JNixon-Iggy9's 2011Mock Draft (with comments)

JNixon
JNixon's picture
JNixon-Iggy9's 2011Mock Draft (with comments)

butidonthavemoney
butidonthavemoney's picture
I

I don't like the idea that Williams falls to 4, though I understand the theory behind it.

I also think Reggie Jackson has established himself as a lock in the first round.

My two cents.

Good mock.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
I like Reggie Jackson, but

I like Reggie Jackson, but how he has established himself? Ddid he measure at 6'4 in measurements?

Toronto16
Toronto16's picture
Why would Utah pass on

Why would Utah pass on Derrick Williams? They have needs at both PG and SF slots, but they would take the best player available.

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
You the man Iggy

Though I too believe that Williams does not slip to 4. Otherwise, solid work.

butidonthavemoney
No

He didn't participate in the athletic testing.

However, he has been blowing people away in team workouts -- or at least that's what I've heard. I would be very surprised if he slipped into the second round.

RUDEBOY_
RUDEBOY_'s picture
I'm hearing some nba people

I'm hearing some nba people at the combine are comparing Selby to Monta Ellis and say he will go in the lottery,some are saying Reggie Jackson has a 1st round guarantee from a team in the eastern conference...

RichieRebel
Jazz will not pass on

Jazz will not pass on Williams. If you have Devin Harris at PG(who was a all-star two years ago) and nobody at the SF(Kirilenko is leaving) and the best SF in the draft(maybe the best player in the draft) fall to you, who would you take?

JNixon
JNixon's picture
The best SF in the draft

The best SF in the draft isn't Derrick Williams. Williams is a PF. And is Devin Harris really the Jazz PG of the future? I can understand you thinking the Jazz won't pass on Williams, but I'd hope they don't expect him to play on the wing very much at all.

MagikKnick
MagikKnick's picture
Darius Morris "...Not A Pure

Darius Morris "...Not A Pure PG"..wait, what?

MagikKnick
MagikKnick's picture
Darius Morris "...Not A Pure

oops - double post

JNixon
JNixon's picture
Morris isn't a pure PG. He's

Morris isn't a pure PG. He's a guy who simply needs the ball to be effective. He had gaudy assist numbers, but I see him as a big combo guard.

RichieRebel
Well tell that to him in his

Well tell that to him in his interview he said he'll be playing SF and thats the position he's developing himself for.

NashyMing
NashyMing's picture
If Derrick Williams falls to

If Derrick Williams falls to #3, I don't see how the Jazz won't draft him.

Also, you probably don't read much into Euro ball. I guess Mirotic signing a multi-years deal to stay at Real Madrid put him even lower than Bertan. I don't see anything else other than shooting from Bertan so far.

joecheck88
joecheck88's picture
I also do not think Williams

I also do not think Williams gets past the Jazz. Jordan Williams I believe will fall into second round(only 6 foot 9 in shoes). Otherwise, I like it. I do like Biyombo to the Pistons as there arent any good point guards left at that point in your draft and he would be great next to Monroe(as long as he doesnt foul too much).

And for everyone that can post on the famous JNixon's mock draft and not comment on mine is a loser! lol. Just kidding, but you should check it out.

DMV_LeGenD
DMV_LeGenD's picture
I agree with Iggy. I don't

I agree with Iggy. I don't think Williams is a SF, even though he is adament about being one. I don't think he has the handle and quickness to play on the perimeter full-time.

I can easily see the Jazz picking Knight. I've heard that they like him and they aren't sold on Harris and he's not the PG of the future.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
"Well tell that to him in his

"Well tell that to him in his interview he said he'll be playing SF and thats the position he's developing himself for."

Believe me, I wish I could. Can you imagine Derrick Williams chasing SF off screens in the NBA?? Or beating an NBA SF off the dribble with the easiness they'll beat able to be him??

RichieRebel
Honestly it's hard to tell

Honestly it's hard to tell what his game will look like in the pros. He has a little bit of fat that he could cut off, he could become quicker if he gets in better shape.

nateoak10
nateoak10's picture
Thompson isnt what GSW will

Thompson isnt what GSW will look for, we'd like a SF or a center. Not more PF's, DWill is too talented to get past Utah. The Cats frontline sucks more then their wing spots, so TT or Motie fit better, dont see how Bertans is a 1st either

nwk2bk
Iggy

Why do you feel the Nets will draft 2 more point guards? Are you aware that they have 3pgs under contract? The Nets definitely need to select someone to appease DWill, i dont see 2 pgs doing that. Explain your thought process for me.

Mr. 19134
Mr. 19134's picture
I like your Mock the best

I like your Mock the best thus far because you have Kanter going second and Williams dropping to 4 which both make a ton of sense. Just like Minny last year passing on Cousins because they didn't think he fit, I could see Utah passing on Williams for Knight because of fit. At the same time I could see Williams go 1st and Irving drop to Utah.

