This topic contains 40 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar RioRep 8 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    trelos6
    Participant

So the final list has been revealed.

MJ, KAJ, LBJ, Magic, Wilt

Bird, Russell, Duncan, Shaq, Hakeem

I have no issues withh that top 10, except I’d put Bird over 

Oscar, Kobe, West, Dr J, Moses, Karl Malone, Dirk, Barkley, Stockton, Robinson

KG, KD, Steph Curry, Baylor, Pippen, Isiah, Wade,  Havlicek, CP3, Nash

So here’s where it get’s interesting.  I thtink Steph is too high.  He realistically at this stage of fhis career, be somewehre around the late 30’s, not 23.  Also, I personally would have KG ahead of Robinson in 20th spot, and have Stockton ahead of Dirk.

McHale, Ewing, Mikan, Pettit, Kidd, Drexler, Barry, Frazier, Cousy, Hayes, Payton, Walton, Worthy, Wilkins, Pierce, Iverson, Gervin, Reed, Westbrook, Allen.

Westbrook!!! top 49 all time.  I’d have him currently in the 70’s IMO.  The rest seems legit.

Miller, McAdoo, Unseld, King, Cowens, Gasol, Parish, Parker, Melo, Monroe, Manu, English, Tmac, Rodman, Mourning, Webber, Howard, Lanier, Carter, Gilmore, Pistol, Dantley, Dikembe, Schayes, Blake Griffin.

Blake Griffin!!! at 75.  Hell no.  How is blake so far in his career better than a guy like … hmm actually, I don’t mind Blake at 75.

Archibald, Dumars, Jones, Lucas, Hill, Moncrief, Thompson, Mullin, DJ, DeBusschere, Bosh, Billups, Cunningham, Yao, Arizin,  Cheeks, Thurmond, Wilkins, Price, Marc Gasol, Jones, Harden, Goodrich, Love, Kemp.

So a few things bug me from 76-100.  Kevin Love!?!  are you kidding me, even at 99 he is too high.  More like 150 at this stage.

Harden, seems about right, and Marc also won DPOY so I think he’s sitting pretty.  I’d have Billups over Bosh though, Bosh probably more like 100th.  

Well, that’s my first reactions.  How about you all?

trelos6
    Participant

Bird over Wilt.  Some reason that was deleted. 

trelos6
    Participant

Bird over Wilt.  Some reason that was deleted. 

omphalos
    Participant

Lebron over Magic is a joke. Magic won more titles, had a much better winning rate in the Finals and always stepped up in big moments – barring the Tragic Johnson series.

You could seriously argue that Magic is right there at #2 and to be honest, he would be in my list. 

Lebron hype outta control, but when he ages badly people will bring him back down to Earth.

omphalos
    Participant

Lebron over Magic is a joke. Magic won more titles, had a much better winning rate in the Finals and always stepped up in big moments – barring the Tragic Johnson series.

You could seriously argue that Magic is right there at #2 and to be honest, he would be in my list. 

Lebron hype outta control, but when he ages badly people will bring him back down to Earth.

Stop_basketball_nonsense
    Participant

Steph at 23, seriously? The warriors been Poppin for a year & a1/2. let’s be honest draymind, klay, iggy, bogut & the crew have just as much to do with their winning as steph. Overall this ranking thing has been a home for the past almost decade. Most of you are prisoners of the moment so, many of yalls opinions line up with these rankings. The biggest thing is how are so many players in today’s game with no rings, ranked in the list. I mean many of us on this site have never seen a lot of these guys from the past play, but with that being said I seriously stand by the past legends being in.the majority at the top. These guys came most from their rookie year dominating, without advanced training & medicine vs today’s players who take years to develop mainly over the past half decade, who have to play on super teams to win.

Stop_basketball_nonsense
    Participant

Steph at 23, seriously? The warriors been Poppin for a year & a1/2. let’s be honest draymind, klay, iggy, bogut & the crew have just as much to do with their winning as steph. Overall this ranking thing has been a home for the past almost decade. Most of you are prisoners of the moment so, many of yalls opinions line up with these rankings. The biggest thing is how are so many players in today’s game with no rings, ranked in the list. I mean many of us on this site have never seen a lot of these guys from the past play, but with that being said I seriously stand by the past legends being in.the majority at the top. These guys came most from their rookie year dominating, without advanced training & medicine vs today’s players who take years to develop mainly over the past half decade, who have to play on super teams to win.

Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

Your never going to come to a consensus here. It’s hard to take current players and compare them to guys from 50-60 years ago as its a completely different game now. I would personally put bird in my top 5 over wilt, but your comparing apples and oranges there.

I would flip Kobe and shaq. In my opinion, Kobe had the better overall career even though shaq was more dominant at his peak.

As far as current players, they are kind of difficult to rank because their resume is incomplete. Steph at 23 looks very generous right now but it might look extremely low in 5 years if he keeps playing at the same level he is now.

The most overrated player on the list by far to me is bill walton. Yes, he had a few seasons where he was one of the best in the league but he peak was extremely short-lived and he was injured most of his career. Judging strictly off his NBA resume, there is no way he is a top 50 player all-time imo. 

Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

Your never going to come to a consensus here. It’s hard to take current players and compare them to guys from 50-60 years ago as its a completely different game now. I would personally put bird in my top 5 over wilt, but your comparing apples and oranges there.

I would flip Kobe and shaq. In my opinion, Kobe had the better overall career even though shaq was more dominant at his peak.

As far as current players, they are kind of difficult to rank because their resume is incomplete. Steph at 23 looks very generous right now but it might look extremely low in 5 years if he keeps playing at the same level he is now.

The most overrated player on the list by far to me is bill walton. Yes, he had a few seasons where he was one of the best in the league but he peak was extremely short-lived and he was injured most of his career. Judging strictly off his NBA resume, there is no way he is a top 50 player all-time imo. 

kobedagoat
      Participant

The most overrated player on this list is undoubtedly Lebron
      My god, no.3 all-time ? this one is a good joke
      But it comes from ESPN who rides Bron’s dick since his HS days, so don’t take any of it too seriusly

2+
      kobedagoat
      Participant

The most overrated player on this list is undoubtedly Lebron
      My god, no.3 all-time ? this one is a good joke
      But it comes from ESPN who rides Bron’s dick since his HS days, so don’t take any of it too seriusly

2+
    2quick4u
    Participant

lebron at nº3 ahead of magic and chamberlain is a non sense..no reasons in terms of individual achievements (mvp’s/stats), no reasons in terms of collective achievements (titles) and no reasons in terms of impact in the game..

but to me the biggest joke has to be kevin durant at nº22 ahead of elgin baylor, pippen, isiah thomas, havlicek or even wade.. that’s a good one.. curry shouldn’t be there neither but at least he’s won a ring and is showing something never seen before..

2quick4u
    Participant

lebron at nº3 ahead of magic and chamberlain is a non sense..no reasons in terms of individual achievements (mvp’s/stats), no reasons in terms of collective achievements (titles) and no reasons in terms of impact in the game..

but to me the biggest joke has to be kevin durant at nº22 ahead of elgin baylor, pippen, isiah thomas, havlicek or even wade.. that’s a good one.. curry shouldn’t be there neither but at least he’s won a ring and is showing something never seen before..

barbabodom
    Participant

CP3 ahead Nash and Kidd looks so wrong to me.

barbabodom
    Participant

CP3 ahead Nash and Kidd looks so wrong to me.

2quick4u
    Participant

and bob petit at 34 has to be the most underrated..

2quick4u
    Participant

and bob petit at 34 has to be the most underrated..

TRC1991
    Participant

I also think Elgin Baylor and Dwyane Wade behind Curry is a big fun joke 

TRC1991
    Participant

TRC1991
    Participant

TRC1991
    Participant

dcase
    Participant

There is definitely a recency bias with these rankings.  As many have already pointed out Curry and Durant are rated too high.  Whoever does these rankings forgets how great former players were.  My biggest issue was Oscar being ranked way too low at #11.  I also took exception with LBJ over Magic and Wilt.  When the top 50 players were announced back in the 90s Dave Bing was considered one of them yet these ESPN folks failed to include them in their top 100.

dcase
    Participant

There is definitely a recency bias with these rankings.  As many have already pointed out Curry and Durant are rated too high.  Whoever does these rankings forgets how great former players were.  My biggest issue was Oscar being ranked way too low at #11.  I also took exception with LBJ over Magic and Wilt.  When the top 50 players were announced back in the 90s Dave Bing was considered one of them yet these ESPN folks failed to include them in their top 100.

JDB12
    Participant

Yeah, I think there was a little bias in favor of the active NBA players.  Curry is by far my favorite player and believe it or not has been since he was at Davidson, but he is too high.  It just seems like they put him at 23 to please the Curry/Warrior craze going on right now.  I also feel like they put him so high just because of how much he’ll shatter his own single game 3pt record this season if he stays healthy, which is a pretty amazing accomplishment, but not worth the 23rd spot yet.

JDB12
    Participant

Yeah, I think there was a little bias in favor of the active NBA players.  Curry is by far my favorite player and believe it or not has been since he was at Davidson, but he is too high.  It just seems like they put him at 23 to please the Curry/Warrior craze going on right now.  I also feel like they put him so high just because of how much he’ll shatter his own single game 3pt record this season if he stays healthy, which is a pretty amazing accomplishment, but not worth the 23rd spot yet.

lalaila
    Participant

usually the guys gets their credit when they finish their careers, but this is vice versa.

Because seems like MOST of todays stars are overrated in this list. Is it just a good marketing to hype players before ASW or what, its up to us to decide.

Talking about underrated Ewing is one of them.

PLus as much as I respect Dirk. its very very usual people have Tim, Malone, Barkley, KG.

lalaila
    Participant

usually the guys gets their credit when they finish their careers, but this is vice versa.

Because seems like MOST of todays stars are overrated in this list. Is it just a good marketing to hype players before ASW or what, its up to us to decide.

Talking about underrated Ewing is one of them.

