This topic contains 16 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Hitster 6 years, 6 months ago.

• Author
    Taylor Gang Mike
    Participant

Wowwwwwwwwww Why did my Sixers do thiss!! SMH… he wont ever play over 50 games and we waste this money. Heck of a talent but come on

SubZero
    Participant

5 years from now, this will either be the best signing or the worst signing depending on how healthy he stays. Only time will tell

I don’t think they really had a choice though. Health notwithstanding, talents like him don’t come along very often and if they didn’t give him the money, some other team definitely would.

OhCanada-
    Participant

Cant believe how ironic this is. They didnt learn a thing from the Bynum incident. With that being said they probably have done examinations on Embiid and declared the reward is greater than the risk. Either way it would seem wise to have him play out the season right, I understand boosting morale and putting Embiid at ease but still make the guy earn it. I hope it works out for them and Embiid has a long healthy career.

SlickBouncePass
      Participant

Let’s see what happens but, their diagnosis and prognosis has been poor.

They are very much babying their babies.  

I’m happy Simmons is playing tonight.  He should be their rock starter every night, the other guys in Fultz and Embiid  and Jah they have been extremely cautious with..  Tired of the Sixers giving all their players nights off, their players need to grind and have the mentality of "bench me and die".  

Happy for Embiid but looking at the rest of their roster it is not very impressive without him.  

The team they’ve put out over the preseason is very shaky right now.  Simmons has only proved he is a 6’10” extremely fast athlete that CANNOT finish well at the rim and shoot for a lick.  

Fultz right now is young and doesn’t appear to be strongly framed, and his shot went from butter to ass.  Hoping he returns to form soon and figures it all out.  

OhCanada-
        Participant

I actually think they have enough talent to be competitive in the East for the next decade with or without Embiid. Richaun Holmes is a beast at C and a guy that will give your team tons of extra possessions and can stretch the floor. Okafor is a super skilled throwback C. Those two can hold it down at C. Every other position is 2 players deep. PG-Fultz/Mcconnell SG-Redick, Bayless, Korkmaz SF-Simmons, Covington PF-Saric, Johnson, Humphries. They have a nice blend of young players and vets and if healthy should secure a playoff spot. very positionless and interchangable roster as well Im excited to see what theyve got and kinda scared, they should be better than the Raptors sooner than later.

publius2481
    Participant

I want to see what protections are in the contract in case of injury before I judge it entirely (according to reports there are some in the contract). For those claiming some team would have given him this, wrong, no team but the Sixers can offer him this (he is a super max designatee). Now, some team would have offered him the regular max if he was reasonably healthy next year and produced similar to last year. If the protections drop the amount they owe significantly below the max another team could offer in the event of injury, it is a good deal. If not, I would highly question why they did this. 

SubZero
      Participant

Yeah I meant some team would offer him come free agency, not the rookie contract extension

wonzi_bells
    Participant

Zach Lowe just tweeted how an exec said the Embiid contract is one of the most complex ever dealed out. So, there are probably lots and lots of protections.

SlickBouncePass
    Participant

Over at GSW, they had to know Curry had top 5 NBA player talent and maybe greatest shooter ever promise.  But they didn’t max him out.

Even if you know Embiid is an all-world talent, the man himself said he had little leverage and hasn’t been able to stay healthy.  

Obviously you hope this was a calculated move after scanning him up and down, but don’t you think they could’ve negotiated down like GSW was able to do with Curry?

This is a 5 year deal, I think the Sixers are 3 or 4 years from really contending.  He’s a great kid but his max value will be in a year or two after you see he can stay healthy.

Should’ve let the year play out in my opinion.  I think they love him as a person, so they want to keep him happy, and also it reflects well as a business and organization.  Unfortunately, feelings aside, in basketball there is a salary cap so this could really bite them.   

SmooveKRYPT
      Participant

Completely different situation. The cap wasn’t what it is now when Curry was up for an extension…now every RFA who isn’t a headcase gets an automatic max. Jojo could’ve not played a single game this year and there still would’ve been a desperate GM who gave him the max next summer.

And even when Curry played he wasn’t dominant in the way Embiid was last year. His first great year didn’t come until he had already signed the extension.

It’s being reported that there are a ton of protections in this deal. I’m waiting until all the details come out before you can fully asses/judge the contract.

holefillers1
    Participant

This deal can be $175+ if he makes super max criteria…but if he makes an All NBA team who cares what he is paid.

Also Simmons and Saric aren’t due for 2nd contracts for two more seasons.  If Embiid breaks down it would only jam them up for a couple years.  Word is there are salary cap protections worked into the deal so I say it’s all worth it.<

Hitster
    Participant

If Jerry Colangelo has had any input into the contract then Philly would not effectively give Embeast a blank cheque. If there are appearance and achivement factors in it then that is fair to both sides. Given Embiid’s injury record, I’m sure his people were very receptive towards any extension and may not have wanted to risk him going to RFA if he broke down again.

Philly were in the strong position, make an offer now or know at worse they can match any offer next summer. On 2nd contracts the upside is more static, so it’s not like someone can play themselves into a much bigger deal so much.

Memphis Madness
    Participant

Ben Simmons is shooting 3/10 from the line in an exhibition game.  Wow, son.

Fultztastic is 2/5 from the charity stripe.

The Sixers are rolling the dice.  

Early returns are, fortunately, EARLY.

vulture711
      Participant

Simmons can’t shoot – at all…its to the rack or bust

Fultz could shoot, then took the summer tinkering with his release to try and make it quicker – now he looks like he spins it in his hand and flicks it at the basket 

I watched the Celtics game and every Celtic can make open jump shots and a few like Brown and Tatum can create off the dribble…Smart, who wasn’t a good shooter now is

what Sixers outside of JJ and Embiid, when they put the ball up from 18-25 ft are you confident it’s going in ?

I’m not sure what these guys work on over the summer but it’s not shooting.  Most videos of Simmons working out are ball handing and agility – and he already has those skills

Sixers have had a ton of terrible shooters we were told – give them time, they’ll improve, you can learn to shoot – MCW, Turner, Grant, Noel etc – and they still can’t shoot – years later

mowesten
    Participant

I mean, here’s the deal man, they had no choice but to get him locked up as best they could. What’s the alternative?

How many guys have the 76ers drafted in the Tank Years that they have thrown the towel in on? Williams, Noel, Okafor. You can only continue with this merry-go-round of Tank, Draft, Dump, Repeat before you have to get a core group of guys and ride it out.

The Goat
    Participant

They will struggle to reach the salary floor the next few years as their best players are on rookie deals anyway, so may as well pay Embiid, his talent is worth max money. Id rather take the risk than be paying someone like Allen Crabbe, Evan Turner or Melo for the next few years, especially with  protections in place in his contract (as per Zac Lowe). Their medical and training staff now have to earn their money. There’s a Blake Griffin and Zydrunas Ilgauskas for every Oden and Bynum, so congratulations to the Sixers for locking in one of the best big men out there and having faith in their own program.

Hitster
    Participant

They gave a big one year deal to Reddick and a decent sized one to Amir Johnson. The Kings signed veterans too but they gave them longer deals. I personally like how Philly did it, fill up some cap space, get some vets in but if younger guys come through they aren’t there eating up cap space across a number of years.

It allows them to retool, look at other FAs, gives them cap space or 2nd contracts. Reddick and Johnson to a lesser extent have had a good pay day and for Reddick who is 33 now, it gives him the chance to jump on a contender next summer if he wishes.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login