Lakers-Kings 2002...

TarHeelRaven
TarHeelRaven's picture
Lakers-Kings 2002...

Great Grantland read-up on espn.com abou the 2002 Western conference finals between the Lakers and the Kings. Great quotes from players and coaches. This series had absolutely everything, animosity, hate and theories on intentional food poisoning of Kobe Bryant's bacon cheeseburger. We all remember Horry's game winning three at the end of game four in the Staples Center that tied the series 2-2/ One of if not the greatest playoff series in NBA history.

Make'Em Say UGH
Make'Em Say UGH's picture
Definitely my favorite of all

Definitely my favorite of all times. I remember being in middle school, wearing my Kings jersey, watching that Horry buzzer beater! Heart-broken, I went outside and started throwing rocks...lol Nothing has since evoked such strong emotions. The NBA needs another 'true' rivalry like this one.

Jr. ROXAS
Jr. ROXAS's picture
Unfortunately, there won't

Unfortunately, there won't be. If there were to be another one, there won't be as much bad blood as the teams in the past. Now that the NBA is soft as hell, where no one could even butt heads with a player without getting thrown out and where semi-hard fouls will meritt a suspension, players could not express their hate for one another except through social media lol.

I miss those series like Miami vs NYK, NYK vs Indy or Chicago vs Detroit where the players absolutely hated each other. Hard-nosed, tough guy teams like NYK and Detroit make the series so much more interesting, back then where players hard fouls were a part of a team's identtity. Now, talking trash or even just taunting a player will get you technical fouls or ejections man smh..

Ihateusernames
Ihateusernames's picture
Honestly you can't say there

Honestly you can't say there won't be another rivalry like that. People were saying the nba was soft back in ''02.

Truth is rivalries like this jus kind of happen organically without beings scripted. The lakers and kings met in the playoffs 3 straight years which leads to the hostility you saw back then.

Pacers/heat this year could be a doozy if the pacers make it. Those two have got to be sick of each other by now

TarHeelRaven
TarHeelRaven's picture
You're right eddy.....the nba

You're right eddy.....the nba is too buddy buddy now. Where's the hate?

llperez
llperez's picture
Awesome article, great

Awesome article, great memories. The kings were up 2-1 and had a 24 point first half lead in game 4. I just knew the lakers were gonna lose the series. Was so mad watching game 4. Then they came back and horry's, right there with fish's 0.4 shot

Ihateusernames
Ihateusernames's picture
All the "hateful" series were

All the "hateful" series were teams that played multiple playoff series against each other

TenSecondTom
As Great As The Rivalry Was

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3436401

It was partially manufactured by the NBA. Game 6 was a complete joke as far as officiating goes and the Kings were robbed of a Western Conference Championship.

llperez
llperez's picture
You should read the article

You should read the article and how game 5 was lopsided officiating for the kings in a 1 point game including 3 missed calls in the final seconds including Bobby Jackson admitting he fouled Kobe on the final shot. Even the sac media admits it's weird nobody remembers how poorly officiated that game was. Vlade only picking up 2 fouls and shaq only shooting 1 ft the whole game. The way I see it, games 5 and 6 cancel out.

RSS: Syndicate content