If you could Re-Do the 2009 Lottery Draft, what would you change?

ilike.panochas
ilike.panochas's picture
If you could Re-Do the 2009 Lottery Draft, what would you change?

Keep in mind that I dont get to watch every team on this Mock so I based their needs off of what I know and their record indicate. And this is only for the Lottery draft and not the entire 1st Round. With that said, your welcome to post your own version of Mock.

1) Clippers - Blake Griffin: No need to change this pick, Clippers hit the Jackpot here.

2) Grizzlies - Stephen Curry: I seriously believe the reason Memphis hasn't been able to take the next step to make the playoffs is because of their PG position. Mike Conley has been given every opportunity and I just dont see him being able to lead this team to the playoffs.

3) Thunders - James Harden: No need to change here, Thunders are a contending team and they really don't need much changing. A Center would be nice, but there was no Center in this class worthy of a lottery selection. Harden has played his role well as a bench player and has potential later down the road to become a dynamic scorer if given the opportunity.

4) Kings - Tyreke Evans: The Kings got this one right also. They found themselves a player that can be the face of their franchise for the next 10 years.

5) Timberwolves - Brandon Jennings: He is a better player than Johnny Flynn and has shown better durability. TWolves has had problems at the PG spot this season.

6) Timberwolves - Ricky Rubio: For his potential, his marketability, and his potential to fill the arena, I think Minnesota is in need of a player such as Rubio. I think it is worth the investment of not having him for atleast 2 seasons and have him come over when hes ready.

7) Warriors - Jrue Holiday: He and Monta Ellis would make a pesky defensive backcourt. It would also mean that Monta would not have to guard SG as Holiday has the size to handle such defensive assignment. Defensively, Warriors are a terrible team, Holiday could potentialy make them a better team than what they are now.

8) Knicks - Ty Lawson: I think he would be great for D'Antoni's fast pace offense with his speed and quickness.

9) Raptors - DeMar DeRozan: I wouldn't change this pick. The Raptors are in need of a "star" player, while DeRozan may not be that, he certainly has the tools and athleticism to become one if his work ethic matches his talent.

10) Bucks - Darren Collison: With Jennings drafted early, Bucks would have to go with Collison who has potential to be a solid NBA PG.

11) Nets - DaJuan Blair: He would be perfect to pair up with Lopez.

12) Bobcats - Terrence Williams: His versatility and athletcism just cant keep him out of the lottery. I think he could be the Bobcats future SG once Stephen Jackson moves on or decline.

13) Pacers - Taj Gibson: He may be thin, and undersized, but he is long and tough. He would be an upgrade over Josh McRoberts.

BKKnicksfan
BKKnicksfan's picture
Here's my mock draft redo.

Here's my mock draft redo.

1. Clippers- Blake Griffin: No need to change this.

2. Grizzlies- Brandon Jennings: I think Jennings is a solid PG who could run that offense. Conley still had 1st round value in 2009 summer

3. Thunder- Stephen Curry: Shooter, makes Westbrook even scarier.

4. Kings- Tyreke Evans: No movement and why should there be? He still has issues going left and will need to be less ball dominant

5. Timberwolves- Darren Collison: The leader of the offense

6. Timberwolves- James Harden: Perfect fit next to Collison and Brewer

7. Warriors: Jordan Hill: They wanted a big back then and he would have been it

8. Knicks: Jrue Holiday: I WANTED HIM. He's a great defender and a progressing playmaker

9. Raptors: Ty Lawson: DeRozan was great, but they need a PG

10. Bucks: Roddy B: I think they pick him and he'd actually be solid. They wouldn't make the playoffs however

11. Nets: Taj Gibson: I dunno, they need big man help and he'd be perfect

12. Bobcats: Terrance Williams: Great overall player...still a knucklehead

13. Pacers: Eric Maynor: They need a PG

14. Suns: Jonas Jerebko: I WANTED HIM TOO. But he'd be a Marion style guy for them.

ilike.panochas
ilike.panochas's picture
^^^

You think Brandon Jennings is better than Stephen Curry? I don't know about that.

