The Memphis Grizzles Should Trade Mike Conley Jr and Draft a Franchise Point Guard in the 2009 NBA Draft

don042488
don042488's picture
The Memphis Grizzles Should Trade Mike Conley Jr and Draft a Franchise Point Guard in the 2009 NBA Draft

I think the Memphis Grizzles should package Mike Conley Jr., Darko Milicic, Darrell Arthur, and a future first round pick to the Miami Heat for Michael Beasley, Mark Blount, and Joel Anthony. It may seem as Miami gets the better deal, with three quality players and a future first round pick, but Memphis with Michael Beasley, Rudy Gay, and OJ Mayo can be a trio to mess with out West for years to come. At center the Grizzles would have Marc Gasol, Beasley at power forward, Rudy Gay at small forward, OJ Mayo at shooting guard, and with their lottery pick for the 2009 NBA Draft, the Grizzles could concentrate on picking a franchise point guard, ala Ricky Rubio or maybe Brandon Jennings. With a deal like that, and to acquire a point guard the caliber of a Ricky Rubio or Brandon Jennings, Portland and the Timberwolves has the watch out, because the Grizzles would become the next young team on the rise, especially with all the cap space they have to lure free agents as well. A move like this is something similar the New O'rleans Hornets did a few years back, when they traded Baron Davis to the Golden State Warriors and then in the 2005 NBA Draft, they selected the best point guard in the league today, Chris Paul.

Callahan_Devil
Really!?!

Do you really think that Miami would trade Michael Beasley? I love to contemplate trades for my favorite teams too, but this trade is way too unrealistic. He's got more potential than all of the players that Memphis would trade to Miami combined. I can't believe you called Darko a quality player, that gave me the biggest laugh of my day. Conley and Arthur both have good potential, but at this point in their careers they wouldn't even be considered regular rotation players on any playoff caliber team. Lowry looks to have more trade value than Conley at this time, and the fact that the Grizz spent a very high lottery pick on Conley, I just don't see them giving up on him. They would definitely include him for a trade like this, but the fact that this trade is completely unrealistic, makes it irrelevant. Even though they did spend their fourth overall pick in 2007 on Conley, I can still see them spending a top ten pick on Jennings or Rubio. That's the problem with Conley, he's not a playmaker, he's a backup point guard on a bad team at this time, which isn't saying much. His quickness, supposed potential, and success at Ohio State was the only reason he was drafted in the top ten. It's looking like Rodney Stuckey would've been the better pick, but the fact that he came out of an obscure college like Eastern Washington made him get picked so low, even though he has much better physical tools than Conley.

grwgoden08
LOL

Even if that trade happens (which it won't) Portland will still be ten times better than you guys. Lol your team consists of ballhogs who don't know what an assist is.

Why should we watch out for you guys or the wolves? LOL we are one of the top teams in the NBA already.

don042488
don042488's picture
Being Realistic

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Memphis Grizzles fan and I don't root for them, but I think that deal would be great trade for them and it makes sense for Miami as well. The Heat are said to be going after Carlos Boozer, who has a house in Miami, during this years free agency period. Let's say the Heat does land Carlos Boozer, who is a All-Star caliber player, there gonna sign him to a pretty long deal most likely and you guys really think, Michael Beasley is going to like the idea of being drafted # 2 and coming of the bench for much of his career? No, cause Beasley doesn't have the lateral quickness or much hops to make a move to playing small forward. And OJ Mayo, Beasley, and Rudy Gay can work out, look it the Triple J's back in the 90's with Jason Kidd, Jamal Mashburn, and Jim Jackson for the Dallas Mavericks and even Run TMC, Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond, and Chris Mullin for the Golden State Warriors. If u wanna go to more modern times, then look at the Mavericks team that had Dirk, Nash, and Finley, the Bucks team that had Ray Allen, Sam Cassell, and Glen Robinson, the Suns that had Amare, Joe Johnson, Marion, and Nash, and even the Spurs with Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu, so three stars on a team can co-exist, they just have to have the right mentality and some veterans around them that will keep peace in the locker room.

grwgoden08
i guess so...

I just don't see them getting Boozer (almost past his prime) and giving away Beasley...I just don't see that happening.

grwgoden08
btw

there's not a franchise pg in this draft...

James-Harden-13
James-Harden-13's picture
how do you figure?

that brandon jennings and ricky rubio are not franchise pg's, in 3 years the top 5 pg in the game will be paul, deron, rose, rubio, and jennings. mark it.

grwgoden08
nope

jerryd bayless is a much better prospect than Jennings and he's struggling in the NBA...If Jennings was a franchise pg don't you think he'd be higher than the seventh pick in a watered down draft like this?

don042488
don042488's picture
Jennings Will Make a Better Pro Compared to Bayless

Not to say Jerryd Bayless isn't a special player because he is, I been a big fan of his since he was in high school, but Bayless is a tweaner. He's a shooting guard in a point guard's body, he's much like Leandro Barbosa. Brandon Jennings on the other hand, you know for a fact he's a point guard. Yes, he scored a lot in high school and at times cared more about doing a razzle dazzle crossover or fancy no look passes to appeal the fans, but in Europe he's maturing to be a more disciplined player. He may not be scoring a lot in Europe, but he's learning to become a man, learning winning is more important than showing off to the fans, learning that having a hard work ethnic overcomes talent, becoming more of a leader, and playing better on defense. He'll be just fine when draft time come around, he's gonna prove in workouts that he has more potential than the more experienced point guards in the draft, such as Ty Lawson, Darren Collinson, Eric Maynor, AJ Price, Jeremy Pargo, Tyrese Rice and etc.

grwgoden08
uhhhhhhh

There are plenty of tweeners who turn out to be great pros.

