It's Over...Draft Prediction That Will Make OKC the Winners of the 2009 NBA Draft

GreenLantern
GreenLantern's picture
It's Over...Draft Prediction That Will Make OKC the Winners of the 2009 NBA Draft

This morning I read that OKC and Detroit discussed a trade involving the 15th pick which has been confirmed that the Pistons do NOT want because they are clearing major and I mean MAJOR cap space for Boozer this year and a free agent next year. The deal would include Amir Johnson and OKC presumably would only have to give up an expiring contract(s). If this this goes down (and it makes a ton of sense for teams) then I now see what OKC is doing: overloading their team with as much young top talent as possible. This move would give OKC a possible THREE first round draft picks this year, which would give them UNBELIEVABLE flexibility. They would then OWN this draft. Think about it:

Scenario 1- They could draft a big at #3 (Thabeet or Hill), draft the player that falls out of the lottery at 15 (look at your mock drafts everyone. there will be an amazing pickup there because someone good will fall) and finish off with picking the best available at 25 or a solid player that fills a need.

Scenario 2- Select Harden at 3 or move down to select Harden or someone else in the top 10. Harden fills an offensive need on the wing, so at 15 you can take a surprise pick for a big man or international. At 25, take an international and stash him overseas or take the best player available

Scenario 3- Trade any combo of the arsenal of picks you have plus a player for an impact big man (Think Clippers first people then other possible teams)

There are many other scenarios than just these three. And just think, OKC will have another shot at a top 5 pick next season. Incredible. Again, I know what OKC is doing if they do this. If OKC GM Sam Presti pulls this trade with Detroit off, he will be an official contender for best GM in the league without question. I urge people to LOOK and STUDY this possible trade. This was actually reported first hand on another draft site.

gatorheels
gatorheels's picture
Yep I read about this too.

Yep I read about this too. OKC should do this trade for sure. I also agree that some star player is going to fall out of the lottery.

GreenLantern
GreenLantern's picture
It makes

It makes TOO much sense for both (and possibly other) parties. I think we may be looking at the first confirmed draft day deal guys.

Thunder09
Thunder09's picture
Yes!

I read this as well. As aThunder Fan i am stocked about the possibilities it will bring our way for draft day! Blake Dont pack ur bags for LA yet. lol

GreenLantern
GreenLantern's picture
Lol

Lol Thunder09! I still believe Blake is going to the Clips, but if this deal gets done, LA will have competition for best draft of 09 automatically. Sam Presti just may be the basketball genius everyone says he is. We'll see.

Thunder09
Thunder09's picture
i hope

i hope Sam is. i seriously dont think that even the clippers GM is stupid enough to pass blake by or trade him. this would give the thunder a lot of options for our ball club and some major players. its exciteing news

auber
auber's picture
Explain me this trade

Explain me this trade because All i read was dumping Amir Johnson which makes little to no sense at all.

GreenLantern
GreenLantern's picture
Agreed

I agree it's exciting. And one more point to convince the skeptics even further: OKC currently has amazing cap flexibility, enough to take on multiple contracts or sign/trade for a big time player/free agent. Checkmate.

auber
auber's picture
It just doesn't make much

It just doesn't make much sense to me that the Pistons would just give away Amir Johnson and the Number 15 even for cap relief. Amir Johnson can play in this league given the minutes. He's been backed off because of Antonio Mcdyess and Jason Maxiel. With Mcdyess as a FA I don't know if this will fall through, but that's just me

GreenLantern
GreenLantern's picture
I like Amir too

I like Amir too auber but you're missing the point of the trade. The Pistons are shopping Amir to get under the cap so they can sign Boozer, Bosh, or some other star of the 2010 class, which will be LIGHTYEARS better than the talented Amir Johnson, who is a nice backup bigman. It's all about cap space and flexibility as well as fan support which is why people (not you auber) need to stop with these ridiculous fanactic trade scenarios involving Hall of Famers under 30 years old.

auber
auber's picture
I just bash on most of them

I just bash on most of them that don't make sense. It's an interesting move, but I mean Amir Johnson and the 15 for a dump? It's just fishy to me. I know Detroit's in a somewhat rebuilding mode, but this might be going over the deep end for me. It's going to be an intriguing off-season though. Hopefully the Thunder get this one right and draft Thabeet.

