This topic contains 38 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Hype Machine 8 years ago.

• Author
    SwatLakeCity
    Participant

I have it down to three choices: Malik Beasley, Furkan Korkmaz, or Denzel Valentine.

I orginally thought they needed a Point because I’m not convinced that Exum is a PG, I think he is more of a SG, but once Mack came aboard, I was sold and thought he’s the Point the Jazz need. 

Burks gets hurt a lot. I’m afraid he may be injury prone. When healthy he is great starter, but that’s a big if. Hood is a great shooter, but I still think he is more of a backup. Exum may end up being a point in the end, but regardless of all this, the Jazz need a closer. A guy who can hit tough shots, make smart decisions, play tough D (take a key charge). This guy should probably end up being found in free agency, a veteran who has playoff experience. (I’m hoping for Kurt Bazemore) So with that in mind should the Jazz take Beasley or Korkmaz and just stick them in the D-league until they need them, or should they select who I see as a young closer in Denzel Valentine.

What concerns me about Valentine is that he is not an elite athlete, but he is a very smart player. Does his BBIQ overpower his noneliteness and does he merit a lottery selection? That is my biggest question I have about him. 

The Jazz need a guy who can do all the little things that matter in big games, a glue guy, a guy like Draymond Green. I think that person is Denzel Valentine, but should they instead pick Beasley or Korkmaz in hopes that they can get Bazemore in free agency. Or maybe they should just pick Valentine, and still hope that they can get Bazemore.

I know its a little early to discuss this with the playoffs still in infant stage, but ever since the Jazz were wrongfully eliminated from the playoffs this has been eating away at me. Who should the Jazz select? Malik Beasley, Denzel Valentine, or Furkan Korkmaz.

ZachAttack
    Participant

I’m really high on Valentine. Have been since the start of the season. He really picked up his game, and he’s got one of the best IQ’s in the draft. He plays with a lot of confidence too which is something the Jazz need. If there was someone that I’d pick, it’d be Valentine.

I’m honestly just hoping that we win the lottery and sneak into the top 3, or else try and trade into the top 3.

ZachAttack
    Participant

I’m really high on Valentine. Have been since the start of the season. He really picked up his game, and he’s got one of the best IQ’s in the draft. He plays with a lot of confidence too which is something the Jazz need. If there was someone that I’d pick, it’d be Valentine.

I’m honestly just hoping that we win the lottery and sneak into the top 3, or else try and trade into the top 3.

SwatLakeCity
      Participant

I wish we could win the lottery too or sneak into the top 3, but I don’t bet or even think of those type of things when we have a late lotto pick. We could try and trade into the top 3, but I doubt we have what it would take to even make, Philly, the Wolves, Pelicans, Celtics, Suns, or Lakers even consider trading their potential top 3 pick to us.

I like Valentine too, but Korkmaz and Beasley are still real possibilities for me.

SwatLakeCity
      Participant

I wish we could win the lottery too or sneak into the top 3, but I don’t bet or even think of those type of things when we have a late lotto pick. We could try and trade into the top 3, but I doubt we have what it would take to even make, Philly, the Wolves, Pelicans, Celtics, Suns, or Lakers even consider trading their potential top 3 pick to us.

I like Valentine too, but Korkmaz and Beasley are still real possibilities for me.

ZachAttack
        Participant

Yes, but a Jazz fan can dream right?

In all seriousness, I like Beasley as well, haven’t seen much of Korkmaz, but of the 3, Valentine just seems to have that winning mentality, I mean, he’s won more than those 2 others and he just has that confidence with him that really wants him on the Jazz.

ZachAttack
        Participant

Yes, but a Jazz fan can dream right?

In all seriousness, I like Beasley as well, haven’t seen much of Korkmaz, but of the 3, Valentine just seems to have that winning mentality, I mean, he’s won more than those 2 others and he just has that confidence with him that really wants him on the Jazz.

Choppy
          Participant

I’d love to see Ben Simmons and Exum on the same team (other than future Boomers teams). Only way that happens is winning the draft lottery so I’m joining in your dream! 

Choppy
          Participant

I’d love to see Ben Simmons and Exum on the same team (other than future Boomers teams). Only way that happens is winning the draft lottery so I’m joining in your dream! 

TRC1991
    Participant

Valentine would be a good fit. Another guy that can handle the rock and create.

TRC1991
    Participant

Valentine would be a good fit. Another guy that can handle the rock and create.

WinterSoldier
    Participant

I would pick Luwawu he has a much higher upside then those guys you mentioned and could turn into a lockdown perimeter defender. The other guy I really like is Malachi Richardson he just reminds me of a Paul Pierce/ Caron Butler type.

