ESPN TV Documentary On The Greek Basketball League
ESPN's TV documentary on Greek League Basketball was shot in Athens. It will air on ESPN TV in the USA soon. Some points from the documentary about the Greek League:
1. The Greek League is home to Athens, which is one of the world's basketball capitals, and one of the four biggest basketball cities in Europe.
2. Greek League is home to the biggest rivalry in European basketball.
3. Greek League is a rapidly growing league and is making major developments and growth. It is projected to be the biggest league in Greece soon (surpassing the football league).
4. Greek League is currently considered the most competitive national league in Europe. With the smallest margin of difference in the level of the clubs in the league from the 3-14 positions.
5. Greek League just signed a major new television deal.
6. Greek League teams have a 20% increase in attendance over last year, and the attendance is getting higher with almost every passing week of the season. The league is on pace to set an attendance record.
6. Greek League is setting an all time record for TV ratings and revenues this year. The TV ratings are the highest in the history of the league.
7. Greek League will announce a major new sponsorship deal and a major new TV deal to broadcast games internationally soon.
8. The Greek League All Star Game will return this year and will be bigger than before, as the league and federation now have plenty of money due to much higher league revenues and attendance.
9. The values of the two big Greek clubs and a couple of others are now higher than they have ever been before.
10. Greek League is currently the fastest growing national league in Europe in terms of attendance, TV ratings, TV revenues, and overall revenues.
11. Several Greek clubs are building new arenas, or will be moving into bigger arenas that already exist, in the near future.
The statements made by all the trolls in this forum about the Greek League are NOT true.
So the only thing missing are great players?
Greece is broke, unemployment is close to 30%, civil war is looming, but hey, they are building new arenas. Euroballer is happy.
Yay I finally get to see how bad Greek players are.
I was debating who's better between American highschool basketball players or professional Greek players , but that's obviously unfair. So now it's a coin toss between Professional Greek players or American middle schoolers
I actually really love Greece and the city of Athens, though I have only been through there a few times.
No question basketball is huge there. When I was in Athens for a week or so in high school almost twenty years ago it was very easy to get into a pick up game with very welcoming local players.
Make all the snide remarks you want, but to me one of the great things about the game right now is how much it is glowing all over the word at every level.
Don't know anything about this Greek league, but good for them.
Long live Panathinaikos!
"Greek League is currently considered the most competitive national league in Europe. With the smallest margin of difference in the level of the clubs in the league from the 3-14 positions."
... yes ... the other teams are so hard to beat that oly players are ALL shooting between 50 and 80% (except sloukas the next magic johnson)
How come so many teams routinely don't pay their players wages? Outside of the big teams in Athens and Thessaloniki a lot of teams struggle financially.
I do believe the greek league is one of the best in Europe despite its financial situation. However, it doesn't mean that a lot of their players could play in the NBA... and it's not a matter of skills, it's about style of play.
12. 77% of Greek players in the league are balding.
A Jew, an Italian, and a Greek are riding in a car. The car slides off the road, crashing into a tree, killing all three of them. The next thing they know, they are all standing in front of God in heaven. God says to the Italian, "All you ever cared about was stuffing your face with pizza and pasta. But I'm willing to give you another chance; the next time you walk into a pizzeria, I'm sending you straight to hell!"
Then he turns to the Greek and says, "All you ever cared about was your orgies and your wild sex parties. But I'm willing to give you another chance; The next time you perform anal sex, you?re going straight to hell!"
Then he says to the Jew, "All you were ever concerned with was saving money and digging around everywhere for loose change. But I'm willing to give you another chance; the next time you pick up a penny off the ground, I'm sending you straight to hell!"
So the next thing they know they are all standing on the sidewalk. They start walking down the street and they pass a pizzeria. The Italian looks in the window and says, "Oh that pizza smells so good, I just got to have one slice!" He runs through the door and POOF! He disappears. The Greek and Jew walk down the street and the Jew notices a penny on the sidewalk. He thinks to himself, "Oh, look at that penny! I just got to have it!" He bends over to pick it up and POOF! the Greek disappears.