Onegodth50
OKC draft choices

I really like this trade for both teams.

If i was the GM for the Thunder this is what i would do with the picks! (2 scenarios)

1st scenario:

#3 - SG- James Harden. I believe Memphis will take Thabeet with the second pick so it only makes sense to me that they take a scoring wing to help take some of the scoring load off the big 3 (durant,green,westbrook). I dont believe Harden is giving enough credit athletically and he probably is the most NBA-ready wing in this draft.

# 15 - C - BJ Mullens. I understand this might be a reach for them to take him here and they have failed on alot of big men before (Seattle years). But he doesnt need to score right away and you cant teach 7'0. It doesn't ruin their youth movement and he might have the most upside out of the Centers in the draft.

# 25 - PF - Tyler Hansbrough. Alot of people might HATE this player but taking him would a wise decision. He is NBA-ready and wont be worried about getting shots. He is a high-energy player and his face-up game improved alot over his 4 years at UNC.

* I believe Sacramento and Memphis will swap first round picks in the draft (2nd and 4th). Sacramento will then draft Rubio.

Scenario 2:

# 3 - C- Hasheem Thabeet- He is the perfect person for the thunder to get in this draft. He brings everything they lack on defense and will help them get what they wanted earlier in the year(Chandler trade). He wont need to get his own shoots just like he didn't need to at Uconn.

# 15 - SG- Terrence Williams- Why not get someone who can do everything type of player. At 6'6 he is a good sized SG and has the ability to run the point at times. His offense might not be where it can be and with 3 young 20 pg scorers(durant, green, westbrook) it might be better to find "glue" players to fill around them.

#25 - PG- Patty Mills- I believe every team should have a "game-changer" coming off the bench. Every saw (or should have) what he did over the summer to the PG's on the USA team, so why not take him hoping that for 12-20 mins a night in the NBA he will be able to do that to lesser quality PG's.

GreenLantern
GreenLantern's picture
I like it

I like where your head is at OneGod. You get it. My only disagreement would be T. Williams in your scenario 2. If sefolosha isn't the bench player they give up in the Piston deal, why would you draft his clone that high? Your logic overall is dead on though. But let me hit everyone with this: OKC drafts Thabeet AND Mullens, then takes a Budinger, Ellington, Williams or an International at 25? See, this trade would allow them the flexibility to ease concerns about the two top centers in the draft by letting them duke it out while filling a need at the 5. Then at 25 you can take one the wing players above.

GreenLantern
GreenLantern's picture
Chicago

Chicago's 16th pick has also been linked to OKC, as it's known that Chicago does not like its draft position at all and if they can't trade up, they will try to trade the pick for other assets. I think that one is less likely, but the rumor proves one thing: OKC wants an additional pick in the middle of the round, and is trying to stockpile picks either to make a future trade or load up young draft talent, Blazer-style.

auber
auber's picture
let's not forget the Thunder

let's not forget the Thunder own the rights to Serge Ibanka.

GreenLantern
GreenLantern's picture
Exactly auber.

Exactly auber. And they also own Phoenix's 1st rounder next year! Sam Presti is working on something HUGE here...

bonishswhs
Thabeet and Mullens

I just cant see the logic in them picking both of them because they already have krstic who will at least come off the bench if he doesnt start, so that just creates a logjam at the C position. I loved the idea of getting Harden (scoring they need at the 2, and tested great at the combine), Mullens (big C with lots of upside who doesnt need to come in and contribute immediately), and Hansborough. I think the Thunder would love to have him because hes exactly what they need: a hustle big off the bench. With Green as the starting 4, they don't have a ton of size and Tyler tested really good in terms of measurements and athleticism so he can be a guy off the bench who grabs rebounds and produces in limited minutes.