BKKnicksfan
BKKnicksfan's picture
I never said he was. I said

I never said he was. I said looking at the way the teams were at the time, Jennings would have been a better fit.

gone
How bout the Wizards redo

How bout the Wizards redo that trade for Miller and Foye? That'd make me happy

Demarcus Oneal
Demarcus Oneal's picture
How is Tyreke 4th

How is Tyreke 4th

Toronto16
Toronto16's picture
Jennings is better than

Jennings is better than Stephen Curry if you ask me.

And Minnesota probably would have selected Rubio and DeRozan. Thank God they didn't though.

BigD
1. Clippers- Blake Griffin:

1. Clippers- Blake Griffin: Of Course

2. Grizzlies- Stephen Curry: Purely because OJ Mayo could have the ball in his hands more and Curry could serve mainly as a shooter

3. Thunder- James Harden: He fits in well, leave it the same

4. Kings- Tyreke Evans: He wouldn't have fit in well with the 1st 3 teams.

5. Timberwolves- Jrue Holiday: Maybe he could've helped bring a bit of defense to the Wolves

6. Timberwolves- DeMar DeRozan: Again for the defense, would have been a solid defensive backcourt.

7. Warriors: Hasheem Thabeet: With the urgent need for a inside defensive presence, i'd gamble on Thabeet, he'd certainly get the minutes.

8. Knicks: Jordan Hill: I still think they gave up on him way too soon. He might've been handy alongside Stoudemire

9. Raptors: Ty Lawson: seems to be the best fit for them.

10. Bucks: Brandon Jennings: seems to fit well for the Bucks, but a volume shooter

11. Nets: DaJuan Blair: They need rebounds, Lopez wasn't a good rebounder

12. Bobcats: Gerald Henderson: Starting to improve slowly and seems to fit in alright there

13. Pacers: Darren Collison: Should've gotten him in the draft.

14. Suns: Terrence Williams: I think him playing with veterans would've gotten his attitude right.

BKKnicksfan
BKKnicksfan's picture
So knowing how Jennings turns

So knowing how Jennings turns out....The Knicks would still pass on him? Makes no sense...

Ghost01
Ghost01's picture
The Jennings-Knick thing

The Jennings-Knick thing shocks me. It seemed like that was such a natural fit.

BKKnicksfan
BKKnicksfan's picture
I'm not gonna lie: I wanted

I'm not gonna lie: I wanted Jrue Holiday over Jennings. LMAO, probably a terrible call but I was REALLY high on Holiday man.

Ghost01
Ghost01's picture
Instead you got door number

Instead you got door number 3, Jordan Hill. Or should i say T Mac's expiring contract...?

Steroid
Steroid's picture
BigD

Lmfao... You still got Hasheem Thabeet in the Lottery?!? Come on man.. I had to neg you just for that.

BKKnicksfan
BKKnicksfan's picture
I know...no Hill, no T-Mac

I know...no Hill, no T-Mac means no Amar'e.

I still feel bad...justing thinking of Holiday and Jerebko tearing up the Garden on rookie contracts

BigD
I know Hasheem Thabeet isn't

I know Hasheem Thabeet isn't very good, but how many people were at the time saying he shouldn't have been a lottery pick?? GSW needed interior defense urgently then and Thabeet could've at least gotten the court time to show whether he was actually any good, they didn't excactly have anything to lose.

RodBeamteam
RodBeamteam's picture
how?

Taj Gibson is getting no love in this thread i think he deserve to be a late lotto pick.

BigD
Well i did consider Taj

Well i did consider Taj Gibson, he could fit well, but one of GSW main problems was their bigs are way undersized or soft. Taj Gibson could easily fit their PF bill at the time, and then no overpaid David Lee. But Hasheem has the size the GSW needed more, and could be better utalized in their system, if they weren't gonna get Hasheem they shouldv'e gone for Taj i would think.

iguapops420
iguapops420's picture
1.Blake Griffin-20/10 rookie.

