Magic Johnson said Brandon Knight should go 1st in 2011 Draft..

RUDEBOY_
RUDEBOY_'s picture
Magic Johnson said Brandon Knight should go 1st in 2011 Draft..

Monday on his Twitter page Basketball Legend Magic Johnson said if he had the 1st Pick in the Draft.. He would use it to select Kentucky's freshman point guard Brandon Knight..Magic knows alot about basketball ,but selecting Knight 1st is a little off base..While i think Knight will be a much better pro than some people think..I dont think you can jeopardize your job as a GM by picking him 1st..Knight should be a top 10 pick but not 1st overall..With no clear cut number 1..Whoever goes 1st this year will depend on what team likes what player...

Some of the game's greatest players know alot about the game of basketball,but some of them make poor GMs...I remember back doing the 1993 draft,Magic was on a panel that was discussing the propects for the upcoming draft..He said if he was the TWolves he would select Calbert Cheaney over Penny Hardaway becuz the TWolves already had a good point guard in Micheal Williams..Who even remembers Micheal Williams now?

Windy City Assassin
If Knight had Burks size

If Knight had Burks size there would be no doubt about him going #1

Scottoant93
Scottoant93's picture
I would take Irving over

I would take Irving over knight but knight over kemba walker.It really depends on what team gets the first pick and what play style they have.

RUDEBOY_
RUDEBOY_'s picture
Knight reminds me of Reggie Theus but a much better DEFENDER

Scottoant93
Scottoant93's picture
As for gm mistakes

MJ picks Kwame Brown #1 in 2001, and Adam morrison #3 in 2006

Yan111
Biggest mistake was Okafor

Biggest mistake was Okafor over Howard

sheltwon3
sheltwon3's picture
Honestly, Knight could wind

Honestly, Knight could wind up being the best player in this draft. With the new rules, he should be able to finish well or pull up for a mid range shot. Right now he appears to be in the Westbrook or JRue Holiday role and if he can be anything close to them at his size as a point guard, he should go number 1. Magic giving his endorsements doesn't mean anything though and right now Irving would be the safer pick but Knight should be over Kemba because of upside unless Kemba is 6'1" and Knight measures out smaller than 6'3"

apb540
apb540's picture
I am a huge Knight fan but....

I do not agree with Magic on this one. I think Knight is a proven winner who has a great outside shot, awesome control of his team in the half court, can defend, and gets to the hoop well. With that being said, I don't see why Knight would be picked ahead of Barnes or Irving. Barnes has unlimited potential and Irving looked really good in the short amount of time he had to show his stuff (not that Knight didn't look good in his own regard.)

If the draft order stayed the same as it is now, the highest I think Knight would go is 4 to the Kings. Him and Evans would be an awesome combo.

BKKnicksfan
BKKnicksfan's picture
Knight reminds me of Reggie

Knight reminds me of Reggie Theus but a much better DEFENDER

What?

apb540
apb540's picture
lol

I believe Reggie Theus was like 6-6 or 6-7. Just a tad taller than Knight

The lake show2
The lake show2's picture
The thing is you can't go by

The thing is you can't go by hindsite. At the time Calbert was very good and expected to become a all star.

Kwame Brown had actually dominated Curry and Tyson Chandler in workouts and was a big 6'11 kid with skills that many other GM's would have taken number 1

Adam Morrison was also a player Many GM's would have taken number 1. I dont recall a bunch of post by anyone on here or anyother site when some of those players were drafted where they were drafted

lalaila
lalaila's picture
i really like Knight and i

i really like Knight and i really think he can end uip better than Kyrie..but he is not #1.if Kyrie will become as good as most of us think he could then he is number one, but i have a feeling that Kyrie could also end up something like 5th best while Knight's ceiling is top5 material too..with guys like Harrison,Perry,Enes,Derrick better.

The Captain
The Captain's picture
I saw John Wall in person in

I saw John Wall in person in the tournament last year in Syracuse, and Brandon Knight in person in the tournament this year in Tampa.. I think Brandon Knight is much better college player than John Wall was, and it might make for an easier transition into the NBA. Knight's jump shot is so much better than Wall's was. Wall's inability to make a jump shot against West Virginia last year was the reason why they lost. If Brandon Knight is the point guard of that team, it might have been a different result. Everyone talks about Brandon Knight's work ethic, and obviously that will transfer over to the NBA. I think Knight is the best point guard prospect in the draft this year.

apb540
apb540's picture
Yan111

The biggest mistake was you not knowing that Dwight Howard was the number 1 overal pick.

