Mock Draft 0.5
Just made a quick two-round mock draft with analyzations of the first-round picks. Let me know what you'll think.
I really like your mock and the comments. Very well thought out. +1
Thank you, I will be fixing it as the draft process continues.
I won't argue your order. It's your draft, your opinion.
Some of the comments were strange to me though.
Anthony Bennett is a terrible defender. He would not improve the Suns defensively.
The Pistons traded for Calderon and moved Knight off the ball. They've also openly said that they liked what Calderon brought to the table and could look to bring him back. That doesn't sound like a franchise dead set on keeping Knight at the 1.
Gobert is not "uber athletic," he's just exceptionally long.
Mason Plumlee is not a "limited" athlete. He's actually extremely athletic.
Tony Mitchell worked out with the PFs today which was a good sign for him IMO. He doesn't need to learn to play on the wing effectively. He needs to learn how to play in the paint effectively.
Thank you for your constructive criticism. I understand what you are saying with all of these, but you have to consider...
1. If you look at the Suns' roster the only lockdown defender is Dudley. Even though Bennett might not be a good defender, he brings a physical and mental aspect to the team that was missing even when they were on the verge of becoming a championship team.
2. Yes, I can see Calderon coming back, but the Pistons are still in total rebuilding mode so I don't see him being a reason why they wouldn't snag Oladipo because I doubt Calderon will be in the Piston's plans 5 years from now when they should have a shot to make some noise. I was thinking Shabazz for them also because he could play SF as well.
3. Gobert is 7'2 in shoes. Most guys that tall can't walk and chew gum at the same time. He seems very fluid for a dude that big, plus he's only 19. I think a combination of Durant, Ibaka, and Gobert would be pretty interesting to see in the long-run. I was definitely using hyperbole with the "uber" though.
4. I see Mason as more of a technically sound player rather than a guy that can go up and throw it down. Yes in college he seemed much more athletic than I'm giving him credit for, but I feel like in order for him to be successful in the NBA, he will have to become a technical player.
5. As long as Tony Mitchell doesn't get stuck in the tweener spot then I think he will pan out. I saw him as a SF because he had some bright spots shooting the ball, but he wasn't consistent enough. At PF he will be a bit of a project because he doesn't have the refined ability, but as long as he sticks to one, I think he will be a solid contributor.
The looks are really deceiving. Bennett doesn't even play that physically or with a mental edge. He plays in spurts, doesn't throw his weight around like you figure he would and he doesn't play defense. I still don't get how you can conclude that a bad defender can help improve a team defensively. He also folded during conference play, mentally checking out in key road games..
I was just disagreeing with your contention that the Pistons are committed to keeping Knight at the 1.
Nah, Mason Plumlee is indeed very athletic. Technically he is rather unsound and mechanical. I don't even understand what you're trying to say with the rest of your point #4. You see him as a more technical player, but maybe he looked more athletic then you're giving him credit for, yet you think that he will have to become a technical player? WAT?!
Mitchell is far less refined as a perimeter player than he is as an interior player. He has no perimeter skill outside of the ability to inconsistently hit stand still jumpers. OTOH, he's still a good rebounder and shot blocker.
I really liked this mock!
The only changes I would possibly make are:
Moving Steven Adams into the lottery to Dallas, I am very high on Adams and after watching him in the combine yesterday, i believe he can turn out to be a dominant centre in the league if he can continue to develop his offensive game (i think he can instantly hold his own in the post against some of the top centres DEFENSIVELY as soon as he comes into the league) but for the meanwhile, acting as a Defensive Centre who's main source of offense will come from easy transition buckets, putbacks and tip ins will help Dallas out. He can continue to develop his offensive game with some good guidance and coaching, and hope he doesn't develop some bad habits. If this all works out i believe he could become a top centre in the league.
Shane Larkin will be taken 25-30, not sure who to, but i believe he can have a Norris Cole affect. A small point guard (Coles not overly small but isn't big for a pg) who can provide offense, energy and leadership. I think he could turn out to be an absolute steal in the draft, and could turn out to be a 6th man of the year candidate some day if all goes right for him!
Kelly Olynyk will be taken in the teens, i dont necessarily think he will turn out to be a dominant centre in the league because he has a poor defensive game for a centre. But i think he can provide some good post, front AND back to the basket offense which can help to spread the floor because he also has decent range. I can see him being taken by Boston at 16 if he falls out of the lottery, but i do think he will be taken in the lottery because he can help a team out instantly.
Just some of my thoughts but i think your mock was great and the comments were great too!
I could see Adams moving up to 13 as well. If Dallas values him more than Saric then Dario will withdraw, which would change everything. With Larkin I saw he measured really poorly at the combine. 5'11 in shoes and his wingspan is smaller than his body which is a real problem. Before these measurements I thought he would sneak in to the bottom of the first-round, but now I see him as a second rounder unless he shines in drills. In no way am I saying he can't become a solid player though because he has the skill. And yes, I am low on Olynyk so I guess my draft spot for him indicated that. I just have a gut feeling that there will be plenty of international players picked fairly high and he was the victim of the hunch in my mock.