My dream scenerio would be trading up for the 2nd pick and getting Ingram and with the 12th pick getting Luwawu that would be a awsome blend of offense and defense for our wing positions. 

WinterSoldier
    Participant

I would pick Luwawu he has a much higher upside then those guys you mentioned and could turn into a lockdown perimeter defender. The other guy I really like is Malachi Richardson he just reminds me of a Paul Pierce/ Caron Butler type.

My dream scenerio would be trading up for the 2nd pick and getting Ingram and with the 12th pick getting Luwawu that would be a awsome blend of offense and defense for our wing positions. 

sweaterflex
    Participant

Valentine and Korkmaz would both be intriguing fits, Valentine as a secondary playmaker, Korkmaz with higher upside as a scorer. Most will see it as a reach, but the Jazz should also seriously consider Tyler Ulis. They likely still feel burned by the Burke pick and don’t want to revisit undersized point guards, but Ulis provides insurance for Exum and could share the backcourt if they want to let Exum play off the ball. Ulis is a quality shooter and distributor distributor, and takes care of the ball. He’s also fairly young for his year.  Beasley strikes me as a Courtney Lee type, perfectly functional but wouldn’t really supply much that the Jazz won’t be getting from Burks and Hood.

sweaterflex
    Participant

Valentine and Korkmaz would both be intriguing fits, Valentine as a secondary playmaker, Korkmaz with higher upside as a scorer. Most will see it as a reach, but the Jazz should also seriously consider Tyler Ulis. They likely still feel burned by the Burke pick and don’t want to revisit undersized point guards, but Ulis provides insurance for Exum and could share the backcourt if they want to let Exum play off the ball. Ulis is a quality shooter and distributor distributor, and takes care of the ball. He’s also fairly young for his year.  Beasley strikes me as a Courtney Lee type, perfectly functional but wouldn’t really supply much that the Jazz won’t be getting from Burks and Hood.

BallerScript
    Participant

I think that Taurean Prince could be an option, he could be a great 3&D guy that could work in many different lineups involving Exum, Burke, Burks, Hood, Hayward and the Utah bigs.

BallerScript
    Participant

I think that Taurean Prince could be an option, he could be a great 3&D guy that could work in many different lineups involving Exum, Burke, Burks, Hood, Hayward and the Utah bigs.

NBAjunkie81
    Participant

He’s only 18 so he’s still going to grow into his body……. but at 6’7” he’s fluid, great shooter, explosive, can create his own shot, can dish to the open man, he can fill it up off screens & from 3……

I realize he’s got to get better defensively – but what 18/19 y/o doesn’t at this level….. I really like his length & his upside….. I believe at that spot, Furkan is great piece for the Jazz…..

NBAjunkie81
    Participant

He’s only 18 so he’s still going to grow into his body……. but at 6’7” he’s fluid, great shooter, explosive, can create his own shot, can dish to the open man, he can fill it up off screens & from 3……

I realize he’s got to get better defensively – but what 18/19 y/o doesn’t at this level….. I really like his length & his upside….. I believe at that spot, Furkan is great piece for the Jazz…..

The Goat
    Participant

In regards to Exum, I understand concerns, but some comments are a bit negative aren’t they? Shelvin Mack is the future?! Exum is only 20 and still pretty fresh out of high school in Canberra. He has a massive gap to close, but he has all the tools and has proven already to be capable defensively. I think Valentine is a good fit in the projected draft range. What about Maker? Exum and Ingles are there. Itd be a landing spot where he had plenty of time to develop behind three other young bigs.

The Goat
    Participant

In regards to Exum, I understand concerns, but some comments are a bit negative aren’t they? Shelvin Mack is the future?! Exum is only 20 and still pretty fresh out of high school in Canberra. He has a massive gap to close, but he has all the tools and has proven already to be capable defensively. I think Valentine is a good fit in the projected draft range. What about Maker? Exum and Ingles are there. Itd be a landing spot where he had plenty of time to develop behind three other young bigs.

morestealsthanscores
    Participant

I’m gonna be blunt – if the Jazz keep this pick, I’m going to be sorely disappointed. WE HAVE ENOUGH PLAYERS. What we don’t have is the talent to compete at the highest level. We need to package some assets to bring in a star.

morestealsthanscores
    Participant

I’m gonna be blunt – if the Jazz keep this pick, I’m going to be sorely disappointed. WE HAVE ENOUGH PLAYERS. What we don’t have is the talent to compete at the highest level. We need to package some assets to bring in a star.

Hype Machine

I’m surprised theres so many Jazz fans here.

I can’t imagine any scenario where the Jazz can move into the top 2, despite it being worth a shot.