1.Blake Griffin-20/10 rookie. Enough said.

2.Stephen Curry- Best guard in the class and could play off with, or replace OJ/Conley.

3.Wesely Mathews-More proven player. Brings the shooting/scoring of Harden, and the defense of Thabo. In otherwords, they get the legit starter they long for at the 2.

4.Tyreke Evans-Why would they change a proven 20-5-6rookie for anyone left with the possible exception of BJ.

5.Ricky Rubio-They keep the pick they've wanted all along, and just play the waiting game with Ramon Sessions as a Stop Gap.

6.James Harden-Most well-rounded player at this point. Would develop as the primary facilitator of the tri until Rubio comes over, where he would then be able to play off Rubio as a shooter. Would have been better developed and had better potential in this role IMO.

7.Holiday-Missed out on Curry, and while they were very high on Jennings, I think they go with Holiday as his ability to offensively play with Ellis in a similar way as Curry does, and Defend the 2's that take advantage of Monta's size, or lack thereof.

8.Taj Gibson-I wanted to take Jennings here as he was perfect fit, but they end up getting All-Star worthy Felton as an F/A, so they go with the skinny,long,athletic,tough pf Taj Gibson. While not the flashiest player, Gibson has the potential, and production as a starter, of a double-double forward, who can already hit a 15 ft J,and defend, which is a good compliment to Amare who is an average rebounder.

9.Brandon Jennings-Jack gets traded and Toronto is set at pg for 10 years and maybe even sneak into the playoffs if Jennings, Calderon, Bosh,and Bargnani could all find the chemistry that was shared between TJ Ford, Jose Calderon, Chris Bosh, and Jorge Garbajosa a few years back. If not Jennings and Bargs isn't a bad nucleus to build around for the future. BJ seems to be fairly marketable too.

10.Darren Collison-They miss out on "Young Buck" this time around so they settle for "Steady Buck" Collison is as steady PG as there is.He can fit into a team that isn't very guard dependant such as his UCLA team's, and his current Pacers team that runs through Hibbert. Though as a starter his Rookie year he proved near 20-10 numbers in Paul's absence and with a Big like Bogut and a pick and pop threat like Ilyasova, 16-8 wouldn't have been out of the question.

11.Tywon Lawson-Devin Harris is a shoot first -second-and third player who doesn't move the ball and never takes his eyes off of the shotclock making it hard to find open teammates. Insert Lawson who would get plenty of burn with Devin oft-injured, and would quickly steal the reigns as PG of the future.

12.Terrence Williams-I remember the Cats' were stuck between T-Will and Henderson, ultimately choosing Gerald. I think given what they've each shown, I think they go Williams, as he is sort of a mix between Wallace and Jackson, and could really develop his game learning from the 2. Could eventually replace one or end playiong beside the 2 with his versatility.

13.Jordan Hill-Athletic and has a good motor. Developoing versatile offensive game and his off ball movemnet and activity would be the perfect compliment to Hibbert and Hansbrough. Terrific upside and an upgrade over McRoberts.

14.Demar DeRozan-Explosive athlete who could really develop nicely as a scorer beside of one of the best passer's in Steve Nash and one of the most fast breaking offenses in the Suns.

------------------------------------------------------

Barely Missed out in order of who I think were best. Johnny Flynn, Chase Budinger, DeJuan Blair,Omri Casspi, Toney Douglas, Marcus Thornton, and Jonas Jerebko(would have been higher had he not gotten injured)

ilike.panochas
ilike.panochas's picture
^^^^^ 0_0

I complete forgot Wesley Matthews was in this class. I guess that's what happens when you go Undrafted, which still baffles me.

iguapops420
iguapops420's picture
I know right. I was surprised

I know right. I was surprised when no one else even thought about him. Sleeper. I definitely would have taken him if it were today. At the time, I barely knew who he was. Just as Dominique James' teammate who could d up.