So has JayNix finally come around to Alec Burks?.........I know you hate to admit that Burks is better then you thought. But now it's time to realize that so is Marshon Brooks who should not fall out of the top 25. Brooks is going to sky rocket up the boards during workouts because let's be honest their isn't another guard in this class who can stop him from scoring. Just like every year their is a big long shot blocker who get's drafted high, every year their is an obvious pure scoring guard who drops because of his age and college. Last year Jordan Crawford dropped and lit teams up for passing on him. George Hill dropped before him. Kevin Martin, Cat Mobley are just a few of the names off the top of my head that all fell in the draft despite being scoring machines in college who were among the top players on their conference.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
Ben Uzoh and Jordan Farmar

Ben Uzoh and Jordan Farmar are New Jersey's other backups. Uzoh might not be back at all next year, and I have doubts about Farmar as a long term player for New Jersey as well. Even still, if he is, Selby is a SG really anyway. And a 2nd round pick who has no strings attached (no guaranteed deal) according to this mock. So it's just develop him as you go with him. It's not like New Jersey's backcourt was all great, especially with depth last year.

I've liked Alec Burks and realized he was a good prospect since the beginning of the Big 12 conference slate. I have no problem admitting he's good.

Marshon Brooks is a scorer with a big wingspan, but he doesn't defend, pass or provide anything that will help a team besides scoring. And I question if he'll be efficient scoring against NBA defenders. He plays 0 D. Yeah he lit up scoreboards in the Big East, but so did Jeremy Hazell and former teammate Greedy Peterson. He seems like a Manny Harris type to me. He's being compared to Kobe in these workouts. That's VERY laughable.

butidonthavemoney
Bertans

What makes you think Bertans isn't a likely first rounder?

He's smooth, tall, great shooter, great passer, active... Makes a lot of sense for a lot of teams in the late-first round.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
Yeah Bertans isn't a bad guy

Yeah Bertans isn't a bad guy to invest in in the 1st round. He's a 6'10 shooter. Has all the same intrigue that made Austin Daye a top 15 pick in 2009.

butidonthavemoney
/\

"Has all the same intrigue that made Austin Daye a late lotto pick in 2009."

That was my comparison for him too. He's got a lot of role-playing potential.

Harbinger
Harbinger's picture
Kanter is looking good but

Kanter is looking good but theres nothing better then seeing him play 5 on 5 which we haven't at the college level let alone NBA. I'm not that big on trades but As I said before

" Im not sure that williams can play the small foward he hasnt in college so why is everybody stuck on him playing small foward. Do you think he will be able to keep up with the N.B.A's top small foward,is his ball handling enough to get pass small fowards, does he spread the floor well enough ( I mean when you play Pf and shoot 3s the defender plays you up, plays you half way or plays for the rebound so in college he was getting easier shots but in the league there will be a 3 playing you up at all times.

I think they should trade the number 2 pick and wayne ellington for marcus thorton and the 7th pick

because next year is a foward draft why not steal a foward and that draft even if its not the number 1 pick you can still get a 3 or 4 with upside and there will be a player who comes out of no where and rises up the board like there is every year (2011) williams (2010) wes johnson and udoh (2009) tyreke evans (2008) russel west brook so they will get a nice player . The wolves will be back in the lotto next year so they should do this.

I said the same thing about memphis drafting thabeet over harden. You see how that came back to haunt them in game 7. Patience is a virtue good things come to those who wait and the best thing to do is lock there sg postion down with an explosive scorer in marcus thorton and with the 2nd pick draft a future kevin martian in klay thompson"

If not trading for a vet which is what khan wants to do ,another young player that can help them build for the future, or somehow conveying a 2012 lottery pick from another team

iguapops420
iguapops420's picture
Good, but I have acouple

Good, but I have acouple issues. Not really sure how you get Williams falling to 4, Knight going at 3 when they can just wait out hometown boy Jimmer at 12, D.Morris not being a pure point, how could Mirotic fall out of the 1st yet Benzing a mid to late second rounder manages first, why would GSW take Tristan when they just drafted Ekpe who is QUITE similar, and finally my own self hate I can't for the life of me see why LAL would take Bogdanovic over Lighty. Ifa Euro 2 stash away I'd go with Xavi Rabaseda.

Though I did really like that you have also taken notice in Julyan Stone, as I mentioned him a few weeks ago as a guy I think has NBA potential but is getting absolutely NO love. Decent mock overall though. I May post one up soon as a comparison.

