Jay Williams on Andrew Wiggins being the #1 pick in 2014 & why Kentucky makes the most sense

Windy City Assassin
Jay Williams on Andrew Wiggins being the #1 pick in 2014 & why Kentucky makes the most sense

Last night during the game Williams went on to sum it up as.... If Wiggins goes to any other school besides Kentucky, he would have to be the man and a lot would be expected as far as scoring.

Would he still become the #1 pick if he doesn't average 25ppg or dominate on a nightly basis?

Williams also said....If Wiggins were to choose Kentucky, he could average 9-10ppg and hide behind other talent which would almost help his cause even more to becoming the #1 pick.

Tyrober
Tyrober's picture
Wiggins doesn't need

Wiggins doesn't need Kentucky. Kentucky has all the swag and all the best players want to go there, but Wiggins is the best of the best. He can completely change the face of any organization he goes too. Him averaging 10ppg certainly and hiding certainly isn't going to help him become the #1 pick. Him dominating his competition and showing why he is great will be the reason he is the #1 pick.

Windy City Assassin
I believe Wiggins is a sure

I believe Wiggins is a sure thing coming out of HS like LeBron he's something like a big deal, but what if becomes a Harrison Barnes in the aspect of being projected as the #1 pick and not dominate the collegiate competion?

M-Eazy
Only reason Harrison Barnes

Only reason Harrison Barnes looked that bad at UNC is because of Roy Williams. If he would've went to a school like Kentucky Barnes would've been one and done without a doubt.

With that said Wiggins needs to stay away from UNC and Roy Williams.

Siggy
Please. The reason why

Please. The reason why Barnes didn't look as good was because of his lack of ball skills. That would NOT have changed at Kentucky.
Neither coach is a great teacher.

surve
surve's picture
that is one of the reasons

that is one of the reasons why he looked bad at UNC, but it wouldve been a totally different story if he were at UK, same with McAdoo. Roy is so bad and his lineups suck, so players immediate flaws become magnified. all players have flaws but UK players are disguised much better. if Roy had developed the big boys this year and had Hairston and McDonald playing more from jumpstreet....there would be no reason for McAdoo to be outside of 15' taking jumpshots....something he is obviously not good at. Playing with a lot of great players allows you to not have to try to earn a living outside of your comfort zone. Do not confuse that with someone being a different player. Barnes or McAdoo at UK would be the same player....just not look as bad. There is no way I believe those two wouldve stayed 2 years at UK. So I see where M-Eazy was going with that.

Wiggins is a different prospect all together. Still, if he goes somewhere where he has to be THE man, some of his weaknesses have a greater chance to be exposed. If he went to UK though (and I hope he doesnt) you really wont be able to tell too much more about him than we already know.

surve
surve's picture
Wiggins is different.

Wiggins is different. Tremendous athlete that can do a lot of things. He can dominate no matter where he goes. Barnes wasnt put in a position to dominate. He is a shooter and Roy Williams refused to place another shooter beside him. He RARELY played Barnes and Bullock at the same time as freshmen. As sophomores...only when Strickland went down. Did the same this year with Bullock. They wouldnt have made the tourney had he not put Hairston in beside Bullock in the nick of time. When you have only one perimeter threat on the floor, easy to key in on them. Plus Barnes lack of ballhandling and finishing ability in the lane made it worse because he was forced to create.

Wiggins is totally different. He doesnt really need shooters around him to do his thing. One on one he is going to be too hard to guard and in the open court he is too explosive. If there wouldnt have been an age minimum, Barnes wouldve been 1st pick out of HS. Still, he and Wiggins are TOTALLY different prospects.

@activehustle
@activehustle's picture
Not a Jay fan but he is

Not a Jay fan but he is correct! All this hype around him he would have to put up numbers Durant did at Texas at FSU, Kansas, etc. If he doesn't put up numbers he will get judged like Harrison Barnes. And I think Harrison will be a good pro who played in a bad college system. Roy Williams have not put studs in the NBA from UNC. He will not have any pressure at UK, look at MKG numbers and he went #2.

