Mr 6000's Countdown to the Draft: 60 Prospects in 30 Days (58&57)

JNixon
JNixon's picture
Mr 6000's Countdown to the Draft: 60 Prospects in 30 Days (58&57)

Alright after covering the # 60 & 59 prospects yesterday, I'm doing the 58 & 57 prospects today. Lets GO!

# 58: Denis Clemente, 6'0 175, PG/SG, Kansas State University

Wow. As a Kansas State fan, it's good to see sites put him in their mocks and talk about him and give him the attention he deserves. It's impossible to talk about "Caliente" Clemente without discussing his most amazing weapon: his freakish speed and quickness. He was possibly the fastest player in the nation with the ball in his hands last season, with John Wall and Ish Smith in discussion. That speed was at times his downfall, and led him to force drives, and try to get out in transition at inopportune times. He was surprisingly under control though for the most part when dictating tempo, and only averaged 1 TO for every 2 assists he made. He has a great floater/runner in his arsenal, is extremely crafty, and can get very hot shooting the ball at times, as his 44 point game against Texas 2 years back shows. He is rather inefficient though scoring (40% from the field), and took about seven 3-pointers a game, at only 34% last season. He also isn't a very pure PG, even though he will through a creative pass every once in a while. Defensively, he competes, but he'll be too small to not be a liability in the NBA. At best, Clemente is a DJ Augustin type player but at worst he is a smaller Carlos Arroyo.

# 57: Latavious Williams, 6'8" 195,PF/SF, Tulsa 66er's (D-League)

An interesting road taken by Latavious Williams saw him skip attending Baylor and go to the D-League out of HS. He is physically gifted, and a very good athlete 1st and foremost. I've seen him play 3 times in the D-League and another time in HS at Run-N-Shoot here in Atlanta. He is a high-wired athlete and he's long too. Looks impressive in person. Offensively, he's going to probably be a 4th or 5th option who scores in transition, off the offensive glass and straight line slashes to the rim. He's not a very good ball-handler or shooter, and he can be played off of. He does rebound well and he is pretty quick as a tweener forward. Defensively is what his value is going to came from. He has lockdown potential, and he even competes which is great. He's very similar to a guy like Corey Brewer (the rookie version) in the NBA in terms of how he looks right now. A team will take him because of all the upside he has and because of his physical gifts. He could be a nice pickup for a contender to stash for a year or 2, because he needs more time to get better.

JoeWolf1
JoeWolf1's picture
Great post Iggy, you know I'm

Great post Iggy, you know I'm a KU fan so I've seen a lot of Clemete over the years. I think he could fill a Janerrio Pargo role off the bench for someone because he can put up points in a hurry. I was disappointed with his performance at the Portsmouth, but I think he could sneak in the end of the draft if he plays well in early June because his speed is pretty amazing and an asset if he can refine it and market it to an NBA squad.

I haven't seen much of Latavious Williams, but from what I have he reminds me a lot of Amir Johnson at that same age. It took Johnson a while to find the right spot and mature, but he had an improved season in Toronto, and I think Latavious could actually be a guy who sneaks into the mid second because of his youth and athleticism.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
Yea Clemente probably will

Yea Clemente probably will have to enjoy an instant offense role.

Latavious Williams does have a comparable style to Amir Johnson. They actually pretty much play the same style, especially since he's been in the D-League, where he's played down low alot more. Good call on that.

Providencefriars15
Its weird that the three most

Its weird that the three most popular sites differ so much on fringe draft picks like how on either ESPN or draft express they said clemente was a long shot to get drafted and i have seen him on a ton of mocks on this site. I personally didnt see the long shot mentality, i mean i could see him become undrafted but i wouldnt be shocked if he was picked. On my mock he is one of my "first five out". He certaintly can score the ball ill give him that.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
Yea they did. This site has

Yea they did. This site has him in the mock, DraftExpress talked about him in depth on a podcast shortly after Portsmouth. I don't get on ESPN though, they have too much insider stuff for me. And that costs. :/

RSS: Syndicate content