This topic contains 38 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar nateval 9 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
    rope
    Participant

Does seem like the smartest way to rehab a foot – either the weight gain or the attitude.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/236299/Joel-Embiid-Now-Weighs-300-Pounds-76ers-Concerned-With-His-Work-Ethic

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20150118_Inside_the_Sixers__Questions_surround_Embiid_s_conditioning__maturity.html

RealGM is good at making headlines and getting the most "story worthy" part of the article. They also give a link to the actual article or source from which they got it from. You can cite that you got something from RealGM and sometimes they do have original content as well, but it is probably best to read the original article rather than the little bit which RealGM outlines.

What I am guessing is that Joel is going through a really tough time. I have never been through rehabilitation myself, though I know it is not at all an easy process. His younger brother passing away and his family being so far away does not make things easier. His current condition does not seem to be the best news you can get, though the odds of his playing this season was already slim to nil.

Embiid has a lot of time to get back into it and hopefully, with a guy like Luc Richard Mbah a Moute giving him guidance, he gets it together. Hearing he is near 300 pounds may be disheartening and he will have a way to go to get back in shape.

Still, a lot of people gain weight during the rehabilitation process. Never want to hear 40-50 pounds, can’t be good for his foot. Not the sort of thing where you just roll with it and hope he adapts, he will have to lose the weight. It will take time, but he is a 20-year old kid dealing with a difficult situation. Obviously not news you want to hear, would not write him off yet. Just may take him a while longer than once believed.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20150118_Inside_the_Sixers__Questions_surround_Embiid_s_conditioning__maturity.html

RealGM is good at making headlines and getting the most "story worthy" part of the article. They also give a link to the actual article or source from which they got it from. You can cite that you got something from RealGM and sometimes they do have original content as well, but it is probably best to read the original article rather than the little bit which RealGM outlines.

What I am guessing is that Joel is going through a really tough time. I have never been through rehabilitation myself, though I know it is not at all an easy process. His younger brother passing away and his family being so far away does not make things easier. His current condition does not seem to be the best news you can get, though the odds of his playing this season was already slim to nil.

Embiid has a lot of time to get back into it and hopefully, with a guy like Luc Richard Mbah a Moute giving him guidance, he gets it together. Hearing he is near 300 pounds may be disheartening and he will have a way to go to get back in shape.

Still, a lot of people gain weight during the rehabilitation process. Never want to hear 40-50 pounds, can’t be good for his foot. Not the sort of thing where you just roll with it and hope he adapts, he will have to lose the weight. It will take time, but he is a 20-year old kid dealing with a difficult situation. Obviously not news you want to hear, would not write him off yet. Just may take him a while longer than once believed.

Gioo0120
    Participant

50 lbs gained? Woah I hope that isn’t true, thats horrific

Gioo0120
    Participant

50 lbs gained? Woah I hope that isn’t true, thats horrific

Mopgrass
    Participant

I was reading an article on Hoopsrumors on how a league guy said Embiid couldn’t exist on court with Noel and the same goes for Okafor: that they’re low post centers. With all the weight gain and their positional issues, this draft might be a good year for your team to trade for Embiid at s discount. 

Mopgrass
    Participant

I was reading an article on Hoopsrumors on how a league guy said Embiid couldn’t exist on court with Noel and the same goes for Okafor: that they’re low post centers. With all the weight gain and their positional issues, this draft might be a good year for your team to trade for Embiid at s discount. 

Lotto Stud
    Participant

Where’s RiRi when the Sixers need her to cut those calories down?

Lotto Stud
    Participant

Where’s RiRi when the Sixers need her to cut those calories down?

DukeDaSquad
    Participant

Not good to hear about him weighing so much now but the same thing happenned to Jabari during the summer before his senior year I think and it took him a while to lose the weight. As of now he has never weighed what he did before the injury but Embiid is in a better position because he can focus on basketball where as Jabari had to focus on his schooling, and college which took some time away. 

DukeDaSquad
    Participant

Not good to hear about him weighing so much now but the same thing happenned to Jabari during the summer before his senior year I think and it took him a while to lose the weight. As of now he has never weighed what he did before the injury but Embiid is in a better position because he can focus on basketball where as Jabari had to focus on his schooling, and college which took some time away. 

joe2324
    Participant

better hope you land Okafur or Towns 

joe2324
    Participant

better hope you land Okafur or Towns 

Hitster
    Participant

If he cannot work out he may well put on weigjht quite easily and a legit 7ft guy could naturally weigh 270-280lbs at playing weight in the NBA. So once he starts full physical rehab, I’d guess he’d get back to a normal playing weight. Plus at 19/20 years old anyone would not likely be at their average adult weight.

The issues with him being on the road and not playing could have been blown out of the water and I would think a rehabbing 7ft guy would not be in the best situation travelling around on a road trip.

Hopefully the Philly backroom and fitness staff can get him back into shape and give him the support he needs. Having Luc there will be good for him too!

Hitster
    Participant

If he cannot work out he may well put on weigjht quite easily and a legit 7ft guy could naturally weigh 270-280lbs at playing weight in the NBA. So once he starts full physical rehab, I’d guess he’d get back to a normal playing weight. Plus at 19/20 years old anyone would not likely be at their average adult weight.

The issues with him being on the road and not playing could have been blown out of the water and I would think a rehabbing 7ft guy would not be in the best situation travelling around on a road trip.

