Kings to be sold to Seattle Group for $500 mil?

XYRYX
XYRYX's picture
Kings to be sold to Seattle Group for $500 mil?

Please do this! Free this franchise from the Maloofs and give back a team to the Seattle Fans!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/maloofs-nearing-deal-to-sell-kings-to-group...

CodySLC
CodySLC's picture
esperanzafleet69
esperanzafleet69's picture
i very HIGHLY doubt that this

i very HIGHLY doubt that this team will be in seattle for a while.. remember if a team moves it has to be approved by the nba and the commish (adam silver now?). Remember when the maloofs tried to move the kings to anaheim? they couldn't because the nba said that the kings franchise is in HUGE debt to the city of sacramento. who knows, maybe chris hansen will just pay em off.. but i remember this being a gigantic amount of money..

randomly pulled this from google.

"Finally, on May 2, 2011, the NBA put a halt to the move to Anaheim, California because the current bills that were owed to the city of Sacramento, California gave the city just cause to keep them in Sacramento."

BasketBalAllan
BasketBalAllan's picture
1. The nba has stated its

1. The nba has stated its support for the ownership group in Seattle and for having a team there in the future.

2. The debt owed to the city of Sac is around $70 mil, I think, which I doubt wll be a sticking point to this ownership group.

3. With a new arena being built in Seattle and the arena deal in Sac having died, the NBA will probably support the move, possibly even loaning money towards and debt payment.

Sewok15
Sewok15's picture
My question is do they bring

My question is do they bring back the awesomeness that was the Seattle Supersonics?

220's picture
How could they not? The

How could they not? The ownership group certainly wants to look like the saviors who brought the team back and there would be no better way to do that than to bring the team name back as well. I'm almost certain they'll be the Seattle Supersonics as soon as they move.

Kayjay
Kayjay's picture
My heart

Goes out to all the fans living in Sacramento. I am Kings fan, but I live in LA. So I'll still be waiting for this ship to turn around while they play in Seattle. However I'm hoping they don't change the name to the "Seattle SuperSonics." I'm not a fan of the Sonic's, so if the Kings name changes to that, I more than likely won't be a fan of that team any longer. Call it petty, but they could atleast keep the name or change it to Royals or something.

All in all the Maloof era finally ends. Their neglecting of the team and their reluctance to put a quality product on the basketball floor will peg them as one of the worst owners in basketball history.

TallmanNYC
TallmanNYC's picture
Remember how the owners cried

Remember how the owners cried poverty so they stopped basketball for months? And yet their most dysfunctional franchise with only the most limited amount of contracted talent (Cousins is nice, but beyond that the rest of the guys are pretty much run of the mill) is able to be sold for $500 million. And while the current CBA helps, I bet the Kings would have gone for $400 million at least under the old CBA. Those cries of poverty were all lies. And they get exposed every time a franchise gets sold.

Bostonkings
Bostonkings's picture
): As a Kings fan if this

): As a Kings fan if this team moves to Seattle I will be upset for a good while. But the Maloof's have no business owning this team, and the sooner that organization is off their hands the better.

220's picture
My condolences go out to you

My condolences go out to you and all other Kings fans, especially the ones from Sacramento. There can't be many things worse for an NBA fan to lose their team especially when its nearby their home.

WizKid
WizKid's picture
So Seattle cried about okc

So Seattle cried about okc stealing their team but they will gladly steal from another city???

phila9012
Seattle gave up a developing

Seattle gave up a developing team with durant and westbrook who was drafted the year the moved for the kings, the most disfunctional team there is in the NBA. That was a bad trade for seattle. I still have sympathy for them because when they were sold they sucked and had finally gotten a great player in durant, when they moved to OKC.

Jordo
Anyone else really happy the

Anyone else really happy the Maloof don't own an NBA franchise?

The8thDeadlySin
The8thDeadlySin's picture
I hope they bring back the

I hope they bring back the Super Sonics!!

Lebron's Hairline
Lebron's Hairline's picture
Having this currents kings

Having this currents kings roster as the first return of the sonics is a dishonor

TheArtistPaysth...
TheArtistPaysthePrice's picture
This is bittersweet at best.........

I mean Sacramento has great fans but Seattle deserves a NBA franchise. The Maloofs don't deserve 500 million and I hate they will make so much off a deal. People were throwing out numbers no higher than 350 million. I'm pretty sure that they leveraged or borrowed against probably the whole 500 million. D@mn Maloofs still came out on top. Plus now Cousin's won't be moved and the lunacy is over. Some lucky team was about to hit a better lick than when the Lakers made off with Gasol. Tyreke doesn't have a shot at getting a big deal now, he may be the first quality player to play out his qualifying year on his rookie contract.

