Evangelos Mantzaris: Starting Point Guard Of One Of The Biggest Euroleague Clubs: Not On The 2012 Mock Draft

aamir543
aamir543's picture
All of the Spanish players

All of the Spanish players you mentioned are good players, I know Navaro is a good player too, and he is a better scorer than all teh guys you mentioned, but still, those guys are good too.

And Ibaka has great potential, if he expands his offensive game, and continues to improve on D, he looks like he is on his way to be a solid NBA starter along the lines of 13 and 9 with 3 blocks a game.

r377
r377's picture
Hey European Baller - what do

Hey European Baller -

what do you think of Dario Saric ?

Krypt14
Euro baller, some players

Euro baller, some players just do not have the skillset to play effectively in different leagues. Igor Rakocevic has been dominant in Europe the past decade and never stuck in the NBA. Rubio was dominant at European underage competition, but seemed to regress during his time in Barcelona yet now he is thriving in a different league. NBA scouts know better than anyone else who has the ability to succeed in the NBA and if they see a guy who can play they will inform their GM.

Also, did you ever consider that if all these guys are as good as you are saying it might be in their interest to not get drafted and end up signing a 1 year deal which would allow them to get a big pay day sooner like Wes Matthews?

European Baller
NBA scouts don't know a damn

NBA scouts don't know a damn thing.

You mention Rubio......he shoots 37% from teh field and 32% from 3 point line, he is turnover prone, and he is very mediocre at running an offense and pick and roll in the half court. If he ever got to deep in NBA playoffs, like conference finals and up, where teams are actually playing defense, he will be exposed, just like he was in the Euroleague.

Because he cannot shoot, cannot create his own shot, is average play maker in half court, cannot finish, etc.

Rakocevic has never been "dominant" in Europe. What is this nonsense? Igor is a great shooter anbd scorer coming off screens and picks. That is it. He was like Euroleague version of Rip Hamilton, except he never oplayed defense.

If defense lacking Rip Hamilton, is considered "dominant" by you, then you sure have no clue about basketball. With this being said, Rakocevic is like 10 times better player than Eddie House, who stays in NBA for years. So once again, it shows NBA bias and manipulations.

Like, very good offensive player at his prime (bad defender) is "dominant" in Euroleague (untrue), but "sucked in NBA" and "cannot play there because his game did not translate" (wrong).

Rakocevic had 43 INCH VERTICAL when he came to the NBA. He is one of the greatest dunkers in the history of European basketball. Yet you are making this nonsense implication that he is noth athletic enough for the NBA, so his game "cannot translate".

More complete BS. And a bunch of made up nonsense, trying to make the Euroelague and its players seem worse than they really are, and trying to make the NBA ann its players seem better than they really are.

Krypt14
I'm sorry, I would have

I'm sorry, I would have considered 2 all Euroleague teams, 3 Turkish league top scorers, Adriatic league MVP and top scorer and titles in numerous leagues in Europe as being fairly dominant. He played with a number of the top teams in Europe over a 10 year period.

Rubio is by no means perfect, he is turnover prone and not a great scorer...but to suggest he is 'average' in the half court and 'mediocre' at running the pick and roll is crazy.

If you read my post properly and didn't jump to conclusions you would have seen that I never said Rakocevic 'sucked', I said he never stuck. Also I would appreciate if you could point out to me where I implied where he was not athletic enough to play in the NBA?

Finally, Rakocevic is a Point Guard, and primary ball handler and plays nothing like Hamilton.

European Baller
Another NBA fan that knows

Another NBA fan that knows nothing about European basketball and PRETENDS to be an expert on it. Rakocevic is a shooting guard. He has never in his life been a point guard.

He plays EXACTLY like Rip Hamilton.

He has never in his life been anything close to "dominant" in Euroleague. I had to laugh for a good 5 minutes just considering you actually make such a claim as this.If anything, he is one of the most hated players by the fans of every team he played on.

Do not talk about subjects that you clearly know nothing about.

This is the reason why NBA fans are such rude and arrogant jerks. They go and make insane and ridiculous claims like Rakocevic was "dominant" in Euroleague. And then make completely false and untrue statements like "he is a point guard".

Then, act like the other person calling out their lies is some kind of troll that does not know a thing about basketball. Seriously, NBA fans are so awful.

Knicksboy42
Rubio is one of the best

Rubio is one of the best defensive points in the league though TOL.

aamir543
aamir543's picture
Euroballer, chil a bit. I

Euroballer, chil a bit. I don't mind you posting because you know your stuff, but first of all, 90% of the posters here do not make claims that upset you, such as that Spanoulis and Navaro cannot play in the NBA. It may be some of the other ten percent that make claims that upset you.

The fact of the matter is that we can only judge things off of what we've seen, and I honestly don't know much about Spanoulis, so I won't take into consideration that he was out of hte leageu by choice.

