This topic contains 36 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar JoeJo 12 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    Wordslinger
    Participant

Who will have the most succesful season this year?

http://www.thegoodpoint.com/basketball/aug11/duke-vs-unc-previewing-basketballs-best-rivalry.html

Both have great coaches and 5 star recruits, but my money is on UNC because their front court is so deep, and the addition on James McAdoo as likely the first big off the bench makes them so hard to matchup with.

Even if UNC has the better season, could Duke’s guards still win them a head-to-head matchup?

And most importantly, who out there thinks that either of them can beat Kentucky?

rileymcshea3
    Participant

I wanna see Austin Rivers vs Harrison Barns. Two big time scorers I think it would be like a Kobe and LeBron match up 

rileymcshea3
    Participant

I wanna see Austin Rivers vs Harrison Barns. Two big time scorers I think it would be like a Kobe and LeBron match up 

rileymcshea3
    Participant

cheesepillow
    Participant

Can answer this question in a number of ways.

Record wise- Kentucky -> UNC -> Duke
    Tournament perforamance wise – Duke -> UNC = Kentucky

Head 2 Head: UNC > Duke

cheesepillow
    Participant

cheesepillow
    Participant

rileymcshea3
    Participant

Honestly Kentucky is a little overrated to me since they dont have that superroir guard that you need in for College ball to win . They are also gonna be very young and once again they will be missing that veteran experience you need to win in College ball.

rileymcshea3
    Participant

Honestly Kentucky is a little overrated to me since they dont have that superroir guard that you need in for College ball to win . They are also gonna be very young and once again they will be missing that veteran experience you need to win in College ball.

rileymcshea3
    Participant

PrecociousNeophyte
    Participant

I think UNC is the best out of the three teams, with Kentucky coming in second and Duke in third. Kentucky might have more talent on their team, but once again they are a very inexperienced team. UNC will end up being the better team in the end because of their combination of talent and experience.

PrecociousNeophyte
    Participant

I think UNC is the best out of the three teams, with Kentucky coming in second and Duke in third. Kentucky might have more talent on their team, but once again they are a very inexperienced team. UNC will end up being the better team in the end because of their combination of talent and experience.

PrecociousNeophyte
    Participant

Johnny Chill

I doubt Barnes and Rivers will be matched up against each other during games. But it going to be nice to see them play anyways.

I dont think Barnes is the scorer Rivers can and will be. Rivers will be a 25+ pt scorer in the NBA and around 18 points his 1 year at Duke.

Barnes is a more well rounded player, better rebounder, defender, but doesn’t have the 1 on 1 moves Rivers has.

Johnny Chill

I doubt Barnes and Rivers will be matched up against each other during games. But it going to be nice to see them play anyways.

I dont think Barnes is the scorer Rivers can and will be. Rivers will be a 25+ pt scorer in the NBA and around 18 points his 1 year at Duke.

Barnes is a more well rounded player, better rebounder, defender, but doesn’t have the 1 on 1 moves Rivers has.

Johnny Chill

akhan786
    Participant

"Both have great coaches and 5 star recruits" Haha you left out the part where UNC returns their whole entire starting 5…

If Duke were to beat out UNC they would have to have a VERY hot night from Rivers, Curry, and Dawkins.

Duke will live and die by the three (yeah never heard that before), and I can see them losing to cupcake teams due to an off night by all of their premier guards. But I can also see them knock off an elite team (UNC, OSU) if they’re firing on all cylinders and shooting long-range bombs all night.

akhan786
    Participant

"Both have great coaches and 5 star recruits" Haha you left out the part where UNC returns their whole entire starting 5…

If Duke were to beat out UNC they would have to have a VERY hot night from Rivers, Curry, and Dawkins.

Duke will live and die by the three (yeah never heard that before), and I can see them losing to cupcake teams due to an off night by all of their premier guards. But I can also see them knock off an elite team (UNC, OSU) if they’re firing on all cylinders and shooting long-range bombs all night.

akhan786
    Participant

rileymcshea3
    Participant

Johnny Chill thats exactly why I think it would be Kobe and LeBron match up because its sg and sf .

And then sg is the scorer and the sf has the all around game you basically solidified my comparrison

JoeJo
      Participant

Ehh, I think Kobe and Lebron are much too versatile to be the pro matchup version of Rivers and Barnes.  Saying Lebron is the all-around player and Kobe’s the scorer underrates the scoring ability of Lebron and the all-around game of Kobe.  Lebron has averaged over 30 points twice in his career, winning one scoring title.  He’s as lethal a scorer as anybody in the game.  

The matchup that interests me most is Barnes against Gilchrist.  You have the offensive ability of Barnes versus the ballyhooed defensive chops of Gilchrist.  If there’s a definitive winner in this matchup, it could be used at draft time to separate them if they’re closely rated.  I think Barnes has more riding on it because coming into this season, the knock on him is that he struggles against athleticism on the perimeter and attacking the rim.  He has an advanced mid-range game and a solid three point shot but without the ability to penetrate, his ceiling is more in the solid range than perennial all-star/all-nba.  Gilchrirst is going to provide a solid NBA test case in how Barnes matches up against NBA athleticism and defensive ability.  

JoeJo
      Participant

Ehh, I think Kobe and Lebron are much too versatile to be the pro matchup version of Rivers and Barnes.  Saying Lebron is the all-around player and Kobe’s the scorer underrates the scoring ability of Lebron and the all-around game of Kobe.  Lebron has averaged over 30 points twice in his career, winning one scoring title.  He’s as lethal a scorer as anybody in the game.  

