This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Memphis Madness 6 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
    BlueRivers25
    Participant

Rank #1 to start the Season in both polls. Also #1 in ACC. 

This team is about 9-10 deep, but very young roster. Only 1 Sr and 1 Jr. 

1: Duval

2: Allen – 1st team All-American

3: Trent Jr

4: Bagley 3 – 2nd team All-American

5: Carter Jr 

Bench: DeLauirer, Bolden, Goldwire, Connolly, Vrank, White, Robinson, Jordan. 

Memphis Madness
    Participant

With the way college basketball going and the way that Duke is dominating recruiting (and to a lesser extent other top schools like Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, and Arizona), I wouldn’t be suprised if Duke wins 3 or 4 titles in a row.

College basketball hasn’t had an extended dynasty since the John Wooden UCLA teams.

I think the current Duke product is approaching that level.  

Not sure it would be good for college basketball, but some epic title games would be great for ratings (at least for awhile).

Duke vs. UNC. Then, finally, Coach K (Duke) vs. Coach Cal (Kentucky). Throw in a Duke-UCLA matchup in there, too, with LiAngelo "I’m Big In China" Ball doing his own thing..

In college football, you have some real power house programs at the top.

You also have a BIG FIVE (conferences) and a GROUP OF FIVE (conferences) with the Big Five basically running the show, and the Group of Five getting a crumb or two.

In college basketball, it looks like it is coming down to a BIG FIVE (teams) with Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, and Michigan State.  

Then you have a GROUP OF FIVE (teams) consisting of Arizona, Villanova, Gonzaga (although I am not sure what they have this year), UCLA (ditto), and, probably Florida.

The BIG FIVE can expect to dominate the Final Four.  Add that to the Group of Five and you get at least half your expected Sweet 16 every year.

Then maybe a WILD CARD FIVE with some big name teams in it, who CAN make a run to the second weekend but should probably just be happy with one win in the tourney (and then you are done) led by a couple of future 2nd round picks.  

A WILD CARD FIVE could be Wichita State, Ohio State, Xavier, Oregon, and another SEC/Big East/Big 12/Big 10 team.  So Texas or Georgetown or Indiana or Butler or Michigan can expect to make a nice run every few years, but not much more than that.

So, basically that gives you a REALLY SMALL winner’s circle and even a relatively small fringe contender circle.

That BIG FIVE football money also means that EVERY mediocre college basketball program can offer a coach more money than a really solid "upstart outsider team" like Wichita State or Gonzaga or Memphis can.  

The AAC is the 6th best conference in football — but there is a YUGE money difference between us and the BIG FIVE.  So, that will trickle down into basketball.  Maybe Cincy, UConn, Memphis, Wichita State, and those other schools in the conference don’t have as high of a ceiling as they used to — because that major football money isn’t there.

Big Time Money runs college BASKETBALL, too, and you will likely see an increase in that.

So, March Madness might offer a little less MADNESS.  And, closer to a Kentucky-Duke-Kansas-UNC Death March than anything…

BlueRivers25
    Participant

Duke might compete for titles, but winning 3-4 in a row in the 1and done era will be hard to accomplish. 

Memphis Madness
    Participant

Well, they are now getting the best 1 and done guys.  One after the other.  And, Coach K can do that whole coaching thing.

I think they might get rid of the 1 and done rule.  That might actually help Duke.  Less variability and they will still get monster recruiting classes.

I think the gap between the Blue Chip Schools in the "power conferences" and everybody else is widening.

That’s how you get dynasties.  A loaded team at the top, and less competitive balance.  

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login