ESpn Insider 2011 NUMBER ONE PICK ACCORDING TO SCOUTS

The lake show2
The lake show2's picture
ESpn Insider 2011 NUMBER ONE PICK ACCORDING TO SCOUTS

With needs everywhere, the Cavs could go in just about any direction. But if there's one spot where they have some talent, it's at the point with Mo Williams and Ramon Sessions. That will likely lead Cleveland into the arms of Jones. Of all the players in the draft, Jones would have the most upside. He is essentially a guard in a 6-foot-11 body, can play four positions and is unselfish, almost to a fault. That versatility is what makes him so intriguing to the Cavs -- he's the sort of player a team can build around in a number of ways. Whether Jones ever makes good on his potential is up in the air. But for a team in desperate need of talent, Jones might offer the most. ------

----

The Wolves have Kevin Love and Beasley at forward, but Jones would add something to the mix that neither brings: length and explosive athleticism. Love and Beasley struggle guarding forwards in the league like Jones, but Jones himself shouldn't have that problem. Given that the Wolves wouldn't expect too much too soon, it might be the freshman's ideal landing spot.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is one of the easier picks. The Kings have been shopping for a point guard for months. They now know Tyreke Evans is more of a 2, and even though Beno Udrih has played well at times, Irving is a big upgrade for the future.

The Duke prospect's ability to lead, shoot the ball and step in and play from day one is a big factor for the Kings. So is the fact that Irving doesn't have the same personality issues that Evans and DeMarcus Cousins have.

The Raptors are another team that has been looking for a long-term upgrade at the 1. Jose Calderon has played well, and Toronto likes what Jerryd Bayless brings. But Irving's a better, younger version of Calderon who would fit in nicely with a young core that includes Bargnani, Ed Davis and DeMar DeRozan.

This is a no-brainer if the Nets actually own the pick in June. As everyone in the universe knows by now, the Nets were in talks with the Nuggets about a Carmelo Anthony trade.

Last week Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov pulled out of the negotiations and the Nets are signaling that they may just rebuild with young players. If they do, Irving would be the choice. The team has never been sold on Devin Harris as the point guard of the future and thinks Irving is a long-term better fit, especially if he's healthy.

The Wizards drafted their point guard of the future last June, so I think you can cross Irving off the board. You can eliminate Kanter, too, as the team thinks Javale McGee has a bright future. Which makes Jones the default choice here. The Wizards have explored moving Andray Blatche, and even if they can't, Wiz execs think Jones would be an upgrade

The Pistons need more size and length, which seems to point to either Jones or Kanter. But from what I gather, Irving is atop their board. The team has invested a lot in Rodney Stuckey at the point, but he has not shown the same feel for the position as Irving. With Rip Hamilton having one foot out the door, the Pistons could start Irving and Stuckey in the backcourt, which would free Stuckey to be more of a pure scorer.

The Bucks already have their point guard of the future in Brandon Jennings, which likely rules out Irving. Meanwhile, they do need athleticism in the frontcourt, and Jones seems like a perfect fit. Drew Gooden and Corey Maggette aren't the long-term solutions for the Bucks, and teaming Jones with Jennings and Andrew Bogut would give the Bucks a great trio of young players.

The Pacers' biggest needs are for an athletic 4 and a 2-guard who can create his own shot off the dribble. But if he's available, it's hard to see the Pacers passing on Irving. Coming into the season, it looked as though Darren Collison was the Pacers' point guard of the future, but his so-so season may give them pause. Besides, Irving is a better prospect. Jones isn't out of the question here either, though his lack of toughness might scare off Indiana.

This is another simple one. The Clippers have young players they really like at every position. But if they were going to replace one of them, it would be point guard Eric Bledsoe. Bledsoe is having a good rookie season (7.3 ppg, 4.2 apg), but he doesn't have the same feel for the game as Irving, nor is he as good a shooter. Put Irving, Blake Griffin, Eric Gordon and Al-Farouq Aminu together and you have a really terrific young core

The Warriors have specialized over the years in drafting long, athletic forwards without defined positions. For the most part, they haven't panned out -- from Anthony Randolph to Brandan Wright, these guys are the poster children for why teams might want to shy away from Jones. On the other hand, what the Warriors need more than anything is some length and athleticism at the forward position. If Jones is the real deal, he'd really help them.