GreenLantern
GreenLantern's picture
I was wondering when

I was wondering when someone was going to bring up Kristic. As anyone who watched the Nets while he was there knows, Krstic can play center AND power forward with equal effectiveness, and some people said he was BETTER at PF. Green is 3, not a 4, and Durant is a 3 who can play 2 for stretches. I agree Harden is the safer choice with the first pick, but don't be surprised if they draft Hill or Thabeet along with Mullens. Remember it's not about balancing the roster in a traditional sense, the strategy they are working on is to stockpile talent and VERSATILITY. Remember how Portland has logjams at the 1 and 3? That's the model the Thunder working under, but times 2 because everyone knows they won't make the playoffs in 2010, but if they can manuever this watch out in 2011 or definitely 2012...

auber
auber's picture
I just have this feeling

I just have this feeling Jeff Green is going to be trade bait in this years draft.

TONYDABOSS77
TONYDABOSS77's picture
good one

i made a possible draft day trade that the thunder could do if they had the first pick, but i haven't been able to think of one as perfect as this one for if they didn't (which they didn't) .. great post man

auber
auber's picture
Durant needs to stay as the

Durant needs to stay as the 3 and they need to build around him. I think they are better off going big and snagging Thabeet at 3. Having Johnson at the 4 and Kristic and Collison off the bench isn't as bad as some may think it sounds. You have Durant and Green at the 3. I think you go for a swing at 15 and then a serviceable pg in with another pick. I think Thabeets more intriguing to them over Harden, but with their lack of success of drafting C's they might just shy away from him.

GreenLantern
GreenLantern's picture
Thanks Tony

Thanks Tony. As a side note, I believe if this deal goes down as reported, then of course Piston haters like me will watch the Boozer/ Prince/ Hamilton led Pistons next year in the playoffs instead of rebuilding.

bonishswhs
Krstic

I never really got an oppurtunity to see him play so thanks for the input on him. However, I still really think Harden is the best pick for them at #3. In college, he faced constant double teams and still put up huge numbers. the guy can flat out score. As a 3rd/4th option (or in a 6th man role), with a decent defender on him he could put up some pretty good numbers. he's also much more athletic than most thought and seems to be pretty NBA-ready. Supposedly, Mullens is also coveted by the Bucks (draftexpress) so if thats true, he might not even be there when they pick at 15, if they make the trade. if thats the case I think they should take either a backup PG (I think Jennings could fall to there) since there are so many in this draft or someone like James Johnson or Earl Clark. I hope they can somehow pull a trade for Griffin, but I just dont think even the clippers are dumb enough to do that.

GreenLantern
GreenLantern's picture
I agree

I agree personally with everything you just said bonishswhs. Just saying how this possible move by OKC puts them in a position to control this draft with a whole number of scenarios.

gwh21
If they really WANT to get

If they really WANT to get greedy and acquire more draft picks ALONG with this trade, one of the very possible destinations would be Minnesota. they trade the 3 (which would assure minni of whats left of thabeet rubio) and maybe watson or another role player/expiring contract and a 2nd rounder next year for the 6 and either the 18 or 28 (whichever they can get, or they might get lucky and get both). if it goes along with what the OP said, that would give OKC 4 or 5 picks in the first round. from there they could trade for basically anything they wanted within reason. they could package the 2 mid teen picks and get back into the top 10 and hope that hill drops (im just gonna say they trade with the bucks).