WolfRob
WolfRob's picture
Wiggins is twice the prospect

Wiggins is twice the prospect Harrison was. (thats saying a lot, but this is once in a generation talent.)

M-Eazy
Andrew Wiggins doesn't seem

Andrew Wiggins doesn't seem like the type that wants to average 10 ppg on a stacked team. He seems like the type that wants to average 25ppg on a good team playing against the stacked team. I just don't see why anyone else would want to go to Kentucky. They already have enough and it's only 40 minutes in a game.

I know if I was a recruit of Wiggins caliber I would take the year of pre-employment and have fun with my best friend around all those beautiful women in Florida. He has to have a terrible season to ruin his draft stock at this current moment.

samosas
The longer the ordeal lasts,

The longer the ordeal lasts, the more inclined I am to say that Wiggins will end up at Kentucky. If any team in the next 20 years has a chance to go 40-0, it's next year's Kentucky team. Now, the likelihood of that happening is very,very small. But it's just like the lottery, however small the increase, the more tickets you buy, the better chance you have to win. It just so happens the tickets in this scenario are lottery picks.

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
Jay Williams

Was spouting a lot of statements I completely disagreed with last night, this being one of them. Just felt like he did not think it through. In this case, what he was saying makes sense to an extent, he just sensationalized it greatly. If Andrew went somewhere besides Kentucky, odds are he is not going to average 25 ppg. Hell, he didn't even do it in high school this year, albeit they play 32 minutes and he easily could have had most of his games not been blow outs.

The issue with the whole 25 ppg thing is, who else would be averaging 25 ppg? Jabari Parker? Aaron Gordon? Please. Those guys will probably be lucky to hit 18 ppg, that is being generous. Not that they both will not have great freshman seasons, just doubt they will have to put that much up to win or they will be on teams that require them to do so. Have to say, feel it will be the same for Andrew Wiggins where ever he may go if he does not choose Kentucky.

Now, if he does go to Kentucky, than their are spots in his game that definitely could be glossed over with the amount of talent on that squad. However, if Andrew takes a back seat, which he would by averaging 9-10 ppg, than that would probably give teams some serious doubts and probably make it more difficult than if he were averaging 16-18 ppg on Kansas, North Carolina or Florida State. Yes, we know Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist took the 4th and 5th most shots on the 2012 championship team. We also know they averaged 14.2 and 11.9 respectively while stuffing the stat sheet.

Nerlens Noel averaged 10.5 ppg and may very well be the first pick in the draft. However, no one really expected Nerlens to do much more than that. Plus, he rebounded well and was the active defender advertised by those who gave him the #1 billing in HS. The disappointment in Shabazz Muhammad is not that he did not score, it was that he did not really do much else besides score. This is what makes people see Marcus Smart and Ben McLemore, maybe even Anthony Bennett, as possible better draft prospects. I may not, though I am not making the picks.

If Andrew Wiggins goes anywhere, the expectations will be there. It will be about him being the all-around player that has everyone thinking he could be a potential franchise talent. If he goes to Kentucky and averages 9-10 ppg, I doubt people will be thrilled about that. If he averages 13-14, than that I am thinking he is golden, though that is a big difference in my mind. If he goes to another school, again, think 16-18 should probably be good. He also will need to provide his amazing athletic gifts to stuff the stat sheet in other categories, and I am guessing that should not be a problem.

