This topic contains 12 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar The Goat 5 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
    Illadelph
    Participant

The combine is over, and draft boards have been re-jiggered to reflect writers’ persceptions of who is 1st round worthy and who is not.  I have some thoughts onthe matter.  Please feel free to share yours as well.

First, I though Dante Divincenzo was first round talent when I watched the tourney in the spring.  The more I looked into him, the more I think that he has what it takes to stick at the next level.  He’s a winner, he’s a good shooter (40% from 3), and has insane athleticism (highest vertical leap at the combine at 42 inches).  He has been well-coached, and has the intangibles that became evident in team interviews.  Mark my words, he will be a 1st round pick.

Gary Trent Jr. – Imho it is absurd that some mocks have him in the mid to late second round.  Sure, before the combine he was the guy that got lost in the shuffle at Duke.  He is a lot more athletic than I thought, and I see him being an absolute steal if he goes in the second round.  I really think he is a first round guy but he is probably going to be taken in the second and will have to prove himself to whatever team that selects him.  I think he is going to be a solid NBA player.

Grayson Allen is not a first round pick.  I see him in some mocks as a late first rounder but I think teams understand that he brings shooting and passion, but he is not an elite athlete or defender.  And I think that he would have been a first rounder if he had come out after his sophomore year because he still had "upside" at that point.  But now as a senior, there will probably only be incremental upside to his game and SG is prob the most competitive spot in the NBA.  Plus there are all of the examples of odd behavior like the dirty play, and crying in the locker room talking about how much he is "growing" as a man, and all that.  That is not gonna help the guy get drafted.

Trevon Duval is not a first rounder either.  This surprised me because he had a ton of hype coming in to Duke last year.  He was being compared to Dennis Smith jr, and he was the #1 PG in his class.  Not sure if it he got lost in the shuffle at Duke, or just needs a little more time to develop, but he seems like he is firmly entrenched in the 2nd round.  Surprising.  There are reports out there that he realized that he was being recruited over and that his time was now or never and he’s probably right about that.  Tre Jones is the #1 PG of his class and he is being hyped as a one and done guy too.  Duke is pretty much like Kentucky in that aspect.  Your spot is never safe, and if you don’t produce you will lose your spot to the next phenom coming in.

Hamidou Diallo is getting slept on somewhat.  He too will be a second rounder but I feel that he has "upside", and is still learning the game.  Given his wingspan, speed, and improving defense, I think that he is a couple of years away from being a starter.  He will probably be chilling in the G-League next season but I see him catching on after that and developing into a defensive role-player.

Svi Mykhailuk may not get drafted.  I feel like he has been in college for a decade and he is 35 years old.  The reality is that he is younger than some juniors in the draft.  I watched the guy a lot over the last 4 years and he is a very good college player, but I don’t see him doing anything at an elite NBA level.  Even his shooting which was talked about incessantly is not that good.  He probably heads back to the old country and has a nice pro career there.  

Robert Williams is my favorite player in the draft.  Why?  Because he is a freak athlete, is very fast, very raw with a ton of room to improve, and he can protect the rim.  I wouldn’t take him higher than 4 or 5.  The only thing I question about him is desire.  He seemed to really play hard last year in big games but kinda sand-bagged it against lesser teams.  I hope he has passion for the game and shows that early on.  If he does, he will be a great teammate to have. He will probably fall into the late first round.

The most talented player in the draft is Doncic imho.  I think Phoenix will take Ayton because Ayton is really really good, and arguable what they need right now.  But the best player in the draft is Doncic and he could finally be the next foreign superstar that could help the Suns actually become good.

All right share your thoughts guys.

Lotto Stud
    Participant

Just to piggyback off the DiVincenzo mention, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Clippers pulled the trigger since they have 2 picks to play with.

BeastMode716
    Participant

But his size & lack of athletic ability concern me – I def think he will be really good as a play maker 

And we Must put this is Context – when you are picking #1 – you are Hoping to land a Franchise Super Star who can lead your team to Finals contention 

I don;t think Doncic at that level b/c he’s the size of an NBA Wing or large 2 Guard so he’s kind of a tweener b/c w/ Points we see either a Point Forward or a Point Guard

He is not a great shooter & he is going to struggle w/ the speed & athleticism of the game 

In these playoffs we saw what looked like a Phila team that could go to the Finals totally Undone b/c Boston literally Hunted JJ Reddick on Offense – whoever was matched up w/ Reddick was the Go To Guy & Reddick got Shredded 

We’re seeing Cleveland Hunt Terry Rozier; Houston is hunting Steff Curry. Any team that picks Doncic will deal w/ this in the playoffs – I keep hearing people say Oh well Josh Jackson will just pick up the slack Defensively – it doesn’t work that way any more b/c of complicated Switches, Screens, Pin Downs & So on…..

