Jack "I scored 138 points in a game" Taylor is at it again.

MJ FOR LIFE 23
MJ FOR LIFE 23's picture
Jack "I scored 138 points in a game" Taylor is at it again.

Just when you think you'll never hear from this guy again, he's at again scoring 109 points in a Div. III game against Crossroads College.

GRINNELL, Iowa -- Jack Taylor renewed his membership in the Century Club.

Taloy scored 109 points for Division III Grinnell College on Sunday, shooting 24-for-48 on 3-pointers in a 173-123 win over Crossroads. He poured in 53 during the first nine minutes of the second half.

The 5-foot-10 guard from Black River Falls, Wis., set an NCAA record for any level by scoring 138 points last Nov. 20 in a 179-104 win over Faith Baptist Bible College.

The only other player to score more than 109 in an NCAA game was Rio Grande's Clarence "Bevo" Francis, who had 113 against Hillsdale in 1954.

Against Crossroads College, in Rochester, Minn., Taylor was 35 of 70 overall from the field while playing only 29 minutes. He made 15 of 17 foul shots.

"Just like last year, I couldn't have done this without my teammates," Taylor said. "I give so much credit to them. This truly was a team effort. I'm thankful for the program and the people I have playing with me."

Taylor scored 71 points in the Pioneers' 144-99 victory Friday in the season opener against Finlandia.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/hCIE2nc27yo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/hCIE2nc27yo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

MJ FOR LIFE 23
MJ FOR LIFE 23's picture
Did the forum go back to the

Did the forum go back to the old way of putting videos? I forgot how to do it now...

Tongue-Out-Like-23
Tongue-Out-Like-23's picture
Yeah, just click on "Switch

Yeah, just click on "Switch to plain text editor" at the bottom and post the code.

Taylor Gang Mike
Taylor Gang Mike's picture
What year is he?I wonder if

What year is he?I wonder if Davidson or Butler will give him a chance. He may be D1 if hes killing competetion like that

NickWayne87
He's a sophmore

but he's 23

For_Never_Ever
For_Never_Ever's picture
I don't get how coaches on

I don't get how coaches on both teams and players could allow this to happen. Yeah , this was a team effort of giving him the green light and only feeding one person the ball. He doesnt happen to be a special needs student ?

ProudGrandpa
ProudGrandpa's picture
"He doesn't happen to be a

"He doesn't happen to be a special needs student?"

LOL!!!

McBestForBusiness
McBestForBusiness's picture
ESPN 30 for 30 presents

ESPN 30 for 30 presents Jackin' Up Shots: The Jack Taylor Story

Melo reviews: "That boy shoots when he wants, I shed a tear of joy when I saw how his teammates gave him the ball over and over and over....10/10"

WolfRob
WolfRob's picture
hahaha melo, Saluteeeeee.

hahaha melo, Saluteeeeee.

In all seriousness though, D-3 ball is bad...

Memphis Madness
"That's a lot of shots." --

"That's a lot of shots." -- Rudy Gay

Malcolmx
Malcolmx's picture
He is actually a Junior now.

He is actually a Junior now. So he has another year left. I did some reading about his background. He has some D2 and D1 interest in high school but needed to attend prep school for a 5th year to really prove himself against real competition.During his post grauduate year in prep he tore his ACL and it was over for his scholarship hopes. He worked hell of hard to get his knee back in order and is having a hell of a career on the D3 level. He shot 50% percent from the field in this recent game. I truly feel he could play at the D2 level or even low major D1 level and contribute. I salute the dude for making a come back after he could have gave up and I'm sure he is having the time of his life.

samosas
Word. How many peolpe can

Word. How many peolpe can take they've scored over 100 point per game in a men's college basketball game? Two? So to be the only living person to score 100 in a game..TWICE, props, brotha.

samosas
You know, if I were a coach

You know, if I were a coach at this po dunk college I would do the same thing. How many other ways are you going to get on TV and get expsoure as a DIII school? I'm sure that none of these kids think they're going anywhere in life with basketball as career. Why not make it as fun as possible? I guarantee you Grinell is making more money of their sports program now than it would if they were just another average-70-points-per-game team. Good on em.