Costy15
Costy15's picture
Okafor wasnt taken over

Okafor wasnt taken over Howard

Dale Worthington
Dale Worthington's picture
sheltwon, what are the new

sheltwon, what are the new rules?

cyclo
Knight

Magic has seen them all play and would take Knight over Irving, Walker and Fredette (whom Magic also likes).

Who knows?

Maybe Knight will end up the better player.

Pre-draft rankings always end up wrong when it's all said and done, so maybe Magic is right.

andxxx
andxxx's picture
He could be but watching him

He could be but watching him and comparing him to Irving someone will have to explain to me how they have Knight over Irving and Knight will not be nearly as good as Wall yeah he'll be solid but not as good

The lake show2
The lake show2's picture
Its all a personal preference

Its all a personal preference and Magic perfers Knight.

andxxx
andxxx's picture
Well I can see it in that

Well I can see it in that regard

apb540
apb540's picture
Knight

Just cuz Knight doesn't always make amazing highlight plays doesn't mean he isn't going to be a great PG. I am a hugggge Wall fan but Knight def has a chance to be better due to all the reasons people have listed above. His highlights on SC are game-winners...

sheltwon3
sheltwon3's picture
I was talking about the new

I was talking about the new rules in regards to point guards. I mean it has been around for a while but you noticed that a lot of young point guard with good to great speed, are doing well because getting to the basket is easier with no hand check rules and that area in the paint rule well they can go in with no charge if contact is made. Knight has a very good mid range game. There are a tons of NBA guys that don't have a mid range game. This part of Knight's game should open up a lot lanes to the basket. I have watched a lot of NBA game and the shots that Knight are very good at are almost always available especially on pick and role players. The paint defender tend to go to the basket leaving mid range shots readily available.

The lake show2
The lake show2's picture
He is prefect for the pick

He is prefect for the pick and role. Playoff teams are hoping he drops

QBNYK108
QBNYK108's picture
Could be the best player in the draft class

Honestly, who knows what the lottery is going to look like at this point. If I'm a GM I still believe that Harrison Barnes is the most worthy of the number 1 pick but if Knight leads his team to an NCAA championship, who is to say that he shouldn't be in consideration?

The best thing that he's done lately is prove that he can command a team, and can be a floor general as opposed to translating as more of a shooting guard in the NBA. If Kentucky can win the championship, his stock will only rise, and once it becomes time for workouts, the guy is going to kill it because he's a great kid and a great athlete.

At this moment right now I'm not ready to say that he should go number one, but a few more victories in this tournament and a few more clutch performances can definitely help him get to that point

rapsfan52
Raptors

As a raptors fan, if im Bryan Colangelo, im doing everything I can to get this kid if Kyrie Irving isnt available when we pick. Kyrie obviously being the prize, but id be exstatic to have knight be available at the 4-6 range. Pairing him with derozan and ed davis, gives us 3 solid chips to build around. At this point for the raps, I think its kyrie, knight or bust. Some of you may not agree with me, but harrison barnes is either staying in school or will be gone by the time we pick, and even though im not completely sold on Derrick Willliams, I believe he will be gone by the time we pick also.

Dale Worthington
Dale Worthington's picture
John Wall is dropping 16 and

John Wall is dropping 16 and 8.6 as a rookie.

He could be 25 and 10 in his prime...Knight doesn't even come close to touching Wall.

Not a knock on Knight...Wall is just that good. A prodigious talent.

cyclo
OMG

This has nothing to do with Wall.

Magic was referring to this year's draft.

He said he would take Knight #1 over Irving, Williams, Barnes, Walker, Fredette, etc.

The Scare Crow ...
i would take Knight over Ky too, but since Everyone loves Irving

I'd assume people would take what Magic the wrong way...any one want to explain why Irving is a better NBA player than Knight?...I've been saying from day 1 there are 3 big time players in this draft ( Perry Jones, Brandon Knight and Harrison Barnes will be All Star Caliber players, Irving as the ability to become a Great as well, Williams, Burks, Kanter and T.Jones are very much good prospects too...I just have this sense from watching the game over 15 years that Perry will be an LA type Pf the first few years of his career(hang on the perimeter and slowly become an all star Pf...Knight will have a Great rookie year and if teamed with the right young big man will become a dangerous 1A or 1B player, I just see a lot of promise there, he could be a 20 and 8 guy ala Marbury( without the baggage and selfishness )...Barnes will be a offensive lock for 20 points a game in a few years, even if he's more like Loul Deng than Rudy Gay he'll be a fine selection in the top 3, Kanter could be a stud Forward or Center...I have a strange feeling about Kanter, he will produce from day one...

moochiee
What is Willis talking about

What is Willis talking about

RSS: Syndicate content