Still, if Jay Williams thinks he needs to score 25 ppg anywhere other than Kentucky, he ain't making NBA picks either. Greg Oden and Derrick Rose did not average as many points per game as Kevin Durant and Michael Beasley. What they both did was finish national runner-up and show flashes of what made them potential franchise cornerstones. May not have worked out for Greg, he was still the first pick. My guess is if Andrew has a nice season and leads his team to better than they were otherwise if he does not choose Kentucky, someone else will have to have a monster year to knock him off the top spot. Feel that no one will have the juice to do so and that Jay Williams should have named names to support his sensationalized theory to give it any actual merit.

toruk
toruk's picture
I believe

I believe that he will be the first pick of the draft no matter where he goes. I believe that in a team with less talent, where he will have a bigger hole, wiggins will develop faster than at a team where he will play alongside many other great players.

mrhancoc
Really FSU is about the only

Really FSU is about the only choice that does not make sense due to making an NCAA title run. Kentucky might be the most stressfull but there Wiggins will be able to start right off tha back with other incoming freshmen and others that will really challange him day in and day out. The risky part is being out shined at Kentucky by fellow players and nit to mention time and stats will be decreased due to a team of many talents. Then UNC, Wiggins could star there and still have a nice supporting cast, it may have just a lil less raw talent than Kentucy but they have the experience behind them given if Pj/McAdoo/Bullock stays, but if just one should leave it get better for Wiggins as far as getting the sure start and more time anb maybe better stats. Kansas would also be good, I could see Wiggins and Seldon as a killer dynamic duo! Kansas would give him a chance to start but they would probably still end up less talented than Kentucky and UNC but still could possibly get real good as a team and make a title run, they also have some experience in key areas but not at the center position........so 1-Kentucky 2-UNC 3-Kansas 4-FSU

Siggy
What is the argument against

What is the argument against going to Kansas?

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
Jay Williams seems to think

That he needs to average 25 ppg anywhere other than Kentucky. He had no real argument besides that. Personally, think any choice Wiggins makes is fine, Kansas definitely being a good one also. Not to mention, he does not have to average 25 ppg to be the #1 pick. Just has to show the reasons why people think he should be in the first place.

CAROLINA BLUE NICK
CAROLINA BLUE NICK's picture
Couln't agree more with what

Couln't agree more with what MikeyV said. He doesn't have to average 25 ppg to still be drafted number 1. But I think what Williams was getting at is the fact that Wiggins is being touted as the next LeBron. A once in a generation type talent. Plus look at the positions Rose and Oden played. Derrick Rose is a point guard. He doesn't need to score 25 ppg. He helped lead his team to a National Championship game and thats what helped solidify his worthiness of being drafted number 1. I remember there being debates too on who should go number one between him and Beasley. It wasn't as clear as it seems now due to the success of Rose. And Oden needed the ball in order to dominate. It isn't like he is bringing the ball up court and calling isolation plays. Plus Oden was ranked number 1 over Durant coming out of high school and more hype was on him even though Durant had hype as well. Even when the 2007 Draft came rolling around it was no question he would be the number one pick and was considered the next great center even though he didn't dominate from a statistical standpoint the way KD did at Texas. Oden just put up solid numbers on a team that made it to the National Championship. Plus he was playing with other highly touted recruits in Mike Conley Jr. and Daequan Cook. With the type of hype Wiggins is receiving, I feel like people would be dissapointed if he didn't dominate the way people are expecting him to. Remember all the hype O.J. Mayo received coming out of high school? I remember hearing about Mayo way before I even knew who Derrick Rose, Eric Gordon or Michael Beasley were. People were somewhat dissapointed with Mayo too even though he averaged 20 ppg. His team didn't even make it out the first round of the NCAA Tournament and he was eventually drafted 3rd overall. I think a player of his caliber and the hype that he is receiving should go somewhere and dominate like KD or Beasley did as freshmen with as much hype as he is getting. This is a very talented class. Julius Randle or Jabari Parker could easily be number 1 draft picks if Wiggins fails to meet the expectations that are given to him. If he goes to Kentucky, I think he will still go number one even with averaging 10-12 ppg just because of the fact that he is surrounded by such great talent that he doesn't need to dominate. But if he chooses to go anywhere other than Kentucky, I think people will be dissapointed and may question his worthiness of being number one if he doesn't dominate.

