Josh Selby - 2012 Summer League Co-MVP to Summer League Bum

slash787
Josh Selby - 2012 Summer League Co-MVP to Summer League Bum

Last year everyone was excited about Josh Selby's potential after a great summer league MVP performance. He didn't do much last season and now on the Lakers Summer League roster he has barely gotten off the bench and when he has he hasn't done much. You obviously can't call a second round pick a bust but is it safe to say that he will never amount to more than a quality back up spark plug off the bench as opposed to a quality starter?

AirMcLemore
AirMcLemore's picture
You can't call a second round pick a bust...

But you can call someone who was a top 3 ranked recruit coming out of high school a bust, and Josh Selby was that.

slash787
I cannot argue that. He is

I cannot argue that. He is not a bust relative to his draft position but can certainly be considered a bust if you take into account the pedigree he had coming out of high school. He would have been best served by staying in school for another year or two.

AirMcLemore
AirMcLemore's picture
Even though I say that, I

Even though I say that, I wouldn't say his chances in the league are over. He has talent. A ton of it. He doesn't fit into a team concept. To shine he needs to be a main piece of a team. Selby should have stayed another year at KU to get his draft stock back up. Some of us forget that he got injured through his freshman year after averaging 20+ PPG through about 4 or 5 games. He wasn't the same when he came back, and didn't get the playing time he got before his injury. I'm rooting for Josh as a Jayhawk fan, but he really needed to stay another year in college.

slash787
I agree I think he can be a

I agree I think he can be a Nate Robinson type player off the bench that brings a ton of energy and scoring. I hope he fulfills his potential but I am very surprised that he hasn't done anything to this point in the summer league when compared to last year he was tearing it up.

Chilbert arenas
Chilbert arenas's picture
His experience at Kansas was

His experience at Kansas was not a good one so no one expected him to be there for multiples years. I don't know if it wasn't a good fit or he just wasn't interested in playing college ball in general. The summer before his freshman season I asked him "one and done?" and his response was "6 months and done"

AirMcLemore
AirMcLemore's picture
Also, he was suspended from

Also, he was suspended from his first 7 or 8 games in his freshman season, he never fit with that Kansas team, he may have been thrown off by that suspension.

Siggy
I think he's a kid who would

I think he's a kid who would benefit greatly from playing overseas. He's got the tools with his quickness, strength and explosiveness. He's got the skill as far as shooting and slashing, some playmaking, but his floor game sucks. He's a talent who doesn't know how to insert himself into games within the team concept. He doesn't necessarily have to make the transition to the PG position, but he does need to improve his floor game and I think he'd make more progress playing overseas (obviously depending on what league he'd play in...like NOT China) as opposed to playing in the D-League. The D-League is more of a place to showcase ability, where a player can show out, play a ton of minutes and put up great numbers on pure talent. But overseas, it doesn't matter how talented a player is, if he doesn't buy into the team concept and play with a certain level of efficiency, then the coach will put in someone who will.

Chilbert arenas
Chilbert arenas's picture
Didn't he also have a stress

Didn't he also have a stress fracture in his foot?

FastAndFurious
FastAndFurious's picture
The talent is def there, he

The talent is def there, he just needs to be tha focal point of a offense to succeed and hes not that good to be that in the NBA.

rileymcshea3
rileymcshea3's picture
I remember last year everyone

I remember last year everyone was hyping him up for doing good in summer and saying he will replace OJ Mayo and be better, then I got negged for saying he would never be as good as Mayo....SMH

surve
surve's picture
He may not be as good as Mayo

He may not be as good as Mayo but I wouldnt say he couldnt be. Its like everyone here is saying...he doesnt know how to insert himself into the game. He is basically a streetballer. If he can get his IQ up and understand the game...you will see a more valuable player to his team. He needs to make himself a multi-threat, right now he is a predictable one-man show. If he learns how to work off his bigs he will be a good player.

BothTeamsPlayedHard
BothTeamsPlayedHard's picture
It says nothing. Memphis had

It says nothing. Memphis had an investment in Josh Selby last summer. The Grizzlies only had three players from their "main" roster on their summer league team, and Jeremy Pargo only played twice. Not surprisingly, those three, despite all being point or combo guards, accounted for 42 percent of the shots. While a team is going to want to get a look at the free agents and invites, it is the guys with the roster spot that are going to be featured. This summer, Selby went to the Lakers as just another free agent, not a guy with a guaranteed contract. It is a different situation entirely. Instead of having a coach say, "Go out there and show us what you can do" (knowing that he hasn't played with anyone else on the court before or probably will again) is vastly different from a coach saying "If you want to get an invite to training camp with us, we are looking to see if you can do A, B, and C in our system."

RSS: Syndicate content