And it is bad luck that Spanoulis didn't get a job. Think about it, Rashard Mcants can't even get a job. There are a lot of good American players rotting on NBA benches as it is. Anthony Randolph is very promising, but even he hasn't gotten his shot yet. If Spanoulis was really good, and had stuck around for just one more season, than he may have gotten his big break, but I don't believe that the general public of hardcore fans are as ignorant as you propose they are. Now the casual fan and American might be stupid and dignorant enough to think that Rudy is better than Navaro, but not hard core fans like us.

aamir543
aamir543's picture
And Rubio is top 20 in the

And Rubio is top 20 in the league in defensive win shares. He might not have been a great Euro League defender, but in the NBA he is able to put great on ball pressure because of the point I was making earlier in this thread about defensive schemes. Rubio goes for the steal and reads the paly well, and he might get beat rather easily, but he doesn't have to worry about because Love and Pekovic are behind him for the Help D.

Nihochu
Nihochu's picture

yo Nba Draft need to freeze this &$#%#&@! acount

Nihochu
Nihochu's picture

Nba draft neeeeeeeed to freeze europeanballer's account

European Baller
And Rubio is top 20 in the

And Rubio is top 20 in the league in defensive win shares. He might not have been a great Euro League defender, but in the NBA he is able to put great on ball pressure because of the point I was making earlier in this thread about defensive schemes. Rubio goes for the steal and reads the paly well, and he might get beat rather easily, but he doesn't have to worry about because Love and Pekovic are behind him for the Help D.

I am not saying Rubio isn't a good defender. He is a very good defender. Of course he struggles sometimes on defense, because his lateral speed is not the best. But that is the NBA rules. No nhelp in the lane and no hand checking, and lots of one to one guard play.

Every single point guard in the NBA struggles on defense really, just look at the stats. The NBA rules are a sham and make all these mediocre guards into offensive stars.

Rubio is a very agressive defender, smart on defense, good at getting steals, and can pressure the ball. In the Euroleague, the best part of his game was his defense. Of course there the refs allow hand checking, and he hand checked like no other player. In the NBA, those are fouls, so he can't get away with it like that.

I'm not saying Rubio is a bad defender. My point was, Rubio is being praised in the NBA circles for his defense. Well, to be honest, while he is a good defender, and yes, I am saying he IS a good defender - I was just explaining that Mantzaris is a much better defender.

Rubio in Euroelague for example, was a very good defender, but he was not locking anyone down. For example, as I said, Diamantidis DESTROYED him last year. Check out the Euroleague playoffs between Barca and Panathinaikos if you dont believe it.

I was just saying, in comparison to Mantzaris. Mantzaris is not just a very good defender, he is locking people down. I mean, totally shutting down Diamantidis, held Deron Williams to 2 points in 20 minutes of guarsing him when they played in a tournament earlier in the year. The guy is locking people down almost always. I can only remember one game this year where he played bad on defense. There was a game, I forget against what team now, they had a small quick point guard and he was getting beat off the dribble.

But other than that, he was pretty much completely shutting down everybody on defense all year long. So my point was just that, if Rubio is getting cred for his defense in the NBA, then it's odd that Mantzaris cannot even get on a mock draft. Considering, really, this guy might already be a top 5 defender in Euroleague at age 21.

Rubio is a good defender. I wasn't trying to say he isn't.

Krypt14
Aamir +1 for your diplomatic

Aamir +1 for your diplomatic opinion here. Also European Baller +1 as well, I wish you would contribute your insight like your last post more regularly. That last post shows your knowledge a lot better than insulting people or claiming some NBA bias against Euros. I'm European by the way.

aamir543
aamir543's picture
Thanks Dave

"Every single point guard in the NBA struggles on defense really, just look at the stats. The NBA rules are a sham and make all these mediocre guards into offensive stars."

Other than Rondo, yes, most guards struggle mightily on defense. But the reason is because their offensive counterparts are so much better. Plus I think fatigue in an NBA season most heavily affects perimeter defenders' ability to stay with their man.

Guards in the NBA are extremely skilled dribblers, and could get by defenders with ease most of the time. When I say that, I don't mean breaking someone's ankles and making them look silly, but just using their quickness to get by them. The reason guards can't put their head down and charge down the lane is because the help D is there and bad things happen when you try to go through 6'10 giants.

Back to my point, some guys don't even try on D, and some guys just aren't good at it. Our culture places moe emphasis on offensive skills which is why unfortunatly Defense is overlooked, which is a shame. I wish we had more guys like Bruce Bowen, look your best guy down and hit the corner three.

Mantzaris is a really great defender, but if he doesn't have the offensive game to play in the NBA, or the height to guard multiple positions. He is 6-5, so he can guard the one adn the two, but guys like Bruce Bowen and Shane Battier were able to guard any perimeter player even upto Durant and T-Mac's height at 6-9, 6-10. Scouts are looking for a complete game, and Mantzris also has be able to take a beating as a defender too.

RSS: Syndicate content