Memphis Madness
Anthony Bennett might not

Anthony Bennett might not score 109 points TOTAL this season.

Da1pot
Da1pot's picture
Good player, but he is also

Good player, but he is also the product of the system Grinnell uses- in which the entire offense is literally based on shooting as many three-pointers as possible. The whole Grinnell System is an interesting concept and is almost 2K-esque in a way. Scoring over 100 points is a lot for a college game and rarely occurs, but for these guys, it's rare if they score under 100.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grinnell_System

Cavaliers420
Cavaliers420's picture
This kid can shoot the lights

This kid can shoot the lights out.

Grandmama
Grandmama's picture
They called him "Chuck"

They called him "Chuck" Taylor on Around the Horn, lol. Those games look like intramural games.

MUbballfan
MUbballfan's picture
Do none of these D3 teams

Do none of these D3 teams play defense? Jeez..

For_Never_Ever
For_Never_Ever's picture
One of the Around Horn guys

One of the Around Horn guys put out that this could be 'Harlem Globe Trotter' thing going on with him. That the other team is in on it letting him beat the crap out them. So it becomes big news.

McBestForBusiness
McBestForBusiness's picture
Man Rock Howard I better be

Man Rock Howard I better be getting paid some nice bucks to help someone else become famous for destroying me on the court...I'm lying I would probably let him drop atleast 60 on me for $20

Dale Worthington
Dale Worthington's picture
JT > Jabari

JT > Jabari

HandDownManDown13
HandDownManDown13's picture
Naw, he plays in a weak D3

Naw, he plays in a weak D3 conference. Teams in the UAA or NESCAC would crush them.

The way he scores that much is, he shoots every shot and doesn't pass. His teammates pass him the all every time.

But most of all, his team doesn't play defense. They play a full court jump press. Basically they try to pressure in the full court, and attempt to jump on the first two passes for a steal. If they don't get one of those steals, they actually let the other team score. That way they can jack up the pace and run teams that aren't in as good of shape.

It's kind of a &$#%#&@!ization of basketball if you ask me. Kinda dope that he scored that much, but the numbers arent as impressive when you consider this.

TallmanNYC
TallmanNYC's picture
These aren't basketball games

These aren't basketball games in any way like we know and understand basketball. We are impressed by him scoring 100 because in the context of our games no player ever does that. Grinnell has a system that makes the coach famous and allows him to recruit pretty good players. The Grinnell team completely outclasses many of the D3 teams in its league. So it can implement this crazy game plan of shoving as many possible possessions into a game as possible. That is all this is, a game plan that takes a normal 100 possessions per team game and jacks it up into the 150 level.

Grinnell puts four guys on the floor who trap and press and try to get steals. They gamble and overcommit all over the floor because the goal on defense is to either get a steal or give up a contested layup as fast as possible. They set up one designated scorer and the four guys (who get subbed a lot to keep them fresh) feed him, set picks for him and grab offensive rebounds for him.

Obviously this is a terrible strategy. The opposing team simply needs to break the trap and they will generally get a layup. On the defensive end they can focus on just the one scorer and defensive rebounding. And that one scorer is generally going to get pretty tired even though he completely rests on defense as part of this strategy. However, Grinnel uses this against teams they could probably beat playing 4 on 5. So victory in these games in 100% assured. The competition is so lopsided that Grinnel can afford to do this wacky stuff and it works really well. That said, I must admit that in Taylor they seem to have one of the best players they've ever had for this strategy.

It is kind of neat, but it doesn't really have much to do with the game of basketball that other folks are playing.

fito91
Even when you consider

Even when you consider Grinnell's strategy, it's still impressive to score 100 points in a game. He shoots a ton, but you still have to make a high percentage of those shots to reach 100. I think he was 24-48 on 3's which is great no matter what level you play at.

RSS: Syndicate content