ilike.panochas
ilike.panochas's picture
Yea Matthews was a major

Yea Matthews was a major sleeper and has come thru. Although I wouldn't go as far as to say he's better than Harden and Evans and be the 3rd pick. Matthews belongs in the 1st round and perhaps late lottery, but not in the top 10, his ceiling is pretty average.

iguapops420
iguapops420's picture
That may be so but it

That may be so but it wouldn't have come down to him vs. Harden and Reke, because we now know Reke needs the ball in his hands and can't shoot. Also has too big of an Apha mentality. Okc wouldn't want to mess with the chemistry that had began to develop which is why it comes down to Harden or Wes and IMO, Wes is the more sure thing. He's better now and is a player who never stops working, and is always developing the aspects of his game he needs, which is part of the reason he has developed so much this season offensively. So I wouldn't exactly say his ceiling is low when he's already this good and still has room for improvement. It's not as if Harden is an EXTREMELY skilled/athletic player. His ceiling isn't that high either IMO. His advanced ballhandling skills aren't the greatest, and he doesn't have blow by speed. He's not nearly as polished as Roy, and if you ask me, he's more of a Deshawn Stevenson with a higher B-Ball I.Q. Both would be a fair pick since like I said the Thunder were looking for team players who were hardworking, higher character guys who could score/shoot/defend. I just prefer production over possibilty. Harden may end up with the better career if he were to leave his role player status in OKC, but I personally think that Wes would have been the overall better fit for the team. If they had Wes, they would have a legitimate starter who could play 30+ mpg. Imagine a lineup of

Krstic,Ibaka,Durant,Mathews,Westbrook with Maynor,Thabo, and Green off of the Bench is a little more productive as you're not having Thabo out there as many minutes as he is missing jumper's and being terrible offensively.

JimmeredYaWabafet
1. Clippers- Black Griffin 2.

1. Clippers- Black Griffin

2. Grizzles- Dejuan Blair

3.Thunder-James Harden

4.Kings- Tyreke Evans

5.Wolves-Rodrigue Beaubois

6.Wolves-Demar Derozan

7.Warriors-Stephen Curry

8.Knicks-Darren Collison

9.Raptors-Ty Lawson

10.Bucks-Jrue Holiday

11.Nets-Brandon Jennings

12.Bobcats-Jordan Hill

13.Pacers-Taj Gibson

14.Suns-Omri Casspi

Hitster
Hitster's picture
The Knicks were tracking both

The Knicks were tracking both Rubio and Thabeet during the 2009 draft process as I recall, if Rubio had fell to NY, Walsh may well have snapped him up like a shot and Rubio would have probably come over right away. Thabeet would have given the Knicks the defence they needed at that time but I could have seen him going out of rotation quite quickly if he had been found wanting as Coach D'Antoni is well known for not playing rookies who aren't NBA ready.

The Washington trade to the T-Wolves not going through could have landed Rubio in Washington or one of the other young guards so John Wall might have had another great young prospect alongside him already.

iguapops420
iguapops420's picture
How would nobody take Wes.

How would nobody take Wes. He's gettin slept on, and apparently Dejuan Blair somehow just got taken 2nd. And I was questioned for Wes Mathews.

JimmeredYaWabafet
Ive seen Mattews play for the

Ive seen Matthews play for the Kings before his name was John Salmons

JimmeredYaWabafet
though i probably should of

though i probably should of put him at 13

jsev24
MY PICKS 1.Clippers- Blake

MY PICKS

1.Clippers- Blake Griffin - barring injuries, I think he and Eric Gordon will break the Clipper Curse. Double double machine, tantalizing talent with ultra high motor and competitiveness. A crowd pleaser and one of the most exciting players in the league today. Future perennial All-star, can be one of the best PFs in the league.

2.Grizzles- Stephen Curry - would've been the Grizzlies PG of the future, definitely an upgrade over Mike Conley, or even be playing alongside him amidst OJ Mayo's struggles.