Ayton’s sheer size & ability to score will create Massive mismatches all over the floor & create a ton of space for Josh Jackson to cut & Booker to do whatever he wants from outside 

My God an inside outside game w/ Ayton & Booker w/ Jackson cutting will be a Nightmare 

BeastMode716
    Participant

the college game is so much diff than the Pro’s Divenchenzo has excellent size at 6’5” can attack the Rim off the dribble & hit the 3pt shot 

He could grow into a great 6th man for a playoff team some day who gets on the court & provides energy & instant offense

I like Williams & Diallo too – a lot of this is Context – where a team is picking & what you expect from a guy depends a lot on where he is drafted

Arc12345
    Participant

I am certainly not a Grayson Allen fan but saying he’s not an elite level athlete is just wrong. IMO that’s about all he has, as his ball skills and handles need a lot of work (as many have said he’s almost strictly a line driver).

He had the fourth highest max veritcal leap (40.5), second best shuttle (3.4 sec), and the best lane agility time (10.31 sec) which is top 5 EVER for the combine.

I still don’t think he’ll be a great NBA player, but saying he’s not an elite level athlete is nonsense.

XYRYX
      Participant

Thank you for the Allen comment. Not the first time on here and also at other draft places people argue that Dante is a first tier athlete and somehow Allen is not when they both had very good combine measurements. Also some people seem to believe that a good/very good vertical is the same as beeing a good overall athlete…

Also funny that the biggest knock against Doncic is his mediocre outside shot but who beside KD was ever drafted top 2 and is/was a really good 3 point shooter? Can’t really think about one. 

Memphis Madness
    Participant

Yeah I could see Donte Inferno going to the Clips, too.

For some reason he reminds me of Jerry West.

If I am The Logo I get Donte Inferno at 12 and Robert Williams III.  I like him pretty good.  Somebody on the Grizz board LOVES RWIII.

My comps for RWIII are Karl Malone and, moreso, Gus Johnson.  Watched some Gus Johnson highlights last night, the guy was a BEAST.

I am a bigger fan of Collin Sexton than Trae Young.  So Trae is a poor man’s Steph Curry?  I think that is what Steph Curry is NOW.  

Orwellian KD aka Michael Porter, Jr. is somebody I am a bit MEH on.  I would be more intrigued about getting Luka Doncic on the Grizz although I have them ranked similarly on my mock lottery board that I just updated.  Porter gives you shooting/scoring/dunks while Luka gives you more playmaking and leadership.  Luka probably helps you win more.  

Updated Mock Lotto Big Board:

1. Bamba

2. Mikal Bridges

3. Collin Sexton

4. Ayton

5. Mitchell Robinson

6. Robert Williams III

7. Marvin Bagley III

8. Porter

9. Donte Inferno

10. Luka Doncic

11. Jaren Jackson, Jr.

12. Wendell Carter, Jr.

13. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

14. Trae Young

Next in: Kevin Knox

True_Jafi
      Participant

You board looks crazy lol. You Mitchell robinson 5th? Over Bagley and Jackson Jr! 

Gronounours
        Participant

Well you don’t get over 2,000 negs by accident.

Robb_CRobb_C
    Robb_C
    Participant

Svi looks like put on some solid size, he has a torch!!

He’ll be around in the league..

Gary Clark from Cincy is being slept on!!! His jumper is very improved!

Robb_CRobb_C
    Robb_C
    Participant

Svi looks like put on some solid size, he has a torch!!

He’ll be around in the league..

Gary Clark from Cincy is being slept on!!! His jumper is very improved!

Andrew1984
    Participant

My bold predictions are of course subject to change as new intel surfaces, but here’s some wild ones for ya:

Michael Porter Jr. to Sacramento at No. 2; the allure of a Chris Webber sequel is too tantalizing for Vlade, his former teammate, to pass up.

Mo Bamba to Dallas No. 5; they don’t seem likely to commit to Nerlens Noel given his injury history, and based on comments coming out of New Orleans, I doubt they’re letting Boogie walk. Bamba played in Austin in college. Cuban would be getting the rim protection he lusted after with DeAndre Jordan, but on a rookie deal. DSJ-Barnes-Bamba would offer solid offense-defense balance.

I have Grayson Allen going to San Antonio at No. 18; that just feels like a Popp pick to me; he’s an experienced player who is feisty, has played for a great coach, and can assume some ball-handling duties when on the floor with Dejounte Murray. Bryn Forbes and Danny Green are probably not the long-term answer in the backcourt.

I have Miles Bridges dropping to the 20s, as I believe his lack of refinement, polish, and skill will be exposed in the pre-draft process.

The Goat
    Participant

Would the Clips trade up their two picks to the Magic’s #6? Perhaps Orlando needs to throw something in. The Magic have Fournier, Gordon & Isaac are both 4s if you ask me, then Vucevic. The rest is a mess. They really need a wing and a point guard so i think they need two picks. They could target Shai GA and Miles Bridges. The Clippers may lose Jordan, so Bamba would be a good replacement in that range. If they keep Jordan, the last one available of Porter Jnr, Trae Young, Doncic, JJJ, Bagley or Ayton will fit. 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login