Mickey Mitchell (#5 in 2015) has Torn ACL

DMV_LeGenD
DMV_LeGenD's picture
Mickey Mitchell (#5 in 2015) has Torn ACL

PCA loses Mickey Mitchell to torn ACL injury
BY Matt Welch, [email protected]

Published: Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:45 PM CST
Both the Prestonwood Christian Academy football and boys basketball teams received some unpleasant news on Monday, learning that sophomore Mickey Mitchell has suffered a torn ACL.

The Lions' starting quarterback, Mitchell injured his knee during the first play of Prestonwood's matchup against Bishop Lynch last Friday. The Lions went on to lose their third consecutive game in a 35-13 decision to the Friars.

On the season, Mitchell had thrown for 1,855 yards, 21 touchdowns and eight interceptions while rushing for 773 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Mitchell's father Ken confirmed the injury, which bears effects not just on the gridiron but the ball-court as well.

Mickey is ranked as the No. 5 basketball player in the nation for the Class of 2015 according to ESPN and was slated to be an integral piece in the Lions' bid for a repeat as TAPPS Division I State Champions.

A squad already low on experience, Prestonwood will soldier on behind seniors Julius Randle and Marquan Botley when the squad takes the floor Nov. 23 against Madison Prep in the Thanksgiving Hoopfest.

For continued news and coverage on the local sports scene, follow @MWelchSCN on Twitter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MUbballfan
MUbballfan's picture
Such a shame, he's one of my

Such a shame, he's one of my favorite players in that class. Hopefully he has a quick recovery.

Siggy
Sucks for him. Maybe this

Sucks for him. Maybe this injury will force him to focus on one sport from now on.

MUbballfan
MUbballfan's picture
Hopefully basketball (fingers

Hopefully basketball (fingers crossed)

DMV_LeGenD
DMV_LeGenD's picture
No way he chooses football

No way he chooses football over basketball. He just suffered a severe injury playing football and probably isn't ranked, while he's aa top-5 ranked player in his HS basketball class. Like Siggy said, I think he'd be better off just giving up football and focusing solely on basketball. He won't be risking injury, and he wouldn't have to juggle sports and would have more time to work on his basketball craft.

MUbballfan
MUbballfan's picture
Actually, I remember an

Actually, I remember an article on him calling him one of the top ranked quarterbacks in the country.Also, his older brother Mike Mitchell is a top 50 player in the 2013 football class I believe. And he is risking injury playing basketball, just not as much a football.

Tiger1313
What a shame..if there is a

What a shame..if there is a positive it's that it happened early in his career, better now then his senior year I suppose. Great talent that can do it all basically, can't wait to see him come back from it stronger then ever!

Taylor Gang Mike
Taylor Gang Mike's picture
Damn that sucks. Now Julius

Damn that sucks. Now Julius can expect lots of double teams. Lucky hes only a sophmore, hopefully he comes back strong and makes his mind up on what sport he wants to play. Hes an exciting player

RSS: Syndicate content