3.Thunder- James Harden - good fit for the Thunder, energizer of the 2nd unit, pretty underrated in offense and is improving in the defensive end. can be a key cog for the Thunder in the playoffs, and will one day play the starting SG instead of Sefolosha.

4.Kings- Tyreke Evans - Kings' new alpha male, 20/5/5 during his rookie year, I hope his team up with DMC will bring the Sacto fans in the playoffs again someday. Another future All-star despite his struggles with plantar fascitis today.

5.Wolves- Ricky Rubio - just a tantalizing PG for the TWolves to pass, has one of the best court-vision in all of basketball. Potential All-star definitely. He can be a good complement to Kevin Love if ever he with Minny,

6.Wolves - Wesley Matthews - now one of the best scorers in this draft class after going undrafted. Tough defender as well, would've filled the SG spot for Minny better than the other Wesley. (Johnson)

7.Warriors- Jordan Hill - they wanted a good big man during that draft, so Jordan Hill wouldn't have been a bad pick here. Excellent motor, pretty athletic for his height, not a bad defender and improving on offense.

8.Knicks - Brandon Jennings - Perfect fit for the Knicks. MSG would've been his new playground, D'Antoni's offense is tailor-made for him, and his cocky, yet explosive game is just perfect for NYK.

9.Raptors - Hasheem Thabeet - the defensive center that would push Andrea Bargnani to his natural PF spot. He would've had more playing time in the second unit even when Bosh was with the team. I want him to be successful, not a 12th man like he is with the Grizz.

10.Bucks- Jrue Holiday - Heady but talented PG, plus his defensive talent would've been fit for the Bucks' defensive mentality, and can eventually step-in as the Bucks' starting PG.

11.Nets- Roddy Beaubois - explosive scorer that can play alongside Devin Harris, can light up the score sheet, a Lopez-Harris-Beaubois-Favors club is a talented core for the Nets.

12.Bobcats- Terrence Williams - the one the Cats wanted in the draft, as athletic as Henderson, but a more versatile player. Can be a spark on the anemic Bobcats bench.

13.Pacers - Darren Collison - Who knows he will play for them eventually? He should've been drafted by the Pacers anyway, very steady PG, the best PG they had since probably Jamaal Tinsley.

14.Suns - Demar Derozan - can fill the lanes in the fastbreak alongside Nash, good SG for the Suns, can back up both Grant Hill and Jason Richardson then take over the SG or SF spots.

Note: When I redo the draft, I just noticed that this is very deep with talent and contibutors. The fact that I had to drop Jonas Jerebko, Omri Casspi, DeJuan Blair, Gerald Henderson, Taj Gibson, Ty Lawson and Eric Maynor made me think that way. LOL.

joecheck88
joecheck88's picture
1) blake griffin- of

1) blake griffin- of course
2) tyreke evans- he is just a better player than mayo. maybe this opens up a trade for a better pg(trading conley and mayo). evans and gay is a scary scoring duo. and i dont think shots would be a problem either as miami is proving as long as there is chemistry, the team can succeed.
3) james harden- im a believer in harden, i think he is gonna be the perfect player for this team.
4) brandon jennings- the kings grab their pg of the future.
5) stephen curry- wolves take a shooting point guard with a chance to be steve nash.
6) wes matthews- another good shooter but also a defender.
7) jordan hill- ive seen him play in houston this year and while still raw, he shows good energy and has shown improvement. he would be a good fit in gs.
8) ricky rubio- the small market teams heed the warning and dont draft rubio. ricky goes to the big apple and is either the savior of a dying franchise or another setback in a lonnng rebuilding process.
9) demar derozan- i think he is a good fit up there. hopefully he can become the star the raptors need him to be.
10) jrue holiday- a very good fit in milwaukee, he is already a good defender and his offense is already ahead of schedule, imo. could he be the next gary payton?
11) gerald henderson- this was a tough one for me, either henderson or t will. t will didnt work out already so i went with henderson who can be an athletic wing defender with an improving jumper.
12) roddy beaubois- as of now he would be the sixth man that can score for the bobcats, something they could have used. plus, he has potential to be a solid pg in the future and a solid defender.
13) darren collison- to the pacers, where he is now except as a lotto pick and not traded. a very good point guard now and has a chance to be a solid starter for years to come.
14) dejuan blair- he would have helped this team in the playoffs last year. if you watch san antonio this year they run a little more and blair is definately capable. while he wont be a star, he could have possibly put this team in the finals last year and would be better than warrick this year.

