Kyle Anderson coming on strong for UCLA, possible 2013 first rounder?

llperez
llperez's picture
Kyle Anderson coming on strong for UCLA, possible 2013 first rounder?

This kid got off to a real rough start on the season and looked nowhere close to a one and done guy. But this past month, he is looking better and better every game helping lead the UCLA Bruins resurgence with 10 straight wins and, all bias aside, the bruins are playing the best ball right now of anyone in the pac 12.

Here's what Anderson has done in the 5-0 start to conference play:

12.8ppg...10.2rpg...2.8apg...58%fg...2 of 3 from three and 20 of 21 ft's

He's starting to show some of that craftiness off the dribble getting by guys like he struggled doing in the past.

So if he enters this years draft, where do you see him going?

Hale
Hale's picture
Before the year I was a fan

Before the year I was a fan of his, and while I've cooled on him, I'm intrigued on his ability to be a PF and be a playmaker. I'd probably take him somewhere in the late 1st.

Lebron's Hairline
Lebron's Hairline's picture
If he's seen as a first

If he's seen as a first rounder in the 2014 mock, then no doubt he will be one in 2013; the guys just unique

goodsonthe
Boris Diaw

Boris Diaw

M.Garvey
M.Garvey's picture
Slo-Mo needs to get stronger

Slo-Mo needs to get stronger and shoot from the perimeter better but he has a lot of tools, he should stay at least one more year.

Chilbert arenas
Chilbert arenas's picture
He really needs to spend some

He really needs to spend some time in the weight room and work with their strength and conditioning coach Brent Tanaka. I actually used to be a strength and conditioning intern with Brent at LMU in 2010. But with Joshua Smith not stealing Kyles food he can finally start adding that much needed weight.

Siggy
I'd like to see how his body

I'd like to see how his body would respond to tightening up and becoming leaner. He's not sloppy or anything, but he looks like he has absolutely no definition or muscle tone at all.
It'll likely happen concurrently, but I'd like to see him improve his conditioning before bulking up. He's already listed at 235, which isn't a bad weight, but I'd still like to see how getting leaner would improve his athleticism.

Mr. 19134
Mr. 19134's picture
Ive always been a big fan of

Ive always been a big fan of slow mo since Nova was recruiting him, Savon Goodman and Amile Jefferson. They were all close from playing AAU.

Its important to note that Anderson works as hard as anybody in the country on his game and conditioning. Hell never be lean and muscular its not his body type.

Strange enough his body type resembles who his game resembles in Diaw and Odom. I think he has most potential at PF. If he can add rangge he could become like Hedo at the next level. I think he goes in the top 20 this year.

Lindsey
Hedo's actuaslly a great

Hedo's actuaslly a great comparable for him.

llperez
llperez's picture
wow, anderson is balling

wow, anderson is balling right now vs oregon. Best he's loked yet. Doug gottleb just said he is a better pro prospect then shabazz, dont know about that but its fun to see anderson play like this. 6 points, 4 reounds and 4 assists to start

Mr. 19134
Mr. 19134's picture
Yeah he called Bazz a 6'5 SF

Yeah he called Bazz a 6'5 SF who caant play guard which I dont disagree with but id still take Bazz #1 at this point.

I love Anderson but hes not Bazz. I think Anderson is a top 10 talent but hes the type of player a coach has to kno how to usee. I thought he made a terrible mistake by going to UCLA cuz hed look better at a place like UNLV where he could run and push the tempo. But UCLA is playing much much faster this year and Slo Mo gas made it a seemless transition.

He got good shot mechanics and itll start falling.

Siggy
Not sure how many UCLA games

Not sure how many UCLA games you've watched this year but they've been running and pushing the tempo all year.

Mr. 19134
Mr. 19134's picture
Not sure you read my whole

Not sure you read my whole post, I said initially I thought Kyle made a big mistake, but went on to say UCLA is playing faster. I thought Kyle would do better in an uptempo offense and so did Howland cuz hes letting them push the pace. This is the quickest I can remenber them plaaying since they had Collison, Russ, Love, Luc and Shipp.

Siggy
My bad. I just read up to

My bad. I just read up to that point. I really don't think it'd matter what kind of tempo the team played at. Kyle has the game to play either uptempo or halfcourt game. He actually gained a lot of recognition playing for Coach Hurley and his St Anthony's squad, who played one of the most structured halfcourt offenses in the HS ranks.
I actually think a halfcourt game suits his strengths more. He's made a lot of mistakes in the open floor with the timing of his passes and not getting rid of the ball early enough.

llperez
llperez's picture
gottlieb also said bazz is

gottlieb also said bazz is lazy on defense. I cant disagree with that more. He is improving on defense, but he leaves it out there and takes that end very seriously.

Anyways, anderson on his way to a triple double. 6/6/6 at the half. Also he had an espn top 10 pass in the first half where he threw a 50 foot off the dribble bounce pass between two defenders hitting norman powell on the run.

