The Most Overrated Player In This NBA Draft 2013 Class Is........

princejames
princejames's picture
The Most Overrated Player In This NBA Draft 2013 Class Is........

Ben Mclemore

I'm still not very impressed with the overall skill level of Ben Mclemore - Why?
1. He really is just a good spot-up shooter who can use his athleticism to be a dynamic finisher in the open court with-in fastbreak offensive opportunities
2. His ability to create space on the perimeter with his offensive footwork ( jabsteps, pumpfakes, stepbacks, 1 to 2 dribble pull-up jumpshot, stepfakes, etc ) is just average
3. His shot creating instincts off the dribble is average
4.His ability to create offense for himself against tough defense is just average
5. If he is not making his jumpshot, he starts to become a average and inefficient scorer who really doesn't have the all-around offensive skill set that will help him score in a variety of ways
6. At times he struggles finishing around the rim against size, length, contact, and athleticism
7. He doesn't operate efficiently in traffic as a scorer, ball-handler, or finisher
8. To me he will be a solid pro who impacts the game with his spot-up shooting skills, dynamic athleticism in the open court, and solid defensive skills

NBA Comparison: Courtney Lee / Daequan Cook

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp_4bTds8wY

rabidsnowman
I tend to agree, but

McLemore is a very solid player, a safe bet, with upside, in a quite weak draft. People haven't seen much of him until the tournament, and now that he's having a cold streak, everybody wants to jump to conclustions and call him overrated.

Your Courtney Lee comparison is spot on. I see this as his floor. His ceiling is Michael Redd or Ray Allen. However, many of the top players (Shabazz, Noel, Porter, Smart, McCollum) are real gambles, and of the guys who are "safe" picks (Bennett, Zeller, Len, McLemore) Ben McLemore stands out far above the rest, both in floor and ceiling.

(To explain my logic on the "gambles" and to avoid drama: Noel is a gamble due to a torn ACL in each knee. Shabazz, Porter, Smart each are guys who disappear in games from time to time. McCollum is a mid major kid and that's always a roll of the dice. Sometimes you get Damian Lillard. Usually you dont.)

princejames
princejames's picture
I'm not an hater of his talent and potential, I'm just being....

I'm not an hater of his talent and potential, I'm just being realistic when it comes to judging what kind of player he can develop into. In my opinion Ben has some substantial and glaring weaknesses in his game. And I've been telling people that he is an overrated prospect for the last 4 months ( example: http://www.nbadraft.net/forum/sorry-guys-im-not-sold-ben-mclemore-elite-... ).

As of right now he doesn't possess the elite skill level you look for in a high level NBA shooting guard prospect. He has the potential to be a very impactful player as a shooter, dynamic athlete, and dynamic defender. But to choose him with the number 1 pick in the NBA Draft, will create expectations that will likely doom him to be a big-time bust/ failure

capecodder
overrated

Cody Zeller....soft now....maybe witha year to develop muscle and get banged about in big 10, but for now...overrated

vulture711
Zeller

He looked awful against Temple - against guys his size he can't score

JoeWolf1
JoeWolf1's picture
You've ducked my question

You've ducked my question before princejames, but you think Ben McLemore will be one of the biggest busts in NBA history? Because comparing a top 3 pick to Deaquan Cook certainly leads me to believe that is your opinion.

princejames
princejames's picture
The truth is that......

The truth is that I actually loved Deaquan Cook in high school. I thought he was a talented scorer and shooter. Who had the ability to create offense for himself at a level that was very similar to OJ Mayo and Eric Gordan. Deaquan Cook in my opinion is a underachiever who never really took advantage of his great offensive skills. It seems like he just embraced the role of being a athletic spot up shooter so he can stay in the NBA and receive a hefty pay check

NBA Scouts were also very high on Deaquan Cook when he was in highschool, he was actually being compared to ray allen and a young athletic larry hughes.

My comparison of Ben McLemore to Deaquan Cook is based on the reality, that I think ben will be asked to play the role of an athletic spot-up shooter in the NBA.

JoeWolf1
JoeWolf1's picture
So you do think he will be

So you do think he will be one of the biggest top 3 busts in NBA History? Most spot up shooters a la Cook, average around 6 or 7 ppg on their careers. If a 1,2, or 3 pick does that, whether you think it's a comparison based on reality or not would lead to a monumental bust. Is it safe to say that you think he'll be one of the biggest busts in NBA history?

Scotty5000
Zeller and it aint close. The

Zeller and it aint close. The odds of a white american lottery pick being worthy of said lottery pick, arent good. Off the top of my head Kevin Love is the only one in the last 20 years that has been.

I dont really see and differnece between Zeller and his brother at this point either.