As for trading to get a superstar, thats a great idea too but realistically won’t happen.

And since they have decent players at every position, might as well swing for the fences and gamble on upside.

Thon Maker. 

Hype Machine

I’m surprised theres so many Jazz fans here.

I can’t imagine any scenario where the Jazz can move into the top 2, despite it being worth a shot.

As for trading to get a superstar, thats a great idea too but realistically won’t happen.

And since they have decent players at every position, might as well swing for the fences and gamble on upside.

Thon Maker. 

morestealsthanscores
    Participant

Hype – more likely we get one in trade than in free agency. And i think it’s more likely we get one in trade than at 12 also. If we move up to the top 5, fair enough.

Hype Machine

I’d love to trade for a star as much as you, but there’s just not enough stars on the trade-block to swing that kinda deal. And if they were, the Jazz can’t really make it happen anyways since other teams have more assets. Also, the Jazz don’t have the savvy front office to swing any big deals anyhow. 

But don’t lose hope in snagging an All-Star in the late lottery or beyond. The obvious advantage is that you don’t have to give anything up.  It’s tough, but the Jazz have drafted pretty well so there’s a chance. 

2011 – Kawhi Leanord pick 15, Klay Thompson pick #11

2012 – Drummond #9, Draymond Green #35

2013 – Greek Freak #15

2014 – Zach Lavine #13

2015 – Myles Turner #11, Devin Booker #13 (Jazz took Lyles in the middle…bad choice!)

ZachAttack
        Participant

you have to realize that when Lyles started, he had just as big of an impact as Myles Turner. Lyles was sitting behind Favors and Booker at the beginning of the season so he was a third string PF… Once he got playing time, he played great. If he was given the same role the two rookies around him, he would have put up better stats and would have been comparable to both.

When the Jazz first picked him, I thought it was a horrible pick too… I wanted Kelly Oubre, but since then, I feel like the Jazz made the right pick and that’s why they have NBA jobs and we don’t.

ZachAttack
        Participant

you have to realize that when Lyles started, he had just as big of an impact as Myles Turner. Lyles was sitting behind Favors and Booker at the beginning of the season so he was a third string PF… Once he got playing time, he played great. If he was given the same role the two rookies around him, he would have put up better stats and would have been comparable to both.

When the Jazz first picked him, I thought it was a horrible pick too… I wanted Kelly Oubre, but since then, I feel like the Jazz made the right pick and that’s why they have NBA jobs and we don’t.

Hype Machine

I’d love to trade for a star as much as you, but there’s just not enough stars on the trade-block to swing that kinda deal. And if they were, the Jazz can’t really make it happen anyways since other teams have more assets. Also, the Jazz don’t have the savvy front office to swing any big deals anyhow. 

But don’t lose hope in snagging an All-Star in the late lottery or beyond. The obvious advantage is that you don’t have to give anything up.  It’s tough, but the Jazz have drafted pretty well so there’s a chance. 

2011 – Kawhi Leanord pick 15, Klay Thompson pick #11

2012 – Drummond #9, Draymond Green #35

2013 – Greek Freak #15

2014 – Zach Lavine #13

2015 – Myles Turner #11, Devin Booker #13 (Jazz took Lyles in the middle…bad choice!)

morestealsthanscores
    Participant

Hype – more likely we get one in trade than in free agency. And i think it’s more likely we get one in trade than at 12 also. If we move up to the top 5, fair enough.

SwatLakeCity
    Participant

I’m still leaning towards Valentine, and doing all we can to get Kent Bazemore in free agency. Why go for an undersized, and unathletic shooter with a late lottery pick? Because he has exactly what the Jazz need. The Jazz have what it takes to make the playoffs. They could have made it this year. There were so many games, that the Jazz should have won and would have won if they had a closer. Someone who can set screens, take a charge, make a key defensive play, make a huge shot, possibly a three, hit their free throws, do all those little things in the waning seconds of games and throughout. Every playoff team has someone like that, that’s how they get there and that’s how they win those key games. The Jazz don’t have that, they tried to get that with G-Time, or Hood, or possibly Mack, but they haven’t quite developed it yet. Valentine has it, he plays smart, he’s played on a winning team for a great coach, Tom Izzo, and he knows what it takes to win games. I know he’s unathletic and size might be questioned by some, and he doesn’t have the hype or upside to be a lottery pick, but the Jazz don’t need all that. They have all that in Favors, Gobert, Hayward, Exum, Hood, Mack, Lyles, and you can include Burks in this too even though I think he’s injury prone. Need I go on? The biggest thing, Valentine has the smarts, his BBIQ is so high, it supersedes all his shortcomings, and puts him over the top. He’s the glue, that can mold all of these excellent pieces that the Jazz already have into a great team.

