Minnesota In the Playoffs in 2011???????????????

The Splash Doc
The Splash Doc's picture
Minnesota In the Playoffs in 2011???????????????

Kevin Love, Michael Beasley and Wesley Johnson are set for 2-4 now the most important positions are 1&5.

Ricky Rubio is great for this team and should be the starting PG. Luke Ridnour will be the back up which makes Jonny Flynn expendable to a team like Portland who can send Rudy Fernandez. They may let Corey Brewer walk along with Kosta Kufos. They then draft Enes Kanter who can 4/5 and then later on because they have 2 first pick up either Fab Melo if he falls or a scorer like Williams Buford.

Rubio-Ridnour

Johnson-Beasley-Buford

Milicic-Love-Kanter

Young yes but the West wont be as tough in 2011

SAS ages even more

Denver dismantles

Portland falls apart literally

GSW and PHX dont play enough D

Sacramento might get in they need another piece

NOH doesnt have the same mojo

Houston is in rebuild mode

Memphis depends on what Zach Randolph does

Dallas continues to age and over spend

OKC, LAL and Utah are the clear locks

LAC is just unlucky

so Minny gets in

WizKid
WizKid's picture
Gotta learn to play defense

Gotta learn to play defense and the triangle doesnt fit this team

BasterdInABasket
BasterdInABasket's picture
2011 playoffs would be this

2011 playoffs would be this year and thats not happening for sure. That team would still be too young even for next year.

Counting Stars
Counting Stars's picture
While Love and Beasley are

While Love and Beasley are good, they have some other talented pieces who will have to make major strides before this happens. I agree withWizkid in that they should get rid of the triangle.

NYCrealdeal
NYCrealdeal's picture
too bad

rubio doesnt want to play in minni

toruk
toruk's picture
Beasley a star?

they depend on beasley scoring tons of points. it would be good if he could also improve in other areas. Love will be a great 2 best player. but they got a big question at the point. Will rubio play? Can he play at a high level in the nba? if he doesnt can jonny flyn be that guy?

the lake show
Rubio, his agent, and the

Rubio, his agent, and the team have said he's GONNA play for minny. Come on now you gotta keep up with the latest news

BothTeamsPlayedHard
BothTeamsPlayedHard's picture
I'd like to apologize to

I'd like to apologize to Knick fans for thinking they could not be any more delusional about their team. I'm sorry. I am truly sorry. I didn't know about Timberwolf fans.

sheltwon3
sheltwon3's picture
I think that they are at

I think that they are at least 3 years away. They would have to be better than Suns, Nuggets who may not make the playoff this year but are pretty good. You have to have a complete team and chemitry to come out of the West and I don't see Minny having that unless Kahn actually makes some wiser moves and draft players that can fit in or trade some young guys for savy vets

the lake show
I like beasley but come on

I like beasley but come on 2011 playoffs?  Try 2013 at the earliest 

Twolves fans are close to knick fans yet.  Only one fan has said something outlandish.  Compared to a couple of knicks fans.  None have said it's a sure thing a superstar is coming

The UnderKanter
You don't even know how good

You don't even know how good Rubio is. Your putting him in as your savior and you haven't even seen him play a game. For all we know, he's just another Jose Calderon. I'd rather start Flynn than Calderon. Playoffs are about 2-3 years away. No way they'll make it this year or even next year.

omphalos
omphalos's picture
No mention of Martell Webster

No mention of Martell Webster at the 2 spot? He's the same age as Wes Johnson with 5 years NBA experience.

Nbanflguy
Nbanflguy's picture
"Gotta learn to play defense

"Gotta learn to play defense and the triangle doesnt fit this team"

The Timberwolves do NOT run the triangle! Everyone seems to think the wolves run the triangle offense, but Rambis has even been quoted saying that he does not use the triangle.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17475

the lake show
You have to realize alot of

You have to realize alot of the people who talk about the twolves havnt watched them play so they go by what they have read somewhere or overheard hence some of the false comments about the team

I don't think rubio is the savior either and for sure not in year one. He will be coming off the bench in year one IMO untill he gets used to the NBA game. But I wouldn't be suprised if he plays slot of min or start by midseason because his game is more NBA than it is euro

BlueLaces
Rubio won't be coming off the

Rubio won't be coming off the bench when he gets here. They have said that when he comes over, he will be the starting PG from day one. And just like Nbanflguy said, the Wolves do not run the triangle. If any of you have actually watched the Wolves, you would know this.

the lake show
 we all know starting isn't

we all know starting isn't in stone if someone comes in and outworks you. I'm
Pretty sure no one thought  mr fields out in new York was gonna start.  Rubio may have a upper hand on paper but he can get pushed to the bench if Flynn punishes him in camp

Biggysmalls
And if they did run the

And if they did run the triange, why wouldnt it fit this current team in place? With Rubio running the show, wouldnt the triangle fit pretty well? Its basically a glorified motion with certain cuts at certain times with interchangeable pieces. We have bigs who can pass, perimeter guys who can shoot and post, and a pg who can slash and get all of them the ball...if he is at least half as good as advertised

JNixon
JNixon's picture
"And if they did run the

"And if they did run the triange, why wouldnt it fit this current team in place? With Rubio running the show, wouldnt the triangle fit pretty well?"

