greg monroe http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/11/report-greg-monroe-to-the-knicks-about-as-close-to-a-done-deal-as-

joe2324
greg monroe http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/11/report-greg-monroe-to-the-knicks-about-as-close-to-a-done-deal-as-

I hope this not true because I can't see giving Monroe max money. Averaging a double double on a bad team is not something I would go reaching for. If the knicks can't get aldridge or gasol, I would just be patient and draft Towns or Okafor. Do the best you can next year and secure another high draft pick.

SwatLakeCity
double-double bad team??

What is it with players not deserving the max, when they are averaging a double-double on a bad team. Hello, Gordon Hayward recent example. He did very well last year, got the max from Charlotte, Utah matched, and now he's even better this year. The Jazz would have made the playoffs this year if the season started when the Allstar break was over. Which means next year they will for sure make the playoffs. What about Demar Derozan. He did very well on the Raptors before he got max and they were a bad team. But once he got the max and they got Lowry and Valaciunas, they made the playoffs. If I remember right that was the year after Derozan got the max.

And Monroe is actually not a bad player. The only reason why he is given a bad rap isn't even his fault. Its because of Josh Smith taking over his spot. That contract ruined Monroe's confidence, He really needs a change of scenery.

Numbers_Cruncher
Numbers_Cruncher's picture
Derozan

Just want to point out that Derozan didn't sign for a max contract. He signed a team friendly 4 yr 40 million deal.

SwatLakeCity
ok but point still made

Didn't know that, numbers cruncher, butmy point was still made. In order for a good young player to be recognized, they most likely have to earn good numbers on a bad team. It's not Monroe's fault that the Pistons are bad. He really needs a change of scenery.

Dazzling Dunks ...
I actually don't think Monroe

I actually don't think Monroe is a bad fit at all for the Knicks. He's the type of player that would fit well in the triangle offense and would compliment towns pretty well if the Knicks do end up drafting him. Not sure if him and okafor would be a good fit though for defensive reasons.

Of course gasol or aldridge would be preferable but i just dont see it happening unless phil jackson is able to work some magic. And, if i'm not mistaken the Knicks already traded away their first rounder next year so that is already off the table.

mgreener_34
mgreener_34's picture
Eh Honestly with the

Eh Honestly with the exception of Marc Gasol and a few others, what other young promising big man is going to fit into the triangle? How many of those guys are going to be available? Monroe is a good rebounder and passer, and the Knicks need both of these. Throw him the max now before the cap rises, and then you have two pieces to build around and a top 5 pick this year. Sounds good to me if you're the Knicks, because how many 16 win teams lure 16/10 big men?

I also think this move works in two reguards. You know you're getting a top pick,but sometimes it doesn't work out that way and you end up with pick 3 and Towns and Okafor went 1/2. Obviously you take Russle who can shoot, at least in my opinion, and Monroe gives you a big man to fall back on, or a big man to compliment either of those two.

Knicks won less games than the 76'ers this year, and that should be telling just how talent depleated this roster really is. Adding anyone on the level of Monroe is a step in the right direction. I understand the defensive concerns, but defense is a team effort, and anyone can look good if everyone buys in.

Having a core of Monroe/Melo means you can go in a lot of different ways, as both players can effectively play the 3/4 and 4/5. The lineups you could throw out there because of those two could be dangerous on offense, and we're seeing more and more how versatility is important in the NBA.

Hitster
Hitster's picture
Greg would be a good fit in

Greg would be a good fit in the triangle offence but signing him would mean Melo would have to remain at SF unless Greg played as C. If the Knicks could draft KAT then they would have a nice potential defensive presence behind Melo and possibly Monroe.

Greg may not be putting up All Star level scoring stats but he is a skillful 24 year old big man averaging 16/10 so he will get a very good payday somewhere this summer.

wonzi_bells
Well...

I mean, if they've already locked in on signing Monroe before they know where they're picking in the lottery, I don't think that's the best decision making. Not that Monroe is a bad player or undeserving of a "market max" contract, which won't look so bad once the new television contract kicks in for the 2016-17 NBA season but I think you can't move forward as a franchise without knowing where you're picking.