You want the Jazz to swing for the fences and get Thon Maker? What has Maker proved? He’s only played in High School. He’s eligible because of his age. I need to see him perform and play in big games that matter. Those haven’t happened for Maker. Taurean Prince or Luwawu would also be good. But I question Luwawu like I do Korkmaz because both are international players who play for good international teams, but don’t play too much because they are young, and playing with a bunch of already developed veterans. They have a lot of upside, but again the Jazz don’t need upside. They need proven players. Let’s not swing for the fences, let’s get someone who fits the team.

I think the Jazz can get Prince with one of their 3 second round picks, or they could trade Burke for a late first round pick and then pick Prince with that pick. They could even package one or two of their three second round picks and Burke for a late first round pick. That’s the deal they could make to swing for the fences and get Maker if you want him so badly.

SwatLakeCity
    Participant

I’m still leaning towards Valentine, and doing all we can to get Kent Bazemore in free agency. Why go for an undersized, and unathletic shooter with a late lottery pick? Because he has exactly what the Jazz need. The Jazz have what it takes to make the playoffs. They could have made it this year. There were so many games, that the Jazz should have won and would have won if they had a closer. Someone who can set screens, take a charge, make a key defensive play, make a huge shot, possibly a three, hit their free throws, do all those little things in the waning seconds of games and throughout. Every playoff team has someone like that, that’s how they get there and that’s how they win those key games. The Jazz don’t have that, they tried to get that with G-Time, or Hood, or possibly Mack, but they haven’t quite developed it yet. Valentine has it, he plays smart, he’s played on a winning team for a great coach, Tom Izzo, and he knows what it takes to win games. I know he’s unathletic and size might be questioned by some, and he doesn’t have the hype or upside to be a lottery pick, but the Jazz don’t need all that. They have all that in Favors, Gobert, Hayward, Exum, Hood, Mack, Lyles, and you can include Burks in this too even though I think he’s injury prone. Need I go on? The biggest thing, Valentine has the smarts, his BBIQ is so high, it supersedes all his shortcomings, and puts him over the top. He’s the glue, that can mold all of these excellent pieces that the Jazz already have into a great team.

You want the Jazz to swing for the fences and get Thon Maker? What has Maker proved? He’s only played in High School. He’s eligible because of his age. I need to see him perform and play in big games that matter. Those haven’t happened for Maker. Taurean Prince or Luwawu would also be good. But I question Luwawu like I do Korkmaz because both are international players who play for good international teams, but don’t play too much because they are young, and playing with a bunch of already developed veterans. They have a lot of upside, but again the Jazz don’t need upside. They need proven players. Let’s not swing for the fences, let’s get someone who fits the team.

I think the Jazz can get Prince with one of their 3 second round picks, or they could trade Burke for a late first round pick and then pick Prince with that pick. They could even package one or two of their three second round picks and Burke for a late first round pick. That’s the deal they could make to swing for the fences and get Maker if you want him so badly.

Hype Machine

By the time youre done waiting for Maker to play in big games, hes already on another team. 

Is Denzel Valentine really all those things you mentioned at NBA level?

He’s the safe pick but has no real upside. I’m prepared to gamble with this pick.

Hype Machine

By the time youre done waiting for Maker to play in big games, hes already on another team. 

Is Denzel Valentine really all those things you mentioned at NBA level?

He’s the safe pick but has no real upside. I’m prepared to gamble with this pick.

TheWhiteLion
    Participant

Im not necessarily a fan of the jazz but i think they can be successful if they are smart in the next two offseasons. In this draft i feel like they should try and get gary payton 2. He plays with all of his effort on every play and is a very good defensive player. Plus the jazz need a pg that can score defend and lead the team. I think he is way to low in this websites mock. And i think he can become one of the best all around players in the league if he gets some more experience and keeps developing. Almost all people that commented on this post have said they need an all out defensive and take over pg. i believe he is that guy

TheWhiteLion
    Participant

Im not necessarily a fan of the jazz but i think they can be successful if they are smart in the next two offseasons. In this draft i feel like they should try and get gary payton 2. He plays with all of his effort on every play and is a very good defensive player. Plus the jazz need a pg that can score defend and lead the team. I think he is way to low in this websites mock. And i think he can become one of the best all around players in the league if he gets some more experience and keeps developing. Almost all people that commented on this post have said they need an all out defensive and take over pg. i believe he is that guy

celticsthug

would you jazz fans do Gordon Hayward and number 12 pick for # 3 from Celtics. or maybe d favors and 12

celticsthug

would you jazz fans do Gordon Hayward and number 12 pick for # 3 from Celtics. or maybe d favors and 12

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login