First to 20/10

JoeWolf1
JoeWolf1's picture
First to 20/10

I've always said I thought John Wall would be the next point guard to enter the 20/10 club, and he almost hit it this season at 19.4 ppg and 8.8 apg; however, since Monte Ellis has left and Steph Curry has settled into being an NBA point guard, he had a major spike in his production this season averaging 24 ppg and 8.5 apg.

Which player do you think will be the first to hit 20/10 for an entire season? Or do you think someone else will beat them to it?

R-Dot-13
R-Dot-13's picture
Wall. Curry will have about

Wall. Curry will have about 25ppg and around 7-8 assists. I think Wall will score less points, around 20, and get to 10 apg.

Ty Benjamins
Ty Benjamins's picture
wall

may be next year

Lebron's Hairline
Lebron's Hairline's picture
Wall easy. He can get 4-5

Wall easy. He can get 4-5 assists easy just off of his elite ability to penetrate defenses

JoeWolf1
JoeWolf1's picture
I'm watching the Bulls v Wiz

I'm watching the Bulls v Wiz games now, and I think he's got more potential than D-Rose (I'm a Bulls fan too). He had a bit of a soph slump, and had to suffer through some losing years, unlike Rose, but Wall is really hitting his stride this year and you can tell being on a winner is energizing him. He's gonna be a special player.

Ghost01
Ghost01's picture
Here is my thought... If you

Here is my thought...

If you are factoring the huge elephant in the room of this conversation that's Rose's injuries, then yes I think Wall has more long term potential.

But remember, at this point of Rose's career he had already won an MVP. I just don't think Wall has the consistent offensive dominance that Rose had when he was healthy. Rose was clearly a better player than Wall and if I thought Rose was going to be healthy I would definitely take him, but that is something I am in no position to bet on.

JoeWolf1
JoeWolf1's picture
Well, you're right about

Well, you're right about Rose's offensive dominance. Without a blown ACL, I think he'd be a year in year out 25 ppg scorer and take over player. What I meant by potential, was just that.

While I don't see Wall being a dominant scorer who will rattle off 5 of 10 games with 30 point a night, but I think he has more potential ( and has probably surpassed Rose ) as a playmaker and defender. So I see Wall with the "potential" to be a better all around player.

Wall's 3 point percentage this season was actually higher than Rose's expanded range in his MVP season (35% to 33%), in which he was praised for. Wall hit 12 three pointers last year, and 108 this season at only 23 years old. Continued improvement would lead me to believe he would be 37 or 38 by his prime. Another part of his game that was lagging, that he took to another level this year.

Rose's prominance was quicker than Wall's, but I think Wall's potential as an All-Around player is higher than D-Rose's, but that's not to diminish D-Rose's potential before his injury or a result of forgetting how good he was. They're different players, and if Rose had all his ligaments, I'm sure he'd still be excelling, but I think Wall is more of an all around player. Same way Lebron is a more of an all around player than Durant, but both are greats of today's game.

l

ditotay
ditotay's picture
I agree

with you Joe. But it all depends on the movements the Wizards are going to do. This group is very balanced, with youngsters with good potential and veterans who know their rols. Wall used to play in bunches due to different injuries and his teammates weren't that good. Now with Beal and Ariza opening the lanes for him, I think that statline is very plausible. Greeting from Uruguay

uabasketball
Westbrook

I'm not saying I 100% think Westbrook will be the next one to do it, but he absolutely SHOULD be the one to do it. His best statisical year came back in '10-'11 season when he averaged 22pts/8asts while averaging 17 shots per game. Since then his averaged shots take have fluctuated from 17-19 all the while shooting no higher than 45%. My point is, this guy should be averaging 20/10 with his eyes closed at this point. He is in constant control of the ball (for better and for worse) and is, arguably, the best point guard in the league at driving past his defender at will. This automatically forces a help defender to come off a teammate, leaving a seemingly easy assist. Yes, I do realize that whoever he's passing to has to follow through in making the shot, but he's got KD on his team for christ's sake! Just give him a few extra looks, coupled with a few more dump offs to Serge Ibaka and you got your 10asts. Obviously for Westbrook to get 20pts while giving up these scoring opportunities he will have to become more efficient. Maybe if OKC ran an actual offense that's structured (go figure) it would assist him in going in the right direction.

