to Kentucky

Orton went to Kentucky because it was late in the signing period and the school he had on his original list didn't have to many scholarships I believe.

Orton is average down low. I think we all don't know. I used synergy and actually got to see all his offensive and defensive plays in a short film ( sadly, it's about 10-15 min).

Also, let's not forget- Orton got hurt his Sr. year of HS if I'm correct. It was a knee injury and it usually takes a couple years to full recover.

Mr.Knick 32
Mr.Knick 32's picture
Come to think about it,

Come to think about it, Couldn't Orton be a better Kendrick Perkins?

Mr.Knick 32
Mr.Knick 32's picture
Come to think about it,

Come to think about it, Couldn't Orton be a better Kendrick Perkins?

McWinning
What does he do better than

What does he do better than Perkins? right now hes worse than Kendrick Perkins at everything, thats his upside i think.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
If I were him, I would've

If I were him, I would've asked Coach Cal to tell me how much PT I could realistically gotten behind Cousins and Patterson (which if he was honest, he would've said not much.....but I doubt Calipari would be honest). Cousins committed to Kentucky a while before the late signing period, so he should've decommitted and went to somewhere else. I'm thinking like this because Orton obviously had intentions to go to the NBA while he was in college.

I think he's healed by now from that ACL injury. He played last season and missed no time because of a knee. I think he's healthy and non-tentative on that knee, so that's not a legit reason for his shaky season. I'd be surprised if he was a better pro than Erick Dampier honestly. He's not a very good offensive player at all.

Mr.Knick 32
Mr.Knick 32's picture
Uhh... I said be which means

Uhh... I said be which means future tense.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
Yea, he's not better than

Yea, he's not better than Perkins at anything. Other than being a slightly better athlete. Perkins is more scrappy and energetic than Orton too

I think Erick Dampier is his upside. They are very similar and have similar tendencies.

RSS: Syndicate content