rileymcshea3
rileymcshea3's picture
It would be cool if Andrew

It would be cool if Andrew Wiggins made a surprise pick and went to USC with Andy Enfield and those 2 single handely turned that program around in a year,just imagine Enfields offense with Wiggins....But I'm not a USC fan at all so I have no clue what playr are even there

BO-Lieve
I think one positive for

I think one positive for going to UK for Wiggins is he would learn how to play with a bunch of talented players around him, and really make him a more efficient player. The NBA is the best of the best of the best. He'll be the top guy wherever he is drafted, and at UK he'll be the top guy, but Cal and all the other guys aren't just gonna bow down to him and give him the keys to the castle. I think at UK he will really learn what it takes to win, sacraficing his stats for the better of the team. Last years UK team that won it all had the same thing happen. Jones, accepted playing a lesser role and focusing more on rebounding and defense to help. Davis hardly ever had a play ran for him, and still lead the team in scoring.

At FSU, he'll be looked at by everyone to carry the team, and in the long-term it might make him believe he has to do everything to win and not trust teammates.

I'm not saying Wiggins is selfish whatsoever, but at UK he would expierence trusting others and not feeling the pressure to do everything. He'll still have to be the "guy", but he'll learn the difference between being the leader and go-to-guy and feeling the pressure to do everything on his own.

spenserb1701@ya...
i agree

Kentucky also would allow him to play the perimeter a lot more then any of the other schools.

At 6-7, maybe 6-8 He is going to be a 3 or a 2 in NBA, Kentucky has WCS, Dakari Johnson, Randle, Wiltjer, Marcus Lee, and Derek Willis as PF/C. Also Poythress to play down low and a .0001% Nerlens Noel.

That's 7(or 8) other guys that can score down low and allow him to play outside the paint, at FSU he would have to be a PF.

ItsVictorOladipo
ItsVictorOladipo's picture
I know that all reports

I know that all reports indicate that Wiggins is going to Kentucky or FSU but I still think the best fit for his talent would be Ohio State.

With Deshaun Thomas probably leaving school to enter the draft, Wiggins would be able to immediately step into his shoes as the go to guy on the team. He would have Aaron Craft getting him the ball, and the plethora of solid veterans around him; Lenzelle Smith Jr and Shannon Scott in the backcourt, LaQuinton Ross and Sam Thompson in the frontcourt, with Amir Williams at center.

He would be allowed to shine more than at UK where minutes and shots will be more spread out and he will have a better supporting cast than at FSU where he is more likely to get frustrated with losing.

And just in case anyone is wondering, I'm not an OSU fan.

NickWayne87
What if wiggins

"shocks the world" as his brother Nick Wiggins put it on twitter and goes to Witchita State? His brother plays for them and they're in the final four and have a better chance of making it back than FSU lol......

Thepessimest
Wiggins' strength...

Many of you are commenting on who Wiggins is as a player. What does he do well? Why is he a sure thing? I have only seen "Ball Is Life" highlights, a game on ESPNU earlier this year against an overmatched team and last night's all star game.

When I saw Lebron I KNEW he was special. WHen I saw Durant I immediately knew he was special...because of their skill set.

I watch Wiggins last night and I am unsure about what elite skill set he has. So someone please educate me on this one

redone1
I would say his elite skill

I would say his elite skill that will translate seamlessly to the nba is his quickness at his size. His spin move if absolutely filthy and will be a weapon in the league. He obviously got more then that but I would say that skill is his best.

Ghost01
Ghost01's picture
Remember, Anthony Davis went

Remember, Anthony Davis went to a stacked team and got picked #1. But he was all defense, and his rookie season has been underwelming. If Wiggins goes to UK, and doesn't dominate, it will be a question mark above everything else. There's just too much depth on that team for him to stand out like he could at any of these other schools.

Windy City Assassin
Flashback Friday!

Flashback Friday!

RSS: Syndicate content