FastAndFurious
FastAndFurious's picture
Im watching the UCLA vs

Im watching the UCLA vs Oregon game, and I don't like Anderson much, but he is very productive has 6/6/6 aeady, very very slow, but gets the job done.

BTW, Dominic Artis is a pretty good guard, what's some of yall take on him?

Mr. 19134
Mr. 19134's picture
Why dont u like KA? Is it

Why dont u like KA? Is it his lack of athleticism?

Mr. 19134
Mr. 19134's picture
Kyle Anderson is 6'9 and is

Kyle Anderson is 6'9 and is really nimble for his height. No hes not the most athletic but hes not Brook Lopez unathletic either.

I like comparing him to Hedo who got the same size and athleticism but gets it done. Id argue that Anderson is even more athletic then Diaw.

And them 3/4 court threaded bounce passes are his signature. My fav pass was gis backdoor pass to Powell it was a lightning fast read and a great touch pass it should of been an oop finish.

And wat a play by Bazz on that steal and pass but the foul occured on the pass.
If Anderson stays I think he cann average 15 ppg, 11 rpg, and 7 apg playing full time point next year he has that type of potential.

sggga
I think he goes in the top 20

I think he goes in the top 20 this year.

llperez
llperez's picture
ucla looking bad on offense

ucla looking bad on offense right now. drew is struggling and bazz isnt getting enough touches.

FastAndFurious
FastAndFurious's picture
I dont like Kyle because he

I dont like Kyle because he doesnt have any flair or anything just a basic player, not a knock on him, but I dont watch UCLA to watch Kyle Anderson, I watch it to Watch Shabazz Muhammad....catch my drift?

Mr. 19134
Mr. 19134's picture
Yeah except I think Kyle has

Yeah except I think Kyle has sneaky flair. His passes got flair and he got a nice handle for his size.

Once Kyle starts being able to knock down 3s hes gonna take his game to another level cuz hell be able to easily shoot over the defense and bigs wont be able to guard him off the dribble.

The more I watch Bazz the more I see Latrel Sprewell in him.

This Dotson guy is a player.

Siggy
Shabazz doesn't have the

Shabazz doesn't have the quickness/ first step of Sprewell. Spree was lightning quick.

Mr. 19134
Mr. 19134's picture
Yes this true, and Spre also

Yes this true, and Spre also had better handles and hops. But theyre both 6'5ish SFs who played bigger due to a long wingspan, and they got a similar attacking style on offense.

Siggy
Don't you think that's a huge

Don't you think that's a huge difference though?
Spree didn't even have a good handle. He had a very weak off-hand, but he didn't even need a great handle because his first step was so explosive. Shabazz is gonna have to find another to be effective off the bounce because his first step is lacking.

Mr. 19134
Mr. 19134's picture
Theres a difference I dont

Theres a difference I dont think its huge. And ur right about the weak off hand which is Bazz problem too. I think Bazz build and power will enable him to get by defenders and hes shown that he can get his shot off in traffic easier then most. Cuzsome people have the first step to get in the lane but cant finish once theyre there. I think thats what reminds me of Spre is the way he ggets his shots off in traffic.

FastAndFurious
FastAndFurious's picture
Mr. 19134

O naw, dont get it twisted, Kyle Anderson is a special player no question, he just doesn't excite me, that's all im saying, if Kyle Anderson and Archie Goodwin come on the same time I'd probably watch Archie, that's all im saying.

Mr. 19134
Mr. 19134's picture
I get exactly what ur saying.

I get exactly what ur saying. For example do u realize how hard it was to watch the Sixers after they traded AI for Andre Miller?

Im usually the same way, like I hate watching GTown games and even tho I went to Temple id rather watch Villanovas brand of ball.

But at the same time I love watching Kyle play because hes so unique.

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
Will say

Doug Gottlied is crazy for saying that Kyle is a better NBA prospect than Shabazz. That guy is always out there, usually obnoxiously so, but that was too much. I for one believe Kyle will be a NBA player, just feel that he should find himself in college before going to the NBA. He will not be running point and I think NBA scouts were baffled as to where exactly to put him on the court. Especially defensively, who exactly will he stay in front of on the wing? He has been at the 4 spot this year for UCLA and is struggling their as well on the defensive end.

Staying and refining his skills, maybe even transitioning to the 4 spot might be a really good idea. He obviously has a skill set that on the offensive side of the ball that is desirable, he is a solid passer, can handle a bit and is great at changing speeds. His lack of top shelf quickness will hurt and he has yet to show much range this season. Would really like to see him take another year or two trying to find his future position. If he can get a tad leaner, which would more than likely help him athletically, than he could translate to the three spot. Still feel Shabazz has a much more translatable game to the NBA and his scoring ability along with much more lateral speed than Slo-Mo make him a much better prospect in the long term.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
kyle anderson reminds me of a

kyle anderson reminds me of a less athletic earl clark

RSS: Syndicate content