This one could go either way, but I think the Rockets would lean slightly toward Irving. Aaron Brooks and Kyle Lowry are solid point guards, but neither has the complete package that Irving does. The Rockets could use help at all five positions, but Irving seems like the best fit, especially if Brooks, a restricted free agent this summer, departs.

Steve Nash, who turns 37 in less than a month, is not going to be running the show forever. In fact, some believe he may not be running the Suns' offense in a month. Phoenix says it doesn't want to trade Nash, but as he is the team's only major asset, it may have to. Either way, Irving is a great long-term replacement as the Suns start to rebuild.

Mike Conley was once supposed to be what scouts are projecting Irving to be. Conley has improved this season and was rewarded with a fat extension. But I still think the team would take Irving if he's available. Scouts project Irving to be a better pro, and the Grizzlies can bring him along slowly and/or make Conley available via trade

Up until now, we've had every team taking either Irving or Jones. The Sixers are the only notable exception. They have their point guard of the future, Jrue Holiday, and plenty of wings, but they lack any real presence in the paint. Had Kanter been allowed to play for Kentucky, he might have earned this spot at the top. Still, as the only center in the draft with major upside, he would go No. 1 anyway if Philly gets the pick

D.J. Augustin has done a solid job as Raymond Felton's replacement since Paul Silas took over the team. But Augustin doesn't have the upside or the creative scoring ability that Irving does. This would be a big upgrade for the Bobcats at a critical position.

esperanzafleet69
esperanzafleet69's picture
i have to say this... anybody

i have to say this... anybody else notice how well demar derozan has been playing lately??

The lake show2
The lake show2's picture
Yeah i noticed he has really

Yeah i noticed he has really been balling

Leftovers16
links?

what you said is pretty obvious and bright as day

The lake show2
The lake show2's picture
Cant put link because its NBA

Cant put link because its NBA insider ( like the heading said ) and if you havn't paid to have it then the link wouldnt send you to it

TyrekeJones
Thanks for the post! Was very

Thanks for the post! Was very curious as to what they said, and yea I have noticed how well Derozan has been doing lately, hopefully he stays consistent, I am happy he has shown such improvment and isn't all just potential and actually has the work ethic to get better and improve on every aspect of his game.

PaulsJayhawks
Derozan

Has really become much more consistant with the outside jumper. Everyone played him drive before so he had no where to go. He seems like a hard worked, like his upside.

gregoden08
gregoden08's picture
lol

" He is essentially a guard in a 6-foot-11 body, can play four positions and is unselfish, almost to a fault.:

He can't play four positions lol...whoever said that obviously hasn't seen him play. He's a tweener who happens to be an athletic freak with a lot of upside. I'm not that high on Jones to be honest, but there's no doubt in my mind that he will be a top-3 pick.

The lake show2
The lake show2's picture
^^^ I agree. You always

^^^ I agree. You always have some scouts who think if a big guy can dribble a little and hit a jumper then he can play four or five positions

Snubs15
Snubs15's picture
Yeah to me Jones is just a 3

Yeah to me Jones is just a 3 or a 4. Hes not quick enough to guard 2's at all and an nba center would bully him down low.

And if Derozan can improve his 3pt jumpshot and his defense i dont see why he wont be an all star in this league.

SwatLakeCity
What about Kanter to the

What about Kanter to the Wolves. Not Jones because the Wolves don't have room for him. Beasley and Love are already playing the 2 forward spots. The Wolves like Darko but we all know he will never play like the Wolves need him to. Get a Center who can and could really help this team. If Kahn is smart he will draft Enes Kanter

omphalos
omphalos's picture
Darko is fine for the Wolves

Darko is fine for the Wolves at C. Irving would be a better pick, because he doesn't seem to have the character issues of Rubio who doesn't look like he'll play for the T'Wolves. Irving, Beasley, Love, Darko are 4 starters set, and sooner or later they'll figure out what to do with the SG position. Wolves would be very young, but give them a proper coach to build with - I'm thinking Mike Woodson after his job in Atlanta - and they'll take big strides in a few years.

The lake show2
The lake show2's picture
I think they will sign a

I think they will sign a Shooting with all the cap room they have

midwestbbscout
midwestbbscout's picture
please

post as many insider articles as possible.....I refuse to pay to read Chad Ford

RSS: Syndicate content