just missed out- ty lawson, terrence williams, omri casspi, jonas jerebko, taj gibson, and probably 1 or 2 others that i am forgetting.

SwatLakeCity
@mess.eee, Problems that I

@mess.eee, Problems that I see:

I don't think the T-wolves would have selected two point guards in a row once again. Rubio I think would have stayed where he was at. The Twolves always wanted Rubio and they made it be known so if he available they would have picked him. Yes the Grizzlies need a PG, but there was a better one out there in 2009. And no his name is not Jennings, his name is Tyreke Evans. Because of his great passing ability he can play both PG and SG. The Kings just use him at SG because he plays better there. Like trinajoe said drafting Evans would have given the Grizzlies a chance to trade both Conley and Mayo and possibly get a better 1 or 2. He has great potential, good height, just imagine him teaming up with Gay. This is the guy the Grizzlies wanted next to Gay. They thought Mayo would do that but they weren't exactly sure. In 2008 there wasn;t available so they went with the best one they could find. Now there is one available that is perfect why not snatch him and then deal both Conley and Mayo when the time is right. Which is probably right now.

Like I said the Twolves would not select two point guards in a row so with the 5th pick they would have gone with Curry, and then the 6th pick would have been Derozan. If the Wolves want to run any offense then they are going to need a star. Love was not a star at this point. He was only in his sophomore season. He had a great rookie season but did not put up star like numbers. They didn't have Beasley at this point either so going into the 2009 draft they had no stars. So they should have drafted a player that has the potential of becoming one. Just imagine a trio of Derozan, Love, and Beasley. That would be a nightmare for opponents to face and then with Curry playing the point would be just scary.

The Warriors would have picked Holiday, good pick there. The Knicks missed out on all the PGs they wanted. Lawson would be a good pick but there is another one out that would have been better. They would have gone with Rubio. He probably still wouldn't be able to come over but the Knicks weren't exactly screaming for a pg, just Stephen Curry, and then when he didn't fall to them they still didn't draft one. So obviously they need one but they can live without one if he doesn't come over right away. The Raptors, missing out on Derozan, would have picked Terrence Williams. Not a star, but the triple double potential is just too much to pass up on like you said.

The Bucks, missing out Jennings, Holiday, Curry, would probably go with Ty Lawson not Darren Collison. Yes, Collison is sound player but just that. Not great. The Bucks wanted a great PG. Lawson is not a great PG either but he has the potential to become one with super speed, and a good passing game. Certainly no Jennings but that's the best the Bucks could do. Nets would go with Jerebko. At this point they already had a PF, Yi Jianlian, not a great PF but he will do. Jerebko is a 3 who can play the 4 as well. So you can't "lose" with him. Bobcats would probably still go with Henderson. They need a 2 to backup Jackson and possibly start once he retires. Since Derozan, Williams and Harden are all gone, Henderson is the best one left.

The Pacers would probably go with Darren Collison. (wait a second, don't they already have him, how ironic) This would leave the Rockets to go for Jordan Hill, which you completely forgot about. (How does that happen?) Hill can play both the 4 and the 5 and has good potential. The Rockets are in need of a 5 since Ming is out and is probably not coming back. If there's a lockout he'll probably just head to China and stay there. Again, ironic that now Houston has Hill too.

RSS: Syndicate content