Melo suspended 1 game, loses dollars $225,836.28

TheArtistPaysth...
TheArtistPaysthePrice's picture
Melo suspended 1 game, loses dollars $225,836.28

There is a lot of KG hate going on right now and deservedly so however he was very effective in getting under Carmelo's skin. KG won this battle and maybe even the war.

Carmelo Anthony stands to lose a game check for his tirade totaling around 225,000 dollars or 1/82 of his yearly salary.

KG has shown what Melo's weaknesses are and that he can be made volatile if sensitive issues are brought up. Now lesser players, knock around guys and bench defensive stoppers, can try something similar while guarding Melo. They might get killed by Melo on the court but they were suppose to and probably were going to anyway, Melo is a beast. You shouldn't have to wake a sleeping giant, real giants don't sleep. Kobe, Melo, Westbrook are assassins who are going at you regardless, they don't need extra motivation, its in their basketball DNA.

If the Knicks bounce the Celtics in the playoffs that wouldn't mean Melo won because he plays for the better team, technically they should beat the C's in their season and playoff series.

KG is my favorite player in the League so I am bias, but he played Melo. KG is the Ray Lewis of basketball to me because he always go as hard as he can and expects everyone else to do the same. Like Westbrook, they let emotion will them to do things that they maybe could not have done but passion is something that Hollinger and all the stats guys can't quite yet quantify. We always get mad at athletes for not taking the game serious but hate the ones that take it "too serious". We complain when a guy is not in shape or doesn't seem to care but people often hate the guys that go to hard. I say GO HARD or GO HOME, its what I tell my players at any level I have coached or played. Its crazy to me that anybody would call out a guy for taking basketball, winning and getting under the skin of an opposing player as too serious or below the belt. Trying to have a guy land on your foot, like people did with Dirk or virtually punching a guy like Kobe was doing with those slap back jumpers, that's to far, not trash talk that would make even Gary Payton proud. I'm pretty sure that KG told Melo outside the bus, "I'm not really an @sshole, I just play one on TV".

220's picture
Carmelo needs to be smarter

Carmelo needs to be smarter than he was. He has to know that going after KG in the locker room directly after the game, even if it's to talk, will have unwanted consequences.

Anton123
Anton123's picture
Shouldn't what happens after

Shouldn't what happens after the game be the players business? I mean as long as the guys don't break each others legs and break some kind of contract thing they may as well freaking have a right to do whatever the schmuck they want
I know it hasn't been that way for like 20 years but jeez, 225 thousand dollars? For basically nothing happening?

Lebron's Hairline
Lebron's Hairline's picture
That's alot of Honey Nut

That's alot of Honey Nut Cheerios

RUDEBOY_
RUDEBOY_'s picture
(No subject)

Image Hosted by UploadHouse.com

bobbyb
225k is pennies for him. It

225k is pennies for him. It is only one game. It would be like you losing 25 bucks. And it wasnt nothing, he wasnt waiting outside the team bus to congradulate the Celtics on their victory.

Bird_Years
Bird_Years's picture
I agree its not the end of

I agree its not the end of the world, but its a hell of a lot more than $25 would be to the average guy.

Since Carmelo is making $20.5 million this year (basketball-reference.com) he'd actually be losing $250,000 and as a % of his income (assuming $6 million in endorsements) that would be about 1%. Say average guy is making $50K a year, that'd be like being fined $500. Not the end of the world, but it hurts.

TallmanNYC
TallmanNYC's picture
And Melo's "only" making this

And Melo's "only" making this kind of money for about 10, maybe 12 years (rookie years he made less and he will make a lot less on his next contract). Regular guy is making that $50k for 40+ years. So as a percentage of lifetime earnings, it hits Melo four times harder. He's going to notice this. If the Knicks lose that game, that means KG's trash talking will have taken two wins from the Knicks.

If this is supposed to make Melo less pi$$ed at KG and thereby diffuse things, I don't think it is going to help.

coolti35
If all he really said was the

If all he really said was the honey nut cheerios thing, then Melo is lame for even bringing it up after the game. There has to be more to this. What's the difference between that and a ''Yo Mama's'' joke? It's irrelevant trash talking that shouldn't really bother you if you're focus on playing basketball and winning the game.

I do agree that it's unnecessary, idiotic and immature but if you respond to insignificant things like this that what does that make you?

TallmanNYC
TallmanNYC's picture
Why should any man come up to

Why should any man come up to my face and tell me he's been fvcking my wife? And why should I have to stand for that just because we happen to be playing basketball at the time?

BigChamp12
To each its own

You can get away with saying certain things to certain people. But there is a line also. Bringing up Melo's wife was the line for him. Every since I've been playing ball, I've been a trash talker and went up against even bigger trash talkers. We never bring up each others personal situations, thats something fans do. But from one player to another, you usually trash talk about the players' game. Criticize his skillset. Tell him he cant stop you, call him a bi**h but leave his family out of it. Family has always been a line that we dont cross.

NiceWithTheRock
NiceWithTheRock's picture
How do you even put together

How do you even put together in your mind a man's wife and Honey Nut Cheerios during a basketball game?

RSS: Syndicate content