This Jimmer Fredette situation is reminding me of 1985.

White Chocolate
White Chocolate's picture
This Jimmer Fredette situation is reminding me of 1985.

Remember back in 1985 whenever the Pacers had the #2 pick in the draft after losing out to the Knicks in the Patrick Ewing sweepstakes after the Knicks got the #1 pick? Everybody in the state of Indiana wanted them to pick hometown hero Steve Alford. The Pacers were expected to take Alford, because he would have sold tickets and people would be interested again. It was a down year for the Pacers and they needed soemthing to spark the franchise and Steve Alford would have done that. Donnie Walsh went against the popular vote and drafted Reggie Miller which was clearly the right choice. Alford ended up being a nobody and getting draft #26 by the Mavericks.

This years Utah Jazz are looking a lot like the 1985 Indiana Pacers, they both were/are going downhill fast. If the Jazz keep it up they will have a lottery pick this June and will fell the presser to drafr Jimmer Fredette. Unlike the Pacers I believe that the Jazz would draft Fredette. Like Alford he would sell tickets, spark the franchise, and he is the hometown hero. The only question(s) is would Fredette work out with Williams as a 1-2 combo or if Williams is gone could Fredette run the point guard postion effectively in the NBA?

mess.eee
mess.eee's picture
Jimmer could be gone by the

Jimmer could be gone by the time Jazz selects. Possibility of him going in the lottery is strong.

The UnderKanter
I see what you mean but I

I see what you mean but I don't think Utah would pick Jimmer because to me he is more of a combo guard and that is not Utah's style. I think they will be more traditional and try to go for Jordan Hamilton or Alec Burks but if neither of those two are around then they will fill their hole at the back up 4 and go for Marcus or Markeiff Morris.

As a Jazz fan I would love to see them go for a 2 guard because that is by far their weakest link but since this year's draft is not strong in that position I realize that it would not be smart to go for a 2 guard or bust. I'm not saying that Jimmer will be a bust but I am saying that he needs to be selected by the right team and Utah is not that team. However if Utah does select Jimmer then he would be a bust; but if a different team selected him, a team that needs him even more so than Utah then he would not be a bust. I also tend to agree with mess.eee that Jimmer might be gone by the time the Jazz are up. The Jazz will still try and fight for a playoff spot like they always do so they will get the 14th-16th pick.

The UnderKanter
This year is Utah's last

This year is Utah's last chance to prove to Dwill that they can build around him. That is Dwill's only issue with Utah, and that is why he apparently wants to leave. So Utah will do whatever they can to keep him. Drafting Jimmer would do just the opposite. He's not a playmaker and that's the kind of PG Utah likes so the only way Utah would draft a PG to replace Dwill is if by some miracle Irving falls to them. Not likely so that is another reason why I think they will go for Jordan Hamilton or Alec Burks. Preferably Jordan Hamilton. I think that drafting one of these two players might be the start of what might convince Dwill to stay.

BothTeamsPlayedHard
BothTeamsPlayedHard's picture
The Jazz's first round pick

The Jazz's first round pick goes to Minnesota from the Al Jefferson trade. It is top sixteen protected, so unless they miss the playoffs they won't be with a pick.

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
Reggie Miller was drafted in 1987

He was the 11th pick, though you were right about Alford going 26. David Robinson was the first pick. If they draft Jimmer, it would more than likely be at a pretty decent position to draft Jimmer. I am assuming they still make the play-offs, though they still have some work. But, if they are at anywhere from 14-18 or maybe even later, drafting Jimmer would be fine. They might not have Deron Williams for much longer, as he appears to be leaning towards leaving, so they can go with Jimmer and it could turn out great. Steve was a great player and a great shooter, but I think Jimmer is probably more of a PG than Alford was. Look at Steve's percentages in college though, off the charts. Still, you do not always go with the fans in these situations, but if someone is in that range, than I could see there being pressure. Bottom line is, you draft the best player available, because if you do and that player turns out to be great they will sell tickets regardless. Alford would have sold tickets immediately, but Reggie ended up selling a lot more in the long run. You listen to your constituents, but in the end you make what you feel is the best decision to make.

raybeas
raybeas's picture
Got your drafts mixed up

Alford played on the '87 Championship team, so wasnt drafted in '85. Think the Pacers got Smits #2 in '85.

raybeas
raybeas's picture
My bad

Tisdale #2 to Pacers in '85. Smits #2 in '88.

RSS: Syndicate content