HOF's on 2012 US Olympic Team

Velvet Hoop
Velvet Hoop's picture
HOF's on 2012 US Olympic Team

I was watching a rerun of the Dream Team documentary on NBATV and Jordan says something about there never being another team with 8 hall of famers. So I started wondering how many the last US team will end up getting.

Definites:

CP3
Kobe
Lebron
KD
Melo

Borderline:

Russ
D Will
K Love

Too Early to Tell:

Harden
Unibrow

Probably not:

Iggy
Chandler

I think Russ, D Will and K Love need a few more good seasons but should get in. Obviously it will depend on how Russ and K Love bounce back from injuries and D Will hasn't really been the same for the last few years.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, but they definitely have a shot of getting 8 in the Hall.

rope
rope's picture
HOF

The Hall of Fame is a tricky thing, mainly because it is not an NBA Hall of Fame. CP3 and Melo are the kinds of guys that have trouble getting in or long waits. I can't imagine that anyone on your borderline or below lists will make it.

ItsRainingNegs
No

I don't think anyone has a clue what you are talking about. CP3 is a first ballot lock, there is no debate about that. And you say that it not being an NBA hall of fame hurts Melo's entrance though he won a championship his only season at Syracuse. But I guess I will agree Melo might not be first ballot.

rope
rope's picture
The Hall of Fame is a weird

The Hall of Fame is a weird thing in basketball. I'm not suggesting that these guys aren't great, I am just saying that NBA players have a lot harder time making it than you think. For instance, anyone who watched him would have thought Dominique Wilkins would have been a first ballot, mortal lock. He even went overseas and dominated after the NBA. But he had to wait forever, while college women's coaches, Europeans that played in front of bandbox crowds, etc. got in.

Melo is an interesting case, because he had the college success they like, though the one and done thing is a twist. His high volume scoring without a lot of significant playoff success is going to look pretty Alex English like to the HOF voters and they made him wait. Similarly, Paul has been stunning to watch, but the HOF has not really been swayed that often by highlight real success, as opposed to sustained winning in your league and at an international / high amateur level.

There has been call for a long time for the NBA to establish its own Hall of Fame and that would make perfect sense. Then a lot of the the guys you list and some other very noteworthy players of the past would get a look. But I don't think there is a long list of guys that get in with no questions asked. That's just not how the process has worked in the past and I have been watching this for a long, long time.

rope
rope's picture
I Am Just Wrong on English

I just looked again and he is one of the First Ballot HOFers. My bad.

rope
rope's picture
The Hall of Fame is a weird

The Hall of Fame is a weird thing in basketball. I'm not suggesting that these guys aren't great, I am just saying that NBA players have a lot harder time making it than you think. For instance, anyone who watched him would have thought Dominique Wilkins would have been a first ballot, mortal lock. He even went overseas and dominated after the NBA. But he had to wait forever, while college women's coaches, Europeans that played in front of bandbox crowds, etc. got in.

Melo is an interesting case, because he had the college success they like, though the one and done thing is a twist. His high volume scoring without a lot of significant playoff success is going to look pretty Alex English like to the HOF voters and they made him wait. Similarly, Paul has been stunning to watch, but the HOF has not really been swayed that often by highlight real success, as opposed to sustained winning in your league and at an international / high amateur level.

There has been call for a long time for the NBA to establish its own Hall of Fame and that would make perfect sense. Then a lot of the the guys you list and some other very noteworthy players of the past would get a look. But I don't think there is a long list of guys that get in with no questions asked. That's just not how the process has worked in the past and I have been watching this for a long, long time.

BenchWarmer
Chandler and Iggy are

Chandler and Iggy are DEFINITELY NOT Hall of famers. Id say when all is said and done Westbrook will have a better shot at the hall of fame than Melo

llperez
llperez's picture
92 team actually had 11 hall

92 team actually had 11 hall of gamers. Leattner was the only one who didn't make it. If they had added a more deserving player like isiah Thomas, Dominique Wilkins or James worthy, it would have been a complete roster of hall bound players.

ItsVictorOladipo
ItsVictorOladipo's picture
Yep. And that team should

Yep. And that team should have had Shaq. To this day I'm still shocked that they chose Laettner over O'Neil as their college representative. It should have been a no-brainer.

And yeah it's crazy that 2 guys possibly in the top 20 players all time didn't make the team, Isiah cause he was phased out and Hakeem because he hadn't quite become a US citizen yet.

kacey
Or if Shaq would have grabbed

Agreed. If Shaq would have grabbed the last spot instead of Laettner. I never realized Shaq had a chance at that spot until I saw the documentary.

ElMaestro10
ElMaestro10's picture
Russ and K love

K Love won't make it in if he stays in MIN while russ will def make it if he stays with durant

ItsRainingNegs
With or without Durant

Westbrook has the potential for it. If only he had his own team like Harden...

syvjohansen
Timeframe

@Velvet Hoop–I agree with where you put each player with their current track. Here is the checklist I would set for each player to make it.

Kobe Bryant– If he retired right now he's in
Lebron James– Same as Kobe
Kevin Durant– Guaranteed with a ring or at least 5 more seasons of 25+ ppg
Carmelo Anthony–Guaranteed with a ring or at least 3 more seasons of 23+ ppg.
Chris Paul– Guaranteed with a ring or 5 more seasons of 15 ppg and 8 ast.
Russell Westbrook–Needs a championship and and 8 more seasons of 19 ppg and 6 ast.
Deron Williams–Same as Chris Paul.
Kevin Love–Championship or averaging a double-double for 10 more years.
James Harden–Championship or continue being an elite scorer of 24 ppg or more.
Andre Iguodala– I'd say two championships and a much larger offensive presence.
Tyson Chandler– This guy was the x-factor for the Mavs when they one it. Needs another playoff performance like that and he's a 50/50

Lipstick
Lipstick's picture
Every player on the 1996

Every player on the 1996 Dream Team II just might make the Hall of Fame outside of Penny Hardaway. Mitch Richmond may or may not make it depending on what people's takes are on prolific scorers for struggling teams.

Just thought I'd point that out for some reason. That team was stacked, but didn't play as well together as Dream Team I unfortunately.

ASAP Henry
ASAP Henry's picture
IMO Melo is not a lock, nor

IMO Melo is not a lock, nor is CP3.. Neither one of them have done much of anything in the post-season. I guess it just depends on what your definition of the hall of fame is. I may have higher requirements, but imo team accomplishment should rank pretty highly

benny15
chris mullin and reggie

chris mullin and reggie miller were both inducted into the hall of fame already and neither have any rings to show for it. nor does patrick ewing, dominique wilkens, charles barkley, or my main iceman, george gervin.

ASAP Henry
ASAP Henry's picture
valid

valid point, but at least all of those guys consistently advanced past the 1st round in the playoffs. Melo has been out of it twice, CP3 has been out of it twice. Everyone else u mentioned got out of the first round a lot, just never won a championship

RSS: Syndicate content