MattHoops
I thin both Indiana kids,

I thin both Indiana kids, Zeller and Victor O. are overrated. They are very good college players but will be role-players at best in the NBA.. They are not high lottery pics in my opinion. Zeller could be a late lottery pick due to his size and skill set. Victor O would be great for a team in the 20's to grab.

theprophet
who in this draft will be

who in this draft will be better than a role player? they shouldn't be high lottery picks, but who screams out lottery in this draft to you? nobody does to me.

drk3351
drk3351's picture
Anthony Bennett, undersized

Anthony Bennett, undersized as a power foward, clearly ahead of the developing curve in terms of muscle, which lets him dominate more. He could be like an Elton Brand but I don't see the post moves yet, I say bust.

Meditated States
Meditated States's picture
Ray

Allen dribbled the ball a lot better than Ben does. So I don't see him as his ceiling. Ben will be a good Pro. If coaches use him right off of screens and spot ups he will be just fine.

rabidsnowman
Well

I mentioned two guys because I don't see him as a clone of either Redd OR Allen. More of a mix of the two. He has a bit of George Gervin in his game, too, if you're old enough to have seen him play. But I don't see McLemore ever getting to that level.

RUDEBOY_
RUDEBOY_'s picture
This draft doesnt have many

This draft doesnt have many immediate impact players..But i believe guys like Marcus Smart, Willie Cauley Stein,Glen Robinson,Gary Harris,Archie Goodwin and Ben McLemore could be All Stars in 4 or 5 years..If they get to the right team....
Thats what i think teams will be looking at this year..

So i wouldnt be surprised if WCS or Smart goes 1st based on upside....

For_Never_Ever
For_Never_Ever's picture
Your 2-5 you rate him being

Your 2-5, you rate him being average. Strange, I think you made a point before saying that all those things are Bazz strong points. Bazz can't even go to his off hand, and is below even average in all those things you listed 2-5.

princejames
princejames's picture
My Scouting Report On Shabazz Muhammad

I have been impressed with the potential of Shabazz Muhammed - Why?

1. I Iove his physicality, great body strength, tenaciousness, and hungry desire to score at a high level in any possible way
2. He has the potential to be a very good all around scorer in the nba.
3. He moves well with-out the ball, has great awareness to flash to open spots on the court, and has great catch and shoot skills.
4. He has very good shooting mechanics and shooting skills ( especially when he sets his feet and shoots on balance )
5. He has an efficient and unorthodox mid range game ( pull-up jumpers, fadeaway jumpers, runners, teardrops,etc)
6. He has pretty good offensive footwork when working from the tripple threat position
7. He has the ability to create and make difficult shots against tough defense
8.He knows how to use his body strength to initiate contact and force his defender to play off balance.
9. He has a very underrated first-step ( he uses a combination of strength and quickness to create space) and can play above the rim when needed
10. He has the strength, bodycontrol, and skillset to finish lay-ups around the rim in traffic and against size, length, contact, and athleticism
11. He has mature, efficient, and very dynamic post-up skills
12. He's not a very creative ball-handler, but he has the ability to use the dribble to get to spots on the court where he can be the most effective as a scorer and shooter
13. I don't think he will be a star, but I think shabazz will be a very effective scorer for many years In the NBA

Weaknesses:

1. He's a below average creator of offense for others ( he averages less than 1 assist per game )
2. He shot creating instincts off the dribble need improvement to maximize his ability to be a special and dynamic scorer in the NBA. To keep it simple, he needs to improve his ability to use advanced dribbling skills to enhance his ability to create space on the perimeter with-in isolation scoring situations
3. His defensive footwork needs refinement for the purpose of improving the defensive posture that will maximize his balance and allow him to move in a efficient manner. Which will help him utilize his great physical tools at a higher level when he has to guard the best scorers and athletes in the NBA who play the shooting guard and small forward positions

NBA Comparison: Nick Anderson / Isiah Rider ( AKA: JR Rider )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO0QGmumuRE ( Shabazz showing good and bad qualities )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=q1clejSvlIs ( Shabazz showing good and bad qualities )

princejames
princejames's picture
If Shabazz......

If shabazz was a better passer and creator of offense for others, if shabazz was a more dynamic ball-handler when it comes to creating space off the dribble on the perimeter, and if shabazz was a more effective/efficient defender. Than he would easily be the number one pick in this 2013 NBA Draft.

Because he possesses a variety of offensive tools that will allow him to easily develop into a very effective player in the NBA

Wetalkinboutpractice
Wetalkinboutpractice's picture
I said said this last weak in another Mclemore thread

I don't know but I see a Jason Richardson type of career for McLemore AT BEST. to me that's a more suiting comparison than Ray Allen. The thing that separates Allen from the others is that he's a stone cold killer and assassin with "star" qualities. I just don't get that from Ben at all. Jrich was a explosive finisher and good three point shooter (and is actually pretty high on the all time 3pt's made list at 13th all-time) with a game that to me almost mirrors McLemore's. At his best Jrich was an extremely solid fringe Allstar type player who was good for around 18-22ppg 5-6rpg 2-3ast.

rabidsnowman
McLemore plays better D

Than Jason Richardson, but I gave you +1. Its a good comparison.