Grandmama
Grandmama's picture
Westbrook will never average

Westbrook will never average 10 apg.

uabasketball
Wow thank you

Wow thank you for your esteemed insight.

Sewok15
Sewok15's picture
I wouldn't count Ty Lawson

I wouldn't count Ty Lawson out...he averaged almost 18 and 9 this year and he was hurt off and on and his team wasn't that great. If they make some improvements and he is healthy next year at age 27 he should be coming into his prime and a 20 and 10 season is possible.

I would say Wall is the most likely to do it because he will have high assist numbers especially if Washington plays at the pace he likes. They have been impressive in the playoffs and the backcourt of Wall and Beal will be one of the leagues best for years to come.

Guys like Kyrie Irving, Damian Lillard and Isaiah Thomas already averaged 20 PPG this year but only around 6 assists. I don't see any of them changing their games enough to ever reach 10 APG.

TimeForNine
Crazy how rare this happens.

Crazy how rare this happens. The only two active guys who have done it are Chris Paul and Deron Williams. Steve Nash surprisingly never did it in Phoenix.

I think of the guys mentioned above, Wall, Curry, and Lawson are the only real threats.

Kind of a crazy stat to throw out there: Michael Adams played for the Nuggets when they were terrible and just tried to score as much as possible in the late 80s/early 90s put up 26.9 and 10.6 in 90-91. He never averaged more than 18.4 or 7.7 for the rest of his career. Pace is arguably the biggest factor (stats from basketball-reference).

drice4life1753
drice4life1753's picture
Close but no cigar

Although he was dangerously close during his stint as PG #1B in the NBA through 2007-2011, Deron Williams never was able to get 20 points and 10 assists in a season. Only 7 players have ever done it, Chris Paul is the most recent and last time he did was back in New Orleans during the 2008-2009 season. Before CP3 the last player was Tim Hardaway...just goes to show although a handful of players get extremely close, the "20/10" club in the NBA is actually very exclusive and happens a lot less often than most (myself included) would think.

TimeForNine
According to

According to basketball-reference he did it the year he was traded from Utah. He didn't average it with either team, but with stats from both teams combined it says he averaged 20.1 and 10.3.

chrisinoz
Random Stats

Anyone know a good site to find out stats? I was actually looking for the most 20/10/5 games in recent seasons.

Grandmama
Grandmama's picture
I'd say Wall. Much more

I'd say Wall. Much more likely to average 10 assists.

Mr. HookShot
Mr. HookShot's picture
MCW? Maybe not before Wall

MCW? Maybe not before Wall and Curry but he definetly has the potential to average 20/10 over a season (considering he average 16.7/6.3 this year). He has the court vision to average 10 ast (but not yet the teammates), and he regarding his offense he lacks a polished jumpshot (which will improve, so will his %s and thus his scoring).

Other options (not mentioned previously) include:
- Holiday (averaged 18 and 8 his last year in Philly, having a down year this year but he has the tools)
- Rondo (easily averages the 10 ast, considering the big three left he might score more, especially when he gets his legs back under him)
- J. Teague (average 16.5 and 6.7 this year, needs to take a big step but he will have better players around him (e.g. Horford) next year, so his assists should go up)

In my opinion it is more difficult to average the 10 assist than it is to score 20ppg (as evidenced by the stats). Wall has a good court vision (8.8 assists) and his scoring (19.3) will only go up as result of an improved jumpshot.

ProudGrandpa
ProudGrandpa's picture
If the Sixers have another

If the Sixers have another don't-give-a-crap season, Carter-Williams could go for 20-10. He got, like, 16 and 6.5 this season and he's surely gonna improve as he would only be a junior in college next year.

Sewok15
Sewok15's picture
MCW will be 23 in October. He

MCW will be 23 in October. He came out as after his sophomore year and he was already 20 as a Frosh. I don't know if he will improve enough to put up 20 and 10 at any point in his career. Maybe he could do one or the other but I don't know if he is efficient enough to do both.

RSS: Syndicate content