PLus as much as I respect Dirk. its very very usual people have Tim, Malone, Barkley, KG.

Magic Jordan
    Participant

Not even Greekballin can defend Lebron being number 3 on the all time list.  

Magic Jordan
    Participant

Not even Greekballin can defend Lebron being number 3 on the all time list.  

NBAjunkie81
    Participant

I understand that espn is trying to appeal to a younger target group…….. And for that reason I figured they would project a bit…… or A Lot depending on your opinion, lol…..  I think they depended a little too much on analytics……

When it comes down to it we are splitting hairs….. Most of us agree in principal on the top 10…. top 25….. top 50….. & so on…. What we argue over is the order….. I guess my only complaint (other than the order of some) is that the really failed to put much thought into just how Great Pre – Expansion Championship teams really were…..

For  example, I’ll use Isaiah Thomas who played in the Pre – Expansion era (1989 – 1995) at a time when Centers ruled the game & he had Bill Lambier as his starting Center…. Thomas had probably a top 3 All Time Finals clutch performance (game 6 at LA in 1988)…. & if not for absolutely Herculean efforts by Bird (87), Magic & Kareem (88) & Michael Jordan (91)….. Thomas wins 5 straight Rings…..

And I realize there are counter arguments…. My only point is that espn put so much weight on factors like Rings….. but really did no calculations regarding the opponents that these players both Won & Lost to…..

For example, Michael Jordan not making the Finals till year 7 sounds bad….. Until you consider that 4 of the greatest teams to ever exist: Sixers, Pistons, Celtics & Lakers were blocking his team….. That carries a great deal of weight for me personally…..

NBAjunkie81
    Participant

I understand that espn is trying to appeal to a younger target group…….. And for that reason I figured they would project a bit…… or A Lot depending on your opinion, lol…..  I think they depended a little too much on analytics……

When it comes down to it we are splitting hairs….. Most of us agree in principal on the top 10…. top 25….. top 50….. & so on…. What we argue over is the order….. I guess my only complaint (other than the order of some) is that the really failed to put much thought into just how Great Pre – Expansion Championship teams really were…..

For  example, I’ll use Isaiah Thomas who played in the Pre – Expansion era (1989 – 1995) at a time when Centers ruled the game & he had Bill Lambier as his starting Center…. Thomas had probably a top 3 All Time Finals clutch performance (game 6 at LA in 1988)…. & if not for absolutely Herculean efforts by Bird (87), Magic & Kareem (88) & Michael Jordan (91)….. Thomas wins 5 straight Rings…..

And I realize there are counter arguments…. My only point is that espn put so much weight on factors like Rings….. but really did no calculations regarding the opponents that these players both Won & Lost to…..

For example, Michael Jordan not making the Finals till year 7 sounds bad….. Until you consider that 4 of the greatest teams to ever exist: Sixers, Pistons, Celtics & Lakers were blocking his team….. That carries a great deal of weight for me personally…..

RioRep
      Participant

You’re my idol! 

Only you could have brought the great Isiah Thomas into the conversation.

And you hit the right button when you mention competition.

Lebron played against nobody in comparison to  guys in the 80s and 90s.

This ESPN list is a joke.

cheers!

RioRep
      Participant

You’re my idol! 

Only you could have brought the great Isiah Thomas into the conversation.

And you hit the right button when you mention competition.

Lebron played against nobody in comparison to  guys in the 80s and 90s.

This ESPN list is a joke.

cheers!

Snubs15
    Participant

How did Blake Griffin get ranked 75th? Shouldn’t be ahead of Bosh… Bosh has had a far more successful career and has proven to be able to carry a team to the playoffs(Raptors) , not to mention he helped Lebron and Wade get two rings in Miami.

Snubs15
    Participant

How did Blake Griffin get ranked 75th? Shouldn’t be ahead of Bosh… Bosh has had a far more successful career and has proven to be able to carry a team to the playoffs(Raptors) , not to mention he helped Lebron and Wade get two rings in Miami.

Ahkasi Clay
    Participant

Pippen is to low,  

Ahkasi Clay
    Participant

Pippen is to low,  

Pro-21
    Participant

Seriously, if you look up every single advanced statistic, LeBron is in the top 5. No single statistic says everything about a player, but honestly? There’s no way to shrug off all of them.

LeBron has only lost one finals series he should have won, and that was in 2011. His teams have never been knocked out in the first round and unlike everyone on this list not named jordan, stats say he was unquestionably the best player in the league for more than 5 years.

RioRep
      Participant

Competition does. If stats had the final say, Wilt should be the best by far. With Robertson in second place.

RioRep
      Participant

Competition does. If stats had the final say, Wilt should be the best by far. With Robertson in second place.

Pro-21
    Participant

Seriously, if you look up every single advanced statistic, LeBron is in the top 5. No single statistic says everything about a player, but honestly? There’s no way to shrug off all of them.

LeBron has only lost one finals series he should have won, and that was in 2011. His teams have never been knocked out in the first round and unlike everyone on this list not named jordan, stats say he was unquestionably the best player in the league for more than 5 years.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login