Siggy
As much as I loathe the

As much as I loathe the Maloofs, I gotta say that they played their hand right and got exactly what they wanted. They were in no financial situation to own a team. They lied and acted like they were going to keep the team in Sac, only to turn down a deal that would cost them a few mill. They had no intention of keeping the Kings in Sac and in the end sold the team for much more than it was worth.

Sucks for the people of Sacramento. It hasn't been the case for a few years, but for a long time they had to be the most dedicated fans in the NBA, consistently selling out games even when they weren't good. The Arco used to be rockin.

TheArtistPaysth...
TheArtistPaysthePrice's picture
And on top of that, the Maloofs may be handicapping

the Seattle group,by selling it so high. The higher the price, the more likely they will be concerned with hiring the best "capologist" instead of talent evaluators. Seattle may be looking at a lot of lottery picks in the future if they decide to blow this Kings team up. I believe it has talent though and if their assets are managed right they could construct a good team out of this roster. Especially seeing how the OKC team that left soared to the top off very low lottery selections in 3 consecutive years.

BasketBalAllan
BasketBalAllan's picture
I am so mixed emotions about

I am so mixed emotions about this. I am fairly certain that if this happens the city of Sac will move to keep the Kings name, like what Seattle did, and we will see the return of the Sonics. This is sad for the City of Sac but at least the Maloofs will finally be out of the nba picture. With them running the show Sac might as well have not had a team. I think that Seattle is a city that Kings fans can at least feel is worthy of having back its team. My loyalties I suppose will follow onto Seattle, if this does indeed happen, though I will be dissapointed in having to support a team whose colors are two of the three most unpleasant bodily fluids.

aarondsonixfan
As a Former Sonics fan, I

As a Former Sonics fan, I feel terrible that it had to turn out this way. Although I am happy to get an NBA team back, I hate that we had to steal a team from such a great fanbase as Sacremento has, as this was the only team in their city. I hate that we had to do the same to you guys of what happened to us with OKC stealing our team. I'm terribly sorry Sacremento fans, and I really mean it.

Chrispy
Chrispy's picture
Yeah, weird situation

It must be weird for Seattle fans, as they have longed for a franchise since the Sonics were snatched from them That city is a GREAT basketball town, far underrated in terms of grass-roots quality and overall passion for the game. However, it must be bittersweet for fans like you and most of my family in the greater Seattle area to get a franchise the same way one was taken from you. Sacramento spent YEARS as one of the best-selling ticket franchises in the league. I can't remember what the sell-out streak was, but it was impressive. Shame what $$$ money and the desire for Millionaire/billionaire owners to pass of arena and team improvements on the tax-payer does to sports. If this goes through, is this a pyrrhic victory with the league finally shooting itself in the foot by allowing owners to take cities hostage?

Hitster
Hitster's picture
Like most people on here, I'm

Like most people on here, I'm pleased for Seattle fans but feel sorry for the Sac-Town fans who are among the most passionate in the NBA and the City will potentially have no major sports teams now. It will be hard for the move to be rejected if funding is in place as we know there is a market there and after losing their 40 year plus franchise it's not like Seattle are some new city trying to steal a team away.

The new arena is the focal point of the deal but the Key Arena can be used in the meantime, it's good the Maloofs will no longer be owners but again there will be sympathy for the people of Sacramento and especially Kevin Johnson who really fought to try and retain the team.

The sad thing for the Kings fans is that with no new owners wanting to keep the team in the city then there chances of getting any other team to relocate there seem slim and likewise any expansion franchise would need financial backing which hasn't been forthcoming yet.

SportsNinja
I think we should chill for a

I think we should chill for a bit. Remember when the Kings were going to Anaheim? Remember when they were going to get a new arena? Remember when they were going to Virginia Beach?
Not saying it won't happen, but a lot of people are acting as if it already has happened. From what am reading, it is not even close to a done deal. Sacramento has fought for this team in the past, and will continue to do so.

I don't think they'll move.

Hitster
Hitster's picture
The Seattle project looks

The Seattle project looks legit, the Anaheim one had issues with it being close to 3 other existing NBA teams if I recall. I can see Mayor Johnson maybe putting up a big fight to keep the team and maybe using his NBA connections to try and lobby for the team to stay there if it goes to the vote. But with the plans in place and no new owners likely on the Sacramento area then he'll have a uphill battle.

RUDEBOY_
RUDEBOY_'s picture
(No subject)

Image Hosted by UploadHouse.com

RSS: Syndicate content