HandDownManDown13
HandDownManDown13's picture
If Ben learns to dribble he

If Ben learns to dribble he could be a ray Allen type of player. He's also a crazy athlete so you've got to respect his upside. His defensive upside is much higher than Cook's as well

For_Never_Ever
For_Never_Ever's picture
Actually no you didn't. My

Actually no you didn't. My fault. Lol

HuRRiCaNeS324
HuRRiCaNeS324's picture
Almsot everything you said

Almsot everything you said can be said about the greatest shooters in NBA history, which is the potential this guy has.

Does Ray Allen have good finishing ability against size and athleticism? Is Ray Allen's ability to score off the dribble any better than average? Does he have great ball handling skills? Can he create offense by himself?

I admit most of this questions are arguable, but they are certainly not eye popping. Ray Allen is a shooter and Ben Mclemore is a shooter WITH upside to be a lot more. He is still young and improving handles isn't rocket science. Once he does that everything else will fall in place.

The only gripe i have with Mclemore is he disappears A LOT for someone who is projected to go #1. I've seen every Kansas game (always been a fan of Kansas b ball on top of being a UM fan) and too many times have i seen him have absolutely no impact.

But when he does, you can see why he is projected to go #1.

Wetalkinboutpractice
Wetalkinboutpractice's picture
Ray Allen in his prime had

Ray Allen in his prime had good finishing ability, was above average scoring off the dribble and a solid ball handler the man averaged close to 25ppg for more than a few seasons before he joined in the Celtics. He was also decent at creating for others.

It's like people forgot about how this man performed before he arrived in Bean Town. Walter Ray Allen was a number one option.

theprophet
as a young prospect, ray

as a young prospect, ray allen had good finishing ability against even size and athleticism and could beat you off the dribble. but those were just tools he had and he always played better off the ball, so that is what he did.

rabidsnowman
If you want my "Overrated" pick

It's going to be Anthony Bennett. His problem is the one thing you can't coach. Size. He's 6'7" (and that's generous, I bet the combine gets him at 6'6") and, while I know there are guys out there like Maxiell and Chuck Hayes who bulldog it out against much taller guys, the overwhelming majority of good college players this size don't do well in the League at all.

At his size, he'd have to be Charles Barkley to deserve a top 3 pick. He's not even close. There are far safer gambles even in this weak draft.

usfballer
McLemore

While Ben does leave a lot to be desired, people forget that two years ago this kid couldn't shoot AT ALL. Not streaky or inconsistent, flat out did not shoot from distance. He scored all of his baskets on slashes to the basket and in transition. Of course he is going to lose confidence from time to time and of course he doesn't quite understand how to use this new weapon. But considering how far he has come and the obvious amount of work he put in to become such a good spot up shooter I wouldn't bet against him putting in the work to continue to improve his offensive game.

The most overrated to me comes down to two guys: Victor Oladipo and Anthony Bennett.
If Oladipo is 6'3" or under, then anything before 12 is a stretch to me. If he's actually his listed 6'5", then my doubts are considerably lessened.
Anthony Bennett just seems like he is gonna be the classic tweener forward and he is terribly injury prone (due to poor conditioning?).

Lipstick
Lipstick's picture
Anthony Bennett = Brandon

Anthony Bennett = Brandon Bass?

I don't watch much college basketball, but Bennett showed a solid touch from the perimeter when I did see him play.

Not sure about the same explosiveness as Bass, though.

@activehustle
@activehustle's picture
HAHA who isn't overrated in

HAHA who isn't overrated in this draft is a better question.

Dhamp2
Dhamp

Even I have to say Michael Carter Williams turns the ball over more than Zach Maurbury did at Rhode Island! You new school cats don't remember those days. And MCW can't shoot. This is coming from a die-hard SU fan.

Dhamp....the greatest basketball mind in the world. Next to Hubie Brown anyway.

Sheltwon, holla at your boy. Are you still in Texas. I'm in NYC now!!!!!

Meditated States
Meditated States's picture
I agree

Everyone is overrated. This draft looks weak in terms of superstar talent. Two players will prove out and we are trying to figure out who? I do think this is a good value draft with useful pro's.

Sewok15
Sewok15's picture
I think the best Ben McLemore

I think the best Ben McLemore comparison could be Jason Richardson. Richardson wasn't known as a shooter early on in his career but he has put up pretty good shooting and scoring numbers. They are both supremely athletic but not always aggressive enough especially going to the basket. Richardson has had 3 years scoring over 20 ppg and 3 other years at 19. I believe McLemore could achieve similar numbers in his prime. I don't think he could ever be the best player on a high level team but this draft doesn't have anyone like that. His tournament so far has concerned me and makes me question him at #1 but I am still very high on him. I expect him to put up 15+ against Michigan but I think Michigan takes them down and this is the last we see of Ben McLemore at KU.

Sewok15
Sewok15's picture
Called it! It didn't go

Called it! It didn't go exactly like I thought but I was correct Ben had 15+ and Kansas lost.

jibbers0
At this point I would draft

At this point I would draft the FGCU lineup.

RSS: Syndicate content