Mr. 19134
Mr. 19134's picture
JayNix.....It is not people

JayNix.....It is not people on the boards comparing him to Kobe from anaylysts and Tim Grover himself. It seems like Burks, that Marshon is a late broomer who really put it all together in his sr. year. To go along with a near 7'2 wingspan Brooks also has some of the largest hands in the whole combine. So expect him to not only score right away at the next level but also get plenty rebounds. If he lands a team with the right coach he could also develop into a very good defender givin his physical attributes. And he has the court vision to facilitate it's just when you play on a team that rather have you shoot then them you don't get the opportunity to pass as much. I can't wait for the workouts because i really don't think another SG can check him in this draft and he's been shooting lights out.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
I know who's calling him

I know who's calling him Kobe, but it's laughable either way. He's at best similar to Nick Young. He doesn't even have the scoring moves or athleticism of Young though, and he's not as big.

Just because he has big hands compared to people in this draft class, doesn't mean he'll be a great rebounder in the NBA. There are more people in the NBA than the people in this class. He will be competing against NBA big men and other grown men for rebounds. This isn't Providence where you can be 6'5 190 and play extended minutes at PF and pad your rebounding stats.

iguapops420
iguapops420's picture
^^^ Agreed, though you can't

^^^ Agreed, though you can't say he's not a good rebounder. He's defeintiely a good rebounder, Providence or not. Though he is super skinny and i see absolutely NO Kobe in him. I remeber Nick Young being compared the same way. Though, to be fair, Nick wasn't the scorer he is now coming out of the draft. Marshon could be a Nick Young or Kevin Martin type. With that length though, you can't blame some of those difficult shots as he's hitting them on a good percent and with a 7'1 wingspan, he can damn near get that shot off at anytime.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
He had 1 truly good year

He had 1 truly good year rebounding, and that was last year when he played a bunch of minutes at PF.

Nick Young has always had a big arsenal of moves, particularly for a young player. Even in college. I've compared the moves he sometimes makes to Kobe's moves before. Marshon Brooks doesn't have that though.

providencefriars1
providencefriars1's picture
I agree with Jnix that

I agree with Jnix that Marshon's rebounding should be taken with a grain of salt but you have to give him props for doing what he did in the Big East.

I dont know where everyone got that Marshon is a bad passer from. I know he averaged more TO's than assists but stats/boxscores can be decieving. He was credited with a lot of TO's because he had to create offense for the whole team and had to force the issue often. Passing isnt all about assists and turnover's either

iguapops420
iguapops420's picture
He has the knack for putting

He has the knack for putting the ball in the rim. You either have that or you don't. There's more to being compared to Kobe than just scoring as that is by no means all Kobe is. Marshon didn't get a whole lot of exposure though prior to this year. I must admit though I was unaware he plaed quite a bit of 4. But he's by far a better rebounder than Nick Young. Nick Young in his final year at USC played more like Kobe than he does now. His turnaround fade was about the only thing I really thought was Kobe like.Then again, to each his own. Marshon must definitely work harder, but given his late blooming status, I wouldn't see it as so far fetched that he could be as good as Nick Young. Young for all his statistical development this year, hasn't really progressed or developed much as a player since leaving USC. His D while better, is still mediocre, he got most of his points coming off of screens and curls, and is a horrible rebounder. Especially for a guy who has a 40 inch vert and a 7ft wingspan. Young is good, but let's not act as if he's worlds ahead of Marshon. In fact, even with his better footowork and moves offensively, I wouldn't be surprised to see Marshon end up the overall better player. At least he has a desire to get rebounds.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
He's not by far a better

He's not by far a better rebounder than Nick Young, when both played on the wing Young averaged 4 rpg in his Fr. and Jr. seasons, and even had 6 rpg as a Sophomore. Brooks played PF alot for Providence, and even though Young played some PF for USC, he had Taj Gibson getting rebounds with him as a Jr. and he didn't play down there as much as Brooks did. When Greedy Peterson was at Providence, Brooks' rebound numbers were much more realistic.

Young is a good deal better than Brooks was at USC too when he declared. Young has a better handle, 1st step, jump shot and he's been bigger and a good bit more athletic. On top of having more moves and ways to score. Young was a much better overall talent than Brooks was coming out of college, phsyically, athletically and in terms of his skills. I think people are looking at Brooks' numbers and hyping him too much. He'll carve out a role for a team, but his stats are inflated and I have questions about his overall game and how efficient he'll be.

iguapops420
iguapops420's picture
You aren't quote getting what

You aren't quote getting what I'm saying I don't believe. While I do agree Young was the better prospect with much better athleticism(an inch talle but an inch shorter in wingspan), I think he's nearly reached his potential. There is absolutely NO reason for Young to only avg 3 rbs with his length and vert. Just that Marshon is a late bloomer who can potentially be a terrific bench scorer. Certainly not a starter, but definitely an NBA scorer. IMO, Young is no starter either with his lack of D, passing, and rebounding. And for that better handle he has, how is it used as he really doesn't find himself creating shots nearly as much as you would think or expect.

RSS: Syndicate content