I Am Awesome-O
I Am Awesome-O's picture
Beasley to Memphis

There is no way that the HEAT would give Beasley up to Memphis for Conley, Arthur, and Milicic, and I am saying that as a huge Memphis fan. Don't get me wrong, I would kill to have Beasley in Memphis. But I don't think we could get him without giving up either Mayo or Gay. I don't think Beasley is worth giving up either of those two.

Now other than Mayo or Gay, I would be willing to give up anyone else on the roster, along with multiple draft picks, to get Beasley. I would offer the HEAT a package of Conley, Gasol, and future draft picks for Beasley and the horrible contracts of Marc Blount and Marcus Banks. That would give the HEAT the starting 7 foot center that they need, and their point guard of the future in Conley. Conley will be really good. I still think he could be a Tony Parker type of point guard. He has been playing a lot better lately and still has a LOT of upside.

I would even be willing to sweeten the pot for the HEAT with Lowry or Warrick, whatever it takes to get Beasley without giving up Mayo or Gay. Can you imagine that core of Mayo, Gay, and Beasley with cap space to work with this summer and a high lottery pick? That is freaking terrifying and awesome. Unfortunately, it's probably impossible.

could b

instead of this trade
they should trade conley for jerryd byless cuz he can create good plays

los507
I think it's just time to cut your losses with Conley

I think it's just time to cut your losses with Conley, I live in Memphis and trust me it's time to get rid of this guy while there is still somewhat of a market for his services. If the Grizz wait any longer it will be very hard to get something of value back in return as for reguards of his upside.Me personally I would like to have a guy like Sergio Rodrigez and since the money between them wouldn't matchup I'm sure that something of value could and would be put together to off set the monietary difference.I also wouldn't mind to see a deal that would involve Conley and maybe a guy like Marko Jaric(Darko Milic) for Andray Blatche and another player like Juan Dixon.I know that trade sounds crazy from a talent standpoint but I would like to think they have to be looking at ways to trim some of the bloated contracts off of there salary cap some how.Just have always liked Blatche so I would love to see them take a shot at getting him on the Grizz with that young team.But if those trades are too wild to play out they should just try the best deal possible to let him go because he is just not as good as advertised nice little back-up or guy to play in a time share type system(a la T.J.Ford&Caleron).Just not a franchise point guard and when you draft a guy with the 4th pick it's frustrating.So it's time to go.

Stevedot
jerryd bayless

he aint struggling

he aint gettin playin time like that

he was the mvp in summer league

hes a rookie he juss got to improve his point gaurd skills

cuzz he can score and get to the line

Coherent
I agree Beasly to Memphis is

I agree Beasly to Memphis is unrealistic, plus Marion is gone after this year, get boozer and put Beasly at sf. Plus the trade for a Beasly and a first round is horrible for Miami, plus Miami's pick will not put Memphis in the position to grab Rubio or Jennings. Memphis is heading in the right direction, Conley was a bust, but they took the risk. Patrick Mills or Lawson may be considered come draft night.

tbp82
I live in Tennessee and it

I live in Tennessee and it is hard to say whether Memphis is going in the right direction or not. Personally it looks to me they are going in the wrong direction. Point #1 Mayo I know is a rookie but to me he doesn't fit with Rudy Gay they are not going to be the next Jordan/Pippen combo and a star shooting guard/small forward combo leading a team other than Jordan and Pippen is not a good thing. Point #2 Memphis doesn't have a franchise big man. Mikan, Russell, Chamberlin, Reed, Walton, Jabbar, Mose Malone, Hakeem, Shaq, Duncan, and recently Garnett I know wing players are exciting (yet they are the two least important players on the court) and I know Point Guards are vital but the most important piece to a championship team is a franchise big man always has been always will be and unless Memphis can get Blake Griffin or Greg Monroe they don't have that. Point #3 To defend my previous posters who said Memphis is going in the right direction they are going in the right direction in a sense that I see the potential for them to be a boderline playoff team in the near future if they follow the draft a PG theory that some hear are wanting. I want the Grizzlies to be a legitimate contender not just a 7,8 seed fighting for the right to lose to the Lakers (for the near future), (Portland, Utah, New Orleans teams of the future) and San Antnonio (love it or hate you know they are a contender every year) in the first round. The problem with the Grizzlies isn't conley they need a franchise level big man.

J.Lopez
NBA

Teammates Malik Hairston and Maarty Luenen unexpectedly heard their names called but Taylor didn’t.
Chat Sohbet Muhabbet Egitim Egitim eJJe Egitim ATATURK Ruya Tabirleri
Siirler Hikayeler Fikralar Programlar Guzel Sozler Resimler freetemplates Taylor was arguably Oregon’s best player last season, but his 6-foot-4 frame makes him a undersized at the next level. Nonetheless, his scoring ability, length and athleticism give him a chance to make in in the league.

RSS: Syndicate content