No, because Rubio isn't much of a shooter. The triangle offense needs a solid jump shooting PG who doesn't need the ball in their hands to be effective. Rubio is a true PG who would need the ball in his hands alot to be effective, therefore he's not an ideal PG for a triangle offense.

koppa33
NEVER

Dont need stats, dont even have to say anything about the players. Two people will stop that from ever happening. DAVID KAHN and KURT RAMBIS.

koppa33
NEVER

Dont need stats, dont even have to say anything about the players. Two people will stop that from ever happening. DAVID KAHN and KURT RAMBIS.

Hansotek
The year before the leap

Having seen most every Wolves game this year, where this team is at now reminds me a little of where the Thunder were in 08-09. OKC only won 23 games that year, but as you might recall, it became apparent that things were starting to come together for them, and they made the playoffs the following year. In the year "Before The Leap" Durant's efficiency went way up, much as Beasley's efficiency is way up this year. Green started to come into his own, much the way Love has this year.

Now there is obviously a big difference between these players, but looking at the combined statistics of these players shows us something interesting:

DURANT + GREEN 08-09
PPG: 41.8
RPG: 12.4

LOVE + BEASLEY 10-11
PPG: 40.0
RPG: 19.5

The combined scoring outputs of both tandems are nearly identical, while the 10-11 Wolves tandem is outrebounding the OKC tandem by a whopping 157%. Although Mike Beasley may never be Kevin Durant (nor is it fair to expect him to be), the statistics suggests the Wolves star tandem is not only on pace with the 08-09 Thunder, but may be slightly ahead of where the 08-09 Thunder were from a developmental standpoint.

Now let's fast forward for a moment to consider the current supporting casts of both teams: Harden, Sefalosha, Collison and Ibaka of OKC vs. Johnson, Brewer, Milicic and Tolliver of MIN:

OKC SUPPORTING CAST 10-11
PPG: 34.7
RPG: 19.9

MIN SUPPORTING CAST 10-11
PPG: 32.7
RPG: 17.0

The Thunder have a slight edge here, but not much. I think it is far to say both teams have a similarly strong supporting cast.

Finally, that brings us to the PG spot. This appears to be the X Factor in the equation. If the Wolves are going to make the leap to becoming a playoff team, the tandem of Rubio and Flynn will need to put up contributions similar to that of Westbrook and Maynor.

If Rubio is as good as advertised, the Wolves could have their star PG, much as OKC has in Westbrook. Rubio may not be the scorer Westbrook is, but I believe he can certainly put up the assist numbers. (I'd expect Rubio to look statistically more like a late-career Jason Kidd than Westbrook.) But I think it is also realistic to think that Flynn can provide some of that scoring punch off the bench to even things out. To quote ESPN analyst David Thorpe, "Playing behind a pass-first point guard, Flynn would become an instant 6th Man of the Year candidate."

Given Rubio's championship-level professional experience in the Euroleague, it may not be unrealistic to expect him to be ready to help the Wolves win before Westbrook was ready to help OKC get to the playoffs.

Given these observations between the growth and development of both teams, and provided the Wolves current development curve stays on track, I would expect next year to be a safe bet as the year the Wolves make the leap back to legitimacy.

Barring a lockout, of course.

the lake show
Pointless to put that because

Pointless to put that because there are some who won't think the wolves can get better reguardless. What stats may say other wise.  It doesn't matter that there best players are years from there prime or that beasley is clearly better then he was last year ( yes he had chances in Miami when Wade was hurt and he didn't step up)  will they make that okc step?? No one knows. It's foolish to say they won't just like it's foolish to say they will. We know love can be a 20ppg 11-14reb scorer in the near future and we know beasley can be a 25-30ppg 5-10rebounder and like melo he's show signs that he can become a good defender. I'm still not sold on darko but I can't deny he's been balling the past couple of games.

We can agree that they will take loses this year and some next year but should be better. Those that don't like the wolves will say they aren't going in the right direction and beasley isn't getting better but if you do some research you will see the concensous amoungst fans,non fans, NBA talking heads is that they are moving in the right direction.  Let's not forget there two best players are 4 years from the start of there prime plus they get all the chances they want which helps with confidence.

The twolves are clearly not there yet but they are heading in the right direction

RSS: Syndicate content