Hopefully the Philly backroom and fitness staff can get him back into shape and give him the support he needs. Having Luc there will be good for him too!

lalaila
    Participant

first of all.. in that short period if time when he was healthy (weeks before nba draft) he had just great workout, showing his athleticism footwork and improved skills while at the same time he measured 7’1 and 265 if im correct..so they say he is CLOSE to 300 which means he might haven’t gained 30 pounds instead of 50.

secondly, I can’t tell anything about his work ethic.. but in the guy who started play in 2011 was already at allstar games in 2013 as a raw talent with some skills and only a year later we even started to say he can be the next Hakeem, plus we saw him making some jumpshots and even threes.. you have to be CRAZY talented to improve in that way without hard work..

lalaila
    Participant

first of all.. in that short period if time when he was healthy (weeks before nba draft) he had just great workout, showing his athleticism footwork and improved skills while at the same time he measured 7’1 and 265 if im correct..so they say he is CLOSE to 300 which means he might haven’t gained 30 pounds instead of 50.

secondly, I can’t tell anything about his work ethic.. but in the guy who started play in 2011 was already at allstar games in 2013 as a raw talent with some skills and only a year later we even started to say he can be the next Hakeem, plus we saw him making some jumpshots and even threes.. you have to be CRAZY talented to improve in that way without hard work..

DolanCare
    Participant

I wouldn’t be too alarmed, any who has been injured knows how easy it is to pack on the pounds. Your body is used to having massive portions, so when you’re not burning the calories you can gain weight very quickly. 

Secondly, most 20 year olds have no idea how to diet and conditioning. (OJ Mayo is a vet who still has yet to learn about this aspect of the offseason). Let’s wait until this kid steps on the court before crying bloody murder.  

DolanCare
    Participant

I wouldn’t be too alarmed, any who has been injured knows how easy it is to pack on the pounds. Your body is used to having massive portions, so when you’re not burning the calories you can gain weight very quickly. 

Secondly, most 20 year olds have no idea how to diet and conditioning. (OJ Mayo is a vet who still has yet to learn about this aspect of the offseason). Let’s wait until this kid steps on the court before crying bloody murder.  

i’m jus so offended
    Participant

Watching a highlight video of MCW in a recent game, they showed Embiid cheering on the sidelines and he looked slim. Definitely not liked he gained 50lbs

i’m jus so offended
    Participant

Watching a highlight video of MCW in a recent game, they showed Embiid cheering on the sidelines and he looked slim. Definitely not liked he gained 50lbs

JoeWolf1
    JoeWolf1
    ExumInferno
    Participant

This might be a good thing for the team, as Nerlens Noel is a thin power forward and he needs a bulkier center next to him in the paint.  

The 76ers have Embiid listed at 250 pounds.

If Embiid can be a heavy but still athletic center next year, maybe instead of being Hakeem he is closer to Shaq.

Some will say he is closer to Stanley Roberts if Embiid doesn’t have his quick feet and atheltic ability when he debuts in the NBA.

ExumInferno
    Participant

This might be a good thing for the team, as Nerlens Noel is a thin power forward and he needs a bulkier center next to him in the paint.  

The 76ers have Embiid listed at 250 pounds.

If Embiid can be a heavy but still athletic center next year, maybe instead of being Hakeem he is closer to Shaq.

Some will say he is closer to Stanley Roberts if Embiid doesn’t have his quick feet and atheltic ability when he debuts in the NBA.

kazam
    Participant

From the picture JoeWolf posted, I have a hard time imagining that he is a true 300 pounds.

Perhaps the story and conversation should be centering more so on the mental health of this young man. Is he depressed? Is there something else going on? Losing a brother, being far from home are certainly reasons to be working through some demons. I hope nothing but the best for him and with that said, hopefully he gets whatever help he may need.

kazam
    Participant

From the picture JoeWolf posted, I have a hard time imagining that he is a true 300 pounds.

Perhaps the story and conversation should be centering more so on the mental health of this young man. Is he depressed? Is there something else going on? Losing a brother, being far from home are certainly reasons to be working through some demons. I hope nothing but the best for him and with that said, hopefully he gets whatever help he may need.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

Agree, hope he gets the help he needs and think the questions about his work ethic are speculation. Seems like he is going through a bit of a rough patch and I know JoeWolf’s pic makes him look the same, but Hale’s pic and that vid make him look like he is less than in the best shape. Certainly does not seem to be the super svelte Embiid one would hope for. Time is absolutely on his side, this was just kind of painting a picture of where he is at. Hopefully he takes time for himself to address some things.

Here is Deadspins take on it:

http://deadspin.com/report-joel-embiid-is-fat-and-doesnt-care-1680309836

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

Agree, hope he gets the help he needs and think the questions about his work ethic are speculation. Seems like he is going through a bit of a rough patch and I know JoeWolf’s pic makes him look the same, but Hale’s pic and that vid make him look like he is less than in the best shape. Certainly does not seem to be the super svelte Embiid one would hope for. Time is absolutely on his side, this was just kind of painting a picture of where he is at. Hopefully he takes time for himself to address some things.

Here is Deadspins take on it:

http://deadspin.com/report-joel-embiid-is-fat-and-doesnt-care-1680309836

YoungKINGS
    Participant

Joel Embid says he doesn’t weigh 300 pounds. A team source backed him up, stating that 275 pounds has been the maximum weight for Joel -sportando 

YoungKINGS
    Participant

Joel Embid says he doesn’t weigh 300 pounds. A team source backed him up, stating that 275 pounds has been the maximum weight for Joel -sportando 

nateval
    Participant

He’s huge he’s probably going to be terrible. As a Celtics fan I think Philly should trade him at a discount to us 😉

nateval
    Participant

He’s huge he’s probably going to be terrible. As a Celtics fan I think Philly should trade him at a discount to us 😉

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login