In this scenario (taking chad fords mock into account): If they get only 2 from minni and trade back into top ten
6: James Harden (I have read rumors that he would drop, kings dont need a SG and the wizards need a big man more so i see him dropping)
10: Jordan Hill (I'm just going with chad ford and saying he drops...HUGE STEAL)
25: Wayne Ellington/Toney Douglas/Danny Green (they need a shooter/maybe an on ball defender...if both its between Douglas and Danny Green...straight shooter defiantly ellignton...best shooter other than Curry IMO)

if they get all 3 picks from minni: stay the same with the other 3 but add...
28: Rodrigue Beaubois (stick with the trend and take a physical freak to stash in europe for 2-3 years)

gwh21
ps...looking back on my

ps...looking back on my post...that would be a freaking SQUAD

pg: westbrook/whoever they get with 25 (lets be honest...westbrook isnt sitting much and when he does its gonna be in KD's or Harden's hands
sg: harden/thabo/whoever they get with the 25
sf: durant/thabo/danny green if they pick him
pf: green/hill/johnson/collison
c: kristic/hill/jonhson/collison if they wanna go small play hill at center and RUUUUUUUN

not to mention they have 2 picks (i think) next year in what is turning into the john wall sweepstakes. but they would draft probably a center, Solomon Alabi maybe? big athletic shot blocker...which would be their only hole. and whatever is left whenever they draft.

auber
auber's picture
Too bad Hills not dropping

Too bad Hills not dropping out of the top 10 or even the top 5. That won't happen.

superjack
OKC

i think that OKC should trade with the pistons get the 15th pick and...

3rd-Thabeet - fills up that defesive pressence man with great shot blocking.

15th - best SG available or Blair - gives them instant inside scorer that they lack

25th- best PG - backup for Westbrook, prob Patty mills. They could even play small moving Westbrook to the 2.

Lineup
PG-Westbrook
SG-thabo
SF- KD
PF- either blair or Krstic
C- Thabeet

How good will jeff green be coming off the bench?? there's your 6th man of the year right there!! he's good for at least 15 and 7

GreenLantern
GreenLantern's picture
Don't forget

Don't forget that OKC can trade assets such as picks 15, 25, expiring contracts to get a young vet like... Chris Kaman, who the Clippers are well known to be desperate to unload. OKC's 2010 roster could then look something like this:

C- Kaman/Krstic
PF- Green/Krstic/Hill?
SF- Durant
SG-Harden?/Sefolosha
PG- Westbrook

There are many other possibilities with their first pick if they can pull off a trade with their 15th and 25th picks, but you get the idea.

KidDelicious35
KidDelicious35's picture
Really hard to predict what OKC will do

With 2 first rounders this year and next, along with some expiring contracts, and a solid core of young talent who can play multiple positions (RW at 1 or 2, KD at 2 or 3, and JG at 3 and 4), they are in a position to draft the best available at each spot or package picks to acquire a proven vet. Touching on the Detroit trade rumor, I believe that OKC would receive Johnson and the 15th from Detroit for the 25th pick NOT an expiring contract. Detroit is looking to clear cap space for this offseason in order to make a run at 2 big time free agents (rumored to be Boozer and Ben Gordon), so it makes no sense for them to take on an expiring contract because it doesn't save them any money. OKC is able to take on Amir's contract without sending anything back in return because they have the cap room. Detroit will save around 5 million in cap room by completing this trade (roughly 4 million from Johnson's contract and around 1 million in money by dropping from 15 to 25), and they would still have a first round pick. Presti is definitely in a position to seriously upgrade the talent in OKC, it will be interesting to see what he does.

jacoboram
Well last season the major

Well last season the major blunder were not the opponents but the injuries most of the major players been out of the season because of injuries ,which is defined by nothing talking about Blake or any other superstars its been the prime factor.

Regards: handbags

Jeffery
i do believe

that trade is an option but i dont think anyone will concider it. am i wrong ? dior ring

Tongue-Out-Like-23
Tongue-Out-Like-23's picture
you last 2 posts do know

you last 2 posts do know that this was about last years draft that already passed right?

RSS: Syndicate content