Most OUT OF NOWHERE Draft Day trade, Past and Present/Future (2009)

Scott42444
Most OUT OF NOWHERE Draft Day trade, Past and Present/Future (2009)

I was going over some of the past trades on draft day, trying to get a feel at what kind of action we might see in 29 days and 50 minutes. It always seems like something happens that no one really predicted, from something somewhat shocking, like Jason Richardson to Charlotte for the rights to Brendan Wright. Then there are the Elton Brand to the Clippers for #2 pick Tyson Chandler, or Ray Allen for #5 Jeff Green.

What are the trades that shocked you guys in the past, and what do you see being the biggest deal pulled off this year? Even if it hasn't been talked about much, you know something is going to happen that nobody KNEW was coming.

auber
auber's picture
OJ Mayo going to the

OJ Mayo going to the grizzlies. I was a life long Minnesota fan that instantly jumped ship after that one.

Scott42444
Man, I hear you!

I thought to myself, "Wow, McHale did the right thing for once. He just drafted a potential superstar and now has a great 1-2 inside out game with Mayo and Jefferson. I didn't think he had it in him." Then he goes out and gets drunk or something and makes a trade at midnight (well, it was late anyway) ! I mean, Who in their right mind says, "Well, we have a great PF. I think that we need a PF"?!?! God, he and Isaiah Thomas (whose Eddy Curry trade with the Bulls is one of the worst deals in recent history) battled on the court in the 80's and in the 2000's they battled it out for most inept General Manager in the NBA!

RickyRubio9
RickyRubio9's picture
I'm sorry for Minny Fans.

They had B-Roy. NOPE.
O.J. NOPE
Sorry guys...

auber
auber's picture
We know the pain. I have no

We know the pain. I have no faith in them drafting anymore.

NYKnicksuperFan
i may be wrong

but didnt the rockets pick rudy gay and quickly trade him for someone?
or the Kobe-Divac trade Vlade had a good career but you cant trade away kobe!

Meditated States
Meditated States's picture
5 teams drop the ball in that B Roy draft

He was clearly the best player in that draft, I could not believe the teams that did not take him. Insanity, dude was the best player the year b4 that too. Crazy

Allen
So Roy was # 1 on your draft

So Roy was # 1 on your draft board that night?

SKIP_BAYLESS
SKIP_BAYLESS's picture
No one would have thought

No one would have thought Roy would have been this good.... 2006 draft was up in the air and there was no consensus #1

Scott42444
I agree on Roy

I am a look forward kind of guy, and as much as I am ticked that the Bulls not only traded away LaMarcus Aldridge but also passed on Roy...all things lead to Derrick Rose. Changing those drafts don't get the Bulls Rose, so I am happy. Roy is so far the best player from that draft though.

But, almost NO ONE, including the team that chose him (Trailblazers obviously) had him on the top of their board. He was the second pick for the Blazers that night behind Aldridge, well actually Thomas, but I think that the consensus is that the Bulls and Blazers were drafting for each other. Both GM's were kind of coy on that just in case the trade fell through for whatever reason.

Saying that you were high on Roy is great, and I believe you if you say you would have taken him if you were running the Raptors. But, I don't think that most people would have agreed with you.

QHaynes123
minnesota

Sota has the worst luck

96-Marubury for Allen

05-McCants over Granger and Monta Ellis

06-Roy for Foye

08-Mayo for Love

09-?

Im just kidding bout the 09 part....

RickyRubio9
RickyRubio9's picture
Haha

Rockets traded Gay for Battier who has worked out better then Gay might have. Seriously...Gay might have been limited with Yao and McGrady doing most of the scoring and B-Roy might not have been this good, but still Foye? Maybe it's just Kevin P of the Blazers is a genius who snagged Roy and Aldridge both.

Scott42444
Any crazy predictions for this year?

I could see something crazy, like Phoenix trading Amare, Lopez and #14 for Randolph and #1 (if the Suns are POSITIVE that he won't resign with them). Well, I don't know if I can really see that happening, but it's just a thought. Of course, Randolph is there just for salary purposes.

It gives Phoenix a new stud PF in Griffin who can be teamed with Shaq and Zach Randolph (maybe Shaq can get him squared away, if it's possible) this season. When Shaq and Nash are off the books in 2010, they will still have a lot of room to make a run for another top flight free agent even with Randolph's salary.

The Clippers get 1 young center (in case Amare leaves town) in Robin Lopez, 1 All-NBA Center, and then have the ability to give Amare the most money out of anyone in the league due to the Bird rule. The #14 might net them a player like a Jrue Holiday from UCLA, a hometown guy who could give them some decent minutes when Gordon needs a rest or when Baron Davis gets injured again. Or they can get a Terrence Williams at 14 who can rotate with Thornton and play the 2 when Gordon gets exposed defensively. Plus, they have the salary cap space to resign Amare to a huge deal with Randolph gone.

I just thought this up out of thin air, so if it sounds crazy I am sorry. The question I am trying to ask here is what kind of crazy trade do you think might happen this year similar to the "Brand for #2" or "Ray Allen for #5" trades. Big name guys getting moved because of rebuilding, or salary relief, etc. Actually, I don't think that trade is that terrible. Maybe it's even a good one. I think that it's a win-win, if the Clippers think they have an actual chance of resigning Amare and the Suns think that they don't have a chance in hell of resigning Amare. Of course, you are stuck with Randolph. Maybe playing with Steve Nash and Shaq for a year would straighten him out.

rvirsal
rvirsal's picture

QHaynes123, you forgot about 03. ndudi ebi over josh howard.

Bubblebutt
Penny

What about drafting Shaq, then urging the Magic to trade Webber for penny. haha

Scott42444
Penny

Yeah, that was shocking. But, not that Webber and Hardaway were traded for one another (although #1 picks don't get moved very often) but the fact that Golden State gave up 3 first round picks to move up. Of course, Webber did end up having the better career. Just not in Golden State.

I don't think that Don Nelson needed any convincing at the time, that man is in a league of his own when it comes to the NBA Draft. If he likes a dude, he'll pull a Mike Ditka and trade every draft pick he's even thought about having to get what he wants.

xbadgerhustler
McHale Sucks but...

you have to give him credit for dropping a lot of salary on the grizz and also adding miller... mayo also duplicates a lot of the things Randy Foye already does.... K Love proved he was a very good rebounder too soooooo it was probably the best of his bad moves. only time will tell though. N. Ebi was easily the worst move in hindsight. that was just an AWFUL pick

RSS: Syndicate content