Let's say they get the No. 1 pick and select Karl-Anthony Towns, I don't think allocating lots of cap money to Monroe is the best fit for their franchise to have a frontcourt of Towns, Monroe and Anthony. I feel like Carmelo Anthony is at the same point as LeBron James is at, where they're best used a combo forward switching in and out of playing the power forward spot. It's the same reason why LeBron James and Kevin Love aren't the best fit with each other. I feel the same thing would happen with Monroe, especially if you're paying him the max. At this point, teams featuring Carmelo Anthony should always designate an "open" spot at the four, where he can switch in and out of. And when I mean "open" spot, they should have a solid rotation piece on a cheaper contract that you don't feel you have to tie large minutes to. Like if they get Towns, I feel like getting Amir Johnson from Toronto would be a good fit, though he has a history of ankle injuries that might worry me. And if they don't get Towns and try to sign Monroe, they better hope there's a really good defensive big man out there.

It just looks like another showing that the Knicks can't display any kind of patience.

King Calucha
King Calucha's picture
Well, actually the triangle

Well, actually the triangle has different positions offensively. You have one in the low post on the strong side, one in the corner and one in the backcourt. In the weakside you have one in the backcourt and one in the high post. Melo's spot is in the high post. Monroe's would be in the strongside low post.

Now, it is a bad fit defensively, because you need someone in the corner who can spread the floor and be a solid defender inside... someone like Porzingis or KAT (if he develops a solid 3pt shot) perhaps?? That way you would assign Melo to defend the SF spot.

wonzi_bells
Yeah but there's problems in

Yeah but there's problems in that. If you have a front court of Carmelo Anthony, Greg Monroe and Karl-Anthony Towns, you'll have to relegate one of them to that corner spot on the strong side or wing spot on the weak side. It's not going to Monroe because he can't shoot three, so it'll have to be Towns and either way, that's not maximizing any of their skills. Towns is an inside-out player, not a ouside-in. You either want him on that block where he can post-up or in that pinch post area whenever Carmelo is on the bench or simply just want to give him looks there because Carmelo can alternate playing in the low post if he has a smaller defender or the wings since he shoots threes. So someone is going to get left out. It's just not a good use of money if you have to tie up minutes to all three.

Now if they can't get Towns or Okafor for that matter, then offensively things become much more clearer of Monroe but they'll need to find an elite rim protector since Monroe and Anthony are bad defenders but also doesn't need touches and can shoot threes or long two's and that player is very hard to find. Maybe Ibaka is the only one.

Magic Jordan
Because NBCsports.com has and

Because NBCsports.com has and always will be considered the most credible site...........

OhCanada-
OhCanada-'s picture
Monroe and Falk (his agent)

Monroe and Falk (his agent) have dismissed the claims. Monroe seems upset with the matter.

The rumour is a play off of the connection Falk has with Phil Jackson from when Falk was representing Jordan and Phil was coaching him. It is thought that Monroe's camp wants the max and Jacksons camp is willing to oblige with the cap space they will be acquiring. All just speculation none of which is tangible.

King Calucha
King Calucha's picture
PS: They can't say they have

PS: They can't say they have reached an agreement. It's ilegal at this time of the year, they will deny everything.

benny15
yes it would be against the

yes it would be against the rules if they spoke to each other this season regarding a deal in place but it could be completely in play if the conversation happened last off-season when monroe was a restricted free agent. at that time, the knicks could have expressed their interest but say that they dont have the cap space to offer him the kind of money he wants to take and that they are willing to give.

but if he happens to sign for the 1 year qualifying and becomes an unrestricted free agent, the knicks would then have the needed cap space to bring him in at the money he wants, in the biggest basketball market in the league, in a system that would feature his strengths and maximize on his abilities.

monroe is a center in the NBA, he has the bulk and size for it and its where he excells at the most honestly. and getting him for the knicks would be a huge win since it'll give them a legit second option to melo as far as scoring goes, but could have just as many touches. yes he may not improve their defense which is atrocius at the moment, but defense isnt really what phill jackson and the triangle is about. you got to shore up your identity as a team first then work on improving the other parts after. if anything to give that team and its players direction and know who they are as a team.

RSS: Syndicate content