Mavericks "100%" sure to make a deal

JJeff6
JJeff6's picture
Mavericks "100%" sure to make a deal

Words straight from Mark Cubans mouth. What possible deals could the Mavs make to better their roster and fit their needs? With Chris Kaman, Dahntay Jones, Darren Collison, Roddy Beaubois, Elton Brand, Dominique Jones, and Brandan Wright all on one-year deals, and the team less than $2 million over the salary cap, there's certainly some flexibility.

Lebron's Hairline
Lebron's Hairline's picture
Who knows maybe they are

Who knows maybe they are throwing their hat in the Rudy Gay ring? Dallas doesn't have any attractive pieces or draft picks to swing a deal so I'm guessing Mark Cubans words dont have much weight on them

kingofbums
i can see calderon being

i can see calderon being moved to dallas along with ed davis (if the raps are still willing to part ways with him) but i cant see what the mavs can give in return. im saying calderon because they have been having pg issues. it would be fun to see how the fans react though if VC were to come back to the raptors. i just have this hunch that VC wants back in toronto to finish off his career so he can retire his number...it comes from the random comment by sam mitchell months ago about VC actually wanting to stay as if to convince the fans he wasnt a big douche.

Brew Meister Smith
Brew Meister Smith's picture
Vince might want back in

Vince might want back in Toronto, but everyone there knows he is not welcome. Don't know why he does not seem to get that. Plus TO is not in the market for has-beens.

Calderon would be a good fit in Dallas right now. Would really work well with Dirk on the pick and roll. However his being traded is not a done deal. If they think they have a real shot at the playoffs by the deadline he stays for sure. If not I'd say there is a good 60% chance he is traded to the highest bidder.

I don't see the raps parting so easily with Davis at this point either. His stock is definately higher now than it was at the beginning of the season. It would have to be for a solid long term guy, not someone on a one year deal, like most players on the Mavs.

220's picture
As JJeff6 said "With Chris

As JJeff6 said "With Chris Kaman, Dahntay Jones, Darren Collison, Roddy Beaubois, Elton Brand, Dominique Jones, and Brandan Wright all on one-year deals" they have a good chance to get a good player from a team in a bad cap situation or a team that wants to rebuild. Expiring contracts certainly help to make deals happen.

I could especially see a playoff team that lacks size trying to make a deal for one of those big guys and Darren Collison's speed and defensive ability would likely be attractive for some playoff teams as well.

Hitster
Hitster's picture
Dallas will have cap space

Dallas will have cap space this summer although a lot could depend on what Mayo does and how much Dallas will be prepared to pay him. His option of $4 million is likely to be at least doubled on his next contract. A lot will depend on what Dallas and Mark Cuban's thinking is, I'd guess they would be looking to try and land at least one of two top names over the next few years.

Dirk will no doubt remain with the team but will not be seen as the person to entice top FA's with the chance to form a top duo or trio with Dirk, his role will be more complimentary as the top FA's will be looking beyond the logical end of Dirk's NBA career maybe. Dirk is still a top player but turns 35 this summer and with a top FA looking over the next 4 years say then Dirk may not figure that strongly in their thinking.

CP3, D12 and the Miami trio will all be FA's this year or next and Dallas will no doubt try to target one or more of them but without a top younger running mate or having the chance to offer the enhanced contract the players' existing team then it will be harder for Dallas.

But below the elite guys mentioned above there are other top FA's such as Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap etc who Dallas could target. Rudy Gay remains a possiblilty but I would guess Dallas would hold fire to the summer to at least see what this year's FA's do.

The one thing we know about Dallas is that Mark Cuban and Donnie Nelson will make deals, be it moving up the draft or via a big trade. Personally I could see Dallas maybe looking to do something with their expiring deals to maybe nab a pick or a younger piece before the trade deadline and then use these to assit a bigger deal further down the road.

Brew Meister Smith
Brew Meister Smith's picture
The Celtics would be somewhat

The Celtics would be somewhat interested in Kaman, should they not find a big somewhere else. I'd be leaning towards Gortat if I were the Cs, but Kaman has shown interest in Boston before, and could likely be presuaded to re-up when the contract is done.

bdiddy5115
Getting Gay would hurt Mayo,

Getting Gay would hurt Mayo, as the two clearly didn't make each other better in MEM.

Don't look now but Dallas is slowly getting it together. Dirk is getting back, and Mayo is out of his slump. I wouldn't be shocked to see them make a win-now move, like moving 2 of DC/Kaman/Marion for Pau.

r377
r377's picture
Dirk

Dirk is still a top quality player. Their roster looks quite reasonable. I think if Dirk wasn't injured they would be in playoff contention.

They could still go on a nice run and maybe sneak into the playoffs. They are only 4 or 5 games back and have won their last 3. They have a few new players so may take some time to gel with Dirk back but they could still make the playoffs.

Cuban doesn't give up, i am sure he will be trying to do something...

RSS: Syndicate content