The matchup that interests me most is Barnes against Gilchrist.  You have the offensive ability of Barnes versus the ballyhooed defensive chops of Gilchrist.  If there’s a definitive winner in this matchup, it could be used at draft time to separate them if they’re closely rated.  I think Barnes has more riding on it because coming into this season, the knock on him is that he struggles against athleticism on the perimeter and attacking the rim.  He has an advanced mid-range game and a solid three point shot but without the ability to penetrate, his ceiling is more in the solid range than perennial all-star/all-nba.  Gilchrirst is going to provide a solid NBA test case in how Barnes matches up against NBA athleticism and defensive ability.  

JoeJo
      Participant

rileymcshea3
    Participant

Johnny Chill thats exactly why I think it would be Kobe and LeBron match up because its sg and sf .

And then sg is the scorer and the sf has the all around game you basically solidified my comparrison

rileymcshea3
    Participant

Mkadoza
    Participant

I’m sorry, but UNC’s team depth is crazy. No even mentions how talented UNC’s backcourt is with Marshall, Strickland, Leslie, Bullock and Hairston, and I’d put their size, athleticism and depth against Duke everyday. And when you have a frontcourt of Barnes, Henson, McAdoo and Zeller, that seems like the preseason favorite to win it all. I’m already excited… this is a team that really came on at the end of the year, all report are Barnes is putting in work in the offseason, and they add two dynamic players to their already considerable depth. 

On paper, they could be a very very special team.

Mkadoza
    Participant

I’m sorry, but UNC’s team depth is crazy. No even mentions how talented UNC’s backcourt is with Marshall, Strickland, Leslie, Bullock and Hairston, and I’d put their size, athleticism and depth against Duke everyday. And when you have a frontcourt of Barnes, Henson, McAdoo and Zeller, that seems like the preseason favorite to win it all. I’m already excited… this is a team that really came on at the end of the year, all report are Barnes is putting in work in the offseason, and they add two dynamic players to their already considerable depth. 

Mkadoza
    Participant

SmooveKRYPT
    Participant

NC over Duke…the talent and depth in that frontcourt is gonna be hard for anyone to deal with.

I think NC will also beat Kentucky…Anthony Davis will have to work for his all night with Henson defending him, then having to expend energy guarding Henson, Zeller, & McAdoo on the other end. I would LOVE to see the Gilchrist vs. Barnes matchup though!

SmooveKRYPT
    Participant

NC over Duke…the talent and depth in that frontcourt is gonna be hard for anyone to deal with.

I think NC will also beat Kentucky…Anthony Davis will have to work for his all night with Henson defending him, then having to expend energy guarding Henson, Zeller, & McAdoo on the other end. I would LOVE to see the Gilchrist vs. Barnes matchup though!

SmooveKRYPT
    Participant

dye84
    Participant

i think unc will have a better overall record but I dont see them sweeping duke, they will likely split the home and home, as far as kentucky goes, i still think unc is better than them because of the returning players, every year uk has four guys who have to come together and learn a new system, its gotten them to final fours and championships, but they havent it one it yet, but no disrespect to uk tho cuz they will be very good and will smash everyone in the sec

dye84
    Participant

i think unc will have a better overall record but I dont see them sweeping duke, they will likely split the home and home, as far as kentucky goes, i still think unc is better than them because of the returning players, every year uk has four guys who have to come together and learn a new system, its gotten them to final fours and championships, but they havent it one it yet, but no disrespect to uk tho cuz they will be very good and will smash everyone in the sec

dye84
    Participant

uknation
    Participant

UK does have a top notch guard that it takes to lead to a title in case you didn’t know his name is Teague and he’s rated the top PG in his class for a reason.

Went to work in head to head match ups over a two year period with..Tony Wroten,Kabongo, even Kyrie Irving. Also punished some pretty good college guards this summer with CP and Dwill saying he is gonna be a very good Pg next year because he’s too fast to check.

As far as Duke, i’m interested in watching them this season. I watched there two games against China last week and this is what i saw

Mason Plumlee might have gotten worst and looks like he will be coming off the bench if he doesn’t shape up. He couldn’t score,rebound or defend in either game and Miles looked two times better.

Austin Rivers can get any shot he wants and looked very good the first game(18pts). His defense is pretty bad right now though, doesn’t even look like he tries that much.

Dawkins looks good on offense and defense and should be their leader

Ryan Kelly WILL MAKE ALL ACC FIRST TEAM. This kid is the truth. He scores outside or goes hard and dunks on people inside and he rebounds and defends. Never liked him but after hearing how he did in that NC Pro Am and after watching the two games its clear he will be there best player

uknation
    Participant

UK does have a top notch guard that it takes to lead to a title in case you didn’t know his name is Teague and he’s rated the top PG in his class for a reason.

Went to work in head to head match ups over a two year period with..Tony Wroten,Kabongo, even Kyrie Irving. Also punished some pretty good college guards this summer with CP and Dwill saying he is gonna be a very good Pg next year because he’s too fast to check.

As far as Duke, i’m interested in watching them this season. I watched there two games against China last week and this is what i saw

Mason Plumlee might have gotten worst and looks like he will be coming off the bench if he doesn’t shape up. He couldn’t score,rebound or defend in either game and Miles looked two times better.

Austin Rivers can get any shot he wants and looked very good the first game(18pts). His defense is pretty bad right now though, doesn’t even look like he tries that much.

Ryan Kelly WILL MAKE ALL ACC FIRST TEAM. This kid is the truth. He scores outside or goes hard and dunks on people inside and he rebounds and defends. Never liked him but after hearing how he did in that NC Pro Am and after watching the two